OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

but at £10/each for the right battery I think the battery compartment is going to get modified to take 3x AA/AAA. Unless someone knows another small battery combination that will provide 4.5V

You could probably rescue a couple of square cells from a 9v rechargeable. I've done it before for a different project, the 7DayShop "9v" nimh has 6 fairly little square cells in it that you could solder together to fit.

You could probably rescue a couple of square cells from a 9v rechargeable. I've done it before for a different project, the 7DayShop "9v" nimh has 6 fairly little square cells in it that you could solder together to fit.

Well, that was fairly painless.. 4x AAA holder adapted to 3x AAA, solder in a new lead to connect the pack and snip out the redundant plastic mount for the old battery.

Well, my new 'Super' toy came today, a Plaubel 5x7 monorail which also has a 5x7-4x5 reducing back. It is an absolutely fantastic bit of kit, there is an awful lot to admire in German engineering. I really can't wait to get out and try it out, but whilst I have the camera, the lenses and even the film, I do not yet have any 5x7 film holders :bang:

Plaubel5x7.jpg

Well, my new 'Super' toy came today, a Plaubel 5x7 monorail which also has a 5x7-4x5 reducing back. It is an absolutely fantastic bit of kit, there is an awful lot to admire in German engineering. I really can't wait to get out and try it out, but whilst I have the camera, the lenses and even the film, I do not yet have any 5x7 film holders :bang:

Zoiks!! Somehow...even though there's nothing to give me a sense of scale, I think you're gonna need a bigger boat bag :D

Blinking eck!! Ed that is a fine bit of engineering.

You going to be just using it in the studio or you going to verture out and about with it?

Absolutely awesome Ed, a thing of engineering beauty, looking forward to seeing the results from this, when you get the film holders :LOL:

I think this is as big as I am going to go at the moment, I even won a nice little Horseman Woodman 4x5 outfit yesterday on the bay for a good price.

Yes, it will be going out and about occasionally, I have already found an appropriate subject for my first 5x7 image just need the right weather and of course the film holders.

I have got a couple of 13x18 film holders that came with it but the 5x7 film will apparently fall out of the holders when you withdraw the dark slide. i have thought of perhaps using some Scotch Magic Tape to make a small loop of double sided sticky and holding in a sheet of 5x7 film in the 13x18 holders.

EdBray said:
I think this is as big as I am going to go at the moment, I even won a nice little Horseman Woodman 4x5 outfit yesterday on the bay for a good price.

Yes, it will be going out and about occasionally, I have already found an appropriate subject for my first 5x7 image just need the right weather and of course the film holders.

I have got a couple of 13x18 film holders that came with it but the 5x7 film will apparently fall out of the holders when you withdraw the dark slide. i have thought of perhaps using some Scotch Magic Tape to make a small loop of double sided sticky and holding in a sheet of 5x7 film in the 13x18 holders.

That nice little Horseman you won on eBay was the one my girlfriend was looking to buy :p

Beautiful piece of kit.

That nice little Horseman you won on eBay was the one my girlfriend was looking to buy :p

Beautiful piece of kit.

Oops, Sorry! I bought it to replace my Nagaoka as it uses the same lens boards as my other two LF camera, and I am having the Plaubel converted too.

Well its been a while but here i am again posting in this very thread :LOL: I treated myself to a trip to the car boot this morning after 6 hours of sorting out our 1 bedroom flat yesterday. With 20 binbags removed i figured there was more room for cameras again :LOL:

Only 2 today, firstly we have a Werra II (i believe) sporting a lovely CZ Tessar 50mm 2.8 :love: I love this simple-ness of it, the nifty lens cover that turns into a lens hood and the film advance is on the lens itself, which is performed by twisting the black crack effect bit at the back of the lens. The shutter wasn't actually firing when i got home but i managed to free it with a little persuasion from a hair clip believe it or not :LOL: I just hope it keeps on working and doesn't keep sticking :crying: Without further adue:

Werra Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 2.8 50mm by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

And lastly i picked up this lovely example of a folding Agfa Isolette I, my first medium format camera ever (y) It all works fine and i can't wait to get some film through it. My only hesitation is that i've never shot anything without metering or TTL focusing so i'm in for a treat with this beauty! Could anybody recommend some forgiving 120 for this thing that i could have a go at because i do hate to waste good film :)

Agfa Isolette I by andyroberts1868, on Flickr

Last edited:

Nikon F80 by RJ Fletcher, on Flickr

Picked up all for £60 just need batteries and film. Aim to use for B&W mostly but will work well alongside my D90. (Already had the 70-300mm on the D90 an I love the extra reach).

Could anybody recommend some forgiving 120 for this thing that i could have a go at because i do hate to waste good film :)
Andy, try a roll of Portra 400.. you could probably put a pin blindfold into an EV chart and pick a setting that would give a usable image. It's certainly forgiving enough to make a guess using Sunny 16.

Only 2 today, firstly we have a Werra II (i believe) sporting a lovely CZ Tessar 50mm 2.8 :love: I love this simple-ness of it, the nifty lens cover that turns into a lens hood and the film advance is on the lens itself, which is performed by twisting the black crack effect bit at the back of the lens. The shutter wasn't actually firing when i got home but i managed to free it with a little persuasion from a hair clip believe it or not :LOL: I just hope it keeps on working and doesn't keep sticking :crying:

Brilliant! My first "serious" camera was a Werra 1, and I loved it (see my first "a few from each" post on the "show us yer film shots" thread). The 1 didn't have any metering, nor did I, so I went at least 4 years before getting a caera with a meter. Yes, some lost shots (but not as many as forgetting to change the focus from 15 feet!), but I think it teaches you something about the light, that I'm desparately trying to relearn!

And lastly i picked up this lovely example of a folding Agfa Isolette I, my first medium format camera ever (y) It all works fine and i can't wait to get some film through it. My only hesitation is that i've never shot anything without metering or TTL focusing so i'm in for a treat with this beauty! Could anybody recommend some forgiving 120 for this thing that i could have a go at because i do hate to waste good film :)

Looks interesting, I'm after a folding 120 as well!

thanks alastair, i'll be sure to give that a go! :D

Chris, what a coincidence! Those are some lovely shots you have there, i'll be sure to upload mine if i ever get round to using it (i already have half spent rolls in 2 or 3 cameras :LOL: )

A couple more FD purchases lately.

Won a FD 300mm f/4 (sadly not an 'L') in minty condition on the bay about three weeks ago... And today I spotted a reasonably priced Canon 500mm f/8 reflex with a hard case at Ffordes - one of those lenses I *really* wanted to own when I was fifteen. Should be delivered tomorrow, so thirty years later I'll finally get to see if I can live with donut ring bokeh and a fixed aperture. :)

Whee! My lens from eBay came in the post! Sigma Super-wide 2.8, 24mm. It is HEAVY and also the autofocus is SO LOUD. But my god it focuses really close and the wide angle really is super-wide. On my lovely EOS 600:

sB62j.jpg

I do have a question though - I have some black marks showing up through the viewfinder (on all lenses), and I think I've got some dust on the prism screen (is that a thing?). I wiped it with a cotton bud, some came off but I still have some stubborn black spots. Will they show up on my images, or should I clean them off? If so, how?

Last edited:
You have acquired one of the sharpest lenses there and you are right the AF sound like a tractor driving past, not sure on Cannon part and cleaning as I only have Nikon camera,s, but someone will be along soon to help.

Richard.

Last edited:
You have acquired one of the sharpest lenses there and you are right the AF sound like a tractor driving past, not sure a Cannon as I only have Nikon camera,s, but someone will be along soon to help.

Richard.

It was only £17, a right bargain! Probably passed up by most as it doesn't work with DSLRs. Don't know if you can get adapters for it, either.

It was only £17, a right bargain! Probably passed up by most as it doesn't work with DSLRs. Don't know if you can get adapters for it, either.

I am not sure you are right there, the camera you are showing has an EF mount therefore should not the lens mount and function on all EF mount camera,s which include DSLR,s?

I am not sure you are right there, the camera you are showing has an EF mount therefore should not the lens mount and function on all EF mount camera,s which include DSLR,s?

Apparently it works with some older ones. I tried it on my 400D and it gave "error 99", which is a nonspecific error, used when an accessory fails. It mounts ok, but then does not take pictures. Boo!

Apparently it works with some older ones. I tried it on my 400D and it gave "error 99", which is a nonspecific error, used when an accessory fails. It mounts ok, but then does not take pictures. Boo!

I see, If you try it in AV mode it should function, but only at f2.8, that would allow you to take some photo,s on your 400D, I think that Sigma will still re-chip the lens to function on all digital Canons, but that would be an expensive route to take.

Richard.

I see, If you try it in AV mode it should function, but only at f2.8, that would allow you to take some photo,s on your 400D, I think that Sigma will still re-chip the lens to function on all digital Canons, but that would be an expensive route to take.

Richard.

ahhhh, thanks for the tip! :D

I do have a question though - I have some black marks showing up through the viewfinder (on all lenses), and I think I've got some dust on the prism screen (is that a thing?). I wiped it with a cotton bud, some came off but I still have some stubborn black spots. Will they show up on my images, or should I clean them off? If so, how?

not if they're on the focusing screen , if you can live with the marks dont bother

not if they're on the focusing screen , if you can live with the marks dont bother

If you're looking into the camera body, where the lens should be, it's not the mirror but the thing directly above it. Ridged glass thing, the "ceiling", if you will. If it won't show up on the photos then I won't bother, cheers!

If you're looking into the camera body, where the lens should be, it's not the mirror but the thing directly above it. Ridged glass thing, the "ceiling", if you will. If it won't show up on the photos then I won't bother, cheers!

That'll be the prism then. Are you sure the light seals are okay? They can crumble and with the action of the moving mirror, can be dislodged/thrown onto one of the surfaces of the prism (like what has happened now).

That'll be the prism then. Are you sure the light seals are okay? They can crumble and with the action of the moving mirror, can be dislodged/thrown onto one of the surfaces of the prism (like what has happened now).

Ahh I didn't consider that. I'll have a look - thanks!

No, that'll be the focusing screen then... but on to the EF lenses, yes they will work on all bodies but there is a hack (literally, as in cutting a piece out) that will make them play ball. Do a search in this film forum for it or maybe Mark can remember the details since it was he that told me about it.

No, that'll be the focusing screen then... but on to the EF lenses, yes they will work on all bodies but there is a hack (literally, as in cutting a piece out) that will make them play ball. Do a search in this film forum for it or maybe Mark can remember the details since it was he that told me about it.

I think you're referring to the bayonet mount on some of the manual adaptors being either too long or too short to press the "microswitch" inside the camera Arthur...

Adaptor "hack"

EOS Mount Switching by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Microswitch

EOS Switch by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Though - in fairness, I doubt that this is the problem here

Ah, that's the one... pity then. Which lenses hit mirrors? EF-s? Scarily worrying the stuff you forget!

No, that'll be the focusing screen then...

Unfortunately, not always - since focusing screens and prisms on lower end cameras like that EOS tend to not be sealed in, there is ample opportunity for crud and dirt to go into places that are a headache! Especially if the focusing screen bracket is a bit loose...

Oh dear. I was sure GAS wouldn't get me, but I got worried about my Oxfam Trip, then took a trip to Edinburgh, found Camerabase in Morningside, and now I've bought a Canonet QL17 GIII:

DSCF2662.jpg

I came back to look at it again several days after seeing it first, after finding a MUCH cheaper QL19; however the latter seemed much bigger and heavier (not to mention the slower lens :cautious:), and had a problem that would have required a CLA anyway. I also looked at an Olympus XA, but the rangefinder patch is nearly invisible, despite the camera ticking so many other boxes. So I decided to get the QL17.

I've run about half a 100 ISO TMax film through it this afternoon, and TBH I'm a bit less convinced than I was when I bought it. :bonk: The shutter release has an incredibly long press, which I've been finding very difficult (my right hand fingers are extremely limited in their bending). I suspect I'm moving the camera just trying to get the shutter to fire; much harder than the Trip. Also, I do like the rangefinder focussing, and the focus lever is very well placed, but after focusing I have to change my grip in order to get good access to the shutter button, and I keep knocking the focus lever!

I'm hoping it's a matter of getting used to it; it's certainly a steeper learning curve than the Trip was. But I do think that shutter priority is good for me (the Pentax ME is Aperture priority, of course). This messing with older cameras is at least partly to remind me of the basics of photography so that my, ahem, non-film photography gets better!

My QL17 didn't come with a lens cap (or case), and I've realised that this is a slight problem as there's no off switch for the meter (apparently it relies on the lens cap to turn it off!). Also filters seem pretty hard to find (there's a 48mm skylight filter on there in lieu of a lens cap). So I've ordered a 48-49mm stepup ring, with the idea of using my Pentax filters and pinch lens cap! I hope this works!

My QL17 didn't come with a lens cap (or case), and I've realised that this is a slight problem as there's no off switch for the meter (apparently it relies on the lens cap to turn it off!). Also filters seem pretty hard to find (there's a 48mm skylight filter on there in lieu of a lens cap). So I've ordered a 48-49mm stepup ring, with the idea of using my Pentax filters and pinch lens cap! I hope this works!

Just turn the aperture ring to any value other than A, that turns off the metering.

Just turn the aperture ring to any value other than A, that turns off the metering.

Hey that's brilliant! Thanks. (There seem to be lots of strange interlocks on this camera that make things rather counter-intuitive; changing the ISO needed a screwdriver to push and turn, and I seem to remember that moving off A requires pushing in a metal button on the side of the lens...) A manual would probably be a good idea...

Quick Google search later, found one at http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/range/giii_ql17_scans_s.pdf (password Pentax). It doesn't seem to suggest things should be as stiff as they currently are. Maybe it'll free up in use!

Unfortunately, not always - since focusing screens and prisms on lower end cameras like that EOS tend to not be sealed in, there is ample opportunity for crud and dirt to go into places that are a headache! Especially if the focusing screen bracket is a bit loose...

I thought the poster was referring to the bit the mirror flips up onto...

"... the thing directly above it. Ridged glass thing, the "ceiling", if you will..."

The focusing screen. Not what the dirt was in/on/over.

Back