OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Here's my latest aquisition, not specifically photographic use normally but I've always fancied having my own little storage space for my film (just thought I would use the top space for a couple of bottles). Bought it with yesterday's birthday money. :naughty:

newtoy.jpg

Here's my latest aquisition, not specifically photographic use normally but I've always fancied having my own little storage space for my film (just thought I would use the top space for a couple of bottles). Bought it with yesterday's birthday money. :naughty:

newtoy.jpg

Nice, my fridge at uni holds only Beer, film and milk :D and its a proper under counter one... Priorities eh?

Twenty rolls of Ektar, twenty rolls of Portra 400 dropped through the door today (all 120).. .. anyone would think Kodak's in trouble.. .. :D

6818303349_df7f3ba0f8_b.jpg

building up again !
soon to join - 50mm f1.4 .
do have a w.rokkor 28mm f2.8 and can't decide which one to keep - this tamron or the minolta.
also will probably resell the grip as well.
missed my X700 :)
this one is not mint as the old one but I kind of like it that way.

anyone has MD to M4/3rds adapters ? :D

I did have a new toy..... but its got to go back! :bang::bang::bang::bang:

Got what I thought was a great deal at Rocky Cameras, a mint condition, boxed Minolta AF 35 - 70mm f4 which was supposed to be in perfect working order which 'stops down correctly...... For £19 inc postage I couldn't argue, they normally go for £40+ on ebay.

I get the lens in the post and initially I'm really happy with it , its in great condition, focuses correctly etc. I go go out for a little walk with the Dynax 5 and a roll of Acros and take about 5 frames. When I get back though and try the macro/close focus option on it with the DOF preview button, the penny suddenly drops, the viewfinder doesn't go dark when it stops down!! Wondering why I take the lens off the camera and it doesn't stop down to the smallest aperture like it should. I then discover that basically the aperture pin which should be sprung and have a tension doesn't at all so the lens is unable to stop down. Basically all those 5 frames are hence 2+ stops overexposed.

Not at all happy so its got to go back :bang::bang::bang: - why can I never get a good deal???

***why can I never get a good deal???***

Pot luck with Rocky cameras, on ebay he was ferndowncameras with many complaints.

I'd heard from others that there were problems sometimes with Rocky Cameras not quite describing items as there were but I took them with a pinch of salt and decided to get it as it was such a good price. I'm going to put the money I get back towards my 'beercan' fund as I've always wanted a 70 - 210 f4 Minolta AF but never had the money for one, going to try saving some cash towards one!

Don't think I'll be buying anything from them again unless its really really cheap, rare or something that has nothing that can go wrong with it!

(Come to think of it, I did get one good deal once, a Pentax SMC Takumar 28mm f3.5 mounted on the front of a beat up ESII being sold for parts/not working. Near perfect condition with only one tiny little insignificant scratch plus the camera actually might work with a bit of love and care! Best £30 I ever got my parents to spend on me for Christmas!)

Last edited:
I've had loads of stuff off him over the years, and yes his descriptions could sometimes be a little clearer, but overall for the prices I pay from him compared to ebay then I'll stick with it!

Just a quick sort of 'spec me'. Somebody on another forum is asking for advice on a camera for an eight year old. I think film is definitely worth considering, i had one when i was that age (not that long ago really). So a point and shoot, ideally one that's relatively small and looks quite modern/good, so they don't jump to conclusions or feel ashamed using it. But for once, image quality doesn't really matter all that much. Build quality would be nice, we all know how children have a tendency to break things :D

I'd sat something like a Canon Demi, but they tend to go for a lot and there aren't that many that are still in good condition unfortunately. Suggestions (didn't think it was worth a thread since it would be a thread about a thread and that's just wrong)? :)

Just a quick sort of 'spec me'. Somebody on another forum is asking for advice on a camera for an eight year old. I think film is definitely worth considering, i had one when i was that age (not that long ago really). So a point and shoot, ideally one that's relatively small and looks quite modern/good, so they don't jump to conclusions or feel ashamed using it. But for once, image quality doesn't really matter all that much. Build quality would be nice, we all know how children have a tendency to break things :D

I'd sat something like a Canon Demi, but they tend to go for a lot and there aren't that many that are still in good condition unfortunately. Suggestions (didn't think it was worth a thread since it would be a thread about a thread and that's just wrong)? :)

Agfa Optima 335. Cheap, easy to use, plenty on Ebay. It is zone focus though, but there are nice logical symbols. Nice thumb-winder as well - that makes it a proper camera.. Picked up mine a couple of weeks ago, new batteries and a test roll of C200 and it's a keeper.

Otherwise, absolutely any £5 full-auto compact. There is a very nice red Konica job that I've seen turn up in a few places, although usually priced a little higher than the run of the mill Halinas, Ixus, etc.

Personally, I'd get an older waterproof/shockproof digital camera...

Well as a film user I hate to admit I'd agree with that...8 years old is a bit young messing around loading film etc ...IIRC I didn't start loading box brownies etc till I was about 10 or 11 years old.

I don't know, there are definitely advantages to each. If they sit down for an afternoon and teach them how to load film, the basics of how it works and go out for a bit to take a few pictures together then i think it's more likely to be 'special' to them than if he just gives them an old digital compact and calls it a day. But on the flip side, they do have to pay for film and developing. Which isn't much, but it really depends on if they take a picture of everything they see or if they barely use it (lets be honest, it's likely to be one of those extremes :p). And again i think it would be more likely to be the latter if they taught them the value of film.

I don't know, there are definitely advantages to each. If they sit down for an afternoon and teach them how to load film, the basics of how it works and go out for a bit to take a few pictures together then i think it's more likely to be 'special' to them than if he just gives them an old digital compact and calls it a day. But on the flip side, they do have to pay for film and developing. Which isn't much, but it really depends on if they take a picture of everything they see or if they barely use it (lets be honest, it's likely to be one of those extremes :p). And again i think it would be more likely to be the latter if they taught them the value of film.

I tried to get my grandson of nine years old interested in taking shots with a OM10 film camera and he wasn't interested :crying: , funny tho' my grand daughter at five likes taking shots with a digital camera (I suppose cos she sees the results straight away) :cool: erm but she used my Sony P92 once and dropped it and it's never worked properly since. :shake:

It's this sort of situation that the old Halina 110 cameras were perfect for, pretty much bullet proof and the easiest film cartridge to load. I can't be the only person who had one of these as their first camera at around 10yrs old (y)

It's a shame that there are no genuinely cheap to buy and run Polaroid/Instax options, my nephews (7-ish and 10-ish) think instant film must be some sort of magic, probably due to the ritual aspect of using it :)

Well i just wrote them a massive wall of text. Makes me wonder if i'm actually just thinking about what i want to do when my nephew comes of age :D

My 9 year old Grandson has had my old Fuji S602 for well over a year and has taken some lovely images with it. He has looked after it well and started using the video function all on his own (I have no interest in video). It would depend on the youngster how well they look after something I suppose.

I think it can be a risky thing to start pushing (and it is pushing) film on youngsters - with the availability of film and digital, I think film should be something that they should want to express an interest in themselves rather than anything else. Sure, we all advocate using film and we'd help anyone who would be interested (we get many threads like that in F&C, which we have all replied to at some stage).

But as a my first camera, for someone who has never done photography before and probably (I could be proven wrong!) has no interest in the intricacies of it, I think a sturdy digital camera is genuinely the best bet. Additionally, the overheads of running it would be significantly lower in terms of consumables.

I see what you're saying, but there are plenty of film cameras that are a lot easier to use than your average digital compact. Plus there may be running costs, but for the type of cameras we're talking about the startup costs are far lower.

Regardless, i did have a *cough* paragraph in there about them being the one that knows the child and what they're more likely to enjoy.

I was using an Oly trip at 8 :)

Oh, I so wish I had been able to have an interest in Photography at such a young age unfortunately I was from a single parent family (my father decided the grass was greener elsewhere) and there was no spare money for anything as seemingly extravagant as photography, part of the reason I so like my toys now I suppose.

The first time I think I ever held a camera was when I was at college studying electronics when I was about 20. Part of the course was the use of Photography in Industry and we had to visit the local college of Art & Design for a 4 hour period every week. I soon began to relish the photography period and my long love of Photography blossomed from that time although there have been the odd spates of 'falling out' but I have always come back stronger and with more passion than before.

Each period of dissatifaction with photography has always been followed with a greater passion and more knowledge, I have learnt more in the last week about how to process and treat my negatives than I have known in the last 30 years, and this in a 'digital age' see thread here for details.

So onward and older, but I am going to make sure that my grandchildren have the option to really get involved in photography from an early age.

OK to get this thread back on track :D here are my new toys. A Yashica FX-2 which I may have posted earlier and a Yashica FR with a Yashica 35-105mm ML f3.5-4.5 which cost £20 for the pair and both are in very nice nick.

Yashica by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Cheers

Andy

Every cloud has a silver lining....

Now that I am sending the faulty 35 - 70mm mini beercan back to Rocky Cameras for my £20 back, I've now got an actual Minolta 70 - 210mm f4 beercan! And for the low sum of £76!!

I've always wanted one to give me a long end on my Minolta AF cameras and now I've got one!!!

I'll post some pictures when I get it in the post.

Just because I had a decentish camera at 8, didn't mean I knew how to use it properly! I didn't come to photography properly until I met my now ex wife Lexie and her father, they kicked me off on it again and here I am, with 7 film cameras in tow! :LOL:

that tripod looks seriously cool ! but I wouldn't want to carry such around.

my new acquisition -
+ the now kNight rider minolta x700 beta version.
6847331479_f45b84c034_z.jpg

being impulsive I ruined half a Velvia50 roll just to learn how it operates and counts the shots :D rather than read the instructions etc.

The centre manager at work has given me her old Sigma SA300 with a couple of lenses. Gotta get a battery for it, and I object to paying maplin £7 when I can get it for £4 if I wait a few days.

Oops, seems I've bought another knackered Pentax! (I only bought it on the vague off chance amystery lens in the picture was a 100mm f2.8, but it was a 135mm f3.5)

Oh well, I'll get it serviced and carbon it up I think and get rid of the rest of the gear that came with it.

P1000572.jpg

Is that your first MX? My one is sitting directly in front of the monitor at the moment, it's a bit weird as your picture is about twice life size!

2nd, I had one before that was a also a bit ropey, until the meter went and I sold it. This ones in wirse shape again! Looks like it's been sat unloved for a very long time the poor thing.

They are pretty hardy things though, I reckon they could take a fair amount of abuse and still be perfectly okay.

I've not got a new toy as such, but I have got some new chemicals to play with (y)

Prescysol 'EF' with some Alkali Stop & Alkali Fix. Couple of 120 films in the tank (just awaiting the chemicals to come up to temperature), an FP4+ and a Tri-X as the developer is supposed to work the same for any film and I have deliberately exposed one of each to try theclaims out.

Back