OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Hopefully my new film-related toy should be arriving today, but that's only got to travel from Yorkshire. Mind you, it's taken a week so far since I ordered it!

Decided to get an old minolta 28-105. Didn't realise it had a motorized zoom. Ugh. Arrived today. Will be sending it back tomorrow...

It's arrived! :) A battery pack for my EOS 30. This gives me the option to use ordinary AA size batteries if the required lithium ones ever become hard to obtain.

I now have an alternative power source for both my EOS 35mm SLRs, and here's a photo of them tooled up! That EOS-3 really is a beast with the PB-E2 drive fitted (giving 7 FPS), but the 30 still feels nice and light with the grip pack fitted, so I'll probably leave it on, as it's handy for portrait format. You've got to admire those Canon curves. (y)

Decided to get an old minolta 28-105. Didn't realise it had a motorized zoom. Ugh. Arrived today. Will be sending it back tomorrow...

Sorry to hear that Suz, it's so easy to miss details like that when shopping by mail order. Hope you find something else that's suitable instead.

Last edited:
Oh no!
Just got an EOS 50E this morning. It has the advantage of taking my Canon 50/1.8 II which I use on my 40D, although I only use the digital camera occasionally. It came from Collectable Cameras and is in lovely condition. I already bought a battery grip and remote for it. This weekend is ideal to try it out.

I think I might need to get an 85/1.8 for it, though.

I'll take a picture at the weekend.

My latest buy, a black Pentax MX with SMC-M 50mm f 2.0. It has an intermittent mirror issue, the shutter curtain doesn't go along far enough to trigger the mirror return.

Any thoughts on how to sort this out?IMG_20180503_204020.jpeg

It seems to be ok now I've been working the shutter for a while. Maybe it just hadn't been used in a while.

This beauty arrived yesterday :) (105-210mm C lens for Mamiya 645)

Ffordes delivery time was incredible; ordered it Wednesday, received it yesterday morning. It’s in immaculate condition as well :D all I need to do now is get it covered in salt water when I’m using it and ruin it! :/

Attachments

• 19733847-0BD1-46FF-93DC-76856C955FB9.jpeg
    19733847-0BD1-46FF-93DC-76856C955FB9.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This beauty arrived yesterday :) (105-210mm C lens for Mamiya 645)

Ffordes delivery time was incredible; ordered it Wednesday, received it yesterday morning. It’s in immaculate condition as well :D all I need to do now is get it covered in salt water when I’m using it and ruin it! :/

I thought you were ditching the 645?

I'm ditching the 645 AF. I never actually managed to sell it's 'predecessor', the 645 super, so now I'm sticking with and getting rid of the AF system.

Fair enough!

New toy arrived :)

s-l1600
by Fraser Euan White on Talk Photography

s-l1600 (1)

s-l1600 (2)

s-l1600 (7)

Wow.

You have purchased a camera system with serious cool lens options (e.g., 110mm f/2, 50mm f/2.8, 180mm f/2.8) and a host of cool features (e.g., leaf shutter lenses up to 1/1000; flat film path, etc.).

That said, you are also a very brave man.

I hope it all goes well and that you enjoy the camera.

Wow.

You have purchased a camera system with serious cool lens options (e.g., 110mm f/2, 50mm f/2.8, 180mm f/2.8) and a host of cool features (e.g., leaf shutter lenses up to 1/1000; flat film path, etc.).

That said, you are also a very brave man.

I hope it all goes well and that you enjoy the camera.

Being all electronic is a worry and I understand one day it will eventually give up the ghost but I have always loved the 6000 series that have so may advanced features and stunning lens line up.

Well, if the photos from it look as good as the camera then I think you'll enjoy owning it. :) Only one way to find out, and the weather forecast is good this weekend. (y)

How many cameras now??? :)
I think it's 136 or 137 SLRs with the Olympus FT body I just added, around 17 Rangefinders, Medium Format is covered by a Bronica SQ-A system, a Mamiya C220, a Kiev 6C, a Yashica 635 and a Yashica E.

I haven't counted my compacts, I picked up another yesterday. The Olympus Superzoom 800 came with spare batteries a film in it (5 shots taken) and two spare Kodak 400 BWC 36 exposure Black & White + film.

I have no idea how many lenses I have, I need one for the Pen FT but it'll have to wait. I bought a Tamron 28-50mm F3.5-4.5 this week. I'm trying it on my MX for those situations when a 50mm isn't wide enough. IMG_20180513_103705.jpegIMG_20180513_110736.jpegIMG_20180513_104125.jpeg

A new toy for Janet to try out (and me as well ;))

Contax 139 Quartz with a Yashica 28-85mm ML lens. The camera has been given a new claret leather cover and new light seals, the lens is a beautiful thing, buttery smooth focus ring. There's also a Zeiss 50mm f1.7 lens on the way.

Contax 139Q by Andy, on Flickr

A new toy for Janet to try out (and me as well ;))

Contax 139 Quartz with a Yashica 28-85mm ML lens. The camera has been given a new claret leather cover and new light seals, the lens is a beautiful thing, buttery smooth focus ring. There's also a Zeiss 50mm f1.7 lens on the way.

Contax 139Q by Andy, on Flickr

Converted to the light side :)
Beautiful cameras. Enjoy using it.

Converted to the light side :)
Beautiful cameras. Enjoy using it.

Cheers Ken, this is to a degree your fault but i will admit that the quality of both camera and lens are excellent.

The thought that immediately crossed my mind sprang from the observation that this is only volume 1; I therefore wondered which Contaxes were going to grace the other volume(s)?

The thought that immediately crossed my mind sprang from the observation that this is only volume 1; I therefore wondered which Contaxes were going to grace the other volume(s)?
That will have to wait, as I believe he's not finished colouring in Volumes 2 & 3 yet! :D ;)

That's the danger of getting books - you end up well red :exit:

Getting back to the point (I'm allowed sharp objects) those nice people at West Yorkshire Cameras sent me a Zeiss Jena 135mm f/4 in Exakta mount - that's the lens that actually adjusts the aperture automatically for you as you focus closer. I watched with the lens wide open as I focused closer, and saw the opening get bigger.

They also threw in the lens hood, which I didn't expect.

And they also sent the only Nikon as far as I know that was named after me (well, partially): the F2sb.

Getting back to the point (I'm allowed sharp objects) those nice people at West Yorkshire Cameras sent me a Zeiss Jena 135mm f/4 in Exakta mount - that's the lens that actually adjusts the aperture automatically for you as you focus closer.
I don't understand the point of that Stephen

I could make a sharp retort, but remembering them from my lab days I don't think I will.

Or, if it refers to the lens - it means that there's no exposure increase to factor in as you focus closer. Remember this lens is from before the days of TTL metering. (Although the Exakta had a probe that you could insert in the light path to get a spot reading - selenium based as it was a long time ago.)

Last edited:
I could make a sharp retort, but remembering them from my lab days I don't think I will.

Or, if it refers to the lens - it means that there's no exposure increase to factor in as you focus closer. Remember this lens is from before the days of TTL metering. (Although the Exakta had a probe that you could insert in the light path to get a spot reading - selenium based as it was a long time ago.)

Oh I see

I have a dental camera that does exactly the same, but I suspect for different reasons..:)
Actually on second thoughts, its not the same, it closes the aperture as you zoom in because its macro and max dof is more important.
There's that and there's the idea that dentists do teeth not photography, so anything that removes the opportunity to cock up a medical gob shot, is a good thing....

.....probably..

My new Olympus OM10 arrived yesterday. Looks to be in decent condition too. I know it's far less exotic than some of the stuff people have on this forum but I'm looking forward to shooting film for the first time in over 10 years.

Attachments

• LRM_EXPORT_20180517_070949.jpg
    LRM_EXPORT_20180517_070949.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
My new Olympus OM-10 arrived yesterday. Looks to be in decent condition too. I know it's far less exotic than some of the stuff people have on this forum but I'm looking forward to shooting film for the first time in over 10 years.
It doesn't matter how exotic it is, only that you're out there shooting some film!

That's a nice clean looking OM10 btw [emoji5]

My new Olympus OM-10 arrived yesterday. Looks to be in decent condition too. I know it's far less exotic than some of the stuff people have on this forum but I'm looking forward to shooting film for the first time in over 10 years.

Looks like new!

It doesn't matter how exotic it is, only that you're out there shooting some film!

That's a nice clean looking OM10 btw [emoji5]

Looks like new!

It is in very good condition. There's a couple of scratches on the bottom and the on/off/self timer switch doesn't really have any click stops anymore but other than that it's fine. A couple of dust spots in the lens that I'm sure won't affect anything. Pretty pleased with it for £45 off eBay with a rubber lens hood and skylight filter thrown in too. It only arrived last night and I've already nearly put a film through it just to check it all works.

It's very different from my EOS 80D but I fancied something much smaller for holidays and general photography, and I liked the idea of manual focus lenses and not getting the instant gratification of digital photography.

It is in very good condition. There's a couple of scratches on the bottom and the on/off/self timer switch doesn't really have any click stops anymore but other than that it's fine. A couple of dust spots in the lens that I'm sure won't affect anything. Pretty pleased with it for £45 off eBay with a rubber lens hood and skylight filter thrown in too. It only arrived last night and I've already nearly put a film through it just to check it all works.

It's very different from my EOS 80D but I fancied something much smaller for holidays and general photography, and I liked the idea of manual focus lenses and not getting the instant gratification of digital photography.
I doubt that you will be disappointed by the Zuiko lens. I had a 35RC and used it on holiday with some Kodak Tri-X. The results were beautifully sharp, certainly better than I expected.

Back