OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I had a feeling it might be a large camera, I've seen some of your previous toys. :eek:

I get a little confused by field cameras, above is the mid section and to that you need to add a lens and a back? That all? And for each back you only get one sheet of film?

Just about finished scanning the negatives.. they are a touch out of focus... If you squint you can just about recognise the faces, some are better. Some have been ruined by motion blur, need to be a bit slower in operation with it. Quite squint on the horizons as well need to get some more practice in I think.

There are striatons down most of the roll, I presume this has been caused by the rollers. Is this common? Doesn't seem to have effected the scans.

Sounds to me like you have all the features offered by an 80 ish year old box camera!! lol

I suspect i will have plenty of faults by the time i get to that age, blimey i have enough already!!:D

On a more serious note, I have had striatons on the film from more than one box camera.....like you say presumably caused by the rollers.
Tbh for me it is simply part of using that type of old kit and to a point adds to the character of the photograph / camera.
I have yet to come across a way of avoiding the problem.

You may be able to overcome the squint horizons with practice.....Often the scene in the viewfinder doesn't relate fully to what ends up on film .....can be a little frustrating but if you use it fairly regularly you will learn all the little quirks of your new toy and be able to get the best from it.

Black body Bessa R in the post today... after a long time I decided that while it's fun to have the odd spare camera or two it is a bit naughty... if they don't get used they should really go to someone that *will* use them.

After much hair-pulling and deliberation the decision was made to go for a Bessa. But then R or R2? Main difference really for me was the L39 thread of the R over the Leica bayonet of the R2. Whilst yes, L39 adapters for the bayonet mount are available I really don;t think I could afford decent glass in that format lens, hence the decision to go for the R. That and the X100 for digital means I got most things covered (a decent set of tele/wide converters make the X100 unbeatable) with a pair of cameras so similar in size and style that swapping from one to the other should be no problem. So that's me sorted for the foreseeable. No really, it is. (y)

Black body Bessa R in the post today... after a long time I decided that while it's fun to have the odd spare camera or two it is a bit naughty... if they don't get used they should really go to someone that *will* use them.

After much hair-pulling and deliberation the decision was made to go for a Bessa. But then R or R2? Main difference really for me was the L39 thread of the R over the Leica bayonet of the R2. Whilst yes, L39 adapters for the bayonet mount are available I really don;t think I could afford decent glass in that format lens, hence the decision to go for the R. That and the X100 for digital means I got most things covered (a decent set of tele/wide converters make the X100 unbeatable) with a pair of cameras so similar in size and style that swapping from one to the other should be no problem. So that's me sorted for the foreseeable. No really, it is. (y)

Sound logic there Arthur, I have a bid in on an X100 at the moment, so fingers crossed.(y)

medwaygreen said:
Sound logic there Arthur, I have a bid in on an X100 at the moment, so fingers crossed.(y)

X100. I'd love one....okay okay...I'm going off to wash my mouth out with soap..

I have to say it is the first digital camera that gets to me the same as a filmie does... and that's a real plus.

Incidentally, the Bessa had some serious competition from the Canon 7 and the Canon P... but won on looks, metering and just outright coolness on being a valid and successful film camera in a digital age.

Last edited:
Had a G2 for a while. Superb lenses giving that true zeiss look. However the camera was so automated and the AF quirky that I sold it on and got a Leica instead. Much more engaging!

Yes, I think I decided (without ever getting to try one) that it was probably too automated. What's the point of a film camera that's as fast and as auto as a digeri one? Let's slooooooooow down!

I'm also winning the battle not to be tempted by Leica. Silly money and you have to take the bottom of the camera OFF to change the film? :thumbsdown:

Mind you if it turned out there was a Leica in my father's old camera stock (that my sister has "somewhere" :wave:), I might be tempted! Don't think so, although I'm a little hopeful of an Ikonta and/or a Rolleiflex... :eek:

Yes, I think I decided (without ever getting to try one) that it was probably too automated. What's the point of a film camera that's as fast and as auto as a digeri one? Let's slooooooooow down!

I'm also winning the battle not to be tempted by Leica. Silly money and you have to take the bottom of the camera OFF to change the film? :thumbsdown:

Mind you if it turned out there was a Leica in my father's old camera stock (that my sister has "somewhere" :wave:), I might be tempted! Don't think so, although I'm a little hopeful of an Ikonta and/or a Rolleiflex... :eek:

Nowt wrong with a leica! ;) Solid, reliable and simple to operate. I change a film in my M6 faster than I used to in my OM-2SP and due to the way you load the feeder is trapped each and every time, allowing me to get 38-39 exposures out of each and every roll of film! Mind you that does mean it takes even longer to finish one off...

Finally got round to taking a pic of the Pentax K1000 one of several Pentaces (is that the plural of Pentax?) that Steve and I collected a few weeks ago now. Steve gave it a really good clean and I am in the process of putting the second film through it. Makes a change to have a light meter again!

Heather

Ah, but Arthur, we all know you've got "previous" for saying that sort of thing...

Actually, I think you've made a damn fine choice - I don't really get on with rangefinders - I've tried to grow to love them, but they just don't do it for me. I do like the look of the Bessa's though - and one day I'll get my mits on something like the r4a or similar, and give it a proper tryout, maybe that'll be the camera that makes me like rangefinders... who knows.

Mark, currently I have an R and an R2 winging their way here - you are welcome to a loan of one if you feel like a rip? Would have to be lens-less but I happen to know you have a fat lens cap somewhere with some glass attached...

Finally got round to taking a pic of the Pentax K1000 one of several Pentaces (is that the plural of Pentax?) that Steve and I collected a few weeks ago now. Steve gave it a really good clean and I am in the process of putting the second film through it. Makes a change to have a light meter again!

Heather

Seriously cool. Reminds me of college. Ah those were the days...messing about in the darkroom
:cool:

Mark, currently I have an R and an R2 winging their way here - you are welcome to a loan of one if you feel like a rip? Would have to be lens-less but I happen to know you have a fat lens cap somewhere with some glass attached...

Very generous Arthur, but I'm afraid I'm really not shooting much of anything at the moment - personal circumstances and real life have just taken over a bit, and I've probably only taken 80 frames this year - both film and digital - and that incudes a test roll in a Yashica Electro 35 AND entering the first 6 months of the POTY competition. Since getting accused of cheating in the comp. I'm not likely to even bother shooting for that for the rest of the year, so I doubt I'd get through a roll of 35mm before this time next year :(

You? Cheating? Bugger all likely imo... stuff like that does drag you down (did me anyway, but that was a while back) but you gotta rise above it.

Hey, they're entitled to their opinion - and as "staff" it's better to just explain what happened and distance myself from any further entries (and, waive my prize, as the accusations didn't cut much ice with the voters, and I won (okay co-won) anyway...) but it's certainly left me unlikely to do anything further on the competition front on here - pity really - as if everything works out right, next years POTY should be a cracker.

I got my baby! A Polaroid SX-70 with leather case, from the iffy Rocky Cameras. A few problems, done a write-up on it here: http://www.35millimetre.co.uk/2012/08/polaroid-sx-70.html

sx-70+open+on+case.jpg

Black body Bessa R in the post today...

Sadly arrived today and is not really as I expected... the front lens plate has some corrosion issues lifting the finish so it looks like it will be going back to where it came from :thumbsdown:

I was actually quite liking the idea of having an R and an R2 as well :shake:

This is true - but when it is described as "Like new", "as perfect a condition as you will find" then you tend to expect a little better :shrug:

The not-so-happy couple... note corrosion around lens plate on the R, dammit :dummy:

happycouple.jpg

Last edited:
That's a real shame Arthur, I've got an R and it's a cracking little camera, great fun to use and really nice condition apart from a little scratch on the top-plate.

Scratches are signs of use Nick, corrosion is neglect :(

Picked this up at an auction yesterday.

Was going to just pass it along but it's in mint condition and came with plenty of accessories that I won't need and my EM is now surplus to requirements too so I think I can keep it and still be in the money.

481140_471921176160463_465091036_n.jpg

One of the things it came with was this just ever so slightly out of date film.

418670_471973432821904_404773772_n.jpg

Yeah speed will definitely be an issue. The box rates the film as "ASA, Weston 32 - BS, SCH. 26 - DIN 16".

So in modern iso terms that would have been about 40 I think?

I'm thinking that'll have at least halved by now?

Yeah speed will definitely be an issue. The box rates the film as "ASA, Weston 32 - BS, SCH. 26 - DIN 16".

So in modern iso terms that would have been about 40 I think?

I'm thinking that'll have at least halved by now?

Actually the answer is staring you in the face, it would be ISO 40 which is the same as ASA and 16 DIN is equivalent to 40. Unfortunately the film predates the C-41 process (1972) and would have used the C-22 process, which only about 5 or 6 labs in the World can still do and I suspect you would not get anything off it as colour neg films from the time are not known for being very recoverable if found exposed nowadays.

Just got a Pentax-M SMC 135mm f/3.5 lens from Oxfam today. Lovely and light, and appears to use the same 49mm filters the 50mm f/1.7 does.

On the down side, when I got home (after visiting a different shop and messing about with camera bags that I didn't buy) I find my Pentax ME is missing a little screwy thing on the bottom, opposite end from the battery compartment. The manual (I still have the original manual!!!!) says it's a "Film transport coupler". How desparate is this? :help:

The manual (I still have the original manual!!!!) says it's a "Film transport coupler". How desparate is this? :help:

It's just the cover for the port that links up the camera body to a power winder/motor drive. Most of them are missing on cameras!

It's just the cover for the port that links up the camera body to a power winder/motor drive. Most of them are missing on cameras!

Ah, that sounds good. Not a light leak, then!

Actually the answer is staring you in the face, it would be ISO 40 which is the same as ASA and 16 DIN is equivalent to 40. Unfortunately the film predates the C-41 process (1972) and would have used the C-22 process, which only about 5 or 6 labs in the World can still do and I suspect you would not get anything off it as colour neg films from the time are not known for being very recoverable if found exposed nowadays.

Oh well, that sucks but it's still a hella cool wee thing to have.

Another new toy that goes into Myself and Heathers toy collection...Pentax MX..

I have stipped it down cleaned it up fitted new light seals and mirror buffer, I have tried it out and it all works ok and is a cracking little camera..

I will put some test shots from it in the " show us your film shots bit "

Thanks for looking , Steve.

Another new toy that goes into Myself and Heathers toy collection...Pentax MX..

I have stipped it down cleaned it up fitted new light seals and mirror buffer, I have tried it out and it all works ok and is a cracking little camera..

I will put some test shots from it in the " show us your film shots bit "

Thanks for looking , Steve.

Does the metering still work? You should have red, amber and green LEDs in the viewfinder. Cracking little camera. I had two of these years ago and they were flawless - two of the best cameras I ever owned.

Does the metering still work? You should have red, amber and green LEDs in the viewfinder. Cracking little camera. I had two of these years ago and they were flawless - two of the best cameras I ever owned.

Yes I popped two new batteries in and everything is as it should be...It's one of those camera's that just feels right in your hand.

Back