Official Talk Leica thread

Sodding phone.... That was meant to say hi! Lol

Any opinions on the voigtlander 50mm f1.1 from someone that has used it? The only thing currently missing in my lens lineup is a very fast portrait lens but the nortilux are like rocking horse faeces to find!

Not worth it, the reason I was close to buying it was the bokeh at f/1.1 but turns out it's nothing to brag about.

Checkout this YouTube clip by DigitalRev ...

[YOUTUBE]s5T1LMd81UQ[/YOUTUBE]

Any opinions on the voigtlander 50mm f1.1 from someone that has used it? The only thing currently missing in my lens lineup is a very fast portrait lens but the nortilux are like rocking horse faeces to find!

How much do you have to spend?

If you're after a Noctilux, Selfridges will have them in stock; they've always had them in stock whenever I visit there (which is almost monthly); and if I'm not mistaken, Leica Mayfair had a few last time I was there (July / Aug.).

You most likely wouldn't get a used Noctilux for that, you would get a very nice used 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH for £2k. Really though being sensible I wouldn't spend £2k on a Leica lens. I'd look at the Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar used for about £650-£700 used. I'd skip the Voightlander 50 completely. To me the f/1 portraits one eye in focus is a bit played out anyway.

Laudrup,

I'm curious as to why you suggested to skip the Voigt.? Not doubting you, but is it really all that bad to be skipped?

Just curious to understand others' rationale.

Thanks,

You most likely wouldn't get a used Noctilux for that, you would get a very nice used 50mm f/1.4 Summilux ASPH for £2k. Really though being sensible I wouldn't spend £2k on a Leica lens. I'd look at the Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar used for about £650-£700 used. I'd skip the Voightlander 50 completely. To me the f/1 portraits one eye in focus is a bit played out anyway.

I've seen the zeiss sonnar but I'd probably buy it new tbh. Just want the low light performance as my other lenses are 35mm f2 and 90mm f2.8, both leica. I'll do some reading on the zeiss.

Laudrup,

I'm curious as to why you suggested to skip the Voigt.? Not doubting you, but is it really all that bad to be skipped?

Just curious to understand others' rationale.

Thanks,

The bokeh was off putting and the f/1.1 felt a bit like a gimmick to get it into Noctilux territory. It was disappointingly soft as well when I tested one on the M9. I went for a used 50mm f/2 Summicron that worked out about the same price and didn't regret it. I eventually tracked down a 50mm Summilux ASPH when they were like gold dust and it is a magnificent lens.

The bokeh was off putting and the f/1.1 felt a bit like a gimmick to get it into Noctilux territory. It was disappointingly soft as well when I tested one on the M9. I went for a used 50mm f/2 Summicron that worked out about the same price and didn't regret it. I eventually tracked down a 50mm Summilux ASPH when they were like gold dust and it is a magnificent lens.

Would you recommend a summilux or sonnar then for the 50mm?

I've seen the zeiss sonnar but I'd probably buy it new tbh. Just want the low light performance as my other lenses are 35mm f2 and 90mm f2.8, both leica. I'll do some reading on the zeiss.

The Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f/1.2 Lens II is a very nice lens if you ever needed another 35 for low light, although the Zeiss you have just now is the one I'd buy.

Check into the Zeiss Sonnar it is a highly regarded lens. If you buy new and want to shoot at f/1.5 a lot ask the shop (or contact Zeiss) to have it optimised for focus at f/1.5 as I understand they leave the factory optimised for f/2.8 as Zeiss figure most customers will stop the lens down. I believe Zeiss do this free of charge although you may pay shipping to Germany. May even be worth looking for a used one that has had it done.

Would you recommend a summilux or sonnar then for the 50mm?

I won't lie the 50 Summilux is an absolute jewel, but you are paying £2k used and that's a lot of money to have tied up in one lens especially if you find the 50 focal length a bit uninspiring. Me if I did it again I'd go with a 50mm Sonnar. I was opening RAW files of Zeiss glass and found it more wowing and pleasing than files from Leica glass that was double the price and much harder to source.

With the money you 'saved' you could always look into something wider like the Zeiss 21 or 25 if they suited your style.

Last edited:
Laudrup,

Thank you for the replies; very informative indeed.

I have to apologise, when you recommended against the Voigt., I had mistakenly assumed (I don't know why) you were referring to the Voigt. 50/1.5 and not the 50/1.1 (which I have already tried and didn't like .. as you've rightly said, is way too soft and gimmicky).

Given your recommendation, I think I shall go with the Zeiss 50/1.5, although I was initially leaning towards the Voigt.

Shame Zeiss don't make fast wide lenses for the M. I'd really love a 35/1.4; and I'm not too keen to be paying Leica prices.

I won't lie the 50 Summilux is an absolute jewel, but you are paying £2k used and that's a lot of money to have tied up in one lens especially if you find the 50 focal length a bit uninspiring. Me if I did it again I'd go with a 50mm Sonnar. I was opening RAW files of Zeiss glass and found it more wowing and pleasing than files from Leica glass that was double the price and much harder to source. With the money you 'saved' you could always look into something wider like the Zeiss 21 or 25 if they suited your style.

That's good advice thanks

One other quick question...

If I were to get the Leice M next year, is it worth keeping my nikon d300/lenses...?

I wouldn't mind keeping the lensbaby, but then I'd need an m-mount to nikon lens adapter.
Is there such a thing and has anyone tried it?
Or better just to sell all the nikon stuff and put it towards a lens on the leice?

Your thoughts please...

PS: Thank you for the lens suggestions... Definitely will be looking into getting some of those voigtlanders I think.!

Depends what you shoot tbh. The Leica M range isn't for people who want to focus instantly as its an entirely manual camera. I wouldn't use the lenses on a leica M range camera either as they kinda defeat the point of having a smaller system as the lens would completely overpower it and probably block a large portion of your view finder as well, which isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination.

If you are moving from a nikon system to a leica M system, get some practise in using just primes, as most of the leica range are primes!

Depends what you shoot tbh. The Leica M range isn't for people who want to focus instantly as its an entirely manual camera. I wouldn't use the lenses on a leica M range camera either as they kinda defeat the point of having a smaller system as the lens would completely overpower it and probably block a large portion of your view finder as well, which isn't ideal by any stretch of the imagination.

If you are moving from a nikon system to a leica M system, get some practise in using just primes, as most of the leica range are primes!

Apart from the Tokina they are all primes (I liked the crisper feel).

Hmm yeah hadn't thought of that. Its just I liked the lens baby system (cheap tilt n shift type) and the lens is sharp... but I've found using adapters on the nikon to be a bit hit and miss, mainly semi soft due to not quite focusing right (the m42) plus material on the adapters lens...

It was that and the macro...

leica M has a live view option doesn't it?

Yeah it does but it's not something I'd use that often tbh. M39 lenses are often very small and compact, which is hard to adjust to in itself coming from a Nikon camera system.

Yeah it does but it's not something I'd use that often tbh. M39 lenses are often very small and compact, which is hard to adjust to in itself coming from a Nikon camera system.
So keep the nikon stuff for a while incase I don't get on with the smaller lenses/no autofocus...?

Yeah could do. I was blown away by the m9 in comparison to a d7000 which my mrs owns. The fuzzy rubbish she gets from her 50mm f1.4 even at f2 is pathetic against my nearly 40 year old 35mm leica f2 wide open. Manual focus seems hard at first but stick with it as it's amazingly rewarding when you get it spot on each time.

So keep the nikon stuff for a while incase I don't get on with the smaller lenses/no autofocus...?

...and also for the situations where the manual focus doesn't cut it. Think about, perhaps, trips to the zoo, to airshows etc

could someone suggest a nice 21mm lens in an M mount? Im off to the lakes in May and would like to do some landscapes but only have a 50 at the moment which is fine but id like something wider to go with it. Something under 1k would be nice.

im sure its lovely but not quite in budget. I'll check the others out thanks :) the voightlander f4 seems to get some good reviews too.

If anyone is interested I'll be selling my Zeiss 35/2, Zeiss 25/2.8 and 90 elmarit-m in the next week. Going cheap.

theoldman,

Keep us posted; depending on price, quality / condition and model, I may be very interested.

im sure its lovely but not quite in budget. I'll check the others out thanks :) the voightlander f4 seems to get some good reviews too.

I had one of these and was quite disappointed with it, focus was off and not sharp. Probably I just had a bad copy, I have been quite happy with other Voigtlander lenses..

I have the Voigtlander 21 and it's pretty good. Never compared it directly with the Leica though as I can't afford it :)

theoldman,

Keep us posted; depending on price, quality / condition and model, I may be very interested.
35/2 sold really quickly. 25/2.8 still for sale - mint copy, as new. Boxed. I'll sell for £500. The 90 Elmarit-M is £800. If interested I'll put up in Classifieds.

For reference, the 90mm Elmarit-M is the best portrait lens I've ever used and I've had the 90 cron and the 75 Lux. I think it's the small and handy size. Just a brilliant lens. If I still had my M240 I would keep these 2 lenses for ever.

My 1934 Model II with a 1936 50mm f2 Summar bought off a Clergyman with a 1936 IIIa that was stolen in Thorpe Park
Leica II by pentaxpete, on Flickr
My 1965 M2 with a 1957 90mm f4 Elmar bought off a Camera Club member - it also had a 1966 Canadian 35mm f1.4 Summilux
M2 90mm by pentaxpete, on Flickr
My 1986 M6 + 1989 50mm f2 Summicron -- it also came with a German 35mm f1.4 Summilux ( from Camera Club member)
M6 box by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Ha, Pete, not so much Pentax now, heh? :rolleyes: Nice Leicas though... :D

Any Leica M8 users here? I've recently decided to move from DSLR (D610) to something more compact and my main requirement was it MUST have an optical viewfinder. This seems to leave the Fuji Xpro1, Epson RD1 or Leica M series. Fuji xpro1 does not really seem set up for manual focus as the lens is "focus by wire" and the Epson seems hard to find leaving the M8 as a semi affordable body. I have also got a 28mm 2.8 elmarit asph lens which works well with the M8. It takes a bit of getting used to but I like the way everything has dedicated manual controls.

Not sure if I have shown these results from my 1934 Model II with the 1936 50mm f2 Summar lens in any other section of this site -- but here goes --

Sharp result from outdated FP4 in FX15 formula developer

Leica 1934 5 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Colour test in our High Street on outdated 'Truprint' (Ferrania) film -- 1/500 at f6.3

Leica 1934 8 by pentaxpete, on Flickr

ride at Southend-on-Sea : 1/500th at f9 on teh outdated Truprint film .

Leica 1934 11 by pentaxpete, on Flickr'

'Eyes Front !' -- Brentwood High Street, outdated Boots ( AGFA) 200 film rated 100 ASA

eyesfront by pentaxpete, on Flickr

Back