Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, Jugendstil (Art Nouveau) in Mannheim/D ... (M9 - Elmarit 2,8/21 asph. f 5,6 ; crop) :

L1005611_DxO-L21-c.jpg

(Supported on a lamp-post, using an acrylic level. 21mm is not wide enough for this ... )

Attachments

• L1005611_DxO-L21a-56.jpg
    L1005611_DxO-L21a-56.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 0
Moody skies
Leica M10 + 135mm Leitz

I did pop into the local leica store to ask about the evf cutting out on this lens and now a little on the 105 + novoflex.
Helpful assistant said it's probably the mount and could be replaced, at a 250euro cost.... but the lens is only 500 euro... so decided to put up with the irritating evf turning off repeatedly.. ;)

Just processed the last batch of pics... man I have to clean the sensor again. Sucks up dust bunnies...

Hi, bokeh variations ... (M9 - #1) LEITZ Tele-Elmarit-M 2,8/90 f 2,8, #2) ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 f 1,4 ; crop):

#1 :

L1005667_DxO-L901-28.jpg

#2 :

L1024037_DxO-z35d-14-c.jpg

(Quite interesting, what FL does to bokeh. F 2,8 and 90mm lead to better results - I think - than a 50mm lens at 1,4. There is not always a need for speed ... --- )

Attachments

• L1024037_DxO-z35-14.jpg
    L1024037_DxO-z35-14.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 0
Actually used the 90mm! (Did I show this already?) by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

No! It is new. Reminds one of Bob Dylan (Blowing in the Wind ... ( ;) ) ) ...

It makes me want to visit Porto again. - I hope in autumn airlines will have proper seats, and everything will be corona clear ... ---

No! It is new. Reminds one of Bob Dylan (Blowing in the Wind ... ( ;) ) ) ...

It makes me want to visit Porto again. - I hope in autumn airlines will have proper seats, and everything will be corona clear ... ---

I just flew from Porto to the uk and it was all smooth and normal, 5h45m door to door!

Hi, bokeh variations - when you get closer ... (M9 - LEITZ Tele-Elmarit-M 2,8/90 f 2,8) - and Have a nice weekend ! :

L1005643_DxO-L901-28.jpg

L1005647_DxO-L901-28.jpg

Hi, ... (M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2; crops) :

L1024083_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

L1024083_DxO-v50-2-cc.jpg

Attachments

• L1024083_DxO-v50-2.jpg
    L1024083_DxO-v50-2.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 0
Hi, ... (M9 - Summarit 2,5/75 f 2,5 ; crop) :

L1005816_DxO-L75-25-c.jpg

(MF lenses lead to a very low yield - for me ... But I am putting off buying an AF macro for my SONYs, because this would be the end of usage for my MF macros.

I had the same experience with my MF tele lenses, after I bought AF teles ... )

Attachments

• L1005816_DxO-L75-25-f.jpg
    L1005816_DxO-L75-25-f.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi, ... (M9 - Summarit 2,5/75 f 2,5 ; crop) :

(MF lenses lead to a very low yield - for me ... But I am putting off buying an AF macro for my SONYs, because this would be the end of usage for my MF macros.

I had the same experience with my MF tele lenses, after I bought AF teles ... )
But you have peek (zoomed in view) on the sony right... ? so is it just the lens not magnifying enough or sharp enough ? Or is it just that the focus is always a little off (might be technique)... if the latter, use a wobble and take several pics... or higher f# (f16? 22) and a light source....?

For me, out and about, and also (now with the step up ring) trying out the lee filters super stopper (mainly because I bought as an accident, and I cannot find the little or big for a reasonable price).
However, almost everytime I use it one corner appears to either have light leak or reflection... Anyone else used lee filters and had this? if so how to fix. See below

Second (repeating) gripe... sensor dust.. I clean, it looks and appears clean. the shot of the sky has little to no dots... I go out and take pics.... sensor dust... It appears to be really easy to get sensor dust, and very hard to clean it (tried for an hour tonight, so must be my technique or lack of)...

But you have peek (zoomed in view) on the sony right... ? so is it just the lens not magnifying enough or sharp enough ? Or is it just that the focus is always a little off (might be technique)... if the latter, use a wobble and take several pics... or higher f# (f16? 22) and a light source....? ...

Hi, I have difficulties when taking insect pics. The silly bugs do not sit still, but move or fly about. And it takes me some time to focus manually. Too long, often.

Of course, I could prime flowers using honey to make them sit still longer, but this is cheating, in a way ... ---

Went to a biker cafe to take some BAR-(Bikes At Rest) pics ... :

L1005951_DxO-v50-35.jpg

L1005932_DxO-v50.jpg

Last edited:
For me, out and about, and also (now with the step up ring) trying out the lee filters super stopper (mainly because I bought as an accident, and I cannot find the little or big for a reasonable price).
However, almost everytime I use it one corner appears to either have light leak or reflection... Anyone else used lee filters and had this? if so how to fix. See below

Second (repeating) gripe... sensor dust.. I clean, it looks and appears clean. the shot of the sky has little to no dots... I go out and take pics.... sensor dust... It appears to be really easy to get sensor dust, and very hard to clean it (tried for an hour tonight, so must be my technique or lack of)...
Are you using a Lee filter holder with the step ring? I’m sure I’ve read light leaks can occur with the holder. Some people drape a cloth across the holder before taking the photo - maybe worth trying.

I’ve found the sensor on the M-10P to suffer from dust quite a lot. I usually regularly rocket blow to make it better! In the UK Leica offer 2 free sensor cleans a year - not sure if this is the case where you are.

Netherlands... they cleaned for free on the m240 once... no offer for m10 though. Only a recommendation to send away to clean at a price (ie they gave me the place to send it to and I would need to send/drop off, pay them and get dusty/dirty almost immediately). I just repeated the cleaning until there is only one or two dots, it'll have to do.
I do notice it a lot though on both the m240 (before) and the m10 (more on this one).

Lee filter, its the 100x100 with the holder (plasticy) and the filter holder parts (rubber/plastic spring type for two glass filters.
If there is light leak, then it seems a waste considering they aren't cheap to buy... Should've stuck with the welding glass and a ring plus blutack.... 10 ukp max :D

Hayfever... naaasty

Last edited:
I’ve found the sensor on the M-10P to suffer from dust quite a lot. I usually regularly rocket blow to make it better! In the UK Leica offer 2 free sensor cleans a year - not sure if this is the case where you are.

you get two a year here in Portugal too

Netherlands... they cleaned for free on the m240 once... no offer for m10 though. Only a recommendation to send away to clean at a price (ie they gave me the place to send it to and I would need to send/drop off, pay them and get dusty/dirty almost immediately). I just repeated the cleaning until there is only one or two dots, it'll have to do.
I do notice it a lot though on both the m240 (before) and the m10 (more on this one).

I think it has to be at an official Leica store not an independent, also they use some sort of special machine to do it, not just a gel stick and swab!

Maybe it’s worth to try cleaning the lenses and also around the lens mount/RF coupling on the camera

Lenses pick up dust like crazy and focusing them when on the camera means they’re like a pump for that dust

suction is better than air apparently, I modified an attachment for the dyson (by wedging a rubber hose and gaffer taping it in) for this and it works fairly well

(obviously folks stay the f**k away from the shutter blades)

Hi, strange flowers (or weeds (?)) in my garden ... (M9 - LEITZ Tele-Elmarit-M 2,8/90 f 2,8 ; crop) :

L1024356_DxO-L901-28-c.jpg

Attachments

• L1024356_DxO-L901-28-f.jpg
    L1024356_DxO-L901-28-f.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 0
Just shy of being four weeks in with the M10...

In short, I'm very happy (although I've had less opportunity to use it than I might have, 1200 frames though)

It's a little strange just how much what I notice about it has changed!

When I first held one, and eventually bought one, my most immediate impression was how thin it felt compared to the M240 (even though it's only 4mm or something)

Playing with it in the store I couldn't really tell you that it had an improved viewfinder but now I'm really conscious of just how noticeably better the VF is!

My biggest concern was the battery life... I've gotten really used too 7-800shots from the 240...

I bought a new battery with the camera (it came with one too) and I got 660ish from the supplied-with-camera one and 750ish from the brand new one.

So I'm delighted with that.

I'm so far very happy with the IQ! (which isn't a big shock)

I'm predominantly a LR user (although I do have C1 as well)

The 'adobe standard' profile is kinda muted (nothing new there then huh adobe?) and perhaps a little too rusty-brown, but that said it's a strong stable starting point for editing.

The native profile (some folks wax lyrical about Leica profiles, but really they're just two Color Matrices, so IMHO not a profile per se) is nice in the sun, big bold colours (that I like - OMWV), but it's shockingly bad under artificial light!

During the past lockdown I've been learning all about custom profile creation fallen into a custom profile creation rabbit hole, where my ambition far outweighs my abilities, so I've made a few tweaks here and there to how the M10 renders images. It's all a work in progress really.

N1001076.LR.jpg

Although there's plenty of places on the 'net suggesting that the M10 and M9 have very similar rendering... I'm not really seeing it... but for sure (erm IMHO) there's a certain how shall we say, family resemblance between the two (I don't necessarily mean in the shots I'm posting here) and that's a good thing in my book.

N1000908.LR.jpg

The M9 resemblance I'm seeing is in the deep blue handling (the M9 has quite a cyan bias)

N1000963.LR.jpg

The M10 presents clean images, that have strong colours and strong contrast and I'm fond of this look in my work

N1000388.LR.jpg

The photographer community often uses words like; 'pop', 'glow', 'bite' etc... Of those I'm learning towards the M10 having a bite to it's images

Of course even secondhand the M10 is very far from being chump change and it has the dubious honour of being the most money I've ever spent on a single item of photography equipment (by a considerable margin), but equally at secondhand values the M10 is less than many spend on more mainstream brand cameras (top end DSLRs and Sonys and medium format options) so the cost of ownership is what it is.

Personally I find I only ever fret about the cost of something if I'm unhappy with it (eg I can't believe this crap cost that much or damn why did I buy the cheap one, this is rubbish) and so far there's no signs of this happening with the M10.

Now I just hope that things stay unlocked down, and maybe even some travel, (although I just visited the UK I had to cut the trip short when the green list changed and my flight home got cancelled!), but whatever summer holds I hope for photos, many photos!

Back