Official Talk Leica thread

I had the 50 Lux ASPH, it was very nice if somewhat too clinical at times. I tried the f/1 Noctilux on the M9 and it had a lovely signature, not a perfect lens, but it had character. That's the problem I'm finding with modern Nikon lenses, they lack character and that pop you get from Leica which is why I'm weighing up the Zeiss 100 or 135APO.

I tried to recreate the Leica look when I bought the rare Nikon 58mm f/1.2 Noct which rendered beautifully. I got rid of it ultimately as the manual focusing on the D800 is a pain. Leitaxing R lenses could be a possible, but the price of the good ones has went through the roof due to the new M.

I'm gonna bring it down a notch lol I think the sigma 85 1.4 is the best lens I have used for bokeh and dreaminess!

Although would like to try some tasty leica glass at some point.

It is nice, I have one and rate it higher than the Siggy 50mm f1.4.

Not into Leica myself. I've had other RF's and have moved on. At the size I view and print (and not everyone prints these days, some people never do...) I've pretrty much decided that almost anything is good enough :D

Think about it. The ME costs about the same as a Nikon D4 or a Canon 1DX but is a lifestyle camera not just a bit of Jap plastic.

Given the choice I would go for a Leica as it fits my 'lifestyle' and I just like them and no way do I need something like a D4, however dismissing a D4 as "a bit of Jap plastic" is completely missing the point of the camera and it features and functions.
A Leica costs a lot because it does, if it is worth paying for then buy one, if it isn't then walk on - no need to compare what else you could buy with the same money.

Plus there is nothing wrong with it being "Jap" and I don't believe it is plastic :)

Given the choice I would go for a Leica as it fits my 'lifestyle' and I just like them and no way do I need something like a D4, however dismissing a D4 as "a bit of Jap plastic" is completely missing the point of the camera and it features and functions.
A Leica costs a lot because it does, if it is worth paying for then buy one, if it isn't then walk on - no need to compare what else you could buy with the same money.

Plus there is nothing wrong with it being "Jap" and I don't believe it is plastic :)

My use of the term Jap Plastic was to make a clear point, not to be derogatory about the Japanese or Plastic. I have several Nikons and Canons and I know they are magnesium bodied.

They have great features and they do the job well but in a way that seems remote from the art of photography. For one thing they are massive and heavy - this alone means that you don't carry them with you. The lenses require a huge bag - more difficulty.

It is said that the best camera is the one you have with you. It's not likely to be a Canikon monster when you're down at the pub.

I have said that the Leica gear costs a lot but only in the same way a Harley costs more than a Yamaha but does exactly the same job. It's down to choice. If you have the money you can spend it in any way you choose.

I'm starting to sound like a defender of the Leica faith, close to being a Leica fanboy, and I'm not. If I can find something that will do the job better and fit my lifestyle I'll be the first in the queue.

The new Fuji cameras look quite good! Just need them to incorporate a full frame sensor.

I know what you mean about the nikons being big, popped into the bar in Newcastle for lunch and had the D800 over the shoulder and got looked at like I had 2 heads lol

My use of the term Jap Plastic was to make a clear point, not to be derogatory about the Japanese or Plastic.

I'm starting to sound like a defender of the Leica faith, close to being a Leica fanboy, and I'm not. .

Agree with what you are saying re price and so on, I just thought the term Jap plastic was a bit of a derogatory way of making a point but fair enough.

And nothing wrong with defending things and giving reasons why they suit you personally and it doesn't make you a fan boy. I get enough of that just because I happen to find the Apple hardware and OS' to suit me best!

They have great features and they do the job well but in a way that seems remote from the art of photography.

I don't think it's remote from photography I think it's just a different kind of photography.

A DSLR will take any picture that a Leica will take and it'll take pictures that a Leica (or any other traditional RF) will struggle or even be unable to take. The different ways in which you alter the settings and take the shot don't make it more remote from photography they just make it different.

I do get what Leica ownership is about and for me it would be about a manual RF experience with a tactile product but for me the raison d'etre for RF's diminished with the arrival of mirrorless digital cameras with larger than "compact" sensors and I see no reason to go back. I also see no reason to be dismissive of DSLR's or any other type of camera or to in any way denigrate where HQ is based.

I do get what Leica ownership is about and for me it would be about a manual RF experience with a tactile product but for me the raison d'etre for RF's diminished with the arrival of mirrorless digital cameras.

I find that part of the tactile experience of manually focusing using a through the viewfinder indicator is completely missing from DSLRs, CPCs and the like.

I have only been interested in cameras for a couple of years but the nicest one to use was an OM10 I bought for £20. I actually enjoyed the process of manually focusing even though I accept modern aufo focus makes it pretty uneccessary and the whole feel of using the camera was nicer. I have never used a Leica but I imagine it would be closer to that feeling.

Everything about the mirrorless camera is the same as a DSLR for me, unengaging, feels like you're pointing a computer at something, plasticky. The M9 was the opposite of that. If I was to go back to Leica I'd like an S2 or if Leica release a 40mp Type 340 in future or dream of dreams if Sigma did them a full frame Foveon sensor.

Mike,

Some nice shots there (y)

How are you liking the X2? Did you upgrade from the X1, or was it your first try at Leica?

Loving photography again after selling off my DSLR gear and picking up an M6 with a 50 Summilux. It's just a lovely thing to use...really engages you in the process of taking a shot, and realise how lazy you get when compacts will shoot usable iso 3200 these days.

In Macau this weekend....battery died last night so I'll be metering with my phone....doesn't feel like a hindrance, more a challenge :)

You can't really describe what makes Leica worth the money, you need to use one. The advance lever action is so nicely engineered, it's addictive!

Anyone got an M240 or an order placed?

Had one on order, but cancelled when issues arose with build and sensor quality; I'll wait may be until later this year before I give it a reconsideration.

The only one feature that I want is better high-ISO capability where it easily trumps the M9.

anyone with a film camera had any experience of the leicameters?

Im trying to find one for my M3. I had a troop around london today in a lot of the camera shops and all the ones i saw didnt work!

i was looking at the MC's which use some weird selenium cell thing? Can that be replaced? and the MR's which have what looks like a watch battery but the meter is a lot more expensive.

Having a look round ebay i saw a lot claiming not to work going cheap but this could be down to just a battery replacement if these selenium cells can be replaced.

Failing that ive got a hand meter or just good old sunny 16 guesswork :) but i wouldnt mind one of these just to make it look proper.

There's a MC on MWclassic cameras for £19 which they say is fully working.

I am thinking of getting a Leica m2 or m3, so if anyone knows of any for sale let me know. Maybe even a later one.

Yesterday I found out that my uncle has an M3 with a full set of lenses and filters, not too sure what he meant by full set of lenses and filters; but I will get to test it and play with it in a couple of weeks when I next see him. Can't wait :love:

He hasn't used them in ages, so I'm hoping they're to be in good condition and that I can convince him to part with it :cautious:

Any recommendations for a 50mm lens for a Leica m2/m3? So many choices and makes. Only a small budget though, £400

There's a Zeiss 50 in the classifieds for £500. It's well worth that though considering it is neck and neck with the Leica 50 which is about double the price.

You should be able to pick up one of the Voigtlander 50's within that budget - maybe even the f1.5 which is a very nice lens. Failing that the Voigtlander 40mm is also very nice and a bit cheaper.

I am in love!! Just held a mint M6 with 50mm summicron lens!! Felt perfect in the store but at £2.5k for the combo had to walk away. Was as new and I am amazed at the feel and quality!

Voigtlander lenses are definitely your best shout at that price range.

Handling an M6 can be dangerous, I learnt that ;)

Battery died in me mid trip last weekend and ended up shooting a roll of colour film using sunny 16...came out fine! Just a couple of duff exposures...was quite happy with it. I wouldn't be too scared of a meterless M now....although it is handy :)

Voigtlander lenses are definitely your best shout at that price range.

Handling an M6 can be dangerous, I learnt that ;)

Battery died in me mid trip last weekend and ended up shooting a roll of colour film using sunny 16...came out fine! Just a couple of duff exposures...was quite happy with it. I wouldn't be too scared of a meterless M now....although it is handy :)

Nothing prepared me for how nice it is!!!

It's just a beautiful thing to use! Puts a smile on my face every time I use that advance lever :)

Hi

I'm still dreaming of the m-e I think.

But i'm wondering what lens(es) would be best coupled to it...

At the moment I really like the wide 11-16 (so guessing 16mm on ff) and I am thinking either a 35mm 40 or 50mm with a low f# (f1.x...to f2).

For those who have the cameras and lenses, which do you prefer? And for those who don't use leica glass, have you compared against the leica glass to see the difference??

After a quick browse on B&H site...
Zeiss 35mm f2 Biogon T* Manual Focus Lens ( Black)
Voigtlander Nokton 50mm f/1.1 Lens (Black)
Nokton 40mm f/1.4 M-Mount Lens
Super Wide Angle Super-Wide Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Aspherical
Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 Lens

Did anyone have/use the Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ?

Thanks in advance...

Standard focal lengths have a serious look at:

Voigtlander Nokton 35mm 1.2 Aspherical II
Zeiss 35mm f/2 Biogon
Zeiss 50mm f/2 Planar
Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar
Leica 50mm f/2 Summicron
Leica 50mm f/2.5 Summarit

Wide angles I'd look at in no particular order:

Leica Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 (if you can put up with the awful looking Frankenfinder, high price and f/4)
Leica 18mm f/3.8 Super-Elmar-M
Zeiss 18mm f/4 Distagon

If you want to go wiiiide the lenses you listed:

Super Wide Angle Super-Wide Heliar 15mm f/4.5 Aspherical
Heliar Ultra Wide-Angle 12mm f/5.6 Lens

May be worth a look. Me I always prefer wider low distortion lenses like:

Leica 21mm f/3.4 Super Elmar ASPH

You are spoiled for choice with wide lenses for a Leica, and the standard 35mm or 50mm have some really high quality lenses. You have to set a budget though as it can get really expensive. I had no qualms using Zeiss glass though, and one of the biggest bargains looks to be the Voigtlander 35mm f/1.2 II.

Last edited:
I bought the Heliar Ultra-Wide 12mm Asph at the weekend....it is WIDE!

Should have first few shots back by Friday, will post some samples.

I have my one Leica Summilux 50 which is fantastic, but will probably flesh out the range with voigtlander/zeiss glass, very impressed with the build on the voigtlander, as good as the Leica.

Interesting M6TTL, most don't have the 'Leica' script on top.

Didn't know it was unusal!...found this :

M6 TTL scripted-top
Steven Gandy reported that from the end of 2001, for a small extra charge of DM 30, you could have fancy Leica script added to the otherwise spartan top cover of an M6, just like the good old days of the M3 or M4. Catch was, it was only available for the Japanese market and most importantly, the script was not engraved but merely printed on. In April '02 Leica offered this service to all Leica users for € 190 Euro (+P&H).

First test shots with the Voigtlander 12mm :

Looking forward to getting out with it properly this weekend :)

Mine is all going. I just don't use it enough and my eyesight is not getting on well with MF either. A shame as the whole kit is just wonderful.

Back