OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Then, just to confuse matters even more, there was the pre-war Voigtlander Bessa, like this one from the early 1930s (which I bought in the early 80s, when very few people wanted stuff like this, no matter how beautifully made it might have been).

That's lovely looking camera and the case, like new! Doesn't look as if it has vere been used.

I was surprised when I went into my corner shop today and was told I had a parcel from eBay. I only bought this OM2 Spot Program yesterday! It came from a seller on the Isle of Man. It came with a 28mm with hood and a Sun 70-210mm and manuals for the camera and the winder 2.

The 28mm has fungus and the 70-210 doesn't lock onto the camera but I wouldn't use it anyway. I'll probably have a look at cleaning the 28mm. I've put a roll of Truprint FG+ film in to test it and everything is good so far. The 50mm on it is one I got from a Cash Converters for £9.99.IMG_20200328_121647.jpg

H'mm just bought a Nikon +2 eyepiece correction lens for FG\EM as a gamble.... if it wouldn't fit my F90x maybe other make cameras.
At a last resort I do have a EM. Anyway it was a fiver inc postage so no great loss.

H'mm just bought a Nikon +2 eyepiece correction lens for FG\EM as a gamble.... if it wouldn't fit my F90x maybe other make cameras.
At a last resort I do have a EM. Anyway it was a fiver inc postage so no great loss.
Blimey Brian, you would have bartered for the full camera for a fiver at the bootie, and bided your time to get it the following week! Keeping safe and well might be the best bargain for all of us this year, so fingers crossed it might fit. (y)

Blimey Brian, you would have bartered for the full camera for a fiver at the bootie, and bided your time to get it the following week! Keeping safe and well might be the best bargain for all of us this year, so fingers crossed it might fit. (y)

Ultimate panic time with very good reason :runaway::runaway::runaway:

BRIAN spending a FIVER has to be proof to the rest of us that BOREDOM is INEVITABLE

£5 to Brian equates to probably several £100's for the rest of us .......:wideyed::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

:LOL::LOL:

Saw you'd posted in this "New Toy" thread and wondered if you'd weakened WRT a SnapShot Chroma!

Saw you'd posted in this "New Toy" thread and wondered if you'd weakened WRT a SnapShot Chroma!

:LOL:

I just saw the alert to your post in here and thought that perhaps you had news of your Snapshot purchases, one destined for the South of France.:naughty:

I live in hope;):LOL:

Look, that Brian is talking Nikon, which not very long ago would have been utterly unthinkable such was his obsession with hideous 80's shavers and Betamax remotes.
The guy has come a long way, taken great strides, we all ought to be supporting his successes in rehab, and not sniping about his spending thrift, that is a minor detail compared with the hell hole he was stuck in.

:love:

Ultimate panic time with very good reason :runaway::runaway::runaway:

BRIAN spending a FIVER has to be proof to the rest of us that BOREDOM is INEVITABLE

£5 to Brian equates to probably several £100's for the rest of us .......:wideyed::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

:LOL::LOL:

Well Asha I'll be 80 this year and you know what they say...you can't take it with you and I don't what to pay millions in inheritance tax o_O ;)

Woohoo my gamble paid off as it will fit a Canon T90, it must be cheaper than a Canon one.....that's if you are lucky enough to find one.

Perhaps over-reacting to lock-down or something?

Zenit Horizon 2, complete kit; camera, camera bag, grip, strap, instructions and passport. Like new!
Bought from Peter Loy. I'll try it out in the back yard in a bit.
IMG_0834.jpg

Box Ensign 2 1/4 B 6x9
Took the front off and lubed the shutter mechanismo which now works perfectly. I also cleaned the viewfinders which were very cloudy. It turned out not to be a problem with the mirrors, as I expected, but the viewfinder glass which seems to be sort of frosted. Well it is useable even though it's far from good. I ran a film through but had a problem keeping the film spooled tight. I'll see how it comes out.

IMG_0829.jpg

Agfa Synchro Box 6x9
All seems to work fine, I'll run a film through it this weekend. Came with a nice case and instructions.
IMG_0832.jpg

Just taken delivery of a Kodak Retinette 1B (type 037). A very well designed and made camera - I am rather impressed with it as the Retinettes were a low-end camera. Done little but clean it so far.
Retinette.jpg

Nice, with a Rodenstock lens and all. I had a Retinette, an older model without the light meter, which was a nicely made, I sold it in cull number one. Then I had cull number two, substantially every camera I owned including my mighy Yashica SLR collection, which made enough money to go up-market, in a sense. So that's when I bought my Leica and Rollei and then Nikons and Canons. Can't stop collecting while I have the means. I try to make sure I use the cameras I have, in semi-rotation, as often as possible.

IMG_3487.JPG

IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

For what will be the third time I’ve owned a Mamiya M645, I got this in the post a few days ago. It was listed as faulty, with intermittent shutter, but arrived without a battery so would only fire at 1/60th and a locked mirror. After picking up a new battery, it’s working perfectly and I’ve now got a 35/3.5 (again, my third time!) on the way too.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep this one now! I’m also going print an adaptor to mount the 80/2.8 from my Kiev88, seeing as the Kiev has stuck to form and eaten its’ own second curtain [emoji24]

After picking up a new battery, it’s working perfectly

I am jealous. I'm the sort or person that would take a punt on something like that and end up with an expensive doorstop.

I am jealous. I'm the sort or person that would take a punt on something like that and end up with an expensive doorstop.

Ian i know that feeling, i think its the only thing keeping me going hoping one day to get a bargain :) one day.......

View attachment 275075

View attachment 275076

View attachment 275077

For what will be the third time I’ve owned a Mamiya M645, I got this in the post a few days ago. It was listed as faulty, with intermittent shutter, but arrived without a battery so would only fire at 1/60th and a locked mirror. After picking up a new battery, it’s working perfectly and I’ve now got a 35/3.5 (again, my third time!) on the way too.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to keep this one now! I’m also going print an adaptor to mount the 80/2.8 from my Kiev88, seeing as the Kiev has stuck to form and eaten its’ own second curtain [emoji24]
You just can’t help yourself can you Steve?
I still have the one bought from you, really must dig it out again.

View attachment 275075

View attachment 275076

View attachment 275077

So after you sell this one you going to get a proper sized one (rb) :D

Lol, size isn’t everything Steveo, it’s what you do with it that counts [emoji23]

That's why I'll stick with 35mm and not get into this large format stuff... :D

It's always good to carry a compact camera with you :)

While I'm in this thread, a quick mention that I received a Mk2 Intrepid 10x8 today.

Last edited:
It's always good to carry a compact camera with you :)

While I'm in this thread, a quick mention that I received a Mk2 Intrepid 10x8 today.

more information, please!
Whilst film at that price may be prohibitive for me, I’m giving strong consideration to getting one for wet plate now I’ve released some funds with the sale of the Xpan.

Since you may be interested in the economics, I should begin by pointing out that the Intrepid 10x8 costs £480. That much is an obvious cost. But unless you're going to use it as an ornament, you're going to have to use film, and to use film you need a film holder. Intrepid sell them for £185 new. Second hand will be less, and it's possible to buy them new for less, but it's still a sizeable expense. That's a holder for cut film. For wet plate, you'll need to look elsewhere, and try Chromagraphica - Steve
@stevelmx5 should be able to fill you in on these. I don't know how easy wet plate holders are to obtain on the second hand market. You also need to factor in the cost of a lens that covers 10x8. I don't know how much you know about large format, but to make the full use of the camera facilities, you should have a lens that will cover more than the 10x8 format, to allow for the lens shifts (and other movements). These tend to be big and heavy.

The advantage of the Intrepid over other 10x8 cameras is the weight, or lack thereof. My first 5x4 camera was a monorail that weighed 4.2 kilos. The Intrepid 10x8 weighs half that, and therefore less than my current favorite 5x4 camera. It's easy to carry around which is a big advantage. And, to be honest, if you're carrying it around for landscapes, you don't usually need a lot of lens coverage and a small light lens is enough. I suspect the same is true for portraits, but that's outside my large format experience.

One of the things that is always at the back of my mind is that with large format, wet plate is a possibility, and would allow me to continue photography if film ceased to be made (and my stocks ran out). Dry plate is also possible, and less messy and easier in the field.

I've tried to give some Intrepid specifics and a little LF background. Is that enough to be going on with? There's a specific thread on LF that contains a lot of other info.

Since you may be interested in the economics, I should begin by pointing out that the Intrepid 10x8 costs £480. That much is an obvious cost. But unless you're going to use it as an ornament, you're going to have to use film, and to use film you need a film holder. Intrepid sell them for £185 new. Second hand will be less, and it's possible to buy them new for less, but it's still a sizeable expense. That's a holder for cut film. For wet plate, you'll need to look elsewhere, and try Chromagraphica - Steve
@stevelmx5 should be able to fill you in on these. I don't know how easy wet plate holders are to obtain on the second hand market. You also need to factor in the cost of a lens that covers 10x8. I don't know how much you know about large format, but to make the full use of the camera facilities, you should have a lens that will cover more than the 10x8 format, to allow for the lens shifts (and other movements). These tend to be big and heavy.

The advantage of the Intrepid over other 10x8 cameras is the weight, or lack thereof. My first 5x4 camera was a monorail that weighed 4.2 kilos. The Intrepid 10x8 weighs half that, and therefore less than my current favorite 5x4 camera. It's easy to carry around which is a big advantage. And, to be honest, if you're carrying it around for landscapes, you don't usually need a lot of lens coverage and a small light lens is enough. I suspect the same is true for portraits, but that's outside my large format experience.

One of the things that is always at the back of my mind is that with large format, wet plate is a possibility, and would allow me to continue photography if film ceased to be made (and my stocks ran out). Dry plate is also possible, and less messy and easier in the field.

I've tried to give some Intrepid specifics and a little LF background. Is that enough to be going on with? There's a specific thread on LF that contains a lot of other info.

Thanks Steven. I am weighing up all my options. Price wise, 5x4 seems much more affordable to get going with (costs of film, developing and scanning - I have a V700) but ultimately, if I wanted to shoot wet plate, they are a bit small. I have spoken to Steve about the Chroma and if I was buying a currently made, affordable 5x4, it would be that but I am also seduced by wood and brass of a Wista. I would LOVE 10x8 but the old cameras are expensive (IRO £2,000) and then there is the cost of film, dev and scan so right now I dunno. I will probably just continue with MF and 35mm for the foreseeable until I decide. :)

West Yorkshire Cameras have a 10x8 monorail at £999 which is a little cheaper - but it would be larger and heavier than the Intrepid or indeed any 10x8 field camera (a pure guess - I don't know the weight, but I do know what my monorail weighed!).

If you'd like to try 5x4, let me know and I can loan a camera and holders. Possibly a lens...

Last edited:
West Yorkshire Cameras have a 10x8 monorail at £999 which is a little cheaper - but it would be larger and heavier than the Intrepid or indeed any 10x8 field camera (a pure guess - I don't know the weight, but I do know what my monorail weighed!).

If you'd like to try 5x4, let me know and I can load a camera and holders. Possibly a lens...

I have seen that camera when I visited WYV a few months back (February IIRC).

That's VERY kind of you, Stephen. Can you PM me more details so we don't derail this thread??

PM sent.

I’m currently working on the wet plate holder designs, ahead of a Kickstarter campaign to fund the moulds. Like the dry plate holders, these will be released in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10.

IMG_3620.JPG

IMG_3621.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

I’ve just printed this one to test the parts out.

The dry plate holders will also hold sheet film, and we’re currently looking at keeping the 8x10 version on or around $150 each.

IMG_1059 by Des Ferguson, on Flickr

The Leicaflex is the latest addition to the 'family'.

It's not the one that @todders tried to buy from WYCameras. :)
I bought it from MWClassic which was an experience I won't be repeating anytime soon.

Lenses wise, the M2 has a 50mm Summicron, the Leicaflex SL has a 28mm Elmarit, the R4 a 90mm Summicron, the R6 a 35mm Elmarit, the R7 a 50mm Summicron.

Last edited:
I Leica that Leicaflex, its the prettiest one in the lineup
I decided that before I knew it was the reason you posted.
From a purely aesthetic perspective, the R's are just too DSLR for my taste and the RF is fussy eclectic collection of switches, bars, squares and handles.
Less is more...:)

I Leica that Leicaflex, its the prettiest one in the lineup
I decided that before I knew it was the reason you posted.
From a purely aesthetic perspective, the R's are just too DSLR for my taste and the RF is fussy eclectic collection of switches, bars, squares and handles.
Less is more...:)

The Leicaflex is lovely in the hand, heavy but solid feeling. Beautiful, big bright viewfinder too.

Back