OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

About 5 plus years ago was buying compacts for 50p, at the bootie, as a joke to say to my wife " I thought you would like another camera".......Erm I should have bought every one I saw and now made a very good profit on Ebay. :rolleyes:

It was the same with old Jungle/Drum and Bass records. You could pick up collections and rarities very cheaply (less than £4 a record), with the rise in the popularity of vinyl again, and the ease of identifying tracks via the internet, the prices are obscene. Some things I purchased on the cheap are now worth 5 times what I paid.

Took my Nikon FE to Apeture to be repaired after I secured a partial refund from the eBay seller. They diagnosed that the meter resistor was blown and fixed it in 24 hours; they also redid all the seals and gave it a CLA. Superb job; slightly pricey as it is central London (£140 for all repairs), but they were very helpful and the job they have done is excellent.

Quickly ran a roll of Porta through it, so i'll hopefully have some images to post later.

Good to hear that you got sorted Nick, albiet at a cost!

Ironically, yesterday i received a LF lens described as excellent, no haze, no seperation, no fungus etc etc.

There is a spec of mold growth inside the front element:(

Contacted seller but won't receive a reply until next week as he's gone on holiday:banghead: ( with my money probably!:rolleyes:)

Well after a while of clearing out and selling stuff and some long, hard deliberation I have forked out for another EOS 1V. The last one I had I never put even a single roll through so I am just waiting for the lens to arrive (35mm F1.4L) and I will get some photos taken with it. Of course it doesn't have the charm of Leica to use or whatever but it's about delivering the goods. Gonna try dipping my toes back into some weddings and portraits, I think.

Good to hear that you got sorted Nick, albiet at a cost!

Ironically, yesterday i received a LF lens described as excellent, no haze, no seperation, no fungus etc etc.

There is a spec of mold growth inside the front element:(

Contacted seller but won't receive a reply until next week as he's gone on holiday:banghead: ( with my money probably!:rolleyes:)

Ah man, this is a blow to hear. The last few sales and purchases on evil bay have not been successful, I think I am going to stop using it tbh.

I am glad the camera has been fixed, the guy in the shop described it as a very clean copy. Just scanned the first few photos and it is vastly superior to the ME Super I had (which was hazy, knackered lenses).

Ah man, this is a blow to hear. The last few sales and purchases on evil bay have not been successful, I think I am going to stop using it tbh.

I am glad the camera has been fixed, the guy in the shop described it as a very clean copy. Just scanned the first few photos and it is vastly superior to the ME Super I had (which was hazy, knackered lenses).

I am also considering knock fleabay on the head.
Bear in mind that I'm talking about eBay France so the issues of items not being accuratly listed is widespread :(

At least you've come good with the FE.
I had one and have to admit I really did like the results it offered and the simplicity of its controls.

I am also considering knock fleabay on the head.

..but surely the advantage of Ebay is you get your money back if not as described...e.g. I was sent a back wheel for my motor bike and the seller didn't do his homework saying "it would fit all models (of my my bike) from 1987 onward, well Honda changed the wheel slightly in 1998 . So got free postage back to the seller with money back.

Just AAMOI Some members might have remembered my moans about 12 spokes breaking on my wheel last year, well I'd given up on getting a wheel from Ebay so found someone local who respoked the whole wheel for £70 a few weeks ago. (y)

..but surely the advantage of Ebay is you get your money back if not as described...e.g. I was sent a back wheel for my motor bike and the seller didn't do his homework saying "it would fit all models (of my my bike) from 1987 onward, well Honda changed the wheel slightly in 1998 . So got free postage back to the seller with money back.

Just AAMOI Some members might have remembered my moans about 12 spokes breaking on my wheel last year, well I'd given up on getting a wheel from Ebay so found someone local who respoked the whole wheel for £70 a few weeks ago. (y)

You’re point is valid Bri but tbh it becomes somewhat tiresome searching for an item that arrives faulty and then involves the run around of contacting seller, returning item, waiting for refund and then searching elsewhere for a replacement.
Similarly from the other side, being a seller is also becoming very frustrating with an increasing number of non paying bidders!

I got bored trying to find a 12v spot for the shed so I made one.

full

Its a mr16 led in some plumbing with a cold shoe screw in.

Brilliant, make me one please....:D

I say the same and have decided I’m lying to myself. That looks lovely! I have a lens arriving tomorrow for a body that cane last week. Eek.

Yeah, same here. If I see something nice and within budget, I'm likely to find it hard to resist. I do think that I'll keep moving stuff on that doesn't get used often though - I don't like the thought of cameras sitting on a shelf unused - I'd rather they go to someone who'll put film through them.

But yeah, the Minolta is in lovely condition. I've replaced the light-seals today and will hopefully get a roll of something or other loaded up shortly. Just need to compare the meter readings with another camera so I can compensate - it uses 625 mercury cells so the meter will be out with my modern replacement battery.

Yeah, same here. If I see something nice and within budget, I'm likely to find it hard to resist. I do think that I'll keep moving stuff on that doesn't get used often though - I don't like the thought of cameras sitting on a shelf unused - I'd rather they go to someone who'll put film through them.

But yeah, the Minolta is in lovely condition. I've replaced the light-seals today and will hopefully get a roll of something or other loaded up shortly. Just need to compare the meter readings with another camera so I can compensate - it uses 625 mercury cells so the meter will be out with my modern replacement battery.

Well I bought my SRT101b ages ago when they were throwing them away, but owning the Minolta's X-300, X-700, XD11 ...can't find a use for it o_O
At least with the manual Pentax S3 and Spotmatic I can use them occasionally for screw lenses...saves using the other later cameras (or SRT101b) with an M42 adapter..

Exactly. When they sit there unused it just feels like a waste. I had a clear out recently but can’t seem to part with some of my favourites and I regret selling the 35Ti but can’t get back into one as cheaply.
the 35L should arrive today to pair with the EOS 1V that arrived last week. I didn’t put a roll through the last one I owned so looking forward to giving it a go, possibly with some new Ektachrome. If I don’t enjoy it, I’ll move it on.

Following my disappointment and frustration at a lens that I purchased a week or so back which turned out to have a fungus issue ( on its return journey to seller for refund atm) , I was hesitant at the arrival of this Schneider convertible 240/420mm F/5.6 F/12
It is however in excellent condition with a beautifully smooth Linhoff compur #2 shutter......I have a lensboard presently being cut to accept the lens!
It has loads of 4x5 coverage and will cover 10x8 albiet with limited movements.
One thing to bear in mind with these lenses is in converted mode the bellows draw exceeds the actual focal length as the nodal point is located much closer to the film plane . In effect the 420mm length requires nearer to 480mm bellows extension which is almost the limit of the intrepid 10x8 (520mm max)
I’m looking forward to trying it out.

IMG_0384.JPG

Turns out I was asking the wrong question when I was looking for my 12v spot, what I wanted was a par 16 body with a Mr16 fitting 12v and barn doors I've not had to make out of cardboard.

Attachments

• IMG_20200213_195706.jpg
    IMG_20200213_195706.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 20
Turns out I was asking the wrong question when I was looking for my 12v spot, what I wanted was a par 16 body with a Mr16 fitting 12v and barn doors I've not had to make out of cardboard.

Be careful now Steveo.......
That appliance could be used by your good lady for interrogation purposes when she notices bank balance discrepancies due to your GAS [emoji23]

Be careful now Steveo.......
That appliance could be used by your good lady for interrogation purposes when she notices bank balance discrepancies due to your GAS [emoji23]

ve haf vays of making you talk

I won't buy any more cameras.

Heh. I did this, then saw a Sureshot Ace come up on my eBay "saved searches" results for cheap cameras close to ending, thought of what you'd said about it, and.... Kerching!
Then I got the email from AW about 126 inserts from Camerhack and realised I could buy and use my first ever camera, the Instamatic 77x.... Kerching!
Then I went on eBay to source abovementioned Instamatic and because I'm too cheap to BIN for a tenner, I put a 99p bid on one. While I was waiting I found an Instamatic 500 which is a fully manual "Instamatic" with a Schneider-Kreuznach 38mm f2.8 copal shutter lens for a very acceptable price.... Yep... Kerching!

I won't buy any more cameras

It's a good job @steveo_mcg is so busy...

Heh. I did this, then saw a Sureshot Ace come up on my eBay "saved searches" results for cheap cameras close to ending, thought of what you'd said about it, and.... Kerching!
Then I got the email from AW about 126 inserts from Camerhack and realised I could buy and use my first ever camera, the Instamatic 77x.... Kerching!
Then I went on eBay to source abovementioned Instamatic and because I'm too cheap to BIN for a tenner, I put a 99p bid on one. While I was waiting I found an Instamatic 500 which is a fully manual "Instamatic" with a Schneider-Kreuznach 38mm f2.8 copal shutter lens for a very acceptable price.... Yep... Kerching!

It's a good job @steveo_mcg is so busy...

Although I’ve only shot one roll through it, I’m pretty happy with my Sure Shot Ace. The waist-level finder is a very nice feature and has already given me some street shots that I don’t think I would have taken otherwise. I’m looking forward to using it more creatively too - placing the camera on the floor or other surfaces where a standard viewfinder would be difficult or impossible to use. I’ll probably only use it for street on bright days though - the total lack of control over the flash makes me nervous about accidentally going all Bruce Gilden and blasting the bulb in someone’s unsuspecting face. :D

Blimey, that's a significant amount of glass.

Goodness knows what I'm going to do with them all... but it seemed like a bargain at the time, until I saw how much room they all took up :LOL::LOL:

Glued together like in the pic, they’d make a novel doorstop! [emoji23]

Goodness knows what I'm going to do with them all... but it seemed like a bargain at the time, until I saw how much room they all took up :LOL::LOL:

Well you can sort out the good ones and put the rest on ebay (y)

It arrived!

Shutter seems to be working. Aperture too. Lightmeter is a bit buzzywark, but it's a dinky tiny little thing. Even has a focus scale!

Loading the Camerhack 126 cart was "tricky" and I was glad I had a long video on. Anyone else using that thing - they advise 24 max exposures. I'm thinking I'll probably spool off 12 at a time because there's no way to see how many you've taken. I may end up taping a matchstick to the "supply" spool so that I get the resistance when the film is done.

IMG_1271.jpg

Bagged this today from a charity shop for the princely sum of £9.50. If it works (it looks in good order and has a nice clear lens and viewfinder) then it should provide a bit of instant fun next time there's a local F&C meet up. :)

View attachment 268780

Well, it works! :) Unfortunately, the weather's been dull whenever I've had a bit of time to take some photos with the thing, and SX-70 film likes plenty of light. I think I've got the exposure setting about right now, but at £2 per photo it's been an expensive set-up procedure!

Here's one from the test batch, it's over-exposed but it shows the new film still seems to have the same rather primitive, retro, pastel-coloured look of the original, which I'll enjoy trying to use to compliment the subject. I'm looking forward to some sunny weather coinciding with a bit of spare time so I can try the camera out properly.

Last edited:
Well, it works! :) Unfortunately, the weather's been dull whenever I've had a bit of time to take some photos with the thing, and SX-70 film likes plenty of light. I think I've got the exposure setting about right now, but at £2 per photo it's been an expensive set-up procedure!

Here's one from the test batch, it's over-exposed but it shows the new film still seems to have the same rather primitive, retro, pastel-coloured look of the original, which I'll enjoy trying to use to compliment the subject. I'm looking forward to some sunny weather coinciding with a bit of spare time so I can try the camera out properly.

Don't forget to buy some magnets so you can afix your results all over the fridge. :)

We used SX70 cameras/film at work in the 80s and your shot would have been typical of the results we got. As the Polaroid factory was in nearby Dumbarton, a rep was invited to our annual conference to show us how to improve on the results, whereupon he took a number of photos in the room and all had great colour. He then explained that the film had to be warm in order to get the correct colours, and that we should carry the filmpack in our inside jacket pocket to warm it up before use. As we normally carried the cameras in the car boot, we were destined for poor results for a good part of the year until we found this out. I can't speak for the new version of this film, but would definitely advise getting the camera and filmpack to room or even body temperature to see the results, especially at £2 a pop.

We used SX70 cameras/film at work in the 80s and your shot would have been typical of the results we got. As the Polaroid factory was in nearby Dumbarton, a rep was invited to our annual conference to show us how to improve on the results, whereupon he took a number of photos in the room and all had great colour. He then explained that the film had to be warm in order to get the correct colours, and that we should carry the filmpack in our inside jacket pocket to warm it up before use. As we normally carried the cameras in the car boot, we were destined for poor results for a good part of the year until we found this out. I can't speak for the new version of this film, but would definitely advise getting the camera and filmpack to room or even body temperature to see the results, especially at £2 a pop.
I think that still holds true, the film instructions suggest a working use temperature range of 13-28 degrees C. Plenty of sunshine and plenty of warmth, but not too hot, would seem to be the way... so I should be able to use the camera about 2 days a year! ;)

Just had a Brownie Starmite, a Brownie 44a, and my INSTAMATIC 56x delivered yesterday!! Came in a job lot box of about 9 cameras (including 3 other instamatics) along with some 828 film!! Time to venture into 127 land!

Going to sell a couple of the cleaner cameras and hopefully make back the £20 that the box cost me! The 2 Brownies and the (as new condition) Instamatic though I was quite chuffed with.

Picked this Agfa Optima Reflex up on my travels today. I've already put a roll of ColorPlus through it. The meter seems to work fine and it seems to be good on most speeds though I noticed that after I'd unloaded my film the shutter stayed open on long exposures on the Auto setting. I took all of my pictures outdoors so there shouldn't be a problem.

I also got some AF Minolta extension tubes and a Hove book on Canon Modern Classics from the 90's, on the EF, FTb, F1, A1, AE1 and AE-1P.IMG_20200222_163340.jpg

Back