Official Talk Leica thread

Morning all, just a bit of advice please. I have bought an M8 with a 7artisans lens on the front. Do I need a uv filter as well?
Looking forward to learning how to take photos again!
Cheers

Morning all, just a bit of advice please. I have bought an M8 with a 7artisans lens on the front. Do I need a uv filter as well?
Cheers
Hi, I never owned an M8, but I checked a Leica price-list from 2010. There are UV/IR filters (not just UV) for the M8. This is what I would buy.

Have fun with the M8! :)

Cheers

There’s a thread on the leica forum that has this advice (I haven’t read all four pages though)

“Remember you need a UV/IR _cut_ filter, not an IR filter. The b+w type is 486.”

Link

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/125189-does-the-m8-need-to-use-ir-filter/

Also Hamish has an excellent article on his site (many excellent articles imho)

https://www.35mmc.com/14/02/2016/leica-m8-infrared-cut-filter-comparison/

And a review of the m8

https://www.35mmc.com/22/08/2016/leica-m8/

I hope at least some of this is of use

If you get bogged down on conflicting info (it happens on the net :-D) you could try reaching out to Hamish or to Leica directly

Hi
I recently bought a used typ 240 mp, novo flex adapter plus viewfinder (for my original two nikon lenses) and voigtlander 28mm f2.
So today I walked around town and took some pictures.
Now I'd like to process the dng files. I was using UFRaw and Gimp, so I am wondering if this is a good combo or whether I should look into Lightroom or some other product. What do you use and why ?

... I was using UFRaw and Gimp, so I am wondering if this is a good combo or whether I should look into Lightroom or some other product. What do you use and why ?

Hi, I use DxO PhotoLab for the DNGs (and photoshop for scaling the DNGs after conversion into JPEGs for this forum).

I use DxO Photolab, because I started with DxO Optics Pro 9 (which was free for the M9) and upgraded then.

I do not like the Lightroom licensing with monthly payments. I want to own my SW.

Other SW I have not used for my Leica RAWs. My experience is limited to the M9. Things might be different for the 240 ... ---

Hi
I recently bought a used typ 240 mp, novo flex adapter plus viewfinder (for my original two nikon lenses) and voigtlander 28mm f2.
So today I walked around town and took some pictures.
Now I'd like to process the dng files. I was using UFRaw and Gimp, so I am wondering if this is a good combo or whether I should look into Lightroom or some other product. What do you use and why ?

Congrats on getting the M

I use the last (pre-SAS) standalone version of lightroom with my m9 (and increasingly all my cameras, although it’s not ideal for the Fujis, but Capture One has a free basic version of their app for the fujis, then a tiff can go into LR if needed. I digress....)

I like adobe LR as they’re Leica’s official software partner, which in my opinion means that they’ve worked together so demosaicing results should be acceptable...

The other thing with LR that I like is that it’s so well supported, type any question about it into google and get an immediate answer, or free eBook etc there’s also tons of presets etc and LR is excellent at farming out a tiff (or other formats) to a third party app you might want to use (eg photoshop or NIK collection, DxO film pack, whatever)

Screw ever “renting” LR though, so I sure hope I don’t buy any >2018 cameras any time soon

This is lovely. I love other peoples B&W, mine, not so much.

Leica question....why would I buy an M6 when I have an M3? Effectively, it is a lot of money for just a meter but the call is strong. I keep going back and forth with the idea, but more so forth!
Forget the M6 and get an M2! My favourite M, and it has the 35mm frame lines which I don't think the M3 has...

This is lovely. I love other peoples B&W, mine, not so much.

Thank you so much, to be honest I often think the same with other people's photos (in both col/bw!)

It was foggy that day which I think always gives photos a little something in the end look

Leica question....why would I buy an M6 when I have an M3? Effectively, it is a lot of money for just a meter but the call is strong. I keep going back and forth with the idea, but more so forth!

Can't help with that, I'm a lazy digital M shooter :D

Back