OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Looks Nice Carl - you can join in the Rollie Vs Minolta Vs Yashica comp later this year! :D
Que?
I've always admired the Autocords but I've never owned one. Various Rolleis and Yashicas; Semflex and Flexaret and even a Seagull 4A but never the Autocord.

I've an Autocord, and it's a very nice camera. IIRC it has one unique characteristic, that the film is straight from the spool to the image plane, so you can wind on without getting kinks in your image... or something like that (why you don't get kinks in the image just taken, I don't know!).

Que?

I've an Autocord, and it's a very nice camera. IIRC it has one unique characteristic, that the film is straight from the spool to the image plane, so you can wind on without getting kinks in your image... or something like that (why you don't get kinks in the image just taken, I don't know!).

Chris...........are you sure you are not getting confused?

Should it not be you can take 'kinky images' with the others! :eek:

Looks Nice Carl - you can join in the Rollie Vs Minolta Vs Yashica comp later this year! :D

I must have missed this, there's a TLR challenge coming up?? Sounds cool!

I've always admired the Autocords but I've never owned one. Various Rolleis and Yashicas; Semflex and Flexaret and even a Seagull 4A but never the Autocord.

I had a Rolleicord once, for about two days. I bought it off eBay and it was missing a focussing screen and mirror, so it went back!

There's an Autocord on West Yorkshire Cameras if you're interested ;)

Chris...........are you sure you are not getting confused?

Should it not be you can take 'kinky images' with the others! :eek:

I'm always confused... particularly about the second sentence, Fraser! :)

h'mm they must all be asleep on the bay as I was the only bidder for a Canon FDN 300mm f5.6 lens for £13.50 inc postage. I'll have another go at shooting the moon but missed the full moon which was on 19th April and started at 12:12 and was supposed to be pink...ok I fell asleep even if I already had the lens. :rolleyes:

h'mm they must all be asleep on the bay as I was the only bidder for a Canon FDN 300mm f5.6 lens for £13.50 inc postage. I'll have another go at shooting the moon but missed the full moon which was on 19th April and started at 12:12 and was supposed to be pink...ok I fell asleep even if I already had the lens. :rolleyes:

The full moon is not the best to shoot anyway - it's much better when it's at a partial phase as the light is then hitting it at a shallower angle from our point of view which casts the craters and other features into much starker relief.

The full moon is not the best to shoot anyway - it's much better when it's at a partial phase as the light is then hitting it at a shallower angle from our point of view which casts the craters and other features into much starker relief.

Well whether taking shots of the moon (or fireworks) I know I'm wasting my time as it would be a complete fluke if I could even get near shots seen on the net, but it's something to do.
But it's amazing how bright a full moon is and in the "show us yer film shots then" I took a shot and converted it to colour.

A bit of a spending spree today involving buy and sell (after several months of total abstinence!). I'll put some photos up if the deals go according to plan and one or both items arrive intact and as described (fingers crossed!). I've been after both the camera body and the lens for a while now, so it had to be done because life is not a rehearsal!

Anyway, let's hope fate and the planets have aligned to bring me luck... not that either purchase was a 'steal', but I'll be happy enough if they're both in as good a condition as the well-known dealers described them. :)

When you see the early posts of this thread there are a lot of names that have disappeared from T&C :rolleyes:

Last edited:
When you see the early posts of this thread there are a lot of names that have disappeared from T&C :rolleyes:

the thread HAS been running for coming up on 9 years Brian...

(ETA: the slightly worrying part is that I've spent over a decade in here...)

Last edited:
A bit of a spending spree today involving buy and sell (after several months of total abstinence!). I'll put some photos up if the deals go according to plan and one or both items arrive intact and as described (fingers crossed!). I've been after both the camera body and the lens for a while now, so it had to be done because life is not a rehearsal!

M3
Mamiya 6
'blad 500C/M

Not even a hint of a clue?!

M3
Mamiya 6
'blad 500C/M

Not even a hint of a clue?!
None of the above. It's 35mm not MF, and that's all the clues your getting. :D Mind you, I was tempted by a Mamiya 645 J but I know I could find a nicer example for similar money, so I left bagging one of those until some time in the future. :whistle:

Last edited:
I now have a very nice French camera - a simpleish 35 mm viewfinder camera but with nice details. A FocaSport made by OPL. Currently has a test film in it, but it keeps raining so I have yet to take a single shot.OLY70003.jpegOLY70004.jpeg

Nipped up to Wakefield earlier today to see the photography exhibit at the Hepworth. The exhibit wasn't too bad and I came home with a little OM Zuiko 135mm f3.5 for the princely sum of £16.99. It all seems to be nice and clean.

Nipped up to Wakefield earlier today to see the photography exhibit at the Hepworth. The exhibit wasn't too bad and I came home with a little OM Zuiko 135mm f3.5 for the princely sum of £16.99. It all seems to be nice and clean.
Oyy, stop nicking our gear.
I was in twice today, once for my lugs lowering and once for posh restaurant lunch, at no point did I go sneakin about rifling through community camera stock...

shocking..

:D

Oyy, stop nicking our gear.
I was in twice today, once for my lugs lowering and once for posh restaurant lunch, at no point did I go sneakin about rifling through community camera stock...

shocking..

:D
This was pot luck. I tried a few charity shops but they all seemed to have sold out. Us big(ger) city types grace you lot with our presence and you rudely go and buy up all the bargains before we get the chance to... [emoji39]

My latest dose of over-indulgence arrived today from West Yorkshire Cameras.

30Va by J White, on Flickr

I've been after one of these for a while now but, as they weren't launched until April 2004, there weren't that many sold because digital camera sales had taken off by that time; so they're comparatively uncommon for a Canon 35mm SLR.

It's very similar to the older EOS 30 (including eye-controlled focus, which I love), but with the benefit of even faster focusing, the TTL II flash metering system and a nice blue backlight on the top LCD panel. This one also has the date-back option on it. The 30v also got a crinkle type matt paint finish, which is far more subtle in real life than it appears in the photo.

30Vb by J White, on Flickr

All seems to be working as it should so far, so a happy badger! :) Nice to have one of the last ever Canon film cameras in the collection too, which is about as advanced as an enthusiast grade film camera got before DSLRs took over.

Last edited:
Looks in really good nick, Mr B, but lookie all those buttons and thingies on the back, pretty much one of those digicams, not a proper film camera at all, at all! :D:D:D

I've been after one of these for a while now but, because they weren't launched until April 2004, there weren't that many sold because digital camera sales had taken off by that time; so they're comparatively uncommon for a Canon 35mm SLR.

It's very similar to the older EOS 30 (including eye-controlled focus, which I love), but with the benefit of even faster focusing, the TTL II flash metering system and a nice blue backlight on the top LCD panel This one also has the date-back option on it. The 30v also got a crinkle type matt paint finish, which is far more subtle in real life than it appears in the photo.

All seems to be working as it should so far, so a happy badger! :) Nice to have one of the last ever Canon film cameras in the collection too, which is about as advanced as an enthusiast grade film camera got before DSLRs took over.

Have to have a day out shooting soon with all this new gear :)

Looks lovely @Mr Badger

Looks in really good nick, Mr B, but lookie all those buttons and thingies on the back, pretty much one of those digicams, not a proper film camera at all, at all! :D:D:D

Yeah, it even has a screen where you can view the photos. Admittedly they're all still inside a yellow container, but that's close enough. :D

I think a lot of them are probably in good nick because they often saw very little use due to d***tal cameras taking over.

As for the modern look... whilst I really enjoy taking photos with classic-looking cameras from the turn of the 20th century (right through to those from the 50's, 60s, 70s and 80s) I don't see any difference between doing that and enjoying using one of the last of the genera, complete with more technologically advanced features than the first decade of DSLRs ever had (ref. Canon EOS-3 with 45 eye-selectable focus points: it took until the EOS 5D III in 2012 before a prosumer Canon DSLR got that many focus points again, and you still can't select a focus point on a modern DSLR [or mirrorless equivalent] just by looking at it!).

Also, I know it can be fun when somebody sees that you're using an old film camera and comes over for a chat; but sometimes it can be pretty inconvenient if you are out to take some photos and the light is right but unlikely to last another 10 mins! As the EOS-3, 30 and 30v were so advanced in their design, they still look 'modern', so I can carry on quietly (in fact, very quietly with the 30 and 30v) taking photos while the person next to me is busy exchanging pleasantries with someone about film cameras so as not to appear rude! I can choose to join in the conversation if I feel like it/time allows, or ignore the distraction under the cover of a DSLR look-alike. :D ;)

Now what's not to like about that? Particularly if I have an Ensign 16-20 or Voigtlander Perkeo in my coat pocket in case I feel the need to publicly advertise my affinity for film photography! In the meantime, I'm free from distraction from film camera groupies! :giggle:

Last edited:
Looks in great condition, and having got one last year myself, I can confirm it's a pleasure to use.

The one I got also happened to have a date back, but I can't ever see me using it - I don't see the point in imprinting the date/time over the photos one is taking?

I like using an old Pentax MX for some film shots, but the EOS30V is great for me as a Canon digital user, because it is compatible with the lenses (and also the 580EXII flashes), and it feels similar in the hand to the 5Dmk3.

Have fun with it.

... I don't see the point in imprinting the date/time over the photos one is taking?...

Maybe not much sense now, for sure you remember all the pictures you have made so far, but think about in 10, 20 or 30 years from now. At my parents house there is a big box full of printed photos, negs and dias, and my parents no longer remember the dates of most of them, unless the dates were written in the envelop, that info is now lost, except on some of them were the date was imprinted by the camera or the lab. For artistic purposes makes no sense, but for family/friend events or on a tourist trip, I find it useful.

For me the problem is when the date is imprinted in the middle of the frame or on some annoying position.

I've been after one of these for a while now but, as they weren't launched until April 2004, there weren't that many sold because digital camera sales had taken off by that time; so they're comparatively uncommon for a Canon 35mm SLR.

It's very similar to the older EOS 30 (including eye-controlled focus, which I love), but with the benefit of even faster focusing, the TTL II flash metering system and a nice blue backlight on the top LCD panel. This one also has the date-back option on it. The 30v also got a crinkle type matt paint finish, which is far more subtle in real life than it appears in the photo.

h'mm thought I might like to play with one.....but the 30v ain't cheap on the bay...oh well maybe the bootie will have one o_O

h'mm thought I might like to play with one.....but the 30v ain't cheap on the bay...oh well maybe the bootie will have one o_O
I think the EOS 30 is an excellent camera too, you probably won't notice the difference between that and the 30v in most situations and they can be found for between £30 and £80 (body only) for a nice one in full working order, depending how the bids go. The 30V tends to go for around the £100 to £150 mark at the moment, probably mainly due to its comparative scarcity and its appeal to collectors who want a 'last of an era' type camera to complete their set.

Watch out for the EOS 33 and the 33V (or overseas versions, which were named the Elan 7 or 7n), as these don't have the eye controlled focus feature (look for the eye shaped logo on the lower front right of the body), so tend to be around 25% or so cheaper. ECF works well for me and I find it very handy, but if it doesn't work for you (which it might not if you wear glasses) then you can easily switch it off. I'd rather have a good 'selling' feature on a camera and not use it, than go for the base model that has less desirability (and value). Hope this is useful and happy hunting!

Maybe not much sense now, for sure you remember all the pictures you have made so far, but think about in 10, 20 or 30 years from now. At my parents house there is a big box full of printed photos, negs and dias, and my parents no longer remember the dates of most of them, unless the dates were written in the envelop, that info is now lost, except on some of them were the date was imprinted by the camera or the lab. For artistic purposes makes no sense, but for family/friend events or on a tourist trip, I find it useful.

For me the problem is when the date is imprinted in the middle of the frame or on some annoying position.

We had an Olympus Stylus which was actually a US version of the mju 1, which had a date facility that I couldn't work out how to switch off, and which was 15 years and a few months out. There's an annoying story about that purchase that I won't bore you with, but suffice to say, don't buy cameras in 42nd St NYC!

This 2A Brownie arrived today. I've got a conversion kit, with instructions, so that the camera can use 120 film and produce panoramic pictures. I'll give it a whirl this weekend.

There was an exposed 116 format film in the camera, Kodak Verichrome Pan, might be as little as 60 years old or, perhaps, only 20 odd years old. What's the chance of getting this film processed? It obviously won't fit in a 120 size spiral for home processing.

Shame about the demise of this film format. Imagine a professional camera which used it to produce those big negatives, which could be contact printer postcard size, and even blown up to some huge size.IMG_9477.jpg.

Stand develop in 100:1 Rodinal for an hour should see something from the roll if it hasn't been opened in the intervening years.

Here's the second part of my over-indulgence session; it's a lightly used Sigma 100 400 contemporary zoom that I bought from MPB.

IMG_0002 by J White, on Flickr

I've wanted a lens with a bit more reach than my old 70 300 EF IS Canon zoom for a while now. Fingers crossed that it will work fully with my old EOS film cameras; a quick test with the 30, 30v and EOS-3 indicates that the lens appears to focus OK and is making all the usual noises when the OS (image stabilisation) system is switched on. The Sigma instruction leaflet recons the OS system will only work on the Canon EOS 1v film camera, but I'm hoping it's just a case of them not testing it on any of the enthusiast grade models of a similar age (EOS 3, 30 and 30v). I've taken a couple of test shots so will keep you posted.

Last edited:
I cannot see why the OS should not work - it is entirely in-lens and if it works with an old film camera (EOS 1v) I would think it would work with them all. But, as you say, they will not have bothered testing with all old film cameras. Would be good to know how it works - assuming you can tell that it is working ok.

I now have a nice, but not easily usable Kiev 30 sub-miniature camera. It is a Kiev 30 and takes 16mm film. I am very impressed with the manufacturing standard - it is a superbly made little camera.

OLY50002.jpegOLY50003.jpegOLY50008.jpeg

I recently bought this Yashica FX-70 and Optomax 300mm f5.6 lens for £20. The lens is in great condition and as a set are surprisingly light. The camera has no issues other than Yashica's usual downfall, the covers.

I also got this Yashica ML 50mm f2 lens and NEX adapter for £26. I have the DSB version already but I have several Yashica and Contax bodies.

As well as these I bought this Konica FS1 with 40mm f1.8, 135mm F3.5 and Soligor 28-80mm Macro lens for £24. The camera works but the lenses are all fungal.

It's a shame as I have seen it mentioned that the 40mm f1.8 was described as the sharpest lens for a 35mm camera. The 40mm is the least affected of all of the lenses so it might be worth trying it on an adapter.
IMG_20190506_184009.jpgIMG_20190510_220056.jpgIMG_20190510_220545.jpg

The 40mm lens is a very good lens (as most Hexanons are) and being the sharpest (at the time) lens in the world probably started from one source and Parrots.

Just picked up a little Nikon EM for £20 quid off eBay. Arrived today in really good condition. Change of seals and ready to trying out over the weekend.

Just need to find an E series 50mm lens now to keep it a small, lightweight package. IMG_20190510_111724_568.jpg

Back