Official Talk Leica thread

Well, the Q has arrived.

Got an surprising email yesterday saying that it had arrived at Leica Manchester. Expected a lot longer wait.

Just collected it and the handgrip, and now waiting for the train home to Stoke.

:)

Hiya all,

Primarily I'm a film shooter. Street and Travel in the main with my Leica M6, Fuji 645 Pro, and my 1953 Zeiss Ikon Nettar II.

That trio of cameras have stood me in good stead - but I felt I was missing certain shots/experiences that getting a digital camera again would allow me to achieve.

So after a demo down at the Leica Mayfair store a couple of months ago, I visited the Manchester Leica store today to order the Leica Q.

Just a 6 week or so wait now ☹️

I'll never get rid my my M6 but I'm sure the Q will be a great shooting partner for it.

Ta,
Shane :)

Q and M6

Straight out of the box. Not put the grip on yet.

Battery charging.

View attachment 55675
So nice! you really love rangefinder!

Can I ask you about your m6?

I want to buy one but i never used a rangefinder. I was thinking about getting like a olympus xa and then if i enjoy shooting with rangefinder, get an M6 chrome like yours.
What's your magnification? And do think the ttl is a major improvement ? I dont use flash so i think i will need it but you never know...
Is that a 50mm ? I was thinking about getting an affordable voigtlander 35mm. Will i loose much quality?

The XA is a rangefinder, but a very different beast. The rangefinder patch can be very faint, the camera is very small, so the whole handling is seriously compromised compared with a Leica. I'd get a larger camera like a Canonet G17 (there are others) if I were you. Buy wisely and you will be able to sell for similar money, maybe lose the price of a few rolls of films.

It looks like the main difference between m6 & m6ttl is a slightly bigger shutter dial and the ability to use a flash in ttl mode - i can't imagine non-ttl flash would be difficult for a typical leica user used to manual settings so i'd go with a regular m6 if i wanted a film leica

It looks like the main difference between m6 & m6ttl is a slightly bigger shutter dial and the ability to use a flash in ttl mode - i can't imagine non-ttl flash would be difficult for a typical leica user used to manual settings so i'd go with a regular m6 if i wanted a film leica

Exactly this.

It would be unfair to both the XA and M6 to view them as similar cameras. They are only similar by being rangefinders and film cameras.

If you want to try a non-Leica-but-more-like-a-Leica rangefinder first, I agree with Chris - don't get a XA.

Mine is the M6 Classic, not the TTL. (Though both the Classic and TTL are TTL capable). I will never use a flash with a Leica. The main difference is the bigger shutter speed dial, and the dial turns "the other way".

I love it. It's fabulous in many ways. I'll only get rid of it if I see a mint M7 at a great price, and I'm in no rush for that to happen.

Yep, that's the 'latest' 50mm Elmar-M f/2.8. Very very nice lens. Very under-rated, and it looks lovely with the filter and hood. Also available in chrome - which looks lovely too.

Nothing wrong with the Voigtlander lenses. Very good value for money.

Mine is the 0.72 magnification. I can't see the 28mm frame lines well because I wear glasses, but I knew this would be an issue before I purchased it. My main focal lengths are 35mm/50mm - and now I have the Q with its EVF the issue is now a non-issue, and I can use 28mm in comfort.

Ta,

Last edited:
I want to report GREAT service from Leica. I bought a 90mm Summicron APO ASPH second hand which the previous owner had confirmed had been repaired by Leica shortly before I bought it. I got it for a decent price as a result.

Initial tests before I handed over the cash looked OK, but further testing showed the lens was front focusing quite a lot. A 90 f/2 is a bit tricky to focus anyway as you have to be very precise, and initially I thought it was just me, but it turned out it was the lens. Contacted Leica and they said to send in the lens and my M-240 for an expedited test & calibration. A few days later I had it all back and it is PERFECT. And my M-240 was checked, calibrated and the sensor was cleaned. Cost was £0.00 - they even paid postage.

Compare that to the total nightmare I went through with Sony, first for my A7R which got a bit of rain on and stopped working (not weatherproof after all) and I had to pay for what should be a warranty repair, and then my RX100IV which wouldn't hold its charge and took Sony 6 weeks to sort out (and I had to pay again). Leica see to have figured out the importance of amazing customer service, much like Apple. Happy days. Here's 3 pics with the 90 and M-240 from a wander around Islington.

Oh my this 90 Summicron is something else - amazingly sharp and gorgeous, with a sort of "sparkly" quality to the images that's hard to define. People always rant on about Leica lenses, and I can see why. This 90 is outstanding, as are the other two lenses I have, a 50 Summicron and 28 Elmarit.

Here's some samples - nothing special as I was just really exploring the lens capabilities...

Bike by Tobers, on Flickr

Apartments by Tobers, on Flickr

Trees by Tobers, on Flickr

Lovely images from the M240 @Tobers

@SlimShaney How are you getting on with the Q? They look like awesome cameras. The consensus from users seems positive too.

Shot a few frames with the M8 today. Was some lovely sun at the coast first thing. Just love the files that this camera produces. They are very easy to work with IMO.

Last edited:
Hiya,

So far, so good - though hardly shot with it this last week with work getting it the way. Just around the house really, testing it out.

I'm hoping to get out and about with it the latter half of this week so will post images up after.

I'm impressed with the ergonomics of it (with the additional grip), the focus is very fast - including low light, the EVF is very nice.

I think it's going to be a great purchase.

Ta,

Hi :wave:

Formally Sony A7 user. After a few weeks of self questioning traded in and got a Leica Q yesterday. Loving the simplicity and feel of it. Just need to get out and about now...

I've just returned from a rather epic 2-week landscaping trip to Assynt in north west Scotland. My weapon of choice was my M-240 plus 28,50 and 90 lenses. What a superb camera for landscaping (and just using in general). I'm going to write up my thoughts but in the meantime here are a couple of image threads for you from the Landscapes sub-forum...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/assynt-workshop-north-west-scotland.616107/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/up-on-the-top-of-stac-pollaidh.616902/

I've just returned from a rather epic 2-week landscaping trip to Assynt in north west Scotland. My weapon of choice was my M-240 plus 28,50 and 90 lenses. What a superb camera for landscaping (and just using in general). I'm going to write up my thoughts but in the meantime here are a couple of image threads for you from the Landscapes sub-forum...

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/assynt-workshop-north-west-scotland.616107/
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/up-on-the-top-of-stac-pollaidh.616902/

Great shots here, Andy. Especially in the first post. I must get to Scotland at some point!

Hiya all,

Spent today at the Photography Show at the NEC.

Of the time there, I must have spent a good 2 1/2 hours at the Leica stand, giving the SL a good workout.

Some thoughts:

Body:

Not as big as people make out. Try and see it in the flesh before you 'knock' the size. I felt the size was fine - not too big, not too small and cluttered. Put a M lens on and it is amazing how small it feels (I tried various M lenses on it and 'it just felt right' using them on this body). It feels great on the hand (unless you have small hands). I had no issues with the grip, button layout etc.
Focus aids are nice. Peaking and/or magnification work brilliantly like you would expect.
The joystick control is amazing - for focus points, menu navigation, manual focus focusing aid control etc.
Wonderful build quality.
Absolutely superb EVF - massive, brilliant quality, no lag.
The camera needs a fast SD card else you will get delayed start up times (2-3 seconds rather than 1 sec or less), and slight pause when saving the images to card. When using with a Sandisk 95mbps card it was absolutely fine and fast. Used a Kingston Class 10 and the delay happened. This with DNG and Fine JPG.
The non labelled buttons are at first confusing, but spend 5 mins configuring them to your liking and you are good to go.
Weight of the body is fine. It feels dense and robust.

I was more interested in using the body with M lenses. However, I spent a quick 20 minutes with the zooms.

24-90mm f2.8/f4.0 lens:

Image quality great. Build quality great. Size - blinking huge for a variable aperture lens. Why they couldn't make it a straight f2.8 who knows - though would it have been even bigger…?
Expensive even by Leica standards.

To be fair I'm a prime lens fan, and use a Leica M6 and Leica Q, so I wouldn't dream of wanting this lens. But it is blinking big!

90-280mm f2.8/f4.0:

Image quality great. Build quality great. Size - blinking huge, but it is a 90-280mm. Variable aperture is forgivable, but again - why not straight f/2.8.
Handles nicely.
I liked this lens more than the 24-90mm (though never in a month of Sunday's would I want a focal range such as this).

Overall, I think the SL is a superb camera. I'd love one to use my M lenses on (and get R lenses to use on it). Lovely build, great handling and feel. I'm not a fan of the 2 zooms released so far. I'm interested in how the upcoming 50mm will be. The Leica staff said that they are expecting the system to have 13 native lenses, and of course you can use M, R, and T lenses (plus more), and no doubt there will be adapters for other lens mounts available at some point.

Anyone got £5000....

Ta,

Last edited:
I'm going to join this thread as the poor man Leica - recently bought an old V Lux 1 for the memories - if always wanted one back when I was 15 or so but could never afford it. Now they're about for a bit over a days work! Poor, old not amazing camera but I do like using it and it's nice styling and usability goodness!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1458600492.249434.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1458600535.353546.jpg

Out of interest, what made you buy the Leica over the Panasonic FZ50? Interesting comparison of apparent values, the most recent sales of each camera on Ebay show a £150 difference in final price;

Leica VLux1 - £190

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-V-Lux-1-/131751551761?hash=item1ead012311:g:8oYAAOSwuAVW01Ij&nma=true&si=Vh28eF3H893gPla5H7M%2F3ldmhEo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Panasonic FZ50 - £40

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Panasonic-LUMIX-DMC-FZ50-10-1-MP-Digital-Camera-Black-/371572516494?hash=item568372a68e:g:EyQAAOSwwpdW4Ui9&nma=true&si=Vh28eF3H893gPla5H7M%2F3ldmhEo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The first review article I found for the Leica states that they're the same camera bar some "image processing adjustments"

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0467892307/leicavlux1

"Pre-Photokina 2006: The second new Leica digital camera is the V-LUX 1, clearly based on Panasonic's DMC-FZ50 this camera has virtually identical specifications"

Well as a kid I'd always wanted a camera that could take good wildlife pics (long zoom) to compliment my Nikon D50. The pannny fz50 was the most affordable and best quality one available back then, so it was that one I got, even though I wanted the Leica version. So I guess the other week, I managed to get it for about £95 boxes with everything in as new condition... And I just though "f*** it, let's do it!"

This "nostalgia" thing is starting to be some a bad habit though.. Got a mint D2X sitting on my cabinet that I just don't use.. [emoji23]

Hiya all,

Spent today at the Photography Show at the NEC.

Of the time there, I must have spent a good 2 1/2 hours at the Leica stand, giving the SL a good workout.

Some thoughts:

Body:

Not as big as people make out. Try and see it in the flesh before you 'knock' the size. I felt the size was fine - not too big, not too small and cluttered. Put a M lens on and it is amazing how small it feels (I tried various M lenses on it and 'it just felt right' using them on this body). It feels great on the hand (unless you have small hands). I had no issues with the grip, button layout etc.
Focus aids are nice. Peaking and/or magnification work brilliantly like you would expect.
The joystick control is amazing - for focus points, menu navigation, manual focus focusing aid control etc.
Wonderful build quality.
Absolutely superb EVF - massive, brilliant quality, no lag.
The camera needs a fast SD card else you will get delayed start up times (2-3 seconds rather than 1 sec or less), and slight pause when saving the images to card. When using with a Sandisk 95mbps card it was absolutely fine and fast. Used a Kingston Class 10 and the delay happened. This with DNG and Fine JPG.
The non labelled buttons are at first confusing, but spend 5 mins configuring them to your liking and you are good to go.
Weight of the body is fine. It feels dense and robust.

I was more interested in using the body with M lenses. However, I spent a quick 20 minutes with the zooms.

24-90mm f2.8/f4.0 lens:

Image quality great. Build quality great. Size - blinking huge for a variable aperture lens. Why they couldn't make it a straight f2.8 who knows - though would it have been even bigger…?

To be fair I'm a prime lens fan, and use a Leica M6 and Leica Q, so I wouldn't dream of wanting this lens. But it is blinking big!

90-280mm f2.8/f4.0:

Image quality great. Build quality great. Size - blinking huge, but it is a 90-280mm. Variable aperture is forgivable, but again - why not straight f/2.8.
Handles nicely.
I liked this lens more than the 24-90mm (though never in a month of Sunday's would I want a focal range such as this).

Overall, I think the SL is a superb camera. I'd love one to use my M lenses on (and get R lenses to use on it). Lovely build, great handling and build. I'm not a fan of the 2 zooms released so far. I'm interested in how the upcoming 50mm will be. The Leica staff said that they are expecting the system to have 13 native lenses, and of course you can use M, R, and T lenses (plus more), and no doubt there will be adapters for other lens mounts available at so point.

Anyone got £5000....

Ta,

I ran into someone in town with a SL (and a 50mm M lens attached) a few months ago, and yes, the body size is far smaller than some of the press would have you believe! He was one happy owner and we had a good camera chat, even though I'm not a Leica user ;)

IMO if you're used to something like a Sony NEX then the SL is huge, but if you're used to shooting with a FF DSLR then it's competitively sized... Ignore the EVF hump, and it's about the size of a M240 with the optional grip on it!

More messing around with Macro.

Leica Q. Auto ISO. f/5.6 Mixture of Macro mode and a B+W Close Up filter (+10). Converted from DNG in Lightroom.

01.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

Anybody help ?
Thinking of a 21mm for my film M. Don't like the idea of add on finder. If I frame using the whole of the finder window will I be far out ?

21 is pretty wide but I think you will get used to it. For precise shooting (eg landscaping) where you are very conscious of what is at the edges and corners of the frame, the EVF is your friend.

21 is pretty wide but I think you will get used to it. For precise shooting (eg landscaping) where you are very conscious of what is at the edges and corners of the frame, the EVF is your friend.

Thanks, should've mentioned I shoot film.

Back