Official Talk Leica thread

Hi, Leica M9 - ZEISS Planar 2/50 f 2. Yesterday was St. Nicholas' day in Germany - hence the focus ( ;) ) :

L1014626_DxO-z50p-2-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, St. Peter in Mainz/Germany (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/24 ASPH, f8):

L1014633_DxO-L24a-c-8-tp.jpg

L1014637_DxO-L24a-8-tp.jpg

The Nativity Scene will be complete on Christmas Eve:

L1014634_DxO-L24a-c-8tp.jpg

(The 24 ASPH Elmarit can rest on its shade on level surfaces, so you do not need a tripod. The shade of the 3,8/24 Elmar (I also have) is not as practical in this respect ... ---)

Hi ,wondering if anyone can help,I’m a Canon user currently 5d mkiv my Dad was a lieca user and n the family we have his 1960’s Leica with a bunch of lenses ,is there any chance I could get these lenses to fit my canon .

Hi ,wondering if anyone can help,I’m a Canon user currently 5d mkiv my Dad was a lieca user and n the family we have his 1960’s Leica with a bunch of lenses ,is there any chance I could get these lenses to fit my canon .
You'd need an adapter with a corrective glass element to compensate for the longer distance between the flange of the mount and the sensor in an EOS camera. These do exist, but are only as good as the corrective element.

Hi, Leica M9 - ZEISS Distagon 4/18 f 4:

L1014703_DxO-z18-4-tp.jpg

18mm is fairly wide for taking pics in a city, and f 4 gives much DOF. - My favourite focal length for city travel is 21mm (at present) ... ---

But yesterday I used 18mm all day.

Last edited:
Adam - I just love your images!

Have you tried a B & W conversion on this? I think I would like that alot as well :)

Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much Fraser

I really appreciate you telling me that

Here's a very quick and dirty (aka noisy) conversion - the m9 isn't exactly the best low light camera :)

L1013963.LR-2.jpg

Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Rodley.

MM246 and 35 cron.

eds
full

Hi, (Leica M9 - ZEISS Distagon 1,4/35 (handheld)) f1,4:

L1014977_DxO-z35dist-14-tp.jpg

f 8:

L1014974_DxO-z35dist-8-tp.jpg

The Distagon is my best 35mm lens. I like the handling of the Summicron better, however. It is compact and more Leica-like ...

I am still trying to find someone having the Distagon and the latest Summilux. Anybody here? Please let me know!!! ---

The sunstars in the f 8 picture look quite nice. Some people make a quality criterion out of the sunstar rendering ... --- Well, I am not sure. One could also say they look unnatural and unrealistic.

Maybe, looking back in 10 years one might say we lived in the "sunstar-years" ... ---

Hi, have a nice weekend! (M9 - ZEISS Biogon 2,8/25, f 2,8):

L1015092_DxO-z25-28-tp.jpg

(This Biogon has a close-up distance of 50cm. The M9 viewfinder does not support this. However, the M9 body is 14,2cm long, and if you know this, you can measure the distance yourself for tabletops ... )

Gave my 1965 M2 + 1988 German 35mm f1.4 Summilux an outing after camera had been serviced for sticking slow speeds -- I also was 'experimenting' with some old Kodak Tri-X found in fridge, and Crawley's FX-4 Formula 1+1 for 12,5 mins @ 20oc. I did some PRINTS on Jessops VC Glossy paper with my Durst M305 enlarger.
The Face: seen at end of an alleyway connecting to Brentwood High Street on a Bus waiting at traffic lights. 1/250 @ f2.5 Dull Light
The Face by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Shopper : 1/125 @ f1.4 and I burnt in white area around him on print but for not long enough.
Shopper by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Passer-By : 125th @ f1.4 -- he is a bit out of focus but I DID focus on paving stone lines, but back shops are sharper !
Passerby by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Hi, most of you here know that I have a long and mixed migration history of using Leica M mount lenses on SONY cameras (NEX-3, NEX-5N, NEX-6, NEX-A7, NEX-A7R2).

Taking this route can entail the danger of making many enemies, among SONY-fans and Leica-lovers ...

With new heavy-metal mirrorless cameras from Nikon, Canon, Panasonic and Sigma one could again try to find a "second home" for Leica lenses,
the new mounts promising better results than on the SONY A7s, where vignetting and color-shift could and had to be corrected using the
SONY lens correction app from Sony play memories. Weak corners one has to live with ...

Nikon Z looked promising to me, at first. They have vignetting correcting options for manual lenses, according to the manual.

However, here I find reasons to ignore Nikon Z for adapting Leica lenses:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/01/12/long-term-thoughts-on-the-nikon-z7-and-system/#more-17817

"It seems the sensor cover glass is thick enough to not play so nicely with non-telecentric wides: the edges of most M mount lenses under 35mm aren’t pretty, even known ‘good’ lenses for native M. "

So, this is it. - As good (or as bad) as the SONY A7s.

Canon I do not consider an attractive second body, because I would like to have IS.

One has to wait what Sigma offers, and Panasonic. Panasonic working closely with Leica might offer better support for M glass.

The Leica SL offers M support now, and it even has M lens profiles that can be selected. But it is big, and has no IS ...

Sorry for bothering you with my speculations on a rainy Sunday ... :)

<snip>
However, here I find reasons to ignore Nikon Z for adapting Leica lenses:
https://blog.mingthein.com/2019/01/12/long-term-thoughts-on-the-nikon-z7-and-system/#more-17817
"It seems the sensor cover glass is thick enough to not play so nicely with non-telecentric wides: the edges of most M mount lenses under 35mm aren’t pretty, even known ‘good’ lenses for native M. "
<snip>

What he means is non-retrofocus wide-angles that are not designed with the extended back-focus distance required to clear the mirror on DSLRs. With mirrorless and rangefinder cameras, the lens can be positioned as close to the sensor as necessary and this offers some optical advantages that both Nikon and Canon have been crowing about recently, particularly with very fast wide-angles when combined with a wide lens mount.

But this feature offers no advantages with standard and longer focal lengths, and there is a downside with wide-angles too. Because the rear of the lens is so close, the image is projected at an increasing angle towards the edges and corners of the sensor. Not a problem with film, but with digital there are vignetting issues at oblique angles and the 'sensor stack' in front of the sensor (including UV, IR and AA filters etc) often doesn't play well either, resulting in loss of sharpness and flare etc.

It's been well documented with some vintage Leica/Zeiss lenses on Sony A7-series cameras (google) but every camera/lens combination is different. Tread carefully.

Last edited:
Hi, I had a look at Leica websites to find out how M lenses perform on the SL:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252842-m-lens-performance-on-the-sl/?page=7

And passages like this show me not to pursue this any more:

"Very similar experience to shooting an M and the image quality of the output form the SL looks similar, first impressions are the very far corners on the 24mm 3.8 is suffering a bit wide open... "

I expected better performance of M lenses on the SL because an M-to-SL adapter is twice as thick as the M-to-FE (SONY) making the light
hit the sensor at an less oblique angle in the corner, thus avoiding colour shift and weak corners ...

Clear thinking geometrically, but wrong empirically. The performance of M lenses on the SL is comparable to the SONY A7xx,
which is unsatisfactory (for me).

On the Leica website you find the statement that M lenses are supported on the SL, and a list is shown.

Support, however is vague and undefined. It can simply mean attachment is possible.

I would like to find a statement like M lenses attached to the SL show equal or better performance compared to attachment to the Leica M.

But no Leica lawyer would endorse that.

Therefore, no new bodies (Leica SL, Canon, Nikon Z6/7, Panasonic, Sigma) for my Leica M mount lenses!

RIP (n)

Back