Official Talk Leica thread

I think you might think I am tobers! I have an m6 but this is my first digital m.

Ops! :bang::bang::bang:

Still, welcome to the world of M9 :love:

I'd wait anyway until Leica has ironed out the niggles, but it does interest me having had an M9. Mixed messages about the CMOS sensor which doesn't fill me with confidence. Are you going to go for one?

I'm definitely having one when they have worked a few of the bugs out.

In the interim your/my M9 is working beautifully. I have put a few pics on Flickr - devonleica - if you want a gander at my results to date.

Had a look, nice pics. If Leica did an M with 40MP I'd probably go for it, but having a D800 just now and some nice glass it wouldn't be worth my while. I'd maybe get an MM or even an old M8 just to keep that rangefinder feel that I like.

The built up M240 with grip, viewfinder and R lens looks so stupid that it negates any point of getting an M. I might change my mind on it all, but even the look of the new one with the silver control,button does nothing for me.

I will be sticking with my M9. If I were to get another digital Leica it would be the MM!

I'm a little bit in agreement with both of you on this one. The D800 is classy bit of kit and if it wasn't so heavy (with the lenses etc) I'd have one myself.

The M9 is such a delight to use, and inspires such confidence, is so simple, and provides magnificent images, that it would be hard to let go.

So, I'll keep it and add the M240. If that's no good there is always TP;)

I'm a little bit in agreement with both of you on this one. The D800 is classy bit of kit and if it wasn't so heavy (with the lenses etc) I'd have one myself.

The M9 is such a delight to use, and inspires such confidence, is so simple, and provides magnificent images, that it would be hard to let go.

So, I'll keep it and add the M240. If that's no good there is always TP;)

Have to be careful admitting you own Leicas on TP- some people get antsy that you aren't using a "proper" camera and tell you that you have wasted all your money! ;)

I'm happy to admit owning Leicas. As an old fella I could care less what others thought. For me it is their loss. I've owned all the Canons and the Nikons, and all of the best lenses made for them, and I still go back to the Leica.

As for wasting money; that's probably true, but it is my money.

I'm happy to admit owning Leicas. As an old fella I could care less what others thought. For me it is their loss. I've owned all the Canons and the Nikons, and all of the best lenses made for them, and I still go back to the Leica.

As for wasting money; that's probably true, but it is my money.

We are secure in our camera choices, others are not! And even if we have wasted our money we would get the vast majority of it back if we wanted to sell up. Not that I would!

I imagine I'm similar to other camera users in that if I get used to a certain system I stay with it. I wish I hadn't sold my M8 though; that was a great camera.

I imagine I'm similar to other camera users in that if I get used to a certain system I stay with it. I wish I hadn't sold my M8 though; that was a great camera.

I have had Canon cameras since I got into photography- 300D, 40D and now 7D (although that is now only really used for wildlife). I came to Leica via film cameras- Oly OM2-SP, Contax G2 and now an M6. I fell in love with the M6 and the lenses, the pictures that I produce I just love the look of. The simple progression was then to the M9- it is my most used camera now and I just love the thing. It has it's quirks but it feels right in my hand and the look of the pictures is wonderful- even if my photography skills are not! ;)

I agree with the M9 having quirks, but that is part of it's charm. The use of Leicas allows an increase in photographic knowledge as you become more involved in the photo process.

I am in danger of believing my own rhetoric here but who cares?

I agree with the M9 having quirks, but that is part of it's charm. The use of Leicas allows an increase in photographic knowledge as you become more involved in the photo process.

I am in danger of believing my own rhetoric here but who cares?

It is because it is the antethesis of modern DLSR photography. You use a ring on the lens to set aperture, a dial on the body to get the shutter speed and the ISO using a button. You focus and then shoot when the composition is right. No 3000 point af, there are not 20 different metering modes and no 15 button combos to get what you want.

Rhetoric perhaps but fun never the less!

M9 sold now and replaced with Monochrom. Nobody on here to chat with about this unique camera. Sad.

I think Marac is in the process of getting one. The Leica forum has a lot of users of it as you'd expect. Looking at the MM vs the D800 in black and white I preferred the D800 files. They looked crisper to me which pretty much killed off the MM desire. A 36 or 40+mp sensor and I'd have bitten.

On Leica in general the new M Type 240 seems to have the strap lugs falling off of all things and they are getting recalled. Seems stupid to announce it so long ago and still they can't get something pretty simple right.

I think Marac has one now. I went to Clifton Cameras to look at the M demo they have there. Tried it out with my own SD card. Pix were really really average. To me not as deep colour as the M9. Also loads of useless extras - video, live view, EVF. The whole thing just felt wrong. Don't need all that rubbish. Seems like a half arsed attempt at a camera. Also, by the time I could get one it'll be more years out of date than it is now.

So I went back back and bought the MM. Pure photography.

(These are my views and opinions and they may be wrong, but they'll still be mine)

By the way, I have a D800E and the images are not as detailed, or as well toned, as the monochrome for all those extra pixels.

Last edited:
What glass have you got on the D800?

14-24. 24-70, 70-200 VRII, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 105DC.

Nice set of lenses. I've got the Zeiss 21, Nikon 35 1.4G, 60D, 85 1.8G and the 200 f/2. Definitely try one of the top Zeiss lenses on the D800, truly excellent.

Looking forward to some MM pics from you and Marac though, there's something about the Leicas that I just find so engaging and rewarding to shoot with compared to the D800.

Here's my first shot. Taken this afternoon on the way to the pub. MM with 35/2 Zeiss Biogon.

8688542093_7b32dee0fc_b.jpg

Thanks.

Lightroom, then SFX with fine art setting, tweaked for mid tone contrast. Simples.

I'm sure you'll be wanting one, and soon. Pure and simple, real photography.

I get that Leica is good gear but it seems to be absolutely, positively hideously over priced.

Seems more a prestige / brand thing to me!

How many actual professional photographers use them?

I get that Leica is good gear but it seems to be absolutely, positively hideously over priced.

Seems more a prestige / brand thing to me!

How many actual professional photographers use them?

There are many hundreds of pros using Leica cameras including myself. Check using Google if you have an interest.

You are right, they are vastly overpriced, but there is nothing like them out there.

As for your brand/prestige thing, maybe you're right - you are entitled to an opinion, but who really cares.

I, like all pros, use the tool for the job and there are times when the Leica is a far more appropriate tool than the Nikon 800E, the Canon 1DX, the Hassy or the Ebony.

I was supposed to pick up my M240 this past Thursday, but as has been indicated these have been recalled. I am not too sure if this is a good thing, as I don't see much improvement in the M240 over the M9; personally, I wanted the extra 1.5 stops in better ISO performance.

That said, yesterday, before I headed back to Saudi I was at Selfridges and they have in stock the new M240 and even got the 35/1.4 and the 50/.95 as well ... so tempted to go for that sexy lens. I tried it on my M9 and what a sexy beast that lens is.

I will stick with my M9 and in all honesty I can't fault it one single bit (y)

I had no complaints about my M9 at all in the three years I owned it. It did the job every time and the images were always spectacular. I'm not convinced enough about the new M. It's not an improvement over the M9 for me.

By the way as an ex-Jeddah chap myself I can say I wish I'd had the M9 when I lived there.

Think about it. The ME costs about the same as a Nikon D4 or a Canon 1DX but is a lifestyle camera not just a bit of Jap plastic.

Think about it. The ME costs about the same as a Nikon D4 or a Canon 1DX but is a lifestyle camera not just a bit of Jap plastic.

I'd like to use one to see what the fuss is about lol. More so use the lenses! I can imagine it is built very nicely.

You'll find you get more involved in the process of photography. It becomes much more enjoyable. But it is expensive. Best to buy a bit at a time over many years.

Tip: if you go this route never, ever, sell a lens.

You'll find you get more involved in the process of photography. It becomes much more enjoyable. But it is expensive. Best to buy a bit at a time over many years.

Tip: if you go this route never, ever, sell a lens.

What's your favourite lens? I'd love to shoot with the noct! Images from that are pure dreamy. Bokehlicious!!

Favourite lens is the 50 Lux ASPH. Easier to focus than the Noctilux, which is a difficult lens for everyday use. The 50 Lux has the same dreamy bokeh but is just perfect to use.

I also love the Zeiss Biogon ZM 25/2.8. So sharp it cuts. Not particularly expensive either.

You should try the sigma 35mm 1.4 on your D800. Never seen a lens so sharp and detailed even wide open at 1.4

Any Northern Ireland togs that have a Leica fancy giving me a demo lol

Back