Official Talk Leica thread

My M9 has a corroded sensor. These are the options Leica have given me:

1.a repair of your camera free of charge

2.an Upgrade offer to a new M(240) for EUR 3.300,- incl. VAT

3.an Upgrade offer to a new M-P(240) for EUR 3.700,- incl. VAT.

4.an Upgrade offer to a new Monochrom 246 for EUR 3.980,- incl. VAT.

I think I'll take the repair. Leica lent me an M240 a few weeks ago and I didn't see the benefit over an M9 for what I do (although that may have a lot to do with being irritated to to use something different in difficult circumstances). In any case, I can't afford the upstage options.

How much is a brand new M where you live?

Sounds like Leica are valuing your M9 at under €2000?

FWIW I'd take the repair too... IMO The M9 is a "classic" whereas the M240 is a transitional model, which is near (some say very near) the end of its production life...

It might be worth seeing if they'd do an offer with the new M, the M-E replacement one, which is basically a M with no live view, an alloy top plate and a quieter shutter... I forget it's name... It'll come to me the moment I hit post....!

I don't believe the M240 is an interim model. For example it has 24 Mp, live view, video, EVF etc. It's not state of the art but it easily surpasses the M9 in usability. The live view allows the use of many lenses which I've found really useful. The image quality is stunning as is the low light capability. The M9 is a great camera but the M240 is worth the upgrade. Having said that, it would be cheaper to take the repair, sell the M9 and buy a lightly used M240 or the new M262.

I don't believe the M240 is an interim model. For example it has 24 Mp, live view, video, EVF etc. It's not state of the art but it easily surpasses the M9 in usability. The live view allows the use of many lenses which I've found really useful. The image quality is stunning as is the low light capability. The M9 is a great camera but the M240 is worth the upgrade. Having said that, it would be cheaper to take the repair, sell the M9 and buy a lightly used M240 or the new M262.

My point is that within 12 months (maybe even 6) there will be a new M '240' so now might not be the best time to get one.

There's do doubting the excellence of the current M, but if the jump to the next is the same as the jump from the M9 to the 240, personally I'd wait.... even if it's 'only' to score a 240 at a great price

My point is that within 12 months (maybe even 6) there will be a new M '240' so now might not be the best time to get one.

There's do doubting the excellence of the current M, but if the jump to the next is the same as the jump from the M9 to the 240, personally I'd wait.... even if it's 'only' to score a 240 at a great price

Fair comments. With any camera there is always the next model and waiting for it is usually pointless. It won't significantly reduce the used price of the current M until about a year after it's introduction. That's a long wait.

How much is a brand new M where you live?

Sounds like Leica are valuing your M9 at under €2000?

FWIW I'd take the repair too... IMO The M9 is a "classic" whereas the M240 is a transitional model, which is near (some say very near) the end of its production life...

It might be worth seeing if they'd do an offer with the new M, the M-E replacement one, which is basically a M with no live view, an alloy top plate and a quieter shutter... I forget it's name... It'll come to me the moment I hit post....!

An M240 seems to be £4,150. I don't think they'd offer me an upgrade to an M 262.

Guys I want to try a Leica.

How can I do this? Is there a store that I can't rent a camera?

If you can get to London, go to the Leica Store in Mayfair and they'll give you a 1/2 day introduction course which you'll love. That's what got me hooked. I'm pretty sure they still do them - google Leica Mayfair for info or give them a call.

Thanks!

I agree in one way - I think it depends what sort of pics you want to take. The only reason I'd have a 1DX would be if I was taking photos of things that move fast and erratically. Happily I've stopped doing all that now which is why I went for the M, but there's no doubt a 1DX is an amazing piece of kit.

Nice post Tobers.

really made me think about the leica and the amazing customer support they provide.

January I will be going to Mayfair and see if I can get that experience

You won't be disappointed. Leica Mayfair is actually home to real photographers.

Personally I think that the "remote / disconnected" view of modern kit is over stated although this is highly personal. Personally I find newer kit as involving and probably more so than the older kit. Certainly I can do more with new kit and that makes it more involving and more connecting to me.

When using a more modern camera turn all the gadgets off or simply ignore them and it can be a very film like experience the main difference in use and feel being that you change settings with little buttons and dials rather than rather large knurled and marked knobs, use unmarked FBW lenses rather than marked ones with end stops and focus differently.

I've used old manual lenses on my CSC's since I got my G1 so that's a few years now and although I do miss manual dials and end stops on balance I do prefer the modern cameras as they offer so much more when I want to use it and at the moment I'm actually using modern AF lenses more than my manual ones.

Ignoring the particular allure and faults of Leica and Sony and talking generally, I do see the appeal of manual controls and lenses, I owned RF's for years and still use manual lenses, but I do think that some are too quick to label modern kit as uninvolving and disconnected and I don't think it is, I think it's just a different sort of involvement and connection. It's like comparing a typewriter to a pc or an old bike to a modern carbon fibre state of the art job, they do things differently. The modern kit is actually more complex and offers more abilities but can still offer similar but just different simplicity if you set it up to do so and perhaps only lacks the tactility and old world experience of the old metal things :D

I assumed FBW focussing was mainly a cost saving measure so that manufacturers don't need to build a mechanical linkage into the lens.
Unmarked dials are OK for people who can easily read LCD displays and I found this an annoyance on my old D610 as changing shutter speed meant first having to half press the shutter button to "wake up" the LCD shutter speed readout and then having to twiddle the thumbwheel whilst looking at the LCD which meant having to remove my glasses first. With the marked M8 shutter dial it's so much more simple as I can see the clearly marked dial even with my glasses on and there is no need to "wake up" an LCD first.

If a certain brand of camera makes you want to get out there and shoot more than another then it is the brand for you.

I cannot afford to invest in a Leica system but I'm perfectly content with my Fuji :)

Bit random this...

But I ran into a charming couple in town yesteday, she had a M240, he the new SL

It's actually not that much bigger than a 240, he had a 50mm via the T adaptor but did admit he had no interest in the kit zoom and bought it only to use with M mount primes

Hiya all,

Primarily I'm a film shooter. Street and Travel in the main with my Leica M6, Fuji 645 Pro, and my 1953 Zeiss Ikon Nettar II.

That trio of cameras have stood me in good stead - but I felt I was missing certain shots/experiences that getting a digital camera again would allow me to achieve.

So after a demo down at the Leica Mayfair store a couple of months ago, I visited the Manchester Leica store today to order the Leica Q.

Just a 6 week or so wait now ☹️

I'll never get rid my my M6 but I'm sure the Q will be a great shooting partner for it.

Ta,
Shane :)

Couple more from the M8 in Krakow over New Years.

Still REALLY undecided about keeping it. I love it for travel and the size, but its not flexible for anything else I think i'm interested in doing... (maybe i'll just buy a Canon Setup too :) )

Poland_2015_NYE_2_of_4.jpg

Poland_2015_NYE_3_of_4.jpg

Poland_2015_NYE_4_of_4.jpg

Last edited:
I think the detractors will say "well, you could slow down with any camera", which technically is correct, but there's just something about the M which makes is much more pleasant to use like this. Click click, two notches on the aperture, click click, matching two notches on shutter speed, you know immediately where you are with the camera etc etc, the focus stays where you want it, the shutter sound, the feel. It's all very very nice.

I think the Fuji X100T and XT1 are close contenders, but they are just more fiddly and not as satisfying. I did enjoy my X100T but sold it to make way for the Leica.

I think the detractors will say "well, you could slow down with any camera", which technically is correct, but there's just something about the M which makes is much more pleasant to use like this. Click click, two notches on the aperture, click click, matching two notches on shutter speed, you know immediately where you are with the camera etc etc, the focus stays where you want it, the shutter sound, the feel. It's all very very nice.

I think the Fuji X100T and XT1 are close contenders, but they are just more fiddly and not as satisfying. I did enjoy my X100T but sold it to make way for the Leica.

I haven't read your site yet (wildo once I've posted this!) but seeing as you mention Fuji...

I have a XT1 and X-Pro1, the XT just gets on with it, the XP I use in MF, with a far slower working method. I'm not trying to compare Leica to Fuji, but for me when I use a fast camera, I tend to use it quickly... It's like trying to not go fast on a fast motorbike... Takes more self control than I have! And I really do find that I put more thought into the XP images, it's not necessarily a conscious thing... The brain just seems to get a better idea, like different framing or noticing a different light when things are slowed down a bit..

So yeah, basically, I agree with the whole it's good to slow down thing, and for a me a slower camera helps with that, so l-o-n-g post short, completely agree :)

I don't find i'm particularly slower with the Leica than I would be with a DSLR. I still take the same amount of time to frame and compose the shot. Obviously AF is quicker though, but you get pretty used to the Leica quickly.

Looking around though, I am very tempted to hack the Leica in for a 5Dmk2 and 50 1.2. Just for the full frame and the video really... But i'm really not sure if i could deal with the size.... Hmmmm

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/
not visited them but they "eat, breathe, sleep, live Leica" :cool:
Red Dot do sound like a good idea.
I've never really got on with the service in Leica Mayfair. Their support for replacing a lost eyecup seal was great over email and post, but whenever i've physically attended their store i've been promptly ignored for the grey hair bearded patrons who would arrive after me. I fear my appearance doesn't suit their ideals even if my camera and lenses do.

Here are the ones I'd recommend on top of Leica Mayfair:

- Red Dot cameras, great place, very friendly, huge used stock crammed into a tiny shop.
- Richard Caplan. Similarly friendly, not such an extensive stock as Red Dot.
- Aperture UK. Nice bunch, atmospheric shop, smallish range but worth a look. 2nd hand only. Also have lots of other non-Leica 2nd hand gear.

I can't recommend Classic Camera I'm afraid.

I have just been in London and I went to Leica store I have tried monochrome camera and the experience was amazing. I am still looking for an m6 which I couldn't find anywhere but I didn't have time to go to red dot camera's
Are you ever visit Mr. cad in the store as a lot of field used cameras but I couldn't find any Leica I don't know what to do now because I quite enjoyed the digital leica is now but it's so damn expensive

Had a look on ebay sold listings for m9 and the only 1500 pounder i could see was a black one but with a sliver base plate - looked a bit odd although you hear stories of people loosing their base plates somehow

Last edited:
Back