Official Talk Leica thread

i spoke with a Leica guy about this a couple (so probably 3) of years ago

he said that Leica’s vision was to offer as many different possibilities across the market segments as possible and that partners made this a reality

(this conversation was before the L mount alliance)

the huawei partnership was the mobile market
the fuji partnership was the instax market
the Panasonic partnership was the compact market
then the X compacts
the q compact
then the M
the SL
and finally the S MF line

he said no other company had such a broad coverage with so few models and that leica weren’t looking to flood the market (like say how many A7x or XTx models Sony/Fuji release) but to offer a leica solution in each area (and sensor size)

overall it’s tricky I think.... the M is the famous leica. If you want a digital rangefinder buy an M or forget about it but leica can’t survive on the product cycle of the M (especially when many owners stopped buying them after the m9 or waited from the 9 to the 10 to upgrade)

leica’s other cameras are a tougher sell... the SL vs the A7x range, the S MF vs the Fuji/Hassy, the CL vs the other APSC cameras. These product don’t have the same cache as the M and the products of rival manufacturers are a lot close to these lines than the M vs.... well vs what? The Fuji?

in a parallel universe leica probably ditched making cameras years ago... and just make lenses in a variety of mounts now!

Hi, Leica has many extremely loyal and enthusiastic customers, which is a blessing.

Customers like these can react quite emotionally, which can be difficult, however.

Many Leica lovers talking about the Leica soul appear to forget that (on earth) souls require a (healthy) body to exist.

Meaning, Leica is a commercial company needing sales and profits to exist, and to innovate.

Porsche owners are - or were - the same. For them, the 911 is the only real Porsche. Where would Porsche be today without the Cayenne,
the Panamera, the Macan, the Boxter, the Cayman ???

So, nothing against a broad portfolio of offerings, as long as one gets one's favourite.

For me, the M is the real Leica. And as long as there are Ms, I am happy with Leica ... ---

Hi, @ecniv, same location, different equipment (SONY A7 - Voigtländer Skopar 4/21 f 5,6 crop), different time: March 15, 2014 :

DSC07612-A7-1-c-v21-tp.jpg

For city travel, I like 21mm lenses. - With a 50mm, perhaps holding the camera vertically, might have helped. But it is always very crowded in Berlin,
and one does not have much time ... ---

(Times have changed. Equipmentwise, too... --- Meanwhile, I would either use the M9 with the Elmarit 2,8/21 asph., or the SONY A7R2 with the ZEISS Loxia 2,8/21
to avoid the colour-shift of the Skopar.)

Last edited:
Hi, the Christmas Market in Mainz/D. The German Rotwesten are harmless compared to the French Gilets Jaunes ... ;)

(Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/28 asph. v1, serial#4099925, f5,6 crop) :

L1020660_DxO-L28a-tp_bearbeitet-2.jpg

P.S.: There is a new Elmarit 2,8/28 now. Any experiences of owners here in this thread? Preferably from owners of v1 and v2 ... ---

Attachments

• L1020660_DxO-L28a-tp_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    L1020660_DxO-L28a-tp_bearbeitet-1.jpg
    473.8 KB · Views: 3
Hi, the Christmas Market in Mainz/D. The German Rotwesten are harmless compared to the French Gilets Jaunes ... ;)

(Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/28 asph. v1, serial#4099925, f5,6 crop) :

View attachment 262106

P.S.: There is a new Elmarit 2,8/28 now. Any experiences of owners here in this thread? Preferably from owners of v1 and v2 ... ---
That really made me laugh:D Such cute Kinder. Very good catch, and title!

Guys (and gals) I have a question regarding LR and the dng raw files from the leica typ 240 mp.
I am processing the files from a recent visit to Zurich when I noticed I am getting a tinge on the right hand side. Now I got that on the 15mm but this is appearing on pictures from the 50mm.
Is there a setting in LR that might auto compensate for the 15mm and apply it continuously to the rest of the files?
As an example :

Also just got a 135mm leitz to play with :) impulse buy...

... Also just got a 135mm leitz to play with :) impulse buy...

Hi, is it an M or an R ? The Elmar 4/135 M is an all-time great. I have two. The first one I bought was a little battered. I liked it so much, however, that I bought another, mint one ... ---

Mainz/D near Gautor (Leica M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25 f2,8) :

L1020692_DxO-z25-28-tp.jpg

Guys (and gals) I have a question regarding LR and the dng raw files from the leica typ 240 mp.
I am processing the files from a recent visit to Zurich when I noticed I am getting a tinge on the right hand side. Now I got that on the 15mm but this is appearing on pictures from the 50mm.
Is there a setting in LR that might auto compensate for the 15mm and apply it continuously to the rest of the files?
As an example :

Also just got a 135mm leitz to play with :) impulse buy...

I'm no expert with lightroom but I would use a grad filter from the right and adjust the tint, you could then save it as a preset for any other shots.

@Topsy
Right, but why should I? How come its red?

I've taken a few shots yesterday and today. To see whether it is a setting on the camera or lr or just sensor.
But I don't remember there being red on the side except on the 15mm.

Seems to be occurring with the 50mm. Which is strange because the first pictures I had with it before were fine (50mm album)
But not the 135mm...

@justpix It's an elmarit leitz 135mm f2.8 M Mount

Hi, sounds interesting ...--- I have an Elmarit R 2,8/135 serial#3146871, E 55 Filter. I bought it in my SONY adapting days, when I bought several 135mm lenses to play with ...

The 135mm Elmarit R is very good. Some say (E. Puts), this is due to the larger diameter compared to M lenses.

(And some even say, this is a reason why recent mirrorless (Leica SL2, Pansonic, Nikon, Canon, Sigma ...) cameras have a bajonet with a large diameter ... --- )

Back