OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

My GAS is not abating - a brand new camera this time - a Fujifilm Nexia Q1. It is a APS camera and might be new (it was still in its sealed box) but it was not made so recently). It seems to have been made about 15 years or so ago. A very simple camera with one control - the shutter release.
_MG_0167.JPG_MG_0168.JPG

Check the forecast before you load it, as round here they've given Sunday as not being quite as sunny, and it would be a shame to use it if it's going to be a bit on the duller side. (y)

Well I always go by visibility as well, I seen some sunny days when e.g. I've abandoned a shot of a church (from about 200-300 yards away) when it was murky and not clear.
Well for my area for the next week the visibility is only going to be good :(

I took my Auto S3 out today to shoot a roll of XP2 at an Armed Forces day event. When I was unloading the camera I noticed that I'd forgotten to set the ISO to 400 and it was still on 100. [emoji2357]

I took my Auto S3 out today to shoot a roll of XP2 at an Armed Forces day event. When I was unloading the camera I noticed that I'd forgotten to set the ISO to 400 and it was still on 100. [emoji2357]
One man's thoughts on the matter https://theonlinephotographer.typep...er/2012/10/how-to-shoot-ilford-xp2-super.html

o here's how to shoot XP2 Super, according to me. It's simple. This yields the highest percentage of results of the best quality—I don't care a whit for "make do" solutions that yield only acceptable results. Using camera metering:

• For regular shooting in most normal lighting, use EI (ISO) 200.

• For shooting in extremely bright and/or contrasty lighting, like harsh full sun and shadows, use EI (ISO) 100. This insures adequate shadow detail, and the highlights won't block up.

• For shooting in low and low-contrast lighting—and this includes indoor shooting and "available darkness"—use EI (ISO) 400—or even a little higher, although I personally don't recommend ever going all the way to (gasp) 800.

One man's thoughts on the matter https://theonlinephotographer.typep...er/2012/10/how-to-shoot-ilford-xp2-super.html

o here's how to shoot XP2 Super, according to me. It's simple. This yields the highest percentage of results of the best quality—I don't care a whit for "make do" solutions that yield only acceptable results. Using camera metering:

• For regular shooting in most normal lighting, use EI (ISO) 200.

• For shooting in extremely bright and/or contrasty lighting, like harsh full sun and shadows, use EI (ISO) 100. This insures adequate shadow detail, and the highlights won't block up.

• For shooting in low and low-contrast lighting—and this includes indoor shooting and "available darkness"—use EI (ISO) 400—or even a little higher, although I personally don't recommend ever going all the way to (gasp) 800.
Well it was very sunny yesterday maybe it'll be okay, cheers.

Well the F4 has arrived and first looks it is in exc condition.....no bill yet from royal fail or customs, does this come later? I would have thought you would have to pay before getting the item..h'mm very trusting as I could do a runner o_O

Well the F4 has arrived and first looks it is in exc condition.....no bill yet from royal fail or customs, does this come later? I would have thought you would have to pay before getting the item..h'mm very trusting as I could do a runner o_O
Usually you get a card through the door telling you to come down to the sorting office to pay the ransom taxes and only get your parcel once payment has been received. Sounds like you got lucky, Brian.

Long time back when I was importing various bits from Japan, the manager of my local Parcel Farce office claimed that parcels were unloaded at the airport into one of two trolleys. One of those is taken to Customs for evaluation, the other goes straight through to the handlers to take on for delivery. Funnily enough, none of my parcels ever fell into the latter. :confused:

It would appear you got away with the extra charges,well done.

Well stupid Nikon...... you can't see if the shutter is working on the F4 with the back open, so definitely have to use a film for at least that.
So if customs don't chase me up then total cost for two Nikon bodies (one working) is £150.......£20 was wasted by the rip off firm?? who said "cost of repair would be £90" got hooked sent the camera off, they then replied it's £180 well the camera is mint and not owned by some ex pro . :shifty::shifty:

Not really a new toy by itself but, combined with a small modification and my Yashica 635, I’ve now got a selection of Instax Mini/Glass plate holders to use with it :0). The back/holders/ground glass are built for a Rolleiflex but the Yashica is an almost exact match for size and shape so it fits with only a small modification to push down the Yashica’s 35mm winding pin;

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

Just need to find an hour to build a simple Instax processing unit to use in a dark bag and I can shoot some Instant photos with the 635.

Last edited:
...no bill yet from royal fail or customs, does this come later?
Sounds like you got lucky, Brian.
It would appear you got away with the extra charges,well done.

Don't be elebrating too soon Bri with the money that you may have saved on taxes etc.

I've bought lots of gear from japan and the usa ( not just photographic gear) and had a mix of either having to pay the transporter prior to receiving the goods or receiving the parcel then beng billed at a later date, sometimes a week or too later but on one occasion it was nearly 6 months later ….I had actually though that I had got off with paying that one!

Don't be elebrating too soon Bri with the money that you may have saved on taxes etc.

I've bought lots of gear from japan and the usa ( not just photographic gear) and had a mix of either having to pay the transporter prior to receiving the goods or receiving the parcel then beng billed at a later date, sometimes a week or too later but on one occasion it was nearly 6 months later ….I had actually though that I had got off with paying that one!

o_O:( Anyway it hasn't cost me anything as I was spending £30 per month on pipe tobacco, but gave up 5 months ago (y)

o_O:( Anyway it hasn't cost me anything as I was spending £30 per month on pipe tobacco, but gave up 5 months ago (y)
Man logic in action :LOL: I use it all the time :D

I packed in smoking 22 years ago, so that's paid for my whole collection. Some of my cameras actually cos half of what a packet of cigarettes does now. [emoji848]

Last edited:
I packed in smoking 22 years ago, so that's paid for my whole collection. Some of my cameras actually cos half of what a packet of cigarettes does now. [emoji848]
Mind you they would've cost me a lot more 22 years ago. Some of them would've been brand new.

After looking on ffordes and WYCameras on and off for the last 6 months I've finally bagged an AD701 panoramic 35mm kit thingy for the Mamiya. This way if 120 film does disappear I can still use it. Plus it's far, far, far cheaper than a Hasselblad Xpan. :banana:

It's absolutely mint and I'd swear it's never been used.

Last edited:
Not really a new toy by itself but, combined with a small modification and my Yashica 635, I’ve now got a selection of Instax Mini/Glass plate holders to use with it :0). The back/holders/ground glass are built for a Rolleiflex but the Yashica is an almost exact match for size and shape so it fits with only a small modification to push down the Yashica’s 35mm winding pin;

View attachment 249387

View attachment 249388

View attachment 249389

Just need to find an hour to build a simple Instax processing unit to use in a dark bag and I can shoot some Instant photos with the 635.
That is bloody brilliant Steve, love the idea :clap::clap::clap:

I have a Konica Autoreflex T4 and a Konica Hexanon AR 40mm f1.8 pancake lens on the way from different sellers on eBay. The camera cost £30, the lens £40. They should be here by Friday so hopefully I can put a roll of film through it on Saturday.

This is a completely off-topic post coming up, but I'm doing it to catch the attention of anyone who lusts after an Xpan and has a very large sum of money to spare. A full Xpan 11 kit has been listed on Photorio with additional 30mm and 90mm lenses, and the seller is in England so no duties, taxes or whatever. Is it too late for tonight's lottery? ;)
https://www.photrio.com/forum/threa...d-90-lenses-with-original-accessories.168680/

Edit: let me know if this is inappropriate and I'll delete it.

Last edited:
Timeshare camera?

Given the cost of a reasonable MF or LF camera, a dozen of us should more than cover it. I have seen some very good work done with an X-Pan, the most memorable being a set of portraits. The snag of owning one is the cost. I once worked out how old I would be by the time the cost of film and processing exceeded the cost of buying a digital camera that would equal the results. I didn't buy... The same argument would seem to apply to the X-Pan, in that the width can be replicated by my RZ67, albeit with a loss of film area.

However, if enough people stepped in, I might be persuaded to join in.

Yes, undoubtedly. You'd take more care over each exposure knowing how much it was costing. And that's probably one of the best ways to become better.

£5250! Gulp.

That's more than twice as much as the most I've ever paid for a car!

To be fair, it's really the scarily expensive 30mm lens at £2400 that bumps the price up to the scary level. The standard Xpan 11 with 45mm lens at £2700 is in Mamiya 7 territory and reasonably high end digital, not to mention Ebony 5x4 prices. I hardly ever use the 135W back for my Bronica SQ, so I guess I'm not really a pano guy at the end of the day. I'll maybe stick with my most recent purchases the £20 Canon Z-135 and similarly priced Ensign Selfix 16-20 instead.:thinking:

Yes, undoubtedly. You'd take more care over each exposure knowing how much it was costing. And that's probably one of the best ways to become better.

Well if I (or anyone else) can't take great\winning photos with what I've (they have) got i.e. RB67, Etrs and twenty six 35mm cameras and decades of experience...........then only a digi would be better and only because I (they) could machine gun a subject and after ploughing through the thousands of shots, the probability is.......... there would be a winner. ;)

£5250! Gulp.

That's more than twice as much as the most I've ever paid for a car!

and nearly half my Annual income!!

but if one has the monet available and it's something that will offer pleasure then go for it.
We're only here once and any monies that we may have aint gunna go with us!!

and nearly half my Annual income!!

but if one has the monet available and it's something that will offer pleasure then go for it.

I'm not sure I'd sell the painting for a camera :):jaffa::jaffa:

Got myself a Pentax ES and personalised it as an homage...

Not David Bailey's Pentax
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Woohoo, nice! I had an Electro Spotmatic, the immediate predecessor to the ES. It was supposedly sold only in Japan, but I bought mine in Hong Kong. I'd decided against trading my Spottie for it, and was out of the store AND the arcade when the seller caught up with me and persuaded me to buy with an un-refusable price. Probably still ripped me off, no doubt.They now have a reputation for unreliability, apparently fixed in the ES, but mine worked fine for the few years until I replaced it with the Pentax ME I still have!

I bought this Prinzflex M-1 the other day, it's a Chinon M-1 rebadged for sale at Dixon's. It has an Auto Chinon 55mm f1.7 which the seller kept banging on about.

It came with a Velbon tripod and a National Hyper flash bulb gun. There is also an exposed, rewound roll of Agfacolor XRG 200 in it.

It was on a stall at Saltburn's Food Festival, there were bric a brac and craft stalls too. It was stood on the tripod with the flashgun on top, when I bought it I took it off the tripod and the seller said "oh is that how you do that?" I guess it's been on there as long as he's had it. [emoji38]IMG_20190731_203107.jpg

Back