Official Talk Leica thread

Awesome :) what's the first thing you're going to do with it?

Just put a roll of Double X in there and off out for my "exercise walk" round the village tomorrow. Hopefully to finish up some images for the zine exchange.

Hi, still looking for grainy bokeh-balls ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :

Through the window:

L1023614_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023614_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

Through the window, across the street :

L1023613_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023613_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

So I went out for the first time today with the M7. And OMG it's lovely. Being able to put the shutter on auto, aperture on f/11, and scale focus with the 28mm from 1.2m to infinity is great. I can see it being a perfect street camera when we're allowed on the streets again.

This however from the M7 and the tiny Voigtlander 35mm f/2 Ultron. With hindsight, Double-X in Diafine isn't a good fit. I'm not sure Diafine is the right developer for me. Shadow detail and sharpness was pretty poor. Back to HP5 I think.

2020-03-13-5222-m7-20.jpg

Hi, my worst grainy bokeh-balls ... (Leica M9 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 2) :

L1023617_DxO-v50-2.jpg

L1023617_DxO-v50-2-c.jpg

L1023617_DxO-v50-2-cc.jpg

So, I would like to end this series. Everybody can decide if he can live with this... The Apo-Lanthar is a good lens, I would say.

It is not perfect. But if anyone here owns a perfect lens for 1000 €, let me know, please ( :D ) ... ---

One of the truly worthwhile upgrades over the 240 IMO (on the touchscreen Ms you can do it with your finger)

I bought a Tiffen Black Pro-Mist filter, I took some test shots - this first shot doesn't show much.. but I do like how the light fades into darkness....

Landing by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Here's a couple of shots taken on my street, just to test out the halation of lights, something I look forward to London for :)

Tiffen Black Pro Mist by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

Tiffen Black Pro Mist by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

1/4

It's 46mm and fits 21 SEM, 35 FLE & 50 Lux

I bought a 49mm one direct from Tiffen in the USA also 1/4 strength for my X100F, also fits WCL adapter for X100F, now debating on whether to get a larger one for the GFX!! Only used it a couple of times - link here to the obligatory petrol station shot! -won't post inline as its a Leica thread! Tiffen were not teh greatest company to deal with though took over 6 weeks to deliver an in stock item!

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/89667368@N05/50839859228/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:
I bought a 49mm one direct from Tiffen in the USA also 1/4 strength for my X100F, also fits WCL adapter for X100F, now debating on whether to get a larger one for the GFX!! Only used it a couple of times - link here to the obligatory petrol station shot! -won't post inline as its a Leica thread!

I do like how it bleeds the light into the scene, can't wait to get out there to try it on something more interesting :)

Trying to decide whether I like the Sonnar f/1.5 and finding myself shooting it wide open just to see how pronounced that focus shift is. I reckon the "tilt" that Jonathan Notley goes on about on his video is bang on.

This, my go-to target for sharpness test. Focussed on the eye at f/1.5, and whilst the sharpness is "ok" there, it's a few cm in front of it that's really sharp.

Interesting, I'm pretty sure my copy of the Sonnar f/1.5 focuses accurately at f/1.5 while there is a few cm back fokus at f/2.8.

I'm not sure which I prefer, while the depth of field is shallower at f/1.5, and it is the kind of lens I would tend to use wide open, it is probably easier to lean forward a few cm at f/1.5 than to lean backward at f/2.8.

[Edit: spelling]

Last edited:
Hi, comparing my 2 most modern lenses (Leica M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 - VOIGTLÄNDER Apo-Lanthar 2/50 f 8) :

Lanthar, whole view:

L1023760_DxO-v50-8.jpg

Lanthar middle crop :

L1023760_DxO-v50-8-cm.jpg

ZEISS middle crop :

L1004685_DxO-z35d-8c.jpg

Lanthar middle right crop :

L1023760_DxO-v50-8-cr.jpg

ZEISS middle right crop :

L1004685_DxO-z35d-8-cr.jpg

Everything was controlled to make this comparison valid. Of course, the relevance of comparing a 35mm and a 50mm lens can be debated.

So, some might see it as advanced esoterics ... --- :)

I meant the cv version

Hi, I am not sure, whether the VOIGTLÄNDER will be tangibly better than my 35mm ZEISS Distagon I am quite happy with, apart from its size and weight.

The cv is 35g lighter, but is 3mm wider and 2 mm longer, and slower, and has no FLE.

So, not much progress here. - And I do not know what its bokeh will be like ...

So today my last new camera arrived.

IMG_1695.jpg

And my M6 goes off to Ffordes to compensate. So glad I did it. Much prefer the film advance & rewind knob. It's like having my M3 back again only now I have a lightmeter and 28mm framelines! The M7 is a great compliment to it with aperture priority for easier shooting. All I need to do now is take some decent pictures!

Back