OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

Today's foray into places I haven't visited before got me a Canon Sureshot A1 for £15 and a Canon FD 70-210/4 for £6 from a charity shop. I also bought an E.Echo Anastigmat 50/3.5 Enlarger lens for £10 from an antique shop.

The shop I got the Canon stuff from had a couple of Canon SLRs and a couple of Minoltas I already have. All AF ones, the Minolta 505si even had a lens for £11.99.

Anyone near Harrogate wanting a Minolta 505si, it's the British Heart Foundation shop it just says Books and Music on the sign outside. It's just down the road from the railway station.

Received an early Christmas present today…...

Big brother to the miniature 5x4 format outfits, a 10x8 Intrepid!

Yet to acquire a film holder and film but ready to go with one of my present lenses which will give me a "standard" fov on the larger sized negative.

It's possible that one of my wider angle lenses will also cover if stopped down.
Got it presently mounted on the camera and it looks promising.....Need to check tomorrow in daylight.

EDIT: THe 300mm looks to be fine with no vignetting and that's viewed at infinity wide open at F/9
As for the slightly wider 210mm, it's difficult to be sure tbh…..Possibly a little bit of darkness in the corners again wide open F/5.6 at infinity but if it is there then it is minimal. Obviously any movements are going to be very limited but without doubt I already possess some glass to get me started and best of all the 300mm is of course a "standard" focal length ( equivalent to 150mm on 5x4), and the fov that I tend to use the most!:)

Photos to follow..........

iPhone piccie:

10x8.jpg

Last edited:
Big brother to the miniature 5x4 format outfits, a 10x8 Intrepid!

Ah, you are aware that once you step up from miniature cameras to medium format, it's almost inevitable that you'll sooner or later make the next step up to large format? If I were you, I'd be waiting for the next Ilford ordering window to get some 20x16 film in...

Last edited:
Ah, you are aware that once you step up from miniature cameras to medium format, it's almost inevitable that you'll sooner or later make the next step up to large format? If I were you, I'd be waiting the for next Ilford ordering window to get some 20x16 film in...

Oh for gawds sake this togging lark is like treading on black ice ...One very slippery slope to which you keep adding more ice! :help:

Can I rely on you to source a suitable enlarger for 20 x 16 or do I need to start drawing up blue prints for building my own? :LOL:

Can I rely on you to source a suitable enlarger for 20 x 16 or do I need to start drawing up blue prints for building my own?

You already have the basics once you've got a camera. Due to the lack of suitable methods of illumination, early enlargers were in essence cameras with a negative holder where the film hold is, and blackout material attached all round and to the surrounds of the window, thereby using sunlight as the light source.

Make a negative holder (possibly from a converted film holder) and use your blackout material.

Finding paper of a suitable size to justify enlarging a 20x16 negative might actually be more difficult; but you can coat your own.

Job done.

Had a moment of weakness and got another random tat box from an auction.

I'm now the proud of owner of Praktica B200 Electronic 35mm SLR and some Kodak Folder thing that's massive. 1A I think it is. I assumed it would take 120 roll film but it looks like it takes some other format.

Anyone used a Praktica B200?

I'm now the proud of owner of Praktica B200 Electronic 35mm SLR and some Kodak Folder thing that's massive. 1A I think it is. I assumed it would take 120 roll film but it looks like it takes some other format.

Can’t help re pratika but the folder sounds like it may be 616 film which is of course discontinued but modifications can be made. There are other roll film formats that are larger... I had several cameras that used them but I cannot off hand recall the film numbers/ names.

It probably would. Too much effort for a lazy git like me though so I think it's going to be re-homed!
That was the size up from 120 and they've not made it since about 1986. I have a nice Agfa folding camera that takes that film and I've always wanted to try it, but I've never found a fresh source of 116 for it, and I'm damned if I'm paying silly prices for an 'old stock' lottery roll. I don't want to use 120 as I've plenty of 120 cameras, I just wanted the novelty of even bigger negatives... without going silly and buying into that single sheet squeezebox nonsense. ;) lazy? I prefer to think I'm just in touch with my feline side!

Last edited:

If the B200 is like the BX20 set it to B before loading film or changing the lens. The reason I got into collecting cameras was because I forgot this. I had got my BX20 out to shoot some film for the first time in a few years.

I put in a new battery loaded a film and when I put the lens on I heard a pop. When I checked the meter wasn't working. I remembered the Praktica's little quirk too late and switched it to B, which turns off the electronic meter. I changed the lens and turned it back to A and the meter worked ok.

Needing a replacement 50/1.8 I went on eBay and found a Canon EOS 650 and 5000 for 99p each and an EOS RT with a 35-105mm for £19 this set me on the path to 200+ cameras.

I fixed the lens, a wire inside just needed resoldering. There are only 3 in there.

Don’t have my hands on it yet but I’ve just successfully bid on a Bronica ETRSI. Should have it by the end of next week. First foray into medium format! Looking forward to trying out a waist level finder! Can anyone recommend some cheap B&W film in 120? Currently use Kentmere, but they only do that in 35mm. Fomapan looks like the cheapest but I’ve not used it before.

Don’t have my hands on it yet but I’ve just successfully bid on a Bronica ETRSI. Should have it by the end of next week. First foray into medium format! Looking forward to trying out a waist level finder! Can anyone recommend some cheap B&W film in 120? Currently use Kentmere, but they only do that in 35mm. Fomapan looks like the cheapest but I’ve not used it before.

Congrats on the win!

HP5 Plus.
Foma 100 is much cheaper as you say, but it doesn't have the flexibility. And for a pound a roll difference, I'd pick Ilford.

I've tried Fomapan 120 in 200 and 400 form and it is perfectly fine.

Congrats on the win!

HP5 Plus.
Foma 100 is much cheaper as you say, but it doesn't have the flexibility. And for a pound a roll difference, I'd pick Ilford.

Thanks! I think I just want to run a few rolls of dirt cheap film through it to get the hang of the camera - and loading the 120 onto the developing spool! When I’ve got the hang of the setup I’ll look to HP5 :)

Very nice,looks in great nic. You will enjoy that camera immensely.

Bit of a squee moment this morning when I had my offer accepted... Is it bad luck to post before it's arrived?

View attachment 261228

It's terrible bad luck, and the camera will never work properly for you. If you DM me I'll send you my address, and you can forward it to me; I promise not to tell anyone until it arrives!

Definitely interested in reading a report on it, BTW.

Definitely interested in reading a report on it, BTW.

Is there anything specific you were after Chris? It arrived yesterday.

Overall, I'd say it's a very nice camera. The downside for me though is the viewfinder. I'm left eye dominant and a glasses wearer which means I can't get my eye right up to the eyepiece (nose & specs get in the way). What this means is that the 40mm framelines are much harder to see as they take up almost all the viewfinder space and the meter dissappears from view occasionally which is annoying. Offering the camera to an un-spectacled right eye removes these problems completely. The M6 has 28mm framelines I think, which means the 50 framelines (which are what I use) are easily visible with specs, and I've never had a problem unseeing the meter.

Over an M6?
+ cheaper
+ bigger physical body feels more secure in the hand
+ 40mm framelines (but nothing wider)
+ meter gives you "stops" over and under allowing intentional exposure correction
+ 1/125 sync speed!

- viewfinder is not great for left eye dominant/spec wearers
- no 35 or 28mm framelines (I have an M6 so not a problem for me)
- shutter requires a very confident half-press to activate the meter. Haven't accidentally taken a shot yet, but it won't be long.

? - "Chunkier" feel to the shutter. More of a "chunk" sound vs the "click" of the M6

Sadly I think the negatives for me aren't enough for me to package it up for you! I'm sure I'll get over them in time :)

As a cheaper alternative to an M6 it's a very nice camera and if you're right eye dominant and don't wear specs and don't shoot wider than 40mm, it's a no brainer.

IMG_1220.jpg

Last edited:
Oops. I seem to have a collection of compact cameras. Have had serious lack of interest in taking photos so obviously more cameras is going to help isn't it?!

The Yashica film door won't shut which is a bit annoying. The Lomo one has a disintegrated light seal. It doesn't feel as cheap and nasty as other Lomo cameras I've picked up.

I basically bought the lot as I wanted the Minox GT as it's the proper version of the Voigtlander I have. It's definitely heavier and sturdier.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 26
Did an 'accrued value' calculation on my Acros stash a couple of weeks ago, and realised I had therefore scored two free lenses...

Nikon 75-150 E + 20mm.jpg

The 20mm f/2.8 Nikkor came first, followed by the (absolutely pristine) 75-150 f/3.5 Series E. They'll mate up with a 35-75 Nikkor and a 25-50 Tokina, which I've had for ages. They all have step-up rings to commonise the filter threads at 67mm.

Then I splurged and got a tidy F2 Photomic...

Nikon F2 Photomic.jpg

All seems to work, but was a bit grubby, so gave it a clean and added a strap. The 75-150 doesn't have rabbit ears so won't couple with the meter, but I can live with that for now. It has the type C focus screen (GG with clear spot and cross hair, but no focus aids), which I'm not keen on, but found a type K (split image and microprism) on eBay, which is incoming. I'll see how I get on with the DP-1 head - might upgrade to a DP-12 (for AI lenses, and has LEDs instead of match-needle) some time in the future. The alternative is to retrofit rabbit ears to the Series E lens if I decide to stick with the DP-1.

The alternative is to retrofit rabbit ears to the Series E lens if I decide to stick with the DP-1.

If you need to source rabbit ears, I obtained some from grays of Westminster a number of years back as I struggled to locate any other suppliers outside of the USA.

Alternatively pick up a knacked lens for spares and lob off its ears lol

I always thought the ears were quite a clunky way of doing things, particularly when compared with the Canon FD lens mount system, plus both old and new FD lens mounts would fit and work fully with all FD cameras.

If you need to source rabbit ears, I obtained some from grays of Westminster a number of years back as I struggled to locate any other suppliers outside of the USA.

That's handy to know. Any clues on how to order from them? They only seem to have online ordernig for new stuff.

Alternatively pick up a knacked lens for spares and lob off its ears lol

Been looking, but nothing tempting so far.

I always thought the ears were quite a clunky way of doing things, particularly when compared with the Canon FD lens mount system, plus both old and new FD lens mounts would fit and work fully with all FD cameras.

I agree it's a bit of a faff, although maybe not so much if you aren't changing lenses frequently. To be tried in anger hopefully this weekend. Aside from that, I had decided some time ago that Nikon was what I wanted for my 35mm SLR kit (already have an FM).

Some truly impressive man maths in action here!

It was a moment of inspiration when I discovered that Acros was being reissued. :) It can get complicated, though. I spent some of the accrued value on a couple of bulk rolls of short-dated Tri-X, which means the accrued value went up a bit more. And then there's all the other film in the freezer, not to mention various bits of kit bought a few years ago before the prices started creeping back up...

That's handy to know. Any clues on how to order from them? They only seem to have online ordernig for new stuff.

up...

I contacted them directly by telephone iirc , or perhaps email.....it’s quite some time ago

They were very helpful tbh

@Nomad Z
I can gift you some bunny ears if it would help. From what I have googled, the E series lenses have no provision to fit the ears. Looks like holes would need to be drilled and is very little space on the aperture ring to fit them.
However if you want to try it then let me know and I'll send you some ears.

@Nomad Z
I can gift you some bunny ears if it would help. From what I have googled, the E series lenses have no provision to fit the ears. Looks like holes would need to be drilled and is very little space on the aperture ring to fit them.
However if you want to try it then let me know and I'll send you some ears.

Thanks very much Des - much appreciated. I'm aware that it'll entail adding holes, and I'm pretty sure there is enough space. PM incoming.

Back