Official Talk Leica thread

May I chip in please?
I'm a strictly hobby photographer who uses DSLRs as well as enjoying playing with 645 MF and 35mm SLR and rangefinder cameras. I seem to play with things and keep them or move them on depending whether I enjoy the ergonomics involved.
I'm at the point of thinking "Leica... what's all that about?"
I've worked through the preceding pages of this thread and, frankly, find myself no wiser on why I should expose myself to Leica photography at what would not be a modest outlay: is that it? Handmade and therefore better? More expensive and therefore better? Cultish and therefore better?
Please guys, I'm neither taking sides nor picking a fight but I'm genuinely trying to make sense of why I should or should not give the red dot a try.

If you are thinking digital then the Leica is the only current digital rangefinder isn't it? So if you really want a manual focus digital rangefinder that is the only choice. You also get a great sensor and even greater lenses.

If using a film Leica I would imagine the differences pretty much go down to the lenses.

(just guessing as have never owned one!)

May I chip in please?
I'm a strictly hobby photographer who uses DSLRs as well as enjoying playing with 645 MF and 35mm SLR and rangefinder cameras. I seem to play with things and keep them or move them on depending whether I enjoy the ergonomics involved.
I'm at the point of thinking "Leica... what's all that about?"
I've worked through the preceding pages of this thread and, frankly, find myself no wiser on why I should expose myself to Leica photography at what would not be a modest outlay: is that it? Handmade and therefore better? More expensive and therefore better? Cultish and therefore better?
Please guys, I'm neither taking sides nor picking a fight but I'm genuinely trying to make sense of why I should or should not give the red dot a try.

I think you've nailed things pretty well (y)

There is nothing about the images that make Leica standout.

Yes, they are built like a tank, but do you need that kind of build quality? Yes, they are heavy, but does that make them any better? The thing that makes me enjoy it is the pace at which it forces me to work, that it's manual focus, has very limited options / set-up features, hence so comforting in knowing that I don't need to fiddle with too many options; just work on the composition, exposure and focus.

I am planning to put the M9 & 35/2 head-to-head against the workhorse Nikon D40 with a 35/2 AF-D, that's £6000 vs £400. I'll make sure to post the results to see how, if any, difference can be picked up.

One thing that comes from shooting with a Leica, are sexy looks from passer-by who recognise the brand as the RR of camera. That does add a fuzzy warm feeling to a hugely inflated ego that's further boosted by materialistic materials.

Disclaimer: Those who love the M9, please don't chew my rear-end for this, I use an M9 and love the experience while also don't see the point other than for the pleasure of the experience .. besides, this is just my opinion

Last edited:
As a one-time owner of an M9 (and miss it incredibly), the main difference in my experience was the picture taking process and how engaged you feel with the camera. The Leica's very well thought out controls and interfaces make it an extremely engaging camera to use, more so than any other I've used.

As it happens, many of my most memorabel pictures were taken with my M9. They are memorable partly because of the sheer clarity and quality of the images, but also because I felt so involved in the process of taking the pictures.

Still - expensive stuff if you're not earning money from the camera itself. I sold mine as I couldn't keep it, and my sports gear, and get a new motorbike.

Oh - and I like the look of the new M camera. Very interesting indeed. I'll wait to see what the image quality looks like with that new sensor, and will use the intervening time to start saving.

Getting a new 21mm Summilux when I get off the rig this time, and going on a photo trip to North Vietnam to try it out.......cant wait

What made you go for the 21 Lux? Not sure about this new Leica M (M10) camera, seems to have bloated it right up. Shooting video and GPS or giant R lenses on it and EVFs puts me off it a bit.

What made you go for the 21 Lux? .
My thinking is, there will be the day when I need the extra light capabilities of the Summilux and would kick myself for not getting it.
I am also used to walking around with a D3s and 70/200mm so the 21mm Summilux aint going to hurt me...........just the cost:LOL::LOL:

Yeah it's a pricey piece of glass alright. The 21mm SEM from what I've seen is the 21mm to get if you are using it for landscapes, it outperforms the Lux, but you lose the speed of the 1.4 vs 3.4 which could be handy. The new live view on the M10 could be handy, but they need to change that awful silver dial on the black version.

I'd like to trade all my Canon (5DMKIII) gear for an M9 and lens. Anyone interested?

Hi , I shoot with a M8 and M6 with a bunch of old lenses only in black and white.
My dream camera will be the monochrome but I think the M9 when they start to go below 3000 pound will be my next purchase .
I will keep the M8 as I find it amazing to shoot B&w.

fred2511 said:
Hi , I shoot with a M8 and M6 with a bunch of old lenses only in black and white.
My dream camera will be the monochrome but I think the M9 when they start to go below 3000 pound will be my next purchase .
I will keep the M8 as I find it amazing to shoot B&w.

They are already at or below that from red dot...

Getting a new 21mm Summilux when I get off the rig in 2 1/2 weeks time, cant wait to try this new puppy out:):)

I have always chosen Zeiss lenses because they are more affordable and in a few cases of similar or even better quality. Picture quality wise that is, as mechanically Leica seems to be superior to all other manufacturers. An exception is possibly the Contarex lenses (got a nice 50mm lens from their range :)).
I have used a few Leica R lenses, but again they command higher prices and I chose to swap them for Zeiss eventually.
In short, if and when I become rich I will not hesitate to try Leica M lenses!
Not sure of their digital cameras though, the sony mirrorless are becoming better every year - I bought their first and least expensive Nex-3 upon release to use with the lovely COntax G rangefinder lenses.

I think you will be struggling with that one mate:)

It seems not.(y)

Struggling is an understatement!!

Not really.(y)

If you don't ask you don't get.

Many thanks to Laudrup for the trade. I have been out and purchased a couple of lenses to go with my new M9 and 50/1.4 ASPH Lux. Looking forward to getting back into rangefinding.

I had an M9 before and sold it to buy Canon gear; what a mistake. I was unable to get on with all the EOS buttons and menus, and the weight of the lenses was just too much.

A few shots with the new 21mm Summilux
1/.
melacaoct1220120009edit.jpg

2/.
melacaoct1220120043edit.jpg

3/.
melacaoct1220120143.jpg

4/.
melacaoct1220120242edit.jpg

5/.
melacaoct1220120266edit.jpg

Two weeks ago I put my name down for a new M from the Leica store in Scotland and I am lead to believe I should get it around the end of the first quarter 2013. I have also ordered the EVF and was thinking of getting the muliti function hand grip but I don’t know if I like the look of it……….how important do you think it is to not have one??
I have also asked for the R Adapter as I will try and buy a new/used Leica R-16mm Fisheye when I am in Hong Kong for Christmas. A good friend of mine has a fisheye on his D3s and he has captured some amazing pictures with it and I am hoping to do the same.
Is there anything else that I should get with the New M ??

Guy’s
I already have a M9-P and planning to get a new M in the New Year. My question is when I go out shooting now, I sometimes take my D800e with me hanging on a Black Rapid R7 strap and the M9 around my neck but when I get the new M, my plan will be to shoot Leica only so I was wondering what will be the best way to carry two M cameras at the same time (one with a 21mm and the other with say a 90mm attached)………………………….. thoughts ideas????

Neil, just curious, what is it in the M that makes you want to get it?

I've been contemplating replacing the M9 with the M, purely for the higher ISO capabilities; but not too sure if that's a good enough reason, or if the higher ISO is anything worth considering (image quality wise) :thinking: :shrug:

Neil, just curious, what is it in the M that makes you want to get it?

I've been contemplating replacing the M9 with the M, purely for the higher ISO capabilities; but not too sure if that's a good enough reason, or if the higher ISO is anything worth considering (image quality wise) :thinking: :shrug:
The Focus picking or wharever it is they call it...............especially with the longer lenses.......plus its new I just like new things if and when I can afford them...................March gives me 4 months to save up:)

Higher ISO, more megapixels, ability to use R lenses above 135mm and live view are the big draw for me. I still don't think 24MP is enough though after using the D800.

Higher ISO <snip>

(y)

<snip> more megapixels <snip>

:thumbsdown:

<snip> ability to use R lenses above 135mm <snip>

(y)

<snip> live view <snip>

(y)

<snip> I still don't think 24MP is enough though after using the D800.

:LOL: ... get the Hasselblad H5D 200 Multi-shot, that should quench your appetite for more MP, I think it goes up to 200 :wacky:; personally, I opted to keep my D3x / M9 and get an Aston Martin instead!

And the answer is yes! I now have a lovely M9! ;)

Welcome back (y)

Just so you know, your initial thread on your M9 experience was a contributor to me making up my mind to get the M9 ... and now contemplating moving onto the M!

Wail said:
Welcome back (y)

Just so you know, your initial thread on your M9 experience was a contributor to me making up my mind to get the M9 ... and now contemplating moving onto the M!

I think you might think I am tobers! I have an m6 but this is my first digital m.

Back