Official Talk Leica thread

Have you had any dead pixel lines or shutter faults in ownership? Im wondering whether to just ignore all this internet talk and take the plunge.
Ffordes have a couple for what seems to be the current going rate on eBay + you get the fall back of warranty for 6 months.

When I first got my m8 about 9 months ago (from mpb) I noticed one dead pixel on the preview screen and on the jpeg file but does not seem to show using RAW. I think it was only visible using iso3200 which I would never normally now as just tend to leave it set at the native iso160 setting. I initially had a bit of a problem with a 2gb sd card as it was still on the original firmware when i got it and would not work with sdhc cards and sourcing a NON sdhc card is not easy! I first thought the camera was at fault but once I upgraded the firmware and put in an 8gb sdhc card it was fine. I don't think leicas attract "spray and pray" type shooters as the methodology is very "film like" as everything is manual so even old m8s would probably have low shutter counts - mine was about 6000 actuations when I got it - there is an "aperture priority" setting but it is so basic that I immediately dismissed it as of little use as it is a very simple centre weighted setup like you would get on an old film camera. I'd imagine leica would not spend much time developing a feature that would not be of much interest to typical leica shooters who probably mainly like everything fully manual. It would be annoying for the shutter to "die" but I probably only shoot less than a 24 exposure roll per week on average so hopefully not too much stress on the mechanism.

When I first got my m8 about 9 months ago (from mpb) I noticed one dead pixel on the preview screen and on the jpeg file but does not seem to show using RAW. I think it was only visible using iso3200 which I would never normally now as just tend to leave it set at the native iso160 setting. I initially had a bit of a problem with a 2gb sd card as it was still on the original firmware when i got it and would not work with sdhc cards and sourcing a NON sdhc card is not easy! I first thought the camera was at fault but once I upgraded the firmware and put in an 8gb sdhc card it was fine. I don't think leicas attract "spray and pray" type shooters as the methodology is very "film like" as everything is manual so even old m8s would probably have low shutter counts - mine was about 6000 actuations when I got it - there is an "aperture priority" setting but it is so basic that I immediately dismissed it as of little use as it is a very simple centre weighted setup like you would get on an old film camera. I'd imagine leica would not spend much time developing a feature that would not be of much interest to typical leica shooters who probably mainly like everything fully manual. It would be annoying for the shutter to "die" but I probably only shoot less than a 24 exposure roll per week on average so hopefully not too much stress on the mechanism.

Thanks for the info and feedback. I've emailed a couple of dealers that have some for sale so will see what I get back.
Digital M is definitely something I need to give a go having had much joy using film M's.

I worked out that 50mm (what I have already in M mount) would be approx. 66 - 67mm on the M8. Something which I didn't see as horrendous to work with. Ive been using an 85mm comfortably recently on a 5D.

Have you had any dead pixel lines or shutter faults in ownership? Im wondering whether to just ignore all this internet talk and take the plunge.
Ffordes have a couple for what seems to be the current going rate on eBay + you get the fall back of warranty for 6 months.
I've not had any problems so far (touch wood!) I bought mine from StephensPremier in Manchester so it came with a used warranty (long expired now) and good backup as they're a helpful bunch. I'm sure the same would be true of Ffordes.

I've not had any problems so far (touch wood!) I bought mine from StephensPremier in Manchester so it came with a used warranty (long expired now) and good backup as they're a helpful bunch. I'm sure the same would be true of Ffordes.

Well that didn't take long...

Just ordered an M8 from Ffordes!
They offer a 10 day condition approval plus a 6 month warranty. The camera was used as a backup and had under 2k actuations and was available at the rate most you see on eBay go for.
Looking forward to getting it!

Like Stephens Manchester, they know what to look for when checking them, so touch wood all should be great :)

How are you getting on with the Q? Good decision?

Selling all my canon, sony, filters and lighting gear, and purchasing a single camera - good decision :D no regrets.

It's considerably helped my GAS problem :D my Wife asked if I'd was getting another lens - NOPE!

It's a very enjoyable camera to use, and feels at home in intimate situations.

Last edited:
Selling all my canon, sony, filters and lighting gear, and purchasing a single camera - good decision :D no regrets.

It's considerably helped my GAS problem :D my Wife asked if I'd was getting another lens - NOPE!

It's a very enjoyable camera to use, and feels at home in intimate situations.

That's good to hear. Was a big decision but sounds like it's worked well for you.

Still waiting on my Q, ordered in June but not due until October in New Zealand, glad to hear you are enjoying it Dan, it's been a good lesson in patience for me (aside from buying a Sigma DP2M to play with whilst I wait).

The single lens factor is a key one for me too as I tend to collect lenses so the Q might even save me money or at least that's how I have sold it to the bean counter!

The M8 arrived on Thursday. Missed the last light in the evening so did some test shots indoors. Not the best lighting but worked around 640 ISO.
First impressions are great. Felt exactly as I expected to use and the mono conversions I did looked really good too. Need to get a UV IR Cut filter to make the most of colour.
Im looking forward to getting out over the weekend with it. The ISO grain isn't disastrous but I appreciate what people mean when they say that 640 is max.

Didn't find the 1.33 crop factor felt too bad with a 50mm either. Im sure I will likely add a 35mm to it soon just so I have something close to 50mm. Perhaps the 1.4 Nokton Classic or Skopar 2.5.

Auto review off and compression raw :) Not reviewing images, just working with it like it's my film M.
It's certainly made me see the appeal of the other digital M's such as the M9 and Monochrom. I was very skeptical at first. Unfortunately the cost is a bit out of reach. I don't feel 100% in making such as investment as yet.
All hail the M8. Despite it's flaws and Ken Rockwells hatred haha.

I will be a member of the clan soon...

M8 and a 35 1.4 Nokton on the way from Ffordes, just in time for my trip to Paris next weekend.

Excited...

Excellent! You'll love it.

I picked up the 35mm 1.4. It's a nice little lens and the perfect focal length on the M8s crop body IMO.
I quite like the rendering of it too but a lot of the reviews seem hit and miss. It's classic like the name.

Its arrived!

11215848_10207026207591758_2322293162921198699_n.jpg

VERY Mixed feelings, but want to reserve judgement until i get out and shoot with it a little, significantly heavier and bigger than i imagined.

Iv'e just returned from Red Dot Cameras where I traded in my M7 and 35mm Cron for a Q unfortunately I will have to wait six to eight weeks to get my hands on it.
I just couldn't say no to the voices in my head.

Its arrived!

VERY Mixed feelings, but want to reserve judgement until i get out and shoot with it a little, significantly heavier and bigger than i imagined.
id imagine an f1.4 lens would be quite heavy - my m8 has a cheap and cheerful 28/2.8 - a leica m will be metal rather than plastic so reassuringly heavy

Its arrived!

It's a little fatter than the film Ms but equally as comfortable to use I found. Leica isn't for everyone and if you haven't used a rangefinder before it can take a little while to get used to.

Its arrived!

Been out and had much of a play, Simon?

I'm really taken with it. I was very surprised. I've been skeptical of the digital M's and if I am honest, I wasn't sure if I would be returning it within 10 days or not when I pulled the trigger, but having headed out a couple of times with it, it's got a nice balance and I love the files it produces. The Nokton 35mm is pretty decent too (despite it getting a mixed press)
Hardly touched the Fuji today. Stayed in the bag.

Been out and had much of a play, Simon?

I'm really taken with it. I was very surprised. I've been skeptical of the digital M's and if I am honest, I wasn't sure if I would be returning it within 10 days or not when I pulled the trigger, but having headed out a couple of times with it, it's got a nice balance and I love the files it produces. The Nokton 35mm is pretty decent too (despite it getting a mixed press)
Hardly touched the Fuji today. Stayed in the bag.

It went to Paris with me over the weekend. I'm still unsure of my feelings for it, for me its really a daylight camera, and i really only want to shoot it at ISO160, but i have some nice portraits.

21765506226_b2b632d622_z.jpg

21603604630_cf9ed6cac4_c.jpg

21791614065_16af20c194_c.jpg

Last edited:
It went to Paris with me over the weekend. I'm still unsure of my feelings for it, for me its really a daylight camera, and i really only want to shoot it at ISO160, but i have some nice portraits.

21765506226_b2b632d622_z.jpg

21603604630_cf9ed6cac4_c.jpg

21791614065_16af20c194_c.jpg

They look great. ISO 160 is where it shines but I haven't found the files too offensive up to 640. Anything over that is a no no really unless you really have to IMO. The NR in lightroom isn't too bad to smooth some of it but not my ideal.
I don't think the M9 is much better to be fair for ISO performance.

It went to Paris with me over the weekend. I'm still unsure of my feelings for it, for me its really a daylight camera, and i really only want to shoot it at ISO160, but i have some nice portraits......

Looking pretty good and making use of the f/1.4 lens! Have you got the IR cut filter as some of the green leaves look slightly olive tinted? Agree on iso160 being the sweet spot as I just leave mine set to that and learn to hold the camera steady in lower light. With f/1.4 you can keep the shutter speeds 2 stops faster than me with a 2.8 lens.

I'm back in the fold again. I missed my M9 a lot, but just couldn't justify it while I was shooting sports and other fast-paced paid work, so it didn't get used much and I sold it.

Now I've given up sports photography and sold all my pro Canon gear, I've got more time to do the sort of photography I really like - slow, relaxed landscape & suchlike. You'd think I'd be set with a Sony A7R and some very nice Sony Zeiss lenses, but I just don't like using that camera as much as a Leica M body.

So, I've just put all my other gear (Sony A7R, Sony lenses, Fuji X100T, Canon MF lenses) on sale, and bought myself a used M-240, 28 Elmarit ASPH, 50 Summicron to go along with the Hexanon 90 2.8 I've got. Very happy bunny indeed. I've wanted a 28-50-90 setup for a long time so it's a bit of a wish fulfilled. Now, rather than have 5 or 6 cameras and a plethora of lenses, I'm down to 2 cameras (keeping a Sony RX1004 for ultra portability) and feel much better for it. Sort of de-cluttering. Happy days!

I'm back in the fold again. I missed my M9 a lot, but just couldn't justify it while I was shooting sports and other fast-paced paid work, so it didn't get used much and I sold it.

Now I've given up sports photography and sold all my pro Canon gear, I've got more time to do the sort of photography I really like - slow, relaxed landscape & suchlike. You'd think I'd be set with a Sony A7R and some very nice Sony Zeiss lenses, but I just don't like using that camera as much as a Leica M body.

So, I've just put all my other gear (Sony A7R, Sony lenses, Fuji X100T, Canon MF lenses) on sale, and bought myself a used M-240, 28 Elmarit ASPH, 50 Summicron to go along with the Hexanon 90 2.8 I've got. Very happy bunny indeed. I've wanted a 28-50-90 setup for a long time so it's a bit of a wish fulfilled. Now, rather than have 5 or 6 cameras and a plethora of lenses, I'm down to 2 cameras (keeping a Sony RX1004 for ultra portability) and feel much better for it. Sort of de-cluttering. Happy days!

Congrats on the M240! :)

I was out with the camera today to get to know the lenses properly. I like to run through a sequence of tripod mounted frames at different apertures to work out where the lenses are at their sharpest, where diffraction sets in, and just generally to get a feel for it all. The 28 Summarit ASPH is a-mazing. The 50 Summicron gave me a some frames with simply gorgeous colour and contrast, and the 90 Hexanon looks very fine especially as it's the cheapest of the lot. I'm very pleased with the lens selection.

I also wanted to re-familiarise myself with the operation of the M body. Since the M9 there have been a lot of improvements, but the simplicity and ease of operation of the M is just as good as it was with the M9. I particularly like the SET menu operation, the way auto-ISO can be configured, and the simplicity of it all. I wasn't too sure about needing Live View but it did make tripod-mounted composing easier.

Overall, I'm delighted. Happy as a happy thing.

My M240 is a camera to die for, but I'm not using it all. I can't get away from my using my standard canon gear. I wish I could get more into it. I'll probably trade it off for a 1Dx and just keep the canon gear. With the 50 Lux it is supposed to be a one lens lightweight solution but I can't get used to it. It's barely used and I have a couple of lenses that I intended to keep in my handbag. Along with the 50 Lux I have a 24 Elmarit-M and a 90 Elmarit- M. They are very light and I can carry them easily but I don't. Useless or what. Anybody want an M240:)

^^ This. Although I'm perfectly happy with the M8 truth be told despite it's quirks. Although it has created an itch for an M9 down the line :rolleyes:

The M9 is a quality camera with superb colour rendition and currently well priced in the used market. Having said that, the M8 was the best monochrome camera I ever owned.

My M240 is a camera to die for, but I'm not using it all. I can't get away from my using my standard canon gear. I wish I could get more into it. I'll probably trade it off for a 1Dx and just keep the canon gear. With the 50 Lux it is supposed to be a one lens lightweight solution but I can't get used to it. It's barely used and I have a couple of lenses that I intended to keep in my handbag. Along with the 50 Lux I have a 24 Elmarit-M and a 90 Elmarit- M. They are very light and I can carry them easily but I don't. Useless or what. Anybody want an M240:)

Are you giving it away? :D

The M9 is a quality camera with superb colour rendition and currently well priced in the used market. Having said that, the M8 was the best monochrome camera I ever owned.

I was reasonably happy with my M8 until I made the "mistake" of going on one of those Leica experience events at their Mayfair store where I got to play with the M240 for a day. One day... :)

I was reasonably happy with my M8 until I made the "mistake" of going on one of those Leica experience events at their Mayfair store where I got to play with the M240 for a day. One day... :)

Yes, that's exactly what I did several years ago - resulted in me buying an M9 and so it began. It was one of the most expensive "free" experience days ever.

Are you giving it away? :D

As if.

The M240 is an exquisite camera with a 'superb user experience'. Not my words. As a long time Canon user I hoped that the user experience might persuade me to move to the smaller rangefinder format. I love the rangefinder but I keep going back to the Canon. So. sadly, it's simple - I'll have to flog the Leica gear or trade for Canon gear. I won't be knocking the Leica though.

@Doormat is it the rangefinder style focussing you are not so keen on? Have you thought about something like an xpro1 as this is like a hybrid taking elements from both rangefinder (styling and form factor) and keeping elements from a dslr like through the lens composition using the evf?

@Doormat is it the rangefinder style focussing you are not so keen on? Have you thought about something like an xpro1 as this is like a hybrid taking elements from both rangefinder (styling and form factor) and keeping elements from a dslr like through the lens composition using the evf?

In all honesty I am now reluctant to bother with any other system. I am used to the Canon way of things so I'll just stick with them. I'll look to trade the M240 for a 1Dx and move on. Tempt me with Canon gear and you can have the lot.

Last edited:
I have heard it branded the poor mans monochrom in the past. It's a decent camera and for a used digital Leica, sits well in the market.
I'd probably stick with the M8 even if I could afford to upgrade to the M9 as the M8 does still have some benefits like higher top shutter of 1/8000, flash sync of 1/250 instead of 1/180, and lcd frame counter/battery meter on top panel. Just got myself a small flash unit to go with it today (a tiny fuji ef-x20 flash) so like the idea of the extra flexibility with shutter speeds.

Back