Official Talk Leica thread

These look great, Dan.

Love what you are doing with the SL. Seems you are bonding with it well.

Thanks! such a joy to use, I keep changing my mind about the 50mm 1.4 SL but I think i will go for it, if it produces similar to the 90-280mm since I'm so taken with that.

Today been working on a photo shoot in between processing images, one more to do then can create an image of four 'elements'

fire_earth_water.jpg

Thanks! such a joy to use, I keep changing my mind about the 50mm 1.4 SL but I think i will go for it, if it produces similar to the 90-280mm since I'm so taken with that.

Today been working on a photo shoot in between processing images, one more to do then can create an image of four 'elements'

View attachment 93719

That's great. That Lux does look pretty dreamy and made for the SL. I'm sure it won't be long :)

So the Leica M10 has been revealed! A quick first impressions from dpreview: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-m10-first-impressions-sample-images

A quick tech spec from the email I got from Leica Manchester:
  • 4mm thinner than it's predecessor Leica M (Typ 240)
  • ISO Setting dial on top plate, enables exposure values between ISO 100 - 50,000
  • Leaner Operating Concept with customisable favourite setting
  • Improved Viewfinder, 30% larger, 0.72x Magnification
  • New 24MP bespoke CMOS sensor
  • New Maestro II Processor
  • Specifically Sealed for a long working life
  • Connectivity with WIFI and New Leica M App
  • Focusing with Focus Peaking, use with additional Leica VISOFLEX
At £5600, I won't be jumping for one just yet - but it looks a nice piece of kit. Some nice subtle changes that will no doubt appeal.

So the Leica M10 has been revealed! A quick first impressions from dpreview: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/leica-m10-first-impressions-sample-images

A quick tech spec from the email I got from Leica Manchester:
  • 4mm thinner than it's predecessor Leica M (Typ 240)
  • ISO Setting dial on top plate, enables exposure values between ISO 100 - 50,000
  • Leaner Operating Concept with customisable favourite setting
  • Improved Viewfinder, 30% larger, 0.72x Magnification
  • New 24MP bespoke CMOS sensor
  • New Maestro II Processor
  • Specifically Sealed for a long working life
  • Connectivity with WIFI and New Leica M App
  • Focusing with Focus Peaking, use with additional Leica VISOFLEX
At £5600, I won't be jumping for one just yet - but it looks a nice piece of kit. Some nice subtle changes that will no doubt appeal.

I like that it's the same dimensions as my M6TTL. My M9 has alsways felt too thick.

I like that it's the same dimensions as my M6TTL. My M9 has alsways felt too thick.

I think that's often been one of the criticisms of the digital M's. I can see where you are coming from. Not that it's overly bothered me but you feel it when you switch.

The ISO wheel on the top is a nice touch too I think.

Bit of a random post... but at least it has a picture!!

I don't own a Leica, I shoot with a Fuji.

Last week Leica lent me a M240 and a 50 summilux (for a very brief amount of time) and I got my first chance to use a digital RF (my mrs has a couple of Canonet's floating round the house and I'm old enough to have spent half my photographic life with manual focus film SLRs, so it was more memory lane, rather than wtf is manual focus)

And, singing to the choir,

But damn it's a decent bit if kit!

Still going through the shots, but here's one just to give this contentless post a tiny bit of bass!!

So this is how Graffiti Dies... Not with a Bang, but a Wet Splat... by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Bit of a random post... but at least it has a picture!!

I don't own a Leica, I shoot with a Fuji.

Last week Leica lent me a M240 and a 50 summilux (for a very brief amount of time) and I got my first chance to use a digital RF (my mrs has a couple of Canonet's floating round the house and I'm old enough to have spent half my photographic life with manual focus film SLRs, so it was more memory lane, rather than wtf is manual focus)

And, singing to the choir,

But damn it's a decent bit if kit!

Still going through the shots, but here's one just to give this contentless post a tiny bit of bass!!

So this is how Graffiti Dies... Not with a Bang, but a Wet Splat... by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Nice one, Adam. It's easy to find many in the community saying "this camera can do this that and the other and is half the price of a Leica" until you actually use one. Great to hear that you gave one a shot.

I use an M alongside a 6D and they are both different beasts. Whenever I'm out with one camera and one lens, it will always be the M. It's just the most enjoyable.

Last edited:
Nice one, Adam. It's easy to find many in the community saying "this camera can do this that and the other and is half the price of a Leica" until you actually use one. Great to hear that you gave one a shot.

I use an M alongside a 6D and they are both different beasts. Whenever I'm out with one camera and one lens, it will always be the M. It's just the most enjoyable.

Thanks Dan,

I think it's easy for a consumer to get hung up on features they may never use, or the fact that one FF (or even APSC) CMOS sensor can be post processed to look much like another one, but there's more to a camera than that, it's about how it feels to use and and about it makes you feel to use it.

The Fuji's are often referred to as "rangefinders" but they're not really (IMO YMMV, although probably not in this thread :) )

That said, the Fujis are just as capable with framelines and seeing out of the frame as a mechanical RF, but of course the biggest difference is that when the RF is in focus it's like looking through a X-Pro/X100 when it's turned off!! There's nothing there in the VF except the scene, whereas the Fujis have little boxes, or the electronic RF thingamy

Of course the big score with the Fujis is the ease at which one can swap to an EVF for critical framing and focus, and of course being able to move the focus point around (even in OVF ) mode

So ultimately they offer quite different ways of working, with different strengths and weaknesses

Alas the cost is a bit (ok a lot!) prohibitive, a fact magnified by the fact that I'd struggle to deliver on certain client jobs with only an M, which would mean I could only own an M in conjucture with another camera...

...that said, my HUNCH is that when the M10 is readily available, combined with there's not a single M10 review that doesn't say how much better it is than the 240, then 240s won't be much more than mint M9s secondhand as people scamble to offload them to get the new one, that plus I could slum it with Zeiss glass (lol I can't believe I just typed that) as I'd only want a 50 and 35 means it might be doable...

Well no rush... the various models of M aren't going any where anytime soon!

Sold my 50mm 1.4 ASPH Leica-M today, so tomorrow I'll probably be placing an order for the 50mm 1.4 SL - unfortunately there's a wait on stock, so if anyone knows anywhere to get one quickly, let me know.

cheers

Sold my 50mm 1.4 ASPH Leica-M today, so tomorrow I'll probably be placing an order for the 50mm 1.4 SL - unfortunately there's a wait on stock, so if anyone knows anywhere to get one quickly, let me know.

cheers

From dpreview: "If you opt for the Summilux-SL 50mm F1.4 lens, which has staggeringly good optical performance, be prepared for staggeringly and frustratingly slow autofocus speeds."

From dpreview: "If you opt for the Summilux-SL 50mm F1.4 lens, which has staggeringly good optical performance, be prepared for staggeringly and frustratingly slow autofocus speeds."

I have heard, ordered one now hopefully be with me in next week or so!

Wow, for the price you'd expect it to be right up there :eek:

Haven't you already tried one out for yourself before ordering it? Seems like a heavy leap of faith!

I've never tried camera gear before buying, I don't see it like you do.

Worst case scenario is that I sell it, but since its the only fast 50mm lens on the Sl with af, not sure if I go back to manual focus..

Bought the 50mm 1.4 leica m for £1990 sold for £1900 cash in hand collection no selling fees 4 months later.. And only because I'm too impatient to wait for a better deal. Fair rental price I'd say :)

The demand for the 50mm outstrips supply and the likes if the leica Q went up in price by about £600. When I buy a lens money is not gone, it's just changed form!

Fair enough. Like you say, we're different people. If I was spending £4K on a lens that a review suggests is painfully slow to focus (although I'm sure the output is excellent), I'd like to try it first even if just to prove the review wrong to myself. Good luck to you though, I'm sure the results will be great.

Fair enough. Like you say, we're different people. If I was spending £4K on a lens that a review suggests is painfully slow to focus (although I'm sure the output is excellent), I'd like to try it first even if just to prove the review wrong to myself. Good luck to you though, I'm sure the results will be great.

The Canon 85mm 1.2 Ii Usm is pretty slow, but it was accurate and I loved that lens..

Only time will tell if I find it acceptable. If I can get through a wedding without cursing it

I have an M10 and its LOVELY.

Must go take some pics with it rather than stroking it.

Nice one! Congratulations. It looks like they've done a good job with it.

cheers

Be good to see how you find it. I'm sure you will work wonders with it. As you say, worst case scenario is you sell it. Leica stuff seems to hold value really well - if anything, some things increase in value. I've noticed used M8's and also M9's creeping up a little in value recently - especially on 'the bay'. Not to mention film M's too.

From retailers not knowing when they get stock, to those saying 8 weeks and wanting 10% deposit. I was suggested a retailer (Richard Caplan) on a Leica forum, who I placed the order with Saturday and they dispatched it today :)

I have an M10 and its LOVELY.

Must go take some pics with it rather than stroking it.

I realise it's a big upgrade from the 240 in terms of ISO and simplicity, but how was the 240 really?

Reading some of the M10 reviewers comments on the 240, you'd think that the 240 was actually a terrible camera even the sites that praised the 240 to begin with seem to have changed their tune...

What's an honest 240 opinion if you don't mind me asking?

The M240 is superb. Really really good camera that I loved using. Compared to today's DSLRs, the ISO lets it down a little, but it's right up there in terms of usability and enjoyment. Prices are dropping so they will make an extremely good 2nd hand buy.

My M10 review. It is fantastic.

I0000umSHAdgoTLo.jpg

I realise it's a big upgrade from the 240 in terms of ISO and simplicity, but how was the 240 really?

Reading some of the M10 reviewers comments on the 240, you'd think that the 240 was actually a terrible camera even the sites that praised the 240 to begin with seem to have changed their tune...

What's an honest 240 opinion if you don't mind me asking?
In a word, 'excellent'. Like all cameras it has its pros and cons but hasn't suddenly become a rubbish camera because the M10 is released. Although I was initially surprised by its bulk and weight I found it ideal for me. I cannot get on with lightweight cameras. Coming from Nikons, of which I have a few, the rangefinder was different but I soon got used to it and now really enjoy using the camera, which probably gets used far more than my D750 etc. although it's still a case of horses for courses. I'm certainly not planning to trade the M240 in for an M10, but have taken a shine to the Monochrome as an addition to my collection.

Back