OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I'm after an acute matte screen for the Hassie which they don't have

Have you used an acute matte screen before? Awesomely bright, but relatively difficult to focus in my experience (I had the second version), at least compared to Bronica or Mamiya screens (although they are definitely better than Rick Oleson-style screens).

If you have the chance, I do recommend finding some way to test one to be sure you like it, especially as they can be pricey.

Have you used an acute matte screen before? Awesomely bright, but relatively difficult to focus in my experience (I had the second version), at least compared to Bronica or Mamiya screens (although they are definitely better than Rick Oleson-style screens).

If you have the chance, I do recommend finding some way to test one to be sure you like it, especially as they can be pricey.

I've not used one no. The main reason I'm looking for a new screen is because I'm not convinced that the screen I currently have is a genuine Hasselblad one. I've got focussing issues at the moment, and before I send it to Miles for a CLA (£110) or repair, I wanted to try a genuine screen and see if that fixes the problem. I've just ordered a plain screen from Ffordes, but I think I want to invest in a better one later on. Not sure if there's anywhere I can try one out first, but there's always the option to return it if I dislike it I guess.

Well the new screen arrived today, and it's not actually that much darker than the one I have been using. It might be a *little* bit dimmer, but not enough that I can actually tell easily. One thing I have noticed is that the whole screen is much more evenly lit now, and the corners are much brighter. I'll get out and use it over the weekend and see how I get on! If it doesn't help then it'll be in a box and sent to Miles.

HassieScreens.jpg

An OM-M4/3, M39-M4/3 and a M42-M4/3 lens adapters for my 'new' Olympus Pen which should arrive tomorrow. Can't afford a M4/3 lens so I shall use my largish collect of old film lenses instead.

I was a bit worried about Chinese quality but they seem to be well made.

My Olympus Pen E-PL3 arrived today and I have been out playing with it with my old lenses. Olympus Zuiko Auto-S works well as does the Helios 44-2. The M39 adapter does not work - it fits the camera ok but the screen blacks out and the camera does not work - this is without a lens being attached to the adapter. Samples:
Olympus Zuiiko Auto-s 50mm lens
Zuiko-5.jpg Zuiko-6.jpg Zuiko-5.jpg Zuiko-6.jpg Zuiko-3.jpg Zuiko-7.jpg Zuiko.jpg

I picked up a Tamron Twin-Tele 135mm f2.8 lens today that has the original converter to make it into a 225mm f5.6 lens. Bargain of £15 from a camera shop near work.
It's a T2 mount, and came with an M42/T2 mount, but I'll also buy an OM/T2 mount so that I can use it both my Pentax Spotmatic and OM20.
I have tested it on my DSLR and it works really well, looks clear and with it's 11 curved-blade aperture gives lovely bokeh.
Maybe I'll just shoot a whole roll of film with it.

well ive gone and scratched a few itch'es today got a wait for it-------------------------------------------
canon t70:p,and a pentax p30t so well covered for ugly buggers now:D dont know why call it nutty ive always fancied these two.:exit:

but just to get a little credibility back also got a lovely little oly xa with a11 flash all boxed with booklets.
looking for a lens for the pentax if anyone can suggest a 50mm or 35 mm thats good to use.

well ive gone and scratched a few itch'es today got a wait for it-------------------------------------------
canon t70:p,and a pentax p30t so well covered for ugly buggers now:D dont know why call it nutty ive always fancied these two.:exit:

but just to get a little credibility back also got a lovely little oly xa with a11 flash all boxed with booklets.
looking for a lens for the pentax if anyone can suggest a 50mm or 35 mm thats good to use.

I use a Rikenon 50mm f/2 on my P30T (I actually bought the camera because I had the lens sat doing nothing and wanted to put it to use!). It's nice and sharp and they can be had relatively cheaply.

Here's my Flickr album of shots taken with the P30T / Rikenon 50mm f/2 combo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/fishyfish/albums/72157682667616476

canon t70

Well done you can now look down on those old fashioned AE1 guys with 6v battery, cough and deteriorating door seals ;)

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t70/index.htm

Well done you can now look down on those old fashioned AE1 guys with 6v battery, cough and deteriorating door seals ;)

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/canon/fdresources/SLRs/t70/index.htm
:pdont say that my ae1p will get upset and cough its cogs up!
i must say the aa batt use is great, and i think if it broke it will make a great hammer:eek: so far like it a lot- but shoosh dont tell anyone:D

Ignore the Canon if you want to keep your friends! The Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 is light and sharp and reasonably priced, and better rated than the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 as well, though a bit more expensive. Sometimes I have found the Pentax-A variants to be slightly less well built. Have you checked out the lens reviews at PentaxForums? Both rate a lot better than the Rikenon.

I have the Pentax-M 35mm f/2 which is lovely but a bit expensive. The f/2.8 is only slightly less rated and a lot cheaper. But I see from the site above that the 35mm A variants are both better rated than the Ms (the reverse of the 50mm case).

Basically, from what I can see, none of the 3rd party K-mount lenses rate as well as the A and M variants in those focal lengths.

Ignore the Canon if you want to keep your friends! The Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7 is light and sharp and reasonably priced, and better rated than the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.4 as well, though a bit more expensive. Sometimes I have found the Pentax-A variants to be slightly less well built. Have you checked out the lens reviews at PentaxForums? Both rate a lot better than the Rikenon.

I have the Pentax-M 35mm f/2 which is lovely but a bit expensive. The f/2.8 is only slightly less rated and a lot cheaper. But I see from the site above that the 35mm A variants are both better rated than the Ms (the reverse of the 50mm case).

Basically, from what I can see, none of the 3rd party K-mount lenses rate as well as the A and M variants in those focal lengths.
thank you chris,-i think:p. i frequent film and conventional section, enjoy buying and using old cameras and talking about them-what are these friends things you mention?:(:D
cool lots of reading to do and in the mean time i will play with the other two.

Just bought a Carl Zeiss Tessar 45 2.8 T*

Should go nicely with the 139

Again :)

But pretty :)

Hopefully it gets to me before Friday as I'm off to Paris for the weekend and plan on taking the 139.

The best film wind on I've come across...so smooth. Enjoy your trip and we'll see the shots when you come back (y) erm no shots of the Eiffel tower please as I've seen hundreds :D

Last edited:
The best film wind on I've come across...so smooth. Enjoy your trip and we'll see the shots when you come back (y) erm no shots of the Eiffel tower please as I've seen hundreds :D
We're going to concentrate on Montmartre on this trip, maybe have a few croissants, a bottle of wine, coffee...
We normally aim for about 30000 steps each day, so a fair amount of walking :)

Just bought a boxed Canon EOS 50E body for £12 and a black Nikkormat FTN with a Nikkor 50mm f2.0 on eBay tonight. Looking forward to receiving them. Oddly the 50E was advertised as having no battery charger.

Just bought a boxed Canon EOS 50E body for £12 and a black Nikkormat FTN with a Nikkor 50mm f2.0 on eBay tonight. Looking forward to receiving them. Oddly the 50E was advertised as having no battery charger.
The Nikkormat was £47

My new addition...

Have wanted one for ages (not really sure why) and am looking forward to trying this out. Must remember to actually load it with film, take it out and use it!

Popped a batter in, checked against another light meter (app on iPhone) and all reads well. Never used zone focus so this will be interesting.

Either way, it looks lovely (in my eyes). Really well engineered and built - has a real quality feel to it.

If anyone has one or has used one, then any tips/pointers would be great! I have some slightly expired Fuji X-tra 400 that I'm going to load it up with to start with.

aHdYU8g.jpg

BRJB1ke.jpg

I've actually managed to put a film in it and take some pictures today. The metering is straightforward but will have to wait and see if I can get the hang of the focusing when the film is done and developed...
Made a real change to snap happy mode I'd fallen into with the digital kit.

My Nikkormat arrived, it has a battery and a film in it. I don't know what the film is, though the ASA selector is set on 800. The battery says 625 on it, not PX625. I'm wondering if this has been adjusted for an alkaline battery and if so, has it got something like a 3200 or 1600 ASA film in.

There were only 5 shots taken on the film, maybe it's a Fuji Superia 800 maybe it's black and white. I won't know until I get to the end of the roll. It might be as old as the camera. Who knows? Would you shoot it? The camera is working perfectly.
00f5a0133995c9adca543e774853e0a6.jpg

My Nikkormat arrived, it has a battery and a film in it. I don't know what the film is, though the ASA selector is set on 800. The battery says 625 on it, not PX625. I'm wondering if this has been adjusted for an alkaline battery and if so, has it got something like a 3200 or 1600 ASA film in.

There were only 5 shots taken on the film, maybe it's a Fuji Superia 800 maybe it's black and white. I won't know until I get to the end of the roll. It might be as old as the camera. Who knows? Would you shoot it? The camera is working perfectly.

Take a note of the frame number and wind film back (don't let the leader go into the cassette)...then you'll know what film it is, then all you have to do is put the film back and cover the lens and viewfinder and fire say 6 shots plus 3 more for the initial lead in waste..and away you go to finish the film up

Last edited:

The answer to the "would you shoot it?" question is ALWAYS YES!

You can always check the metering against another camera. You maybe wouldn't get bad results shot at 800, but I think I'd apply the "one stop per decade expired" guideline and go for 400. Someone may have other ideas given it's "professional" film, sometimes said to be less flexible than amateur stuff...

I read that it has a couple of stops latitude. I'll check the meter against the one on my phone tomorrow when it's light. With a 625 battery I'll have to adjust for that too as it was originally 1.3v

I spoke too soon. Delivery was Hermes, so of course the 'delivery' driver said he had tried to deliver.

I've been in all day, and I informed them of an alternative - just in case.

No delivery note, no parcel, alternative 'safe' place not used.
I've paid for 24 hour delivery as I'm away tomorrow afternoon. They say they will try to deliver tomorrow before 8pm...
That looks like 48 hour delivery to me, even if it turns up, but I won't be in.

So I emailed the CEOs of Amazon and Hermes directly, and both customer complaint departments :)

If necessary, I'll email each member of the board of each company.

Have you looked behind your bin, or in it. My camera was left behind the bin today, I was expecting it tomorrow. That was Hermes.

I looked on-line and it said the driver had attempted to deliver (when I was in- I was doing some developing at the time, with a view of the road) and returned it to the depot.

So I took the little Rollei into London with me today as I had a couple of things to do in London. Didm't get a chance to use it as ran out of time, but it was interesting knowing that it was in the bag - definitely made me look at things in a different way.

Will have to allow more time in the schedule next time....

I usually have an Olympus XA loaded with XP2 in my bag, alongside whatever SLR I'm currently using. At the moment it's my Nikkormat FTN.

And.....I’ve bought yet another Olympus 35RC! I’ve been looking for a good price 35mm OM1/2 body to take with me to Florida in a few weeks because I fancy shooting a roll of Cinestill 800T in the evening. Looking on Ebay I’ve just seen the 35RC come up at a good price and looks to be in good mechanical condition (not battery tested) so figured it’s worth a go.

The top and bottom plates look a bit scuffed so I might do something with those before I go but I’ll know more when it comes at the end of the week :0)

If it's anything like the one that I bought it will be ready for new light seals. I don't know whether it's due to getting older but I found it much more of a faff to clean away the old gunk than when I did my Minolta SLR's many years since.

Back