OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Here are my film Toys. the Nikon EM was bought on Ebay over a year ago for less than £20 when it turned up it looked like it had never been used. I'm half at through a B&W film which I should finish this weekend. the Vitoret DR is halfway through a colour film My Farther inlaw gave me this camera which he hasn't used in years.. and this week I have just acquired a lovely unmarked Nikon F501 which appears to have had little use. I'm new to the forum. Ive shot loads of digital photography but not shot film for years so looking forward to posting how I get on with these cameras.View attachment 117829
Nice, I don't have an F-501 yet.

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum and especially this bit (the best bit :)).

You have a nice little collection there, i'm very much into Voigtlander so the Vitoret is the one that interests me the most and i look forward to seeing the results.

Andy

I have managed to score a Konica C35 for the princely sum of £10.40.
Ive got a roll of Ektar 100 and Portra 800 waiting to be used (thanks to my Secret Santa :D )
Will run a roll of poundland 35mm through it first though to make sure all is ok before i load the Kodak spools.

I have managed to score a Konica C35 for the princely sum of £10.40.
Ive got a roll of Ektar 100 and Portra 800 waiting to be used (thanks to my Secret Santa :D )
Will run a roll of poundland 35mm through it first though to make sure all is ok before i load the Kodak spools.
Poundland 35mm is too expensive these days. I only have 1 roll left and they're £4-£5 each on eBay / Amazon. The only 35mm colour film I have at the moment besides that are 5 rolls of Kodak Pro Image 100, one of which is in my Dynax 404si and 10 rolls of Kodak Vision 3 Superslow ISO 1.6, one being in my EOS 300x.

Poundland 35mm is too expensive these days. I only have 1 roll left and they're £4-£5 each on eBay / Amazon. The only 35mm colour film I have at the moment besides that are 5 rolls of Kodak Pro Image 100, one of which is in my Dynax 404si and 10 rolls of Kodak Vision 3 Superslow ISO 1.6, one being in my EOS 300x.

Just buy some Fuji C200 instead - it's the same film. If you buy in larger quantities you can get it for around £2.50 a roll. Not as cheap as Poundland, sadly, but not too bad.

e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Fuj...637701?hash=item33de673485:g:s5kAAOSwETJaFbdL

And that is for 36 exp rolls.

Last edited:
Just by some Fuji C200 instead - it's the same film. If you buy in larger quantities you can get it for around £2.50 a roll. Not as cheap as Poundland, sadly, but not too bad.

e.g.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Fuj...637701?hash=item33de673485:g:s5kAAOSwETJaFbdL

And that is for 36 exp rolls.
I have considered Fuji c200, but it'll probably take me a while to get through the Pro Image. The Vision 3 will take a lot longer.

I mostly shoot B&W now because I have bought the stuff to develop it. I'm just doing plenty of research beforehand so I don't ruin my film. Maybe in the future I'll try C41, or cross process some of the Vision 3.

I finally caved in and picked up a Leica...

View attachment 117090

Well, ok, it’s a tin of fudge but in my usual way, I’ve found that a 120 spool fits perfectly so I’ve got two choices;

1) Use it as a 120 film holder..

2) Fit a pinhole to the front and make it into a working camera..

Decision decisions!

I got one of these in my Emulsive Secret Santa! I was considering pinholing it too... Time for a project :)

I don't normally buy outdated film - sometimes find some in old bulkloaders -20180107_155258sc.jpg
but could not resist (for £1) a tin of cine stock that expired a year before I was born - long. long, ago.

I expect it will be fogged beyond redemption and if not as slow as treacle. One stop per decade, so 100/6 gives me ISO 17-ish.

EDIT - Got images - at ISO 6 - grainy and fungus at some of the emulsion -

See shot here

Last edited:
:eek:
You're older than me!

So i snared the Konica C35 earlier today.
Now I've just managed to bag an Olympus trip 35 for less than £20.

I look forward to having a go with both cameras when they arrive.

I don't normally buy outdated film - sometimes find some in old bulkloaders -View attachment 117900
but could not resist (for £1) a tin of cine stock that expired a year before I was born - long. long, ago.

I expect it will be fogged beyond redemption and if not as slow as treacle. One stop per decade, so 100/6 gives me ISO 17-ish.
What a great buy! It expired a month after I was born. Wouldn't 5 stops make it ISO 3?

What a great buy! It expired a month after I was born. Wouldn't 5 stops make it ISO 3?

Erm. Brain was not in gear - is it 5 or 6 stops ? Takes off sock 1965(1)-1975(2)-1985(3)-1995(4)-2005(5)-and other sock 2015(6)
100>50>25>12>6>3>1.5

Lets call it ISO 1 - gulp

Erm. Brain was not in gear - is it 5 or 6 stops ? Takes off sock 1965(1)-1975(2)-1985(3)-1995(4)-2005(5)-and other sock 2015(6)
100>50>25>12>6>3>1.5

Lets call it ISO 1 - gulp
I have some Kodak ortho iso 3 and some iso 1.6 film. The EOS 300x, 5, Nikon F90X, F801s and Yashica FX-D can be set to 6 and +1 or +2. The Nikon F3 can't add 2 stops when set at the lowest ISO setting but you can on an FE, which will go as low as ISO 3 at +2.

It was £125, which seems about right for one in great condition, although you would usually think that great condition means no weird noises! I'll have to have a think, if a service can sort it out then it might be worth doing

You could pick up one in very nice condition from a reputable dealer for that. TBH I’d send it back for a refund and buy one with a guarantee from Ffordes or somewhere similar.

In complete agreement with Nick - send it back ASAP. I would only contemplate servicing if it was <£60 to purchase in the first place, and a service would make it as good as new (with the guarantee of a recent documented service).

The ones on Ffordes are a little expensive at the moment though. How about this one from MW Classic? I appreciate not as robust a guarantee as Ffordes, but the £46 difference could probably pay for a service if it wasn't 100%....

http://www.mwclassic.com/product/hasselblad-a12-magazine-back-black-no-ur3110833-with-dark-slide/

As someone who was using a camera before that film expired... just bear in mind that in the early 1960s the ASA changed the way film speeds were rated to remove a previous built in safety factor designed to reduce the chance of underexposure, and all film speeds doubled overnight.

Surely 1975 would be the end of the first decade, hence 5 stops? Either way, slow! Good for some nice long exposure landscapes!

I use half-a-stop per decade for expired B&W film, so about ASA 12 would do it.

A long strip of black stuff drying. I can tell where the fully exposed leader ends, just. Closer inspection shows some really interesting swirls of fog, pea souper variety, and 3 frames I can see images on near the end of the first bit I pulled off. It may get less foggy further in - at the moment in the ISO 6 to 1.5 ball park. I need to mix up more ID11 as the original D76 times of 17 mins or so were for stock solution and see if I have any anti-fog magic drops in my store. This is very thick film, I have seen rulers that were easier to bend. So we shall see - if I get one useable picture I'll be really happy.

You could pick up one in very nice condition from a reputable dealer for that. TBH I’d send it back for a refund and buy one with a guarantee from Ffordes or somewhere similar.

In complete agreement with Nick - send it back ASAP. I would only contemplate servicing if it was <£60 to purchase in the first place, and a service would make it as good as new (with the guarantee of a recent documented service).

The ones on Ffordes are a little expensive at the moment though. How about this one from MW Classic? I appreciate not as robust a guarantee as Ffordes, but the £46 difference could probably pay for a service if it wasn't 100%....

http://www.mwclassic.com/product/hasselblad-a12-magazine-back-black-no-ur3110833-with-dark-slide/

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to send it back to them and get one from somewhere else. WY Cameras have a chrome one for £99 that looks tidy from the photos. I've not used them before but I hear very good things

Last edited:
This guy knows how to sell gear as the F4 (on the bay) went for £320 inc postage and just noticed he sold a Nikkor 50mm f1.8 Ai-s for £200 :rolleyes: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Nikkor-50mm-f-1-8-Ai-s-lens-MINT-condition-super-sharp-standard-classic-/391948323755?nma=true&si=apJCQS%2FVzmYEcIRrlT0H7rPdQ80%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

h'mm noticed the mods deleted the link to the bay in my previous post :rolleyes: seems a rule you can't post things for sale on the bay :rolleyes:

Yeap - noticed the very high prices his stuff sells for - an MD4 went for £95 the other day!

Thanks guys, I think I'm going to send it back to them and get one from somewhere else. WY Cameras have a chrome one for £99 that looks tidy from the photos. I've not used them before but I hear very good things

I bought my LX from them, I thought they were very good. Mind you, I drove up to buy in person... and to do a straight swap with an AF camera and a couple of lenses!

A long strip of black stuff drying. I can tell where the fully exposed leader ends, just. Closer inspection shows some really interesting swirls of fog, pea souper variety, and 3 frames I can see images on near the end of the first bit I pulled off. It may get less foggy further in - at the moment in the ISO 6 to 1.5 ball park. I need to mix up more ID11 as the original D76 times of 17 mins or so were for stock solution and see if I have any anti-fog magic drops in my store. This is very thick film, I have seen rulers that were easier to bend. So we shall see - if I get one useable picture I'll be really happy.

Did you have to worry about remjet (whatever it is), being movie stock and that?

I bought my LX from them, I thought they were very good. Mind you, I drove up to buy in person... and to do a straight swap with an AF camera and a couple of lenses!

Appear pricey compared to a number of recent purchases from Ffordes, who have been great even though one of the recent purchases turned out to be faulty.

Bought a servo finder EE for the Canon F-1 that turned out to be faulty upon receipt. No quibbles and returned the next day. Full refund including my return postage costs paid back into my account within 3 days.

BTW if anyone hears of a complete working servo EE finder, bear me in mind......

I sold my first FM to them a few years back and regretted it the next day. I bought my current FM for more than the first one, though I did get that for £17 from a charity shop.

Must invest in one of those Nikon yellow plinths he uses in most of his Nikon listings.

Must have some mystical charm that mesmerises bidders it paying over the odds for his kit...........

:)

With prices going up it shows that buying cameras and lenses when they were going for peanuts was a good investment, now all we need is those people who are not interested in photography but investment to start buying and it would be a small disaster for filmies...I've seen this before when many moons ago I collected stamps, and suddenly it was the in thing to invest in, prices shot up so gave up.

With prices going up it shows that buying cameras and lenses when they were going for peanuts was a good investment, now all we need is those people who are not interested in photography but investment to start buying and it would be a small disaster for filmies...I've seen this before when many moons ago I collected stamps, and suddenly it was the in thing to invest in, prices shot up so gave up.

Time to start going through your collection Brian, thin it out and make your money back. Help top up yuor pension if nothing else.

Time to start going through your collection Brian, thin it out and make your money back. Help top up yuor pension if nothing else.

Well Steven old farts like me regret not keeping that old motorcycle, dinky toys etc...and biggest regret not buying a house for £7,500 in London (worth a million now). But recently was amazed that all the warnings about Agfa Vista i.e. buy what you can, as now you could double your money on the bay, lucky I bought about 70 rolls, but can't be bothered to sell them for £140 as I would use it over the years and there is not much that interesting that you can buy for £70 profit... these days

There's no point buying Vista to sell on ebay, as the postage and fees wipe out any profit. If you were to buy a roll for a quid and then stick it on ebay for £5 with free postage, then you'd make 23p profit... Even if you charged for postage you'd have to be selling it for £3 + P&P just to net a pound, and no one is going to pay almost £6 a roll delivered. The only way to make it work is to sell it in bulk, like 5 or 10 rolls at a time I think, but it's a lot of effort for very little gain.

Cheers Chris, it's always good to get a recommendation! I'd love to go visit them but it's a 10 hour round trip :LOL: The only camera shop even close to me is Mifsuds which is about an hour and a half away :(

Back