OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

3rCrQiw.jpg

A Nikon 90mm f/8 for my 4x5 kit.

Picked this up to use with a lens cap pinhole on pinhole day (plus general use after .

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
Well the domiplan lens is consider inferior.....but then some guy pops up with shots that are very good using the lens (probably a good copy). So interesting to see shots that you have taken.... for sharpness.

Well the domiplan lens is consider inferior
In all fairness the lens does seem a bit naff but I have 3 other M42 lenses 35,58 and 135mm so already have a few to play with. I will give it a trial though on a couple of shots.

Last edited:
View attachment 123082 View attachment 123083

new toys arrived, all in great condition. sorry about phone pics
I don't think that Canon FD stuff will fit that EOS 30! ;) Joking aside, I hope you enjoy that camera as much as I've enjoyed mine since I got it. Read up on how to clear the eye-controlled focus memory and take your time to calibrate it properly and you should find it's really useful. My only criticism of it is that it's not easy to see which focus point has lit up to confirm it's locked on in bright sunlight, but apart from that I think it's a really good little camera. Don't forget to share your results from it with us. (y)

I’ve got a few new toys either here or on their way.

IMG_0488.jpg

Schneider 150/4.5. Whilst it’s main design is 6x9 coverage with good movement, it also covers 4x5 so I picked it up for a good price as a test lens. I may also use it for a future 6x9 build [emoji6]

IMG_0490.jpg

Chroma bling! My friend in California who’s producing the Pins sent me a video of the first one. He’s currently mounting the pins onto their packaging before sending them over to me. They’re a limited run of 100 and not all were taken during the campaign so I’m going to be listing them for sale direct on my site soon.

My last new toy is this chunk of soviet metal;

IMG_0492.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

I’ve had a Kiev80 before and actually really liked the results from it so have fancied getting another one for a while. I saw it come up on West Yorkshire Cameras so offered them an exchange for the black SX70 I’ve got here. I’m sure there’s some unwritten law about swapping a classic Polaroid for a Hasselbladski but I like to live on the edge! I should be getting the Kiev today so I’ll give it a test out then hopefully take it away on holiday with us next week [emoji3]

Not a new bit of kit but an interesting charity shop find

Picked this up in a charity shop the other day, Wallace Heaton catalogue 1962-63
by Nick Watson, on Flickr

Well I used to buy it every year to about 1967 but with a buy out by Dixons it stopped (I think) :( and another nice shop was Fox Talbot and more downhill with a buy out by Jessops (I think). Was it better when the bigger boys took over? Dunno as my last big purchase was from Fox Talbot and never did buy anything expensive from Dixons or Jessops.

Well I used to buy it every year to about 1967 but with a buy out by Dixons it stopped (I think) :( and another nice shop was Fox Talbot and more downhill with a buy out by Jessops (I think). Was it better when the bigger boys took over? Dunno as my last big purchase was from Fox Talbot and never did buy anything expensive from Dixons or Jessops.

I knew you were getting on a bit Brian but I didn't know you bought kit off Henry Fox Talbot....he died in 1877!

I picked up three books and a Canon Sure Shot for a pound apiece this morning. The Canon seems to work ok now it has some fresh batteries and it’s in very nice cosmetic condition too.

The World Camera Guide book looks interesting too (although I doubt it contains any info not available online).

8DA7BAD6-B5EF-41CD-9BFA-32C0911DD6A0.jpeg 2D80BEBF-3597-4672-9BA4-6A2CA4307873.jpeg F1CB8072-2C0E-476B-8365-366937035956.jpeg 48D51FFF-59D1-48ED-A15F-2CE869F04010.jpeg

I popped round to Intrepid and finally collected my 10x8 this morning. I came back from the Photography Show with a bad cold (or worse) and still don't feel up to much. Nor does Sue; we bought a Sony a7riii at the show and have still to put the battery and memory card in, let alone see if it works! So unwrapping the Intrepid is another exciting job that is being put off for a few days. I didn't collect a reducing back, as they haven't put the ground glass in yet (I was able to handle it for weight and examine the glass) and are still awaiting the film holders. Since I don't need a reducing back to use 5x4, and already have film holders, I just asked them to let me know when they're ready and I'll pop back. The whole trip from leaving home to getting back plus a tour of the works took 28 minutes. They aren't far away.

The first impression was that it was light; the second, having seen Gemma wrap it carefully in bubble wrap (which bulks it out) and place it in a small carrier bag for me to take away was that it was small.

At some point I may attempt a photo.

Also from the Photography Show and the Disabled Photographer's Society stand, I acquired what I think is the rod used on Exakta cameras to link lens and body when using extension tubes/bellows and allow automatic lens stop down. Exaktas have external linkage to stop down the lens.

How many cameras you got now Fishyfish ?

Maybe twenty or so - about ten of which I use pretty regularly. It’s probably quite a small collection when compared to what some people around these parts have though. :)

I buy cameras if I want to use them, rather than just building a collection, but there’s a Facebook group for camera collectors and some of the people on there could stock a shop! Sometimes there are collectors with dozens of the same model!

I don't think that Canon FD stuff will fit that EOS 30! ;) Joking aside, I hope you enjoy that camera as much as I've enjoyed mine since I got it. Read up on how to clear the eye-controlled focus memory and take your time to calibrate it properly and you should find it's really useful. My only criticism of it is that it's not easy to see which focus point has lit up to confirm it's locked on in bright sunlight, but apart from that I think it's a really good little camera. Don't forget to share your results from it with us. (y)
ha i need a hammer to fit it. ive only fd primes at the moment and wanted a zoom for landscape subject isolation shots. the eos will be fun and its in great condition, i pick up a lens to fit this one,
this evening hopefully.

I picked up three books and a Canon Sure Shot for a pound apiece this morning. The Canon seems to work ok now it has some fresh batteries and it’s in very nice cosmetic condition too.

The World Camera Guide book looks interesting too (although I doubt it contains any info not available online).

View attachment 123096 View attachment 123097 View attachment 123098 View attachment 123099
must admit i fancy

a quality point and shoot that doesn't break the bank. look forward to your pictures and comments on using the canon

I couldn't resist this Nikon FM2N today, payday [emoji6]. It's been in my local Tyne Bargains for a few weeks then it went down by £30. I did some haggling and got some more money off the lens and camera. Still, more than I wanted to spend and more than I've spent on any single camera and lens before.

I took them to Whitby to try them out. Looking good, let's see what develops from this relationship.IMG_20180329_160830.jpg

I couldn't resist this Nikon FM2N today, payday [emoji6]. It's been in my local Tyne Bargains for a few weeks then it went down by £30. I did some haggling and got some more money off the lens and camera. Still, more than I wanted to spend and more than I've spent on any single camera and lens before.

I took them to Whitby to try them out. Looking good, let's see what develops from this relationship.View attachment 123132

Ooh that’s nice

I recently picked up an Olympus 35UC, which will be used in a 35SP vs 35UC video down the line.

250318SPUC2.jpg

If anyone is interested, I have some info in the article section of my site link in my sig below :)

Last edited:
Nothing too exciting, but my replacement for my canon 500 came today. Excellent condition EOS 10, much bigger and more features than the 500 that broke lol, it was only £15. I also got 500n today as well as it was only £6 in excellent condition.

View attachment 123130
View attachment 123129
View attachment 123131

Do you know for 35mm it's possible with very good:- dev, scan, camera lens, film, printer and if possible no camera shake...to get a very good about 12X16 print.
Your next achievement o_O;) anyway get that result and just think what your MF prints would be like.(y)

Do you know for 35mm it's possible with very good:- dev, scan, camera lens, film, printer and if possible no camera shake...to get a very good about 12X16 print.
Your next achievement o_O;) anyway get that result and just think what your MF prints would be like.(y)

Someone should have told the gadget show those figures before they printed a massive photo and hung it on the side of the building comparing a 12MP digital camera to 35mm film.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4LuOD60BJ0

Someone should have told the gadget show those figures before they printed a massive photo and hung it on the side of the building comparing a 12MP digital camera to 35mm film.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4LuOD60BJ0

So the digital one was softer which why the presenter liked it and the 'photographer' liked the digital because he got a magenta cast on the film, which would be easily corrected in the darkroom. Fail !! Film wins.

So the digital one was softer which why the presenter liked it and the 'photographer' liked the digital because he got a magenta cast on the film, which would be easily corrected in the darkroom. Fail !! Film wins.

Ha. Just for info though, I linked it because Brian said the biggest you could print, all factors being very good, was 16x12. Last thing I wanna do is start a film vs digital thing again.

Well digi cameras have improved since then, so maybe digi versus medium format next. But in the video I thought the digi shot was inferior to the film one.

Ha. Just for info though, I linked it because Brian said the biggest you could print, all factors being very good, was 16x12. Last thing I wanna do is start a film vs digital thing again.

...but you don't want the colour portrait shot of baby and or baby and wife, showing a lot of grain in a picture hanging on your wall. Well what ever floats your boat, maybe Ektar has solved the problem. ;)

I’d probably never get many printed at a large size, I did however order 20+ 12x10s to see how they came out (35mm), I think there just as good if not better than some of my digital prints I’ve had of a smaller size lol.

Well a lab can produce excellent results as shown here for 35mm, superia 200, Canon 28mm it even looks good viewing fairly close up..the white blob is my flashgun and I put a cigarette packet on the frame to give an idea of size. I have a suspicion they used grain reducing software but just guessing.
3NpsU0c.jpg

Well the domiplan lens is consider inferior.....but then some guy pops up with shots that are very good using the lens (probably a good copy). So interesting to see shots that you have taken.... for sharpness.

O.k I have a comparison of the Lens (there is a slight difference with lens lenght) the shot using the Domiplan 50mm is of the camera only and the shot with the camera and lens is shot using a Helios 44 58mm ,I also have to say taken with a digital camera and adapter. It seem fine to me so I think I will stick with it as the Helios will not fit on the Praktica despite being a m42 mount. The short depths of field amazes me both shot at 2.8 They were both shot on a tripod in the same position so it also shows what 8mm difference does.
half1.jpg half2.jpg

Last edited:
You do have to be careful with M42 (and very similar T-mount) lenses as it's either my Helios or Meyer lens ( sorry can't be bothered to find out which one) will not screw fully home on my Pentax S3 (M42) as it stops the camera working.

Last edited:
It's most likely the Helios as there is a flange which projects beyond the thread it means it fouls the Mirror on my New Old Praktica PL Nova L and does not screw all the way home when I use it on the Digital!

Last edited:
It's most likely the Helios as there is a flange which projects beyond the thread it means it fouls the Mirror on my New Old Praktica PL Nova L and does not screw all the way home when I use it on the Digital!

...I bet some idiot has forcibly screwed a type of M42 lens onto a M42 camera (that is not suitable) and damaged the camera.:eek:

My Canon F-1 arrived and I have a Belca Belfoca Mark1 and a Helios 44 for my Zenit 3m on the way. The F-1 came with the 24mm f2.8 lens and is in great working order and in great condition.

The Belca Belfoca can shoot 6x6 and 6x9, if the 6x6 mask is there. This one has been recently serviced, as has the lens.IMG_20180403_183733.jpgIMG_20180403_192911.jpgIMG_20180403_192953.jpg

Welcome to the F-1 club Steve. My wife bought mine and a winder from ffordes as a Christmas present.

Even though I'm a Nikon fan in 35mm format, you can tell that Cannon took the F2 as some serious competition when developing the F-1 for the professional market.

I managed to pick up a Servo EE finder complete it is original case from the US for £40.00 all working, and recently replaced my finder with a fault free one from a Japanese E-bay seller for a tad over £40.00 Uk delivered (the original with the camera had some mirror de-silvering issues which is not uncommon on these).

First roll of HP4 is off for processing as I type this, so looking froward to the results in due course.

BR

Anthony

Welcome to the F-1 club Steve. My wife bought mine and a winder from ffordes as a Christmas present.

Even though I'm a Nikon fan in 35mm format, you can tell that Cannon took the F2 as some serious competition when developing the F-1 for the professional market.

I managed to pick up a Servo EE finder complete it is original case from the US for £40.00 all working, and recently replaced my finder with a fault free one from a Japanese E-bay seller for a tad over £40.00 Uk delivered (the original with the camera had some mirror de-silvering issues which is not uncommon on these).

First roll of HP4 is off for processing as I type this, so looking froward to the results in due course.

BR

Anthony
I bought 4 Zinc air 675 batteries from Maplin for £2.50 to use with it. This is actually my 30th Canon camera. I also have an A-1, T90, and EOS 1 amongst that lot. I do find the readout in the viewfinder a bit small and dim.

I only have 17 Nikons, I do like my FM2N, though I have only had it about a week. It's time to road test the F-1 next.

I bought 4 Zinc air 675 batteries from Maplin for £2.50 to use with it. This is actually my 30th Canon camera. I also have an A-1, T90, and EOS 1 amongst that lot. I do find the readout in the viewfinder a bit small and dim.

I only have 17 Nikons, I do like my FM2N, though I have only had it about a week. It's time to road test the F-1 next.

Mine came with the optional Finder Iilluminator that clips on around the front of the film winder base. Its great in low light, but gets removed in daylight.

I'll take a look at Maplin as its sounds like now id the time to pick up a stock of batteries.

I bought another bulk film loader for just over £15, the note that came with it said it was loaded with film and had been for 20 years. It shows as being around 25ft, but I don't know what it is. I've made up a 12 exposure roll to test it. Hopefully it will say what film it is on the negatives.

I am putting the film through this Cosina CT-1, which also came today. The camera came with the Pentax 50mm f2.0 lens for £12.50.

The first few frames have been shot at 400ASA, but I've switched to 200 due to its apparent age and the fact I don't know it's true value.View attachment 122519View attachment 122520

I have a Cosina PM-1, I think very similar to the CT-1 (certainly looks the same) and I love it. Perfectly simple manual camera, takes PK lenses, and has a needle rather than an LED meter readout in the finder. Wouldn't replace it :)

Back