OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

That's a sexy looking camera Steve :naughty:

Look forward to seeing some shots from her (y)

Replacement for the sadly not-perfect R... the R2 - with cool 35mm f/2.5 :D

DSCF1144.JPG

Another new toy that goes into Myself and Heathers toy collection...Pentax MX..

I have stipped it down cleaned it up fitted new light seals and mirror buffer, I have tried it out and it all works ok and is a cracking little camera..

I will put some test shots from it in the " show us your film shots bit "

Thanks for looking , Steve.

Oooooohhhh jealous! I bid for a LX on the fleabay that looked wonderfully cheap, it finally went for 50% over what I was prepared to pay (but probably 50% under what I would have to pay at a dealer). I'd love a LX, but I don't think I can justify it, so I'm beginning to bend my brain towards a MX. Looking for a Pentax with manual mode as well as A, that will take my Pentax-M lenses. My Pentax ME is great as long as you're prepared to live with its metering, and my Velvia experiment suggests I need to have a bit more control.

Would a MX be a good choice?

(PS mods, this isn't a Wanted post, it's an info request post! :cautious:)

I acquired an Ensign All Distance from Rocky Cameras earlier this week for the princely sum of £5, as to be expected from Rocky, it didnt work so i tore it to pieces and fixed it. I put a test roll through it yesterday but i imagine the exposures will be awful as the apertures you can choose from are "Small, Medium and Large" and i dont know what the shutter speed is (y) Judging by it's construction it's going to be about as light tight as a sieve

Photos to follow

I acquired an Ensign All Distance from Rocky Cameras earlier this week for the princely sum of £5, as to be expected from Rocky, it didnt work so i tore it to pieces and fixed it. I put a test roll through it yesterday but i imagine the exposures will be awful as the apertures you can choose from are "Small, Medium and Large" and i dont know what the shutter speed is (y) Judging by it's construction it's going to be about as light tight as a sieve

Photos to follow

Would give an educated guess at F/16, F/22 and F/32 with a shutter in the region of 1/30

If you open it up and fire the shutter alongside another camera that you actually know the speed is correct then you can pretty much judge it....it aint gunna be faster than 1/60 that's for sure

As for aperture...measure distance from rear of lens to focal plane (film!) ...probably about 110mm .....divide that by the diameter of the aperture opening ...largest possibly about 7mm ....equates to 15.7......that would round to an F/16 !!

It's a rough guide but it does work ...how d you think i work out most of my stuff!! lol

I received in the post yesterday what I hope is going to be a right bargain.....an OM10 with manual adapter, grip/winder and T20 flash along with a 2 x teleconverter.......in the middle of testing it out ...all sounds good albiet some controls are very stiff atm due to lack of use possibly.

All being well i'll have some results to post up soon!

I've actually just posted a thread here with regards to the flash synch if any of you guys can help me out....

Last edited:
Oooooohhhh jealous! I bid for a LX on the fleabay that looked wonderfully cheap, it finally went for 50% over what I was prepared to pay (but probably 50% under what I would have to pay at a dealer). I'd love a LX, but I don't think I can justify it, so I'm beginning to bend my brain towards a MX. Looking for a Pentax with manual mode as well as A, that will take my Pentax-M lenses. My Pentax ME is great as long as you're prepared to live with its metering, and my Velvia experiment suggests I need to have a bit more control.

The MX is a nicely built camera and certainly a lot different the the ME, but it is fully manual with no A mode. The only part the batteries operate is the lightmeter. but as I said it is really well built and a nice little camera.

Nice MX! I love mine, but the little metering lights can be a bit iffy (even with new batteries).

^ sounds like contacts need some cleaning I think. The MX is great, but no A mode (which is probably why I don't use mine more). Great handling little body, and very durable and tactile. They are a steal for what they go for now!

Looks familiar! ;)

Indeed - and delighted I am too. Luckily, seeing the pic again made me realise that a roll of Reala is not likely to benefit too much from a Y52 filter :bonk:

What about a ME Super? Aperture priority and full manual. Nice and compact and you should be able to get one pretty cheap. Not sure what to look out for on them, someone else may be able to help on that.

^ sounds like contacts need some cleaning I think. The MX is great, but no A mode (which is probably why I don't use mine more). Great handling little body, and very durable and tactile. They are a steal for what they go for now!

I wouldn't know where to start... I've found it's not as jittery if I select the aperture and play with shutter speed instead. I really don't trust myself to take anything apart!

I received in the post yesterday what I hope is going to be a right bargain.....an OM10 with manual adapter, grip/winder and T20 flash along with a 2 x teleconverter.......in the middle of testing it out ...all sounds good albiet some controls are very stiff atm due to lack of use possibly.

All being well i'll have some results to post up soon!

I've actually just posted a thread here with regards to the flash synch if any of you guys can help me out....

Well here it is:

olympusom10.jpg

Shot at 2012-08-19

Just scanned the negs from the test shots and well pleased to find all looks to work ok ...even the metering seems to be pretty much spot on!

A weekend arrival:

Holga 120WPC

holga120wpc.jpg

Shot at 2012-08-20

A weekend arrival:

Holga 120WPC

holga120wpc.jpg

Shot at 2012-08-20

They're fun - I'm quite attached to my (slightly modified) version...

Holga WPC120 Pinhole Camera by The Big Yin, on Flickr

It's got a 52mm-77mm adaptor ring araldited to the front, so I could use my filters (primarily on the B&W stuff) - had to be 77mm as anything less caused even more vignetting ;)

They're fun - I'm quite attached to my (slightly modified) version...

Holga WPC120 Pinhole Camera by The Big Yin, on Flickr

It's got a 52mm-77mm adaptor ring araldited to the front, so I could use my filters (primarily on the B&W stuff) - had to be 77mm as anything less caused even more vignetting ;)

I'll have a play and see what results i get before attaching filters but good to know the cameras plastic doesn't disintergrate when in contact with araldite......wouldn't be the first time i've kn*****ed something up with glue!

Bit of a clearout around here and came across a box of Ilford HP5 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 plate film... and it got me thinking along the lines of "Why the hell did I buy that?"

Many scratches later I remembered I had a wee quarter plate camera in the middle of a total renovation in a box somewhere... so I went and dug it out and sure enough, it's in the middle of a major reno. In the meantime I'd rediscovered my stash of 120 film and there was the quandary - I *knew* I had a Rollex roll back for quarter plate somewhere.

This morning, staring into space, I remembered. Leapt up, pounced onto an old leather case in the garage, opened it and voila...

DSCF12271.JPG

Frank Deckel quarter plate, Zodellar f/3.5 105mm with sport finder, uppy-downy and lefty-righty shifty stuff, Rollex roll film back, focusing back and (sadly) only one sheet film back.

I think it may actually be illegal to own one of these in the same house as some 120 film and not do anything about it... who am I to argue?

Last edited:
It's a slippery slope... I see an 8x10 in your future ;)

No, I think not. I am struggling to keep even film in my future these days tbh.

Bit of a clearout around here and came across a box of Ilford HP5 3-1/4 x 4-1/4 plate film... and it got me thinking along the lines of "Why the hell did I buy that?"

Many scratches later I remembered I had a wee quarter plate camera in the middle of a total renovation in a box somewhere... so I went and dug it out and sure enough, it's in the middle of a major reno. In the meantime I'd rediscovered my stash of 120 film and there was the quandary - I *knew* I had a Rollex roll back for quarter plate somewhere.

This morning, staring into space, I remembered. Leapt up, pounced onto an old leather case in the garage, opened it and voila...

DSCF12271.JPG

Frank Deckel quarter plate, Zodellar f/3.5 105mm with sport finder, uppy-downy and lefty-righty shifty stuff, Rollex roll film back, focusing back and (sadly) only one sheet film back.

I think it may actually be illegal to own one of these in the same house as some 120 film and not do anything about it... who am I to argue?

That's a thing of beauty Arthur but I understand only too well how difficult it is to keep using these old cameras, I struggle enough and most of mine are cameras that take easily obtained modern film let alone 1/4 plate stuff.

Would love to see the results from this Arthur, when you have the time of course ;)

DSCF12271.JPG

Its like a speed graphic that has gone through a boil wash!

That's a thing of beauty Arthur but I understand only too well how difficult it is to keep using these old cameras, I struggle enough and most of mine are cameras that take easily obtained modern film let alone 1/4 plate stuff.

Would love to see the results from this Arthur, when you have the time of course ;)

Well to start it's going to have to be a roll (just because cutting up sheets in a bag and getting the into a holder and exposing and getting developing done without a dark room is a bit awkward) first, but notice now my #1 tripod is still in Newcastle so I may be forced to use something thast really never should see the light of day :eek:

Its like a speed graphic that has gone through a boil wash!

Yeah, does everthing they can but also fits in your pocket (y)

Well to start it's going to have to be a roll (just because cutting up sheets in a bag and getting the into a holder and exposing and getting developing done without a dark room is a bit awkward)

Very nice little number you have there!

Have to agee that it is very time consuming and at at times quite frustrating messing about with sheet film and holders in a changing bag especially with old gear but for me the satisfction of obtaining a result overcomes that....None of my 1/4, 1/2 or whole plate size cameras have a facilty to fit a roll film back so you're in a privelidged positon really.

I too would like to see some results as and when you get a roll through it.

Ahem. It is of course Friedrich Deckel, no idea why I said Frank, sorry. Must be a Freudian slip - I just quit working for a company called Frank's ...

Could be - no telling what's rolling around up there after 52 years :D

Here's my humble little collection.

I started picking these up in the last year with a view to restoring & using them, I'm a total novice when it comes to camera's inner workings so I'm not in any rush to take them all to pieces, that said all but one of them are in full working order. I'm greatest challenge is finding the film for these cameras & learning how to use them properly.

To begin:

Kodak instamatic 133
My Granddad gave me one of these as my first camera, this one I picked up for 99p.

eea00ddb.jpg

Kodak Brownie 127
In pretty good condition, but the Bakerlite is chipped around the front. I may need to cover that if I want to use it. Another 99p buy.

2b575c91.jpg

Kodak Bullet camera
I love this camera such a beautiful design & made in Canada. The wind out lens is a great feature, condition is (ahem) 'honest' but then I paid £5 for it. Currently I'm on the lookout for a nicer one.

f92f33d6.jpg

Montanus Del Monta
I love this TLR & it's in great condition, the case looks almost new. Timer is a little 'sticky' on longer exposures but I've read a tiny drop of lighter fluid will free these mechanisms up. Viewing screen needs cleaning from the inside but I need to come up with some tools to get in there as I can't see a way of getting the camera apart without breaking the delicate plastic bits. Paid £20 for this, think that was too much now. :(

9bd3b931.jpg

ac4d8ea3.jpg

That ends Part 1, Part 2 to follow. :D

Last edited:
Part 2.

Voigtländer Brillant
Another TLR & my most recent buy (£30 eek!) I love the super bright view finder & again this came with a mint case & original box.

9cf7248e.jpg

e53f7e09.jpg

& my absolute favourite buy & camera...

Kodak Retinette
Bought this for £5 on Ebay & it came with a ton of accesories, belonged to the sellers Uncle who was a keen togger before he passed away, my favourite bits is the clockwork timer & the beautiful fold out flash, such a cool 60's design.
The camera is equally as lovely & in great condition.

f26047d1.jpg

c36b479a.jpg

So there you go, hope you liked them & any info or advice will be gratefully accepted. :D

Last edited:
Hey they look wonderful, Loz. Please show us what they can do when you get a chance!

Nice collection going on there Loz, I picked up a brilliant the other week and managed to get some reasonable B & W photo's out of it..

It would be good to see some pics from your collection..

Agreed a nice little collection Loz.......a couple of them i wouldn't mind adding to my own collection ..particularly the "Bullet" ....don't knock it's cosmetic condition too much......it may offer a half decent result if you get some film through it...It's not all about "loooks...well that's what i have to tell myself :D

Thank you all,
All the cameras were bought in a fairly short time & quite recently, I've had to stop my self looking at any more as the temptation was too great!
Hopefully, I will attempt to use them very soon, the Retinette probably the easiest as it's a 35mm the others are a bit more of a mystery to me & I need to find out more about film loading & such. I've been told there's a monthly meet/market at my local racecourse (Dunstall Race course) & I'll be able to pick up what I need from there & possibly another camera if I can't control my self! :LOL:

No, I think not. I am struggling to keep even film in my future these days tbh.

I can barely remember the last time I took a frame, even on digital :shake:

I really feel for you guys and it's a shame that photography doesn't seem to be playing much of a part in your lives at the moment.

With the greatest respect to the other current stalwart contributors to the f&c section it is without doubt the original welcome I received from yourselves and the likes Ujjwal that made joining TP and particularly the f&c section so enjoyable.

Let's hope you will both get your film mojo back soon.

Back