Official Talk Leica thread

I have, it felt like I selling a limb... I'm glad I came around.

I thought, perhaps, that my best shots are representative of my worth, and I could be missing out on those most dynamic and emotional shots due to the odd AF trouble..

I shot a wedding on Saturday, and rarely had an issue, I got plenty of shots I enjoyed, that the odd few I missed didn't matter.. and I would sorely miss the image quality, I thought about my website which current only has Leica Q and Leica SL image, and how I would feel adding non Leica stuff... :D

I'm looking forward to future glass, 35mm f2, 75mm f2 - potential to be faster focusing, they have the wide aperture and it'll be down to how fast the glass moves.
Then maybe the Leica SL 2 will have contrast and phase detection AF ;)

That's good to hear. Arguably could you not miss the odd shot with an SLR or other mirrorless system? I guess it's easy to see something in the issue though. I felt more confident with an SLR for shooting for others than I did my X-T.

No doubt the SL will have good return when the follow up comes out :)

You have some great work from the SL and I can't see you having much trouble

That's good to hear. Arguably could you not miss the odd shot with an SLR or other mirrorless system?

Well I'm not sure, because Fuji make the best cameras since ever..

But otherwise I have found C-AF to be the ultimate in keeping focus on a moving subject, so that you are ready to take the photograph the instant the composition or emotion is right.. and most mirrorless suck at C-AF compared to DSLR, I've not tried the A7RII and there's the A9 coming out. I feel like any mirrorless is already a compromise on your ability to capture certain images in certain situations, things come down to luck instead of the photographers decisive moment.

I forget to add,

You can always shoot at narrower apertures which means you will move than likely capture the action. But I want all this with wide apertures and a narrow depth of field... which is asking a lot more..

Last edited:
Well I'm not sure, because Fuji make the best cameras since ever..

But otherwise I have found C-AF to be the ultimate in keeping focus on a moving subject, so that you are ready to take the photograph the instant the composition or emotion is right.. and most mirrorless suck at C-AF compared to DSLR, I've not tried the A7RII and there's the A9 coming out. I feel like any mirrorless is already a compromise on your ability to capture certain images in certain situations, things come down to luck instead of the photographers decisive moment.

Oh yeah I forgot about that haha

The A7RII from what I gather is very highly regarded. The A9 looks insane.
I think it's safe to say they've come on a lot since day 1 but there are compromises as you say. Stick with the SL a bit longer and see from there :)

And just for a little balance :D

Cameras with mirrors have their compromises and can get in the way of the photographer too. I shot with film including SLR's for over 30 years but I'm now a convert to mirrorless and you'd have to put a gun to my head to make me change back to a DSLR or RF. Choosing the best tool for you is the key.

And just for a little balance :D

Cameras with mirrors have their compromises and can get in the way of the photographer too. I shot with film including SLR's for over 30 years but I'm now a convert to mirrorless and you'd have to put a gun to my head to make me change back to a DSLR or RF. Choosing the best tool for you is the key.

I'm not against Mirrorless. Having travelled a bit recently, I do miss the weight of my X-T and a couple of lenses I must admit, but personally feel more confident with an SLR. I wouldn't say the 6D was heavy unless you're using a zoom.

If I'm using a prime lens then the M or X100 gets most of the action. Both of which are simply great to use.

I agree though; choosing the best tool for you is key. There is no Canon V Nikon, Mirrorless V SLR, Film V Digital IMO

Last edited:
Read a rumor on a new SL firmware 3.0

"It will be available end of this month, the new firmware will write 35% faster to SD Card, Autofocus further optimised, ability to store DNG and JPG files in different SD cards and new customisation options."

cool.

After selling my original Q last year I've just bought the titanium version as I spotted it at a good price.

The current exchange rate means it's "only" cost $5000NZD in the UK and I sold my old one for $6000 so I told the missus that it's almost like I've made $1000 ;)

Tried the X100F for a couple of months and it's great but the Q is just a bit special so I've sold a few bits to make way.

My first post to a photography forum. Always been keen on photography and have travelled fairly widely. Started with an Olympus Trip 35, various film and digital SLRs and after lugging a sack of kit around western USA 6 or 7 years ago bought a used M9 and Zeiss 50/f2. What a pleasure. Sold it after I bought a Q on launch day and also bought an MM1. Accidentally bought a titanium M7 that was a steal and love it (as does my son, who has a Bessa). Just picked up an M10 and don't know whether to sell the MM1. Now have a range of Leica M lenses, and the Zeiss 21/f2.8. Also picked up a very cheap used A7R that I wanted for a safari (hence the R lenses), the M10 can do that better so that will be going I suspect.

Here's a couple of recent ones I like, MM and Q

28820941001_b6c080af22_c.jpg

20537396700_fb95bf6891_c.jpg

Maybe one from closer to home.

32174588083_1512925866_c.jpg

Last edited:
Enjoying the M10 as well.
Courtyard at Borgos Cathedral (Voightlander 15 Mk III) and Tono Perez (50 Lux) master chef at the Atrio Caceres Restaurant Hotel.

M1000619-2.jpg M1000961.jpg

I currently have the Leica Q and SL and I've been interested in the M10 - but if I were to get it any time soon, then I'd need to consider changing my setup to pay for it.

@Tobers was very kind to lend me the use of his M10 for the ceremony of a wedding, for which I am second photographer, on Saturday just gone.

Tobers and I turned up early and he took me through the camera, and I had some practice with it, though it's not the first time I've used it either.

I used full manual, and I found myself taking a test shot or checking the EV when entering a new room, to speed up the process of getting the exposure I wanted - a lot of the test shots were taken whilst walking, looking into the rangefinder and balancing the arrows seemed like it was going to slow me down.

The ceremony room was pretty dark, and I used ISO 1600, 1.4 and 1/60th shutter speed - for which I have regret. 1/60th is just too slow for close up laughing, as soon as heads move around it's blurred. So whilst I had to manual focus, I also challenged myself with a relatively slow shutter speed too.

Whilst the M10, by all accounts is a robust camera, when I don't own it - for all I care it's made of china. Lens changes took longer than they probably should, because of the sheer amount of care I took.

The ceremony wasn't particularly long, and it was decided for me to get some shots from the balcony above, it was a short elevator journey and a long walk around the top - I shot the bride walking down the aisle by the time I got down, they were exchanging rings. So i didn't get the time I wanted to shoot more thoughtfully composed shots, not to mention super creaky floorboards at the back...

The rendering of the camera/lenses are as lovely as I'd expect and hope, providing I get the shot in focus!

After the ceremony I switched back to my Leica Q and SL - and certainly had a new appreciation for the easy of which I could get in focus shots of moments as they occur. Though I'm not put off at all by the M10, focusing is something I'd need to practice. It's hard to give final thoughts, when it's still so mixed - and the puppy kept us awake all night, and I'm super tired right now..

Here's a selection of photos from the M10, i posted a larger set here https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topi...-live-music-m10-lenses-and-second-body/page-3

M10 Wedding by dancook1982, on Flickr

I've spent a couple of weeks fairly intensive touring with M10 and Q. Took lots of lenses (Voight 15mm, Zeiss 21, 35 Cron, 50 Lux, 135 ASPH), although rarely carried more than 2. I must admit that I still love the Q for walk-around, but the M10 is a joy to use and gets consistently good results.

I've spent a couple of weeks fairly intensive touring with M10 and Q. Took lots of lenses (Voight 15mm, Zeiss 21, 35 Cron, 50 Lux, 135 ASPH), although rarely carried more than 2. I must admit that I still love the Q for walk-around, but the M10 is a joy to use and gets consistently good results.

Ordered 24mm 1.4 asph, 50mm 1.4 asph, 90mm 2.0 asph - thinking of getting a 28mm 2.8 elmarit if I can find a good used price - for some street photography zone focusing.

I've always been fond of my Q

getting interested in a Leica now, what are the recommendations if any regarding a first Leica?
a friend recommended an M9 with a Zeiss or Voightlander 35mm

Last edited:
getting interested in a Leica now, what are the recommendations if any regarding a first Leica?

I couldn't tell you, but the M9 is meant to have nice colours, though high-ISO handling isn't great - I considered it many a time :)

That rather depends on the available budget! The M8 is much maligned but that makes it cheap (by Leica standards) and it's actually not that bad, and with a 1.3 crop has a larger sensor than any APS-C camera. The M9 is basically the same camera with a full-frame sensor, but has had issues with a sensor fault that requires Leica to replace it. The M240 is a big step ahead of the M9 but so's the price, and the M10 would be more expensive again but lacks the video capability of the 240. There's a few esoteric variations in between (does mono-only float your boat?).

I couldn't tell you, but the M9 is meant to have nice colours, though high-ISO handling isn't great - I considered it many a time :)
If high-ISO is a requirement maybe Leica isn't the ideal way to go, although the M10 is supposed to be reasonable.

That rather depends on the available budget! The M8 is much maligned but that makes it cheap (by Leica standards) and it's actually not that bad, and with a 1.3 crop has a larger sensor than any APS-C camera. The M9 is basically the same camera with a full-frame sensor, but has had issues with a sensor fault that requires Leica to replace it. The M240 is a big step ahead of the M9 but so's the price, and the M10 would be more expensive again but lacks the video capability of the 240. There's a few esoteric variations in between (does mono-only float your boat?).

+1 on the M8. Loved mine when I had it. Was capable of some lovely results despite some quirks. Eventually moved it on for the M9 and couldn't justify keeping both. The M9 is that little bit more refined IMO (FF, less susceptible to failure and slightly better ISO). I agree that the sensor can go bad but there are several around now with the sensor replaced with the new variant.

Ordered 24mm 1.4 asph, 50mm 1.4 asph, 90mm 2.0 asph - thinking of getting a 28mm 2.8 elmarit if I can find a good used price - for some street photography zone focusing.

I've always been fond of my Q

I have a cleaned and recallibated 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. Absolutely love the size and image quality. A real bargain. That said, you don't seem to be on a budget.
Why the 28 if you have the Q?

I have a cleaned and recallibated 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit. Absolutely love the size and image quality. A real bargain. That said, you don't seem to be on a budget.
Why the 28 if you have the Q?

I want to get used to one body, and doing everything with the M10.

It'd be great if I could just live with the M10, but I've got the Q and SL still there to fall back on, then after some time to get used to the M10 - decide what I prefer using.

I wasn't going to get the 28mm 2.8, but i found it used for £1100 - and it would encourage me to go do some street

Last edited:
I borrowed one of those and loved the images (the second one at 978 above was with it). Borrowed as have a black one on order, about 100g lighter than the silver version.

I didn't realise silver was heavier until after I ordered, but happy with silver will go nice with silver m body

Back