OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

They're quite small. I have the 50 1.8 E series pancake fitted on mine.
Much the same size as a Contax 139 with a Tessar 45 2.8

When it was introduced the F4 was $3500, it was the best camera in the world (apparently) and was considered to be the camera that brought photography into the modern world.
Yes, a few years ago they could be picked up for a lot less but thats the same for everything and there are quite a few film cameras that are much more expensive now than even 3 years ago, Olympus mju for example.
For a mint example like the one in the listing I think that that is a reasonable price especially as this one has been tested and calibrated.
Its only worth what someone will pay for it and too much is a very subjective amount. ;):)

Well Andy the way I look at it is:- a cheaper one with a few scratches takes the same shots as a near mint one ;) I was interested in getting one to play with but the prices are too high when I consider that with my film cameras I already have, they are going to take just as good shots as the F4 (ignoring 1/8000 sec top speed).
Oh well for AF back to the Canon EOS300 and F90x and for old Nikon lenses back to the FM ;)

There are still some F4 bargains to be had, as I can attest to.

Picked up a nice F4S with MF-23 data back all in delivered from Germany for a shade under £130.00

Had a lot of dust inside the viewfinder, on the lens before the diopter adjusting lens assembly, which was straight forward to clean once I had the lid off the viewfinder (and after hunting down an on line Nikon service guide). The dust made using the camera almost impossible.

All nice & clear now and after a good clean. LCDs inside the viewfinder all good and working with no bleed so far.

Appears to be my bargain purchase for 2017...

There are still some F4 bargains to be had, as I can attest to.

Agreed. There are still bargains to be had it just requires a lot of patience to find them. Keep checking the likes of gumtree/ shpock and set a search alert on eBay and eventually one will turn up at the right price. Even camera dealers will occasionally surprise you with a cheaper price than expected.

Well Andy the way I look at it is:- a cheaper one with a few scratches takes the same shots as a near mint one ;) I was interested in getting one to play with but the prices are too high when I consider that with my film cameras I already have, they are going to take just as good shots as the F4 (ignoring 1/8000 sec top speed).
Oh well for AF back to the Canon EOS300 and F90x and for old Nikon lenses back to the FM ;)
I have the EOS 300x, F90x and FM too, all great cameras

I have the EOS 300x, F90x and FM too, all great cameras

Yes indeed...the only reason I wanted the F4 (basic model not F4s) was it would be the F90x and FM in one camera in that it could take pre AI lenses, also IIRC adjustable diopters in the viewfinder. But the most versatile camera IMO would be the top AF Canon ones like EOS-1 as they can also take old M42 screw lenses which any Nikon camera can't.
:canon: :nikon: :film:

Last edited:
Yes indeed...the only reason I wanted the F4 (basic model not F4s) was it would be the F90x and FM in one camera in that it could take pre AI lenses, also IIRC adjustable diopters in the viewfinder. But the most versatile camera IMO would be the top AF Canon ones like EOS-1 as they can also take old M42 screw lenses which any Nikon camera can't.
:canon: :nikon: :film:
The F4 fetch a premium over the more common F4s, although the F4 is worth the extra imho as it makes it much more practical if you’re lugging it around all day long.

The F4 fetch a premium over the more common F4s, although the F4 is worth the extra imho as it makes it much more practical if you’re lugging it around all day long.

That's my thinking...the F4s is something more like Nikon F5 :eek:
D3S_1854-1200.jpg

You can "downgrade" a F4S to F4 by simply removing the MB-21 battery pack and installing the MB-20 battery holder that comes as standard with the F4. I keeping an eye on the usual sites if one should turn up cheap.

I'm happy sticking with mainly Nikon right now, and the F4 fulfils a curiosity I have with auto focus, and a larger view finder as I wear specs, although saying that I can see a lot of the view finder on the Canon F-1n that the wife bought me for my birthday, compared to say my FA. The F4 even has a nice feature when using non AF lenses, a green LED confirmation in the viewfinder that you are in focus.

You can "downgrade" a F4S to F4 by simply removing the MB-21 battery pack and installing the MB-20 battery holder that comes as standard with the F4. I keeping an eye on the usual sites if one should turn up cheap.

I'm happy sticking with mainly Nikon right now, and the F4 fulfils a curiosity I have with auto focus, and a larger view finder as I wear specs, although saying that I can see a lot of the view finder on the Canon F-1n that the wife bought me for my birthday, compared to say my FA. The F4 even has a nice feature when using non AF lenses, a green LED confirmation in the viewfinder that you are in focus.

So for e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-F4...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 you would take off the bottom winder and it becomes the standard F4 (with winder) ?

The biggest problem is that most F4 cameras don’t have the MB20 battery holder, they generally come with the larger MB21, the smaller battery pack has either been misplaced or didn’t ship in the first place. And they don’t turn up that often on the usual sites either, I know I waited for about 18 months for one to turn up and I had to buy the whole camera kit to get one without paying almost as much for the pack as a complete camera.

Andy's right, the price of high-quality film cameras hit a low point a few years back but prices have been steadily rising since then, with many 'top notch' cameras fetching two or three times what they were being sold for at their lowest point. As we've seen in the F&C section, more people seem to be (re)discovering the joys of film photography, and I don't think this is down to a fad or fashion. This has created more of a demand for film cameras and the prices have risen accordingly, but mostly the price is still nothing like it was when these cameras were new (taking into account inflation and historic money values). So people wanting to get back into film can at long last own the 'dream camera' they lusted after as a teenager or twenty-something without it breaking the bank.

There are still some bargains to be had out there as quite a lot of people still think that nobody wants film cameras, which is probably true of many cheap point and shoot compacts, entry level plastic SLRs, etc. but as we know, the demand for quality film cameras appears to be rising, along with the price. I'm glad I stocked up on toys when prices were still fairly low, and hung on to the Canon A1 and EOS-3 that I've owned from new. How the wheel turns. :)

Correct.

Whilst there are no MB-20's on Ebay UK, there are a dozen or so listed via a number of well known Japanese classic camera sellers on E-bay.com.

Just widen your search to Worldwide on E-bay UK and it should include those international sellers that will ship to the UK, or just sit it out until one comes up more local.

It’s always a good day when a new lens arrives [emoji3]

IMG_1514996043.830380.jpg

I’ve just picked up the OM Zuiko 35/2.8 on the left to compare to the OM Zuiko 35/2.8 Shift I already had on the right. I’m mainly going to use it on my A7 (sorry!) but I do have a chrome OM1 arriving tomorrow as well as I’ve got a backlog of 35mm in my fridge that needs to be used [emoji6]

I think I’ll probably only keep one of these two 35’s so will more than likely be listing the 35/2.8 Shift at some point in the future. Whilst it’s a very sharp lens and offers a good range of shift movements, I’m looking for a smaller setup really so the 35/2.8 prime may be a better option.

It’s always a good day when a new lens arrives [emoji3]

View attachment 117545

I’ve just picked up the OM Zuiko 35/2.8 on the left to compare to the OM Zuiko 35/2.8 Shift I already had on the right. I’m mainly going to use it on my A7 (sorry!) but I do have a chrome OM1 arriving tomorrow as well as I’ve got a backlog of 35mm in my fridge that needs to be used [emoji6]

I think I’ll probably only keep one of these two 35’s so will more than likely be listing the 35/2.8 Shift at some point in the future. Whilst it’s a very sharp lens and offers a good range of shift movements, I’m looking for a smaller setup really so the 35/2.8 prime may be a better option.
I have the 50 1.8 chrome nose, if you don't have one.
I'm unlikely to use it now.

I have the 50 1.8 chrome nose, if you don't have one.
I'm unlikely to use it now.

Thanks Ken. I'm not sure what focal length I'm going to stick to really as I've always used a 50/1.8 on my digital kit but wanted to try 35 for a while instead. I'll give you a shout if I decide to add a 50 to my OM1.

Cheers
Steve

My new toy arrived a few weeks ago (fed up for years waiting for one to turn up at the bootie) and was a lens that everyone said gave excellent results...h'mm but I don't need another 135mm as I have loads, but thought I'd play with to see how good it was. Anyway on the bay everyone was asleep and got it for £13.50 and was the Hexanon 135mm f3.2
..and for Steve using an A7 http://www.theweekendlens.com/konica-ar-135-f32.html o_O:eek:

Andy's right, the price of high-quality film cameras hit a low point a few years back but prices have been steadily rising since then, with many 'top notch' cameras fetching two or three times what they were being sold for at their lowest point. As we've seen in the F&C section, more people seem to be (re)discovering the joys of film photography, and I don't think this is down to a fad or fashion. This has created more of a demand for film cameras and the prices have risen accordingly, but mostly the price is still nothing like it was when these cameras were new (taking into account inflation and historic money values). So people wanting to get back into film can at long last own the 'dream camera' they lusted after as a teenager or twenty-something without it breaking the bank.

There are still some bargains to be had out there as quite a lot of people still think that nobody wants film cameras, which is probably true of many cheap point and shoot compacts, entry level plastic SLRs, etc. but as we know, the demand for quality film cameras appears to be rising, along with the price. I'm glad I stocked up on toys when prices were still fairly low, and hung on to the Canon A1 and EOS-3 that I've owned from new. How the wheel turns. :)
It's probably also created more demand for film and resulted in the variety of film that is available now. I could easily stop buying cameras and spend my money on film, lenses & developing but I doubt I will.

I paid £100 for my FE and £400 for my Bronica kit. A few months ago I wouldn't have spent more than £30 on anything as I was out of work. Maybe it's time to sell a few?

Today the second half of my new toys arrived;

IMG_1515082093.155119.jpg

When I first fitted the replacement battery I thought the light meter was a mile out. I compared it to the app on my phone and the camera was at least 5 stops out. After some head scratching and checking the battery voltage etc I compared my digital Sony A7 against the OM1 and it’s actually spot on! Turns out the app I was using was rubbish instead so that’s gone :0)

Lovely camera - my OM1 would be the last 35mm camera I'd get rid of.

I always thought they were incredibly light - but I was using a Yashica FR1 at the time.

It's not been a successful week so far... Bought a eyepiece for my Hassie PME5 prism, which was advertised as having "excellent optics" that were "free from all scratches, debris and fungus." Well they weren't lying! :LOL: The eyepiece didn't actually come with any glass in it, so I was essentially just sent a metal ring with a gap in the middle :eek:

Also bought an A12 back for the Hassie as well, which was supposed to be in very good condition. Visually it's about as mint as you could expect, but it doesn't half make a noise when you wind it on. The gears inside sound like they're running very hard against each other and I'm not sure if this is down to a lack of use and a cry for a service, or if it's a sign that something is amiss.

The eyepiece is definitely going back, but I'm not sure what to do with the back

It's not been a successful week so far... Bought a eyepiece for my Hassie PME5 prism, which was advertised as having "excellent optics" that were "free from all scratches, debris and fungus." Well they weren't lying! :LOL: The eyepiece didn't actually come with any glass in it, so I was essentially just sent a metal ring with a gap in the middle :eek:

Also bought an A12 back for the Hassie as well, which was supposed to be in very good condition. Visually it's about as mint as you could expect, but it doesn't half make a noise when you wind it on. The gears inside sound like they're running very hard against each other and I'm not sure if this is down to a lack of use and a cry for a service, or if it's a sign that something is amiss.

The eyepiece is definitely going back, but I'm not sure what to do with the back
It really depends on how much it cost you, if it can bear a service (£50ish) and it’s minty looking it’s probably worthwhile.

A Chinon Bellami camera. Only had it an hour or so but so far very impressed. Test film over the weekend - it is far too dark today!
Chinon Bellami1.jpeg Chinon Bellami2.jpeg

It really depends on how much it cost you, if it can bear a service (£50ish) and it’s minty looking it’s probably worthwhile.

It was £125, which seems about right for one in great condition, although you would usually think that great condition means no weird noises! I'll have to have a think, if a service can sort it out then it might be worth doing

I'm on my way back from a day out at the coast with my FE. I couldn't rewind the film so now I also have a Dynax 5, a Ricoh FF-70 and an Olympus AF-1. The Minolta was £19.99 with the 28-80mm lens and the compacts were £1.99 each.

That follows :)

Obvious really.

It was £125, which seems about right for one in great condition, although you would usually think that great condition means no weird noises! I'll have to have a think, if a service can sort it out then it might be worth doing
You could pick up one in very nice condition from a reputable dealer for that. TBH I’d send it back for a refund and buy one with a guarantee from Ffordes or somewhere similar.

Love my Bellami, did yours come with the flash too?
It did - and it works very well. I am currently halfway through my test film and should get it finished tomorrow. A delightful camera for its class.

I managed to get my film out of my FE with no problems. I remembered that my old (30+ years) Boots camera bag has a section for changing film. I put a body cap on and opened the back. I was able to complete the wind on and fire the shutter on B, close the back and rewind the film.

This was my first roll of Kentmere 400, my second is loaded in the Dynax 5. I now have Fomapan Action 400 loaded in the FE. Hopefully I won't have the same problem at the end of this roll.

Here are my film Toys. the Nikon EM was bought on Ebay over a year ago for less than £20 when it turned up it looked like it had never been used. I'm half at through a B&W film which I should finish this weekend. the Vitoret DR is halfway through a colour film My Farther inlaw gave me this camera which he hasn't used in years.. and this week I have just acquired a lovely unmarked Nikon F501 which appears to have had little use. I'm new to the forum. Ive shot loads of digital photography but not shot film for years so looking forward to posting how I get on with these cameras.38831411584_738eef74ba_k.jpg

Back