OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Mine came with the optional Finder Iilluminator that clips on around the front of the film winder base. Its great in low light, but gets removed in daylight.

I'll take a look at Maplin as its sounds like now id the time to pick up a stock of batteries.
Batteries are 50% off. They're usually £5. I would've bought more but I got the last one.

My Canon F-1 arrived and I have a Belca Belfoca Mark1 and a Helios 44 for my Zenit 3m on the way. The F-1 came with the 24mm f2.8 lens and is in great working order and in great condition.

The Belca Belfoca can shoot 6x6 and 6x9, if the 6x6 mask is there. This one has been recently serviced, as has the lens.View attachment 123637View attachment 123639View attachment 123640
I've just realised mine is an F-1N after reading this Wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_F-1

The MD-12 motor drive for my FM has arrived...

Nikon FM + MD-12 01.jpg

It goes "ka-chee, ka-chee, ka-chee". Excellent condition, and even has the little cover for the remote port. It's a hefty bit of kit - weighs the same as the body at 600g. With the lens shown, that little lot is 1.5kg. Just as well it gives a good grip. Apropos comments elsewhere, I can confirm that it powers down after 50 seconds and that a half-press of the button brings it back up. Also that the camera can still be used manually when the drive is fitted and switched on. A bit more fiddly to use the manual release and wind with the drive fitted, but handy for those more stealthy moments.

I don't really have a reason for getting it - it's a total toy. I mostly use this camera for photographing abandoned buildings, and they don't exactly jump up and run around.

Last edited:
HUH! are you going to open a museum, with the T70 as centrepiece o_O ;)
I have a T80 and a T90 but no T70. They're mostly EOS though I have four AE-1s and duplicates of a few of the others. I will stick at 30 (for now) and maybe even thin the herd a bit.

I have a T80 and a T90 but no T70. They're mostly EOS though I have four AE-1s and duplicates of a few of the others. I will stick at 30 (for now) and maybe even thin the herd a bit.

You are probably like me in accumulating cameras (years ago) when they were practically giving them away, still bargains to be had if you don't set your mind on Pentax, Nikon, Minolta and Canon...after all, as we all know, it's the lens and the person behind the camera that usually counts and the lesser known makes are still very good.

If I lived near Hayling Island I would ask the guy for free pickup and buy this Chinon CM-4 (takes Pentax lenses) for £1 (assuming no one wants it)...and if the camera doesn't work properly you still have the strap and spares screws for dismantling ;)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chinon-C...569661?hash=item362ede87bd:g:vz4AAOSwZpRavKQN

Last edited:
You are probably like me in accumulating cameras (years ago) when they were practically giving them away, still bargains to be had if you don't set your mind on Pentax, Nikon, Minolta and Canon...after all, as we all know, it's the lens and the person behind the camera that usually counts and the lesser known makes are still very good.
I got back into film in February 2014 and bought two Canon EOS bodies for 99p each, a 650 and a 5000. They were followed by an EOS RT with a Canon EF 35-105mm for £20.

After discovering a lot of the cameras I'd been unable to afford in my youth were now available for such low prices I started searching for bargains in charity shops, and as people believed film was dead, I got a Canon FT for £3.99 and an FTb for £2.99. I got an OM10, an X-300, an X-700, an SRT-101 and a Centon DF-300 for £5 each.

Now I have 134 SLRs, 3 TLRs, a Bronica SQ-A kit, a Kiev 60, various folding cameras and 16 Rangefinders.

I got back into film in February 2014 and bought two Canon EOS bodies for 99p each, a 650 and a 5000. They were followed by an EOS RT with a Canon EF 35-105mm for £20.

After discovering a lot of the cameras I'd been unable to afford in my youth were now available for such low prices I started searching for bargains in charity shops, and as people believed film was dead, I got a Canon FT for £3.99 and an FTb for £2.99. I got an OM10, an X-300, an X-700, an SRT-101 and a Centon DF-300 for £5 each.

Now I have 134 SLRs, 3 TLRs, a Bronica SQ-A kit, a Kiev 60, various folding cameras and 16 Rangefinders.

WOW So you buy in bulk batteries for many of them ;)
A bit off topic:- my moan for today (well a few days ago) is when Shaun was mentioning EOS cameras and I got my EOS 300 ans EOS 300v to check loading time etc Well the EOS 300 takes one AA battery and the change was the EOS 300v takes two 3v cr2 batteries, erm the batteries were flat so I had a cunning plan of using a piece of wood wrapped in foil for the first battery and a small 6v battery (3v + 3v =6v) for the 2nd, well only the display come on and no lens AF :eek:..so what's my moan? well two cr2 batteries are £4 plus and no problem if using the camera all the time but I might not use it for another year or so and the lithium batteries don't hold their charge for ever and would go flat again. :(

I've just realised mine is an F-1N after reading this Wikipedia page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_F-1

Yes the "revised" version had a higher ASA speed (up to 3200) and there was a change to the design of the film advance lever if I recall correctly.

I also have the latter F-1n version like yours, which is not a bad idea as my logic goes that any wrinkles from the first release would have been resolved and incorporated into our version.

Yes the "revised" version had a higher ASA speed (up to 3200) and there was a change to the design of the film advance lever if I recall correctly.

I also have the latter F-1n version like yours, which is not a bad idea as my logic goes that any wrinkles from the first release would have been resolved and incorporated into our version.
Yes there were 13 changes in all including adding plastic to the end of the film rewind lever, changing the standoff angle and reducing the throw off the wind on. Of the list mine is missing the rubber eyepiece surround but after 40+ years I'm not surprised.

WOW So you buy in bulk batteries for many of them ;)
A bit off topic:- my moan for today (well a few days ago) is when Shaun was mentioning EOS cameras and I got my EOS 300 ans EOS 300v to check loading time etc Well the EOS 300 takes one AA battery and the change was the EOS 300v takes two 3v cr2 batteries, erm the batteries were flat so I had a cunning plan of using a piece of wood wrapped in foil for the first battery and a small 6v battery (3v + 3v =6v) for the 2nd, well only the display come on and no lens AF :eek:..so what's my moan? well two cr2 batteries are £4 plus and no problem if using the camera all the time but I might not use it for another year or so and the lithium batteries don't hold their charge for ever and would go flat again. :(
I do buy some batteries in bulk off eBay, I have the 300x and it uses CR2s but so do a few of my cameras, a few use CR123As so I bought a few of those. Canon A & Praktica B cameras use PX128/4LR44 which aren't too expensive.

I do buy some batteries in bulk off eBay, I have the 300x and it uses CR2s but so do a few of my cameras, a few use CR123As so I bought a few of those. Canon A & Praktica B cameras use PX128/4LR44 which aren't too expensive.

Well I've just read that one guy said the Canon EOS 300v (that takes two cr2 batteries) only lasts for 5 rolls :eek:.. 80p of battery use for one roll :eek:. Stupid Canon instead are making the camera as light as possible why didn't they make it slightly bigger to take two AAs :rolleyes:
Anyone own a EOS 300v to verify what the guy said ? What about your 300x?
Just noticed the Chinese do four cr2 rechargeable batteries for £4.52 but seems odd they are 3.2v, why not 3v :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just noticed the Chinese do four cr2 rechargeable batteries for £4.52 but seems odd they are 3.2v, why not 3v :rolleyes:
The technology used determines the voltage. You cannot make a battery at any voltage you want.

The technology used determines the voltage. You cannot make a battery at any voltage you want.

But who is going to buy them for their 6v camera as people would be scared of ruining the electronics with 6.4v, but noticed one rechargeable make says 3v on the battery....of course they could be lying and it's 3.2v :shifty:

Well I've just read that one guy said the Canon EOS 300v (that takes two cr2 batteries) only lasts for 5 rolls :eek:.. 80p of battery use for one roll :eek:. Stupid Canon instead are making the camera as light as possible why didn't they make it slightly bigger to take two AAs :rolleyes:
Anyone own a EOS 300v to verify what the guy said ? What about your 300x?
Some batteries are better than others. I can't really say about how many rolls I get as I can take a while to shoot a 36 exposure roll mainly because I have other cameras. My 300x has been unused for a couple of months since I bought an EOS 3, EOS 1, Nikon FM2n, Canon A-1 and Canon F-1.

But who is going to buy them for their 6v camera as people would be scared of ruining the electronics with 6.4v, but noticed one rechargeable make says 3v on the battery....of course they could be lying and it's 3.2v :shifty:
0.4v is neither here nor there. It will make a small difference to exposure but not critically so.

Just had a look at a copy of the EOS 300 instruction manual and it quotes 24 x 24 exposure films (with 50% flash use) at 20 degrees C; or 16 rolls at -10C. With 100% flash use it quotes 12 rolls, or 8 at -10C. Without flash, it quotes 60 rolls at 20C. So unless I was shooting in -10C conditions with flash on all the time and an IS lens fitted then I think I'd be trying to find out why I was getting through a set of batteries after 5 rolls of film.

However, I have a suspicion that my Canon EOS-3 gets through a battery quicker if I leave a film loaded in it for a long time, even if it's switched off to the 'L' position. This could just be my imagination, but I try not to load it with film till it's needed and then try to finish the film in reasonable time, so that I leave the camera stored unloaded if I'm not going to use it for a while. That said, I do try to use each camera I have in rotation so none of them are sitting unused for years. Even if they're fully mechanical I think it does them good to get the cogs and springs working at least a couple of times a year.

Last edited:
I leave the camera stored unloaded if I'm not going to use it for a while. That said, I do try to use each camera I have in rotation so none of them are sitting unused for years. Even if they're fully mechanical I think it does them good to get the cogs and springs working at least a couple of times a year.

I do the same, just last night I was dry firing my Zenit 3m at all speeds, unfortunately the shutter sticks on it's slow speeds (1/30 & B). I did the same with my Canon F-1N on Wednesday night and tonight it was the Belfoca that arrived in the post today.

Just had a look at a copy of the EOS 300 instruction manual and it quotes 24 x 24 exposure films (with 50% flash use) at 20 degrees C; or 16 rolls at -10C. With 100% flash use it quotes 12 rolls, or 8 at -10C. Without flash, it quotes 60 rolls at 20C. So unless I was shooting in -10C conditions with flash on all the time and an IS lens fitted then I think I'd be trying to find out why I was getting through a set of batteries after 5 rolls of film.

However, I have a suspicion that my Canon EOS-3 gets through a battery quicker if I leave a film loaded in it for a long time, even if it's switched off to the 'L' position. This could just be my imagination, but I try not to load it with film till it's needed and then try to finish the film in reasonable time, so that I leave the camera stored unloaded if I'm not going to use it for a while. That said, I do try to use each camera I have in rotation so none of them are sitting unused for years. Even if they're fully mechanical I think it does them good to get the cogs and springs working at least a couple of times a year.

AH...Well could be my EOS 300v is faulty when switched off and draining the batteries, anyway I'll look at the bootie to see if I can pick up a 3v cr2 charger for about £1 and get the batteries later...as said, I don't want to spend too much money as I wont use it much esp as I have the Nikon f90x.

Why not treat yourself and replace your 300v with a EOS 30 instead while you can still get a lightly used, mintish one for around the £50 to £60 mark? You must have a birthday coming up some time this year, so perhaps the ideal gift for you? For your money you'd get a quiet, smallish, fairly light but solidly built camera with eye controlled focus (which also seems to weight the metering to the point you're looking at). It takes 2 of the 123 type lithium batteries which, according to the manual, appear to get through noticeably more rolls of film than the 300: at 20C it quotes 115 rolls of 36 exp with 0% flash, or 33 rolls with 50% flash (or 38 rolls of 24 exp). Worst given is 9 rolls of 36 exp at -20C with 100% flash. So I imagine that should get you through next winter OK! :D

Why not treat yourself and replace your 300v with a EOS 30 instead while you can still get a lightly used, mintish one for around the £50 to £60 mark? You must have a birthday coming up some time this year, so perhaps the ideal gift for you? For your money you'd get a quiet, smallish, fairly light but solidly built camera with eye controlled focus (which also seems to weight the metering to the point you're looking at). It takes 2 of the 123 type lithium batteries which, according to the manual, appear to get through noticeably more rolls of film than the 300: at 20C it quotes 115 rolls of 36 exp with 0% flash, or 33 rolls with 50% flash (or 38 rolls of 24 exp). Worst given is 9 rolls of 36 exp at -20C with 100% flash. So I imagine that should get you through next winter OK! :D

Thanks but I can't go down the Canon EF route as I've only got a couple of kit zooms, although I could use an M42 adapter but really my M42 cameras would be better for those lenses.

Today's foraging found me a Tamron SP 500mm f8 Macro 55BB for £80 it came with a Pentax K mount, and was boxed as new with the original receipt. I switched the mounts and tried it on my Nikon. £160 in 1987 equates to about £450 now. Someone has done a great job of looking after this lens for the last 31 years, now it's my turn.

I also got a Spice Girls Polaroid camera for £3, though the hand strap is broken and a Yashica auxiliary telephoto lens and filter for £2.50IMG_20180407_182322.jpgIMG_20180407_182538.jpgIMG_20180407_182820.jpgIMG_20180407_182944.jpgIMG_20180407_183851.jpg

I'm bemused that Argos on the highstreet sold a 500mm mirror lens in 1987, 30 years later we have to jump though internet hoops just buy a roll of film.:/

I'm bemused that Argos on the highstreet sold a 500mm mirror lens in 1987, 30 years later we have to jump though internet hoops just buy a roll of film.:/

Although we don't have to pay £159.95 to buy them anymore! (£446.26 adjusted for inflation)

So following the "expert" advice I was given in this thread Fuji GX680, good idea? the master plan is complete (and the divorce proceedings are probably about to start) and I now have both a Bronica and this beast. I'll stick some photos from it up soon

MPP Micro Technical Camera by Chris H, on Flickr

Let us know how you get on with the Tamron mirror, I was contemplating one of these or the Nikon version before Christmas, but missed out on a couple I was watching for various reasons.

BR

Anthony

I'd be interested too, heard that you get doughnut-shaped bokeh-balls!

HP finder? I never knew they were partial to brown sauce... but looking at the size of that it's probably no surprise, as I doubt it's got that big on jam butties! So perhaps It must have been on a diet of full fat fry-ups?! ;)

Brilliant Mr.B - love it LOL :)

Soon I shall have a minolta 20mm f2.8 wide angle. Sent the last of the crop digital stuff to Ffordes and decided what I really needed sitting on the shelf gathering dust was another minolta prime :) It does mean my life is now crop camera free!

Dropped in rather lucky with this.

Rolleiflex Automat 1945-1949 by Andy, on Flickr

£103 for a very nice condition Rolleiflex Automat (1945-1949). Glass is clean and fungus free with very few cleaning marks and the shutter speeds sound ok. Body is ok to good, I might treat it to a new leather sometime. The plan is for it to go to Brian Mickleboro for a service and then to fit a Rolleikin back and use it to shoot 35mm. :)

I like my automat. How fiddly is the rolleikin to fit and use?

It looks quite tricky but I am world famous for my cack-handidness so its of to Brian to be done properly.

Nice Rollei. I must say I never personally saw the appeal of shooting 35mm on a Rollei - the large square negative is part of the charm (and I struggle to frame portrait 35mm). Do you have a large stock of 35mm that you are trying to burn through?

Back