Official Talk Leica thread

Been waiting for my new a-la-carte MP for 7 weeks now ..... I'm quite a patient guy but getting excited now ...... anybody know how long its likely to take?

Been waiting for my new a-la-carte MP for 7 weeks now ..... I'm quite a patient guy but getting excited now ...... anybody know how long its likely to take?

Sorry can't help. But I'm well envious..nice one.

Hi all,

Some photos taken in Lisbon last week.

These were taken with the Leica Q - and are of the Grand Parade of Masks for the Festival Internacional Da Mascara Iberia.

The full set (32 images) can be seen on my Flickr page, or website. Links in my signature.

Ta,
Shane :)

QLISBONMASKS09.jpg

QLISBONMASKS31.jpg

QLISBONMASKS01.jpg

QLISBONMASKS08.jpg
QLISBONMASKS07.jpg

Lovely but most look a little under exposed to me or is this a look you were going for?

Hiya,

Didn't go to Sintra this visit, but have been there on previous visits :) Lovely place.

Under-exposed, no - but PPd a certain way. I thought the shots suited it.

Ta for the comments :)

Lovely but most look a little under exposed to me or is this a look you were going for?

I don't want to speak for Shane, he can do that himself, but his choices in PP very much reflect how I remember Lisbon looking (it's been a while since I was in Lisbon, but I live in Porto) with vibrant yet quite dark colours, also the light here (well in Porto at least) can really make things look dull yet bright at the same time, a bit like playing with the lightness and saturation sliders in post!

FWIW to my eye, there's a definate Portugal vibe to these shots, and I don't just mean the content!

Many thanks for your comments Adzman. You are lucky to live in Porto - it's a beautiful city.

You are right about the 'look' of Lisbon. I often describe it has 'faded decadence' ; grand squares and buildings that 'aren't quite perfect' with street art, faded paint, broken cobblestones etc.

I do have a certain PP style that may not be to everyone's taste (vignettes etc, muted colours), but to my eye the shots suit that style.

Saying that, I always listen to comments, criticisms, and remarks. I appreciate them all. None of us are perfect photographers, and are always learning.

Cheers,
Shane :)

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've always hankered after a Leica rangefinder as I enjoy the rangefinder approach. I tried out using a Yashica Electro 35 with film, but to be honest, I'd really like a digital version. I plan on selling my X100s and Ricoh Gr to raise some funds and was wondering on peoples thoughts on a used M8? I've discounted the 8.2 as for the price difference I don't see a lot of merit. Also, as much as I'd like an M-E or M9, they are really too much to justify when I have a Fuji X-T1 and lenses too. I was planning on getting the M8 and probably either a 28 or 35 mm lens. Again, I can't go mad on cost, so was hoping someone could recommend a nice lens too? Ideally Leica but third party is also an option. Is the M8 still worth a punt after 10 years? I know about the coffee stain lack of repairs, but otherwise it seems quite a nice camera. 10MP is enough as I rarely print larger than 8 x 10 and if I do, it will probably be a landscape from the X-T1. I fancy the Leica for holiday pics and travel to replace the X100s.

Any thoughts? Also, what is the going rate? I've seen a few in good nick for about £900 with warranty. Private seems similar on eBay?

Thanks,
Steve

Hi all,

I've always hankered after a Leica rangefinder as I enjoy the rangefinder approach. I tried out using a Yashica Electro 35 with film, but to be honest, I'd really like a digital version. I plan on selling my X100s and Ricoh Gr to raise some funds and was wondering on peoples thoughts on a used M8? I've discounted the 8.2 as for the price difference I don't see a lot of merit. Also, as much as I'd like an M-E or M9, they are really too much to justify when I have a Fuji X-T1 and lenses too. I was planning on getting the M8 and probably either a 28 or 35 mm lens. Again, I can't go mad on cost, so was hoping someone could recommend a nice lens too? Ideally Leica but third party is also an option. Is the M8 still worth a punt after 10 years? I know about the coffee stain lack of repairs, but otherwise it seems quite a nice camera. 10MP is enough as I rarely print larger than 8 x 10 and if I do, it will probably be a landscape from the X-T1. I fancy the Leica for holiday pics and travel to replace the X100s.

Any thoughts? Also, what is the going rate? I've seen a few in good nick for about £900 with warranty. Private seems similar on eBay?

Thanks,
Steve

The M8.2s did have an improved shutter to the original - less prone to failing. How common this is though I don't know. Personally I wouldn't worry too much about the coffee stain. Some say it can come and go again. The rear screen is pretty dire for reviewing images anyway. As long as you can access the menus, I wouldn't personally worry :)
I have a standard M8 and love it. I didn't think I would as I have always viewed Leicas as a film only option, but I've grown really fond of it. You will see a couple of pages back, me asking questions about one. As I'm sure you are already aware, the M8 is crop and M9 is full frame.
I'm using a Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35mm on mine. I've found it decent. Very classic rendering. It can be a bit poor however in terms of distortion. If you want something close to a 35mm Summicron then I would look towards the Carl Zeiss options. Remember you would need a UV/IR Cut Filter over your lens. I ran without one for a while - which is ok if you are shooting B+W but colour can be iffy.

It may be considered "outdated" by many in 2016 but I love the results from it.
I have a Fuji X-T10 with some lenses and mostly find that I shoot with the M8 unless I need something with good ISO, or want to some long exposures etc. The M8 isn't for everyone but I find it suits most of what I shoot. Compared to an X100S, you will find it a solid lump. That's no bad thing but just to keep in mind.

I'm actually pondering selling my M8, and even my Fuji X to put some cash towards an M9 - that's how much I've actually come to like it. Not everyone would agree on something like this.
Gear is a personal choice at the end of the day, and the eye behind the camera is the thing that makes the photo, but if you find something that works for you and your art, then stick with it.

You may get the M and hate it. My thoughts at the time were to take a punt and if I didn't like it, either return within 14 days or sell again and not really loose much/if any cash.

I agree with ruffmeister on the M8. I also have an original one which I bought used from Stephens in Manchester several years back and still love it. I like the fact that you can either use it for normal photography with IR cut filters, or swap to an IR-pass filter and do infra-red at handholdable shutter speeds! I wouldn't be able to do that if I upgraded to an M9 or newer. I've had an M6 for many years so already had the lenses for it. All my lenses are too oldto be 6-bit coded but that doesn't really bother me.

I think mpb currently has a m8 (the 1/8000 SS one) for £849... It would be good if someone bought it :)

Thanks for all your considered thoughts guys. I've had a slight change in plan, in that someone has offered me an M9, with a new sensor and 3K clicks for a very good price. Very, very tempted....

Thanks for all your considered thoughts guys. I've had a slight change in plan, in that someone has offered me an M9, with a new sensor and 3K clicks for a very good price. Very, very tempted....

I can see why you'd be tempted... Get a 50mm Cron on there and you'll be ready to go.

I'm still deliberating selling up the Fuji setup!

Well I decided to get the M9.. Now just need a lens... Will have to be a little cost effective! Not sure if 35 or 50 to be honest. I plan on using for days out and family holiday. 35 might be better, but I like 50mm... Just hard to get the whole family in a 50, especially when trying to show the image in context with location. What do you think?
The camera is in great condition for a six year old. Just back form Leica Germany last month with new sensor, finder adjustment etc. 2500 shutter actuations so hopefully some life in it yet! Now time to sell some gear and offset bankruptcy!

Well I decided to get the M9.. Now just need a lens... Will have to be a little cost effective! Not sure if 35 or 50 to be honest. I plan on using for days out and family holiday. 35 might be better, but I like 50mm... Just hard to get the whole family in a 50, especially when trying to show the image in context with location. What do you think?
The camera is in great condition for a six year old. Just back form Leica Germany last month with new sensor, finder adjustment etc. 2500 shutter actuations so hopefully some life in it yet! Now time to sell some gear and offset bankruptcy!

Excellent. Very pleased for you :) not to mention a tad jealous haha. I think an M9 will happen. I've really fallen for the M8.

I find 35 and 50 very different to work with.
I'm more of a 50mm guy. I found this when I had the X100 for a little while and I just couldn't gel with the focal length.
I'd say for what you want, the 35mm would be more suited. Voigtlander do a nice 28mm Ultron if you wanted wider than 35mm. I'd look to the Zeiss lenses if you want a 35 or 50. The Planar 50/2 is super sharp and very 3D like in rendering / colour pop. I sold mine in favour of the Cron as I just wanted something a touch less clinical (if that's the right word). I really rated it though - again, a personal choice.

While I use a Nokton 35 on the M8, I'd look to a Zeiss if I was to go for it again. For most of what I shoot it's good, but distortion has reared its head a few times.
I got it for its classic (what some call dodgy) rendering.

Good luck with the M9. Best to get one with the new sensor. Now they've finally fixed the issue of corrosion, I see the M9 as a great buy if you're after a digital rangefinder. Even if you get one used which then fails, Leica will still repair it.
That was what put me off in the first instance as people were shelling out £££s for new sensors.

Thanks for the advice. Looking at my pics I have a real mixture of 50 / 35, so a tough choice. And I use the 35 1.4 on the Fuji X a lot which is also similar to the 50 on FF. The M9 has the new corrosion free sensor fitted last month, so hopefully all is good there.. I'll have a look at the lenses you mention. Thanks again!

There's a nice looking Zeiss 35/2 in the Film & Conventional section of the classifieds at the moment (I have no connection with the seller). You could always crop after the shot to get the 50mm perspective but you can't go the other way round...

There's a nice looking Zeiss 35/2 in the Film & Conventional section of the classifieds at the moment (I have no connection with the seller). You could always crop after the shot to get the 50mm perspective but you can't go the other way round...

If I was after a 35mm again, then this would be the one I go for. The Biogon 2.8 is pretty good too.

Well, I've got a used Zeiss 50 f2 on route too! That's it for now. I couldn't decide between so went with both. I got them for a good price, so can always sell one!

Well, I've got a used Zeiss 50 f2 on route too! That's it for now. I couldn't decide between so went with both. I got them for a good price, so can always sell one!

The Zeiss is a nice lens. When is the M9 turning up?

You'll probably find you'll favour one over the other. Both will hold reasonable money. I wish you well with it.

L9990926.jpg

:)

After selling my Fuji X gear, it wasn't going to be long. Found one for a decent price with a new sensor and couldn't resist.
Have only shot a couple of things indoors to test it out but all looks good. Full frame feels great in such a small, light body. In comparison to the M8, it feels a lot more mature. Not that there is anything wrong with the M8 at all. I love shooting with it and it's what ended up getting me here!
Aside from being FF, the first thing I noticed was the quieter shutter (used in the M8.2 I believe) along with a dedicated ISO button and the option for uncompressed DNGs in camera. No more UVIR cut filters and lens coding built in. I haven't had a proper play yet but will do in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I've owned my M240 for about 2 years with a 35mm Summilux, which is a bit older at 21 years. They've both been dropped off at Leica Mayfair for a service as the infinity stop doesn't align properly with the rangefinder patch, whilst the lens is a bit wobbly in the middle section. Both will be sent to Germany.

I have no idea of the costing, but the estimated return date is sometime in September.. Good luck to me!

If you fancy knowing what a typical service is then just PM me or ask on here and i'll share whatever I receive.

Hi Folks,

I've owned my M240 for about 2 years with a 35mm Summilux, which is a bit older at 21 years. They've both been dropped off at Leica Mayfair for a service as the infinity stop doesn't align properly with the rangefinder patch, whilst the lens is a bit wobbly in the middle section. Both will be sent to Germany.

I have no idea of the costing, but the estimated return date is sometime in September.. Good luck to me!

If you fancy knowing what a typical service is then just PM me or ask on here and i'll share whatever I receive.

Hi Rich,

I would have thought that a rangefinder alignment would have been able to have been done at the store or somewhere like Red Dot Cameras or Aperture, or is it a bit more than that at fault?

Hopefully it's not too long for you.

Hi Rich,

I would have thought that a rangefinder alignment would have been able to have been done at the store or somewhere like Red Dot Cameras or Aperture, or is it a bit more than that at fault?

Hopefully it's not too long for you.
Hi Ruffmeister,

I wanted to take it to Leica predominantly due also to the shakey lens. I typically only use the combo together so presumed if the lens was to be sent away, then they may as well check out the camera and remove any dusty bits in the vf etc! I hadn't had it checked out since I bought a few years back grey imported, whilst living in Asia and it's been banged around a fair bit on my travels. They didn't offer to touch the camera in the leica store, rather they stated that they send most things to Germany (Specifically referencing my rangefinder calibration)- In future tho once it's come back i'd happily take it to reddotcameras (If only it was nearer my office)..

Cheers.

Hi Ruffmeister,

I wanted to take it to Leica predominantly due also to the shakey lens. I typically only use the combo together so presumed if the lens was to be sent away, then they may as well check out the camera and remove any dusty bits in the vf etc! I hadn't had it checked out since I bought a few years back grey imported, whilst living in Asia and it's been banged around a fair bit on my travels. They didn't offer to touch the camera in the leica store, rather they stated that they send most things to Germany (Specifically referencing my rangefinder calibration)- In future tho once it's come back i'd happily take it to reddotcameras (If only it was nearer my office)..

Cheers.

Aaaah I get you now. Red Dot or Aperture are pretty good. I've used them a couple of times although unfortunately don't live in London so it's either a special visit and make a day of it or post. Will hopefully not be a long wait.

Back