Official Talk Leica thread

Any suggestions for a fast but cheap and yet good lens for the leica typ240 mp (somewhere around 300-500 euros) ?
I have the 28mm f2 voigtlander (lovely) and two nikon lenses.

I am looking for possibly 50mm or 40mm fast cheap lens (funds are short) to take pictures at a wedding reception (probably low light).
I was thinking before of a 35mm f1.2 but I think the prices are more 800 euros. So anyone who has bought a cheaper lens and can ( or has already) got pictures I can look at at, any pointers, I would appreciate it :)

I saw some thing about a 50mm f1.1 voigtlander I think or 7artisans... :)

Can anyone offer advice/experience with the Zeiss Planar T* F2 50mm ZM?

Cracking lens with a modern style of rendering, very sharp, superb micro contrast, only just pipped by the modern Summicrons for sharpness. I still have mine even though I now have a Summicron 50mm.
In short if you can't afford a "cron then you need the Zeiss.
The only downsides are the 43mm filter size and the expensive hood.

Hi, yesterday at the Rallye Bad Homburg Historic. (For cars in action, I used the Nikon D800.) Cars at rest (Leica M9 - Summicron 2/35 pre-asph. f 3,5 crop):

L1018250_DxO-L35c-c-4-tp.jpg

Attachments

• L1018250_DxO-L35c-4-tp.jpg
    L1018250_DxO-L35c-4-tp.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 1
Hi, the real thing (Leica M9 - Summarit 2,5/50 f 2,8 crop):

L1018142_DxO-L50s-c-28-tp.jpg

@rootdot, you asked about the ZEISS Planar 2/50. A recent review, I agree with:

http://gear.vogelius.se/-reviews/zeiss-zm-50-planar/index.html

The alternatives I also have (Leica Summicron, ZEISS Sonnar) are discussed, too.

Planar lens hood price is not so much an issue anymore. There are bayonet versions from China now.

The Summarit is not discussed. It is more flare resistant than the Summicron, smaller and lighter than the Planar.

Its lens hood is expensive, too, but can be used with 2,5/35 Summarit ( I also have).

I do not know current used-prices. Of all my 50s, I would buy the Summarit and pay up to 100€ more for it than for the Planar.

The Planar would be my second choice. Of course, this is my personal advice. I hope it is not confusing ... --- :)

Last edited:
Is it just down to pure volume?
I'm really having trouble getting my head around this......a macro lens for £2k. These are rip-off Britain prices from a reputable store. Leica TL 60mm Macro lens, £1995... Olympus E-M1 Mkll + 60mm macro lens, £1594... Olympus E-M1 Mkll + 12-100mm lens, £1879... Sony A7 lll + 28-70mm lens, £1995...
So, four superb bit's of kit, three of them come with a camera body thrown in, and two even with change (£).......I could go on there are many such examples.
I know what they say 'If you cant stand the heat, then get-out of the kitchen'but it does make one think.

Last edited:
I'm really having trouble getting my head around this......a macro lens for £2k. These are rip-off Britain prices from a reputable store. Leica TL 60mm Macro lens, £1995... Olympus E-M1 Mkll + 60mm macro lens, £1594... Olympus E-M1 Mkll + 12-100mm lens, £1879... Sony A7 lll + 28-70mm lens, £1995...
So, four superb bit's of kit, three of them come with a camera body thrown in, and two even with change (£).......I could go on there are many such examples.
I know what they say 'If you cant stand the heat, then get-out of the kitchen'but it does make one think.

It’s true Dave. Some of it is down to volume manufacturing.
The rest is Leica tax. Or should that be the cost of exclusivity.

It’s true Dave. Some of it is down to volume manufacturing.
The rest is Leica tax. Or should that be the cost of exclusivity.
Plus Leica use ground glass, especially on aspherical elements, where most of the competitors use moulded. According to Leica theirs is best, but I doubt we'll be able to see much/any difference.

Well, Olympus is MFT, and I have never seen a positive review of the Sony 28-70 kit lens ... ---
Plus Leica use ground glass, especially on aspherical elements, where most of the competitors use moulded. According to Leica theirs is best, but I doubt we'll be able to see much/any difference.

Both valid. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Leica owner myself.
Honestly wish I could own more of their stuff.

Well, this can lead to onion rings wide open. They are easily visible ... ---

Hi, the real thing (Leica M9 - Summarit 2,5/50 f 2,8 crop):

@rootdot, you asked about the ZEISS Planar 2/50. A recent review, I agree with:

http://gear.vogelius.se/-reviews/zeiss-zm-50-planar/index.html

The alternatives I also have (Leica Summicron, ZEISS Sonnar) are discussed, too.

Planar lens hood price is not so much an issue anymore. There are bayonet versions from China now.

The Summarit is not discussed. It is more flare resistant than the Summicron, smaller and lighter than the Planar.

Its lens hood is expensive, too, but can be used with 2,5/35 Summarit ( I also have).

I do not know current used-prices. Of all my 50s, I would buy the Summarit and pay up to 100€ more for it than for the Planar.

The Planar would be my second choice. Of course, this is my personal advice. I hope it is not confusing ... --- :)

Thanks dude - I have always like the Zeiss look it might not be technically perfect but there's something about it....

Cracking lens with a modern style of rendering, very sharp, superb micro contrast, only just pipped by the modern Summicrons for sharpness. I still have mine even though I now have a Summicron 50mm.
In short if you can't afford a "cron then you need the Zeiss.
The only downsides are the 43mm filter size and the expensive hood.

Cheers! cost isn't the option but keen for a lovely 'look' (which doesnt always mean the best lens technically) do you have any example pic I could see?

This is an 'in-camera' stack from an E-M1-Mkll + Oly 60mm Macro lens.....I doubt I'd see much/any difference....would I?
Another plus, the Oly has auto 'in-camera' stacking, for, I think 15 shots now, this was 8 shots.
My heart tells me, buy the Leica 60mm macro, my head tells me, buy the Oly set-up....Oh, and get the fabulous Oly 12-100mm whilst you are at it....for only £280 more....:)

Any suggestions for a fast but cheap and yet good lens for the leica typ240 mp (somewhere around 300-500 euros) ?
I have the 28mm f2 voigtlander (lovely) and two nikon lenses.

I am looking for possibly 50mm or 40mm fast cheap lens (funds are short) to take pictures at a wedding reception (probably low light).
I was thinking before of a 35mm f1.2 but I think the prices are more 800 euros. So anyone who has bought a cheaper lens and can ( or has already) got pictures I can look at at, any pointers, I would appreciate it :)

I saw some thing about a 50mm f1.1 voigtlander I think or 7artisans... :)

I have the 7artisans 50mm “good” is a bit subjective, but if can do a nice image, especially at 1.4 and up.

What’s amazing though is the price. (£350 new or something iirc)

The voigtlander 1.2 (latest version) has great reviews and is no doubt better then the 7artisans but brand new with the hood you’ll be looking at about £1000, which is pocket money in Leica land, but it’s still a thousand quid!

I’ve put many pics on here with the 7artisans and I also have a flickr album dedicated to it.

With your budget I’ve definitely be looking at secondhand...

For my £0.02 it’s a bit harder to swallow with the TL glass.... we pay through the nose for M glass as it’s full frame coverage, all manual, lasts a lifetime with no electronics and ultimately wtf else can we put on an M camera?

But the TL glass can’t really claim any of that. I don’t doubt the TL range is better than Fujis (but I wouldn’t like to quantify by how much) but the specs of fuji’s APSC glass is often... well... kinda better! Faster apertures, aperture rings (not real ones of course like manual glass), sometimes physically smaller and a lot less money!

When the X-Pro1 came out, many Leica shooters laughed at the ‘big’ lenses and the APSC sensor size. I’m guessing that after the SL and TL/CL they’re not laughing any more :D

If its bangs for bucks you're looking for, do not buy (new) Leica! There's plenty of other good makes out there..
The Fuji XF 80/2.8 macro is a cracking lens, and about half the price of the Leica 60mm macro, so you pay your money and take your choice.

Thanks Adam. Funds are short atm. And I will be going to a party and a wedding reception shortly. I think I am going to struggle in the low light, so I think I will get the 7artisans lens if they have it at the local. Then save up for a higher quality lens (should I need it).

I dont remember taking macro shots being so difficult, but when it works :) I'm processing atm... so Ill perhaps post the better shots...

Thanks Adam. Funds are short atm. And I will be going to a party and a wedding reception shortly. I think I am going to struggle in the low light, so I think I will get the 7artisans lens if they have it at the local. Then save up for a higher quality lens (should I need it).

I dont remember taking macro shots being so difficult, but when it works :) I'm processing atm... so Ill perhaps post the better shots...

Not sure where/what your local is...

But Hamish carries them

https://35mmc.com/shop/product-brands/7artisans/

Also possibly amazon uk

They’re cheaper straight from China, but will most likely have import duty/tax added

I want to call the 7artisans a “character” lens more than a high quality lens, but even away from the bargain price it does have a certain charm in many shots (and no less is great in every scenario)

I feel your iso pain... M9 shooter here :D

Voigtlander 28mm f2 @ f....? (no contacts so camera doesnt know)
L1006792 by Katia & Vince, on Flickr
More from this weekend (instead of last) shortly

It’s only a guess when you do have a lens that the camera knows about!

Fit an ND filter then laugh at all the F4 values you get in LR when you know full well it was open wider than that!

I’m liking how that 28/2 is looking in your shot here, nice image (I’ve toyed with buying one... but I just bought something else...)

As the only native leica mount lens that I have, the voigtlander is a pleasure to use, really nice feel, and pretty sharp :) 500 euros so I'd put it as a mid range lens... the others as you mentioned used are around 800 to 1.x k... so may have to wait a long time ;)

Slowly getting used to the 105mm... Sometimes the leica refuses to get it right on Aperture mode, then have to fiddle with shutter and iso... Seems to get the light from outside the lends and not what is getting through....
Some more posted on the flickr feed.

This one wasnt too bad
L1006861 by Katia & Vince, on Flickr

Was a windy day... plus macro... and overcast to lighting was a problem...

Gorgeous cars :D

Hi, I have been to the Rallye Bad Homburg Historic several times. It is always nice there. Friendly people, beautiful cars.

Parking during the lunch break was very close, so I took a 35mm lens, and had to crop (same equipment as above).

INVICTA:

L1018246_DxO-L35c-c-tp.jpg

This Saturday, I shall go to the Heidelberg Historic, the most interesting vintage car rallye in my area. But this will be a NIKON-day, for cars in motion ...

Hi, Leica M9 - ZEISS Planar 2/50. Cars at rest are easier ( f 2,8) ... :

L1018339_DxO-z50p-28-tp.jpg

... than cars in motion (Heidelberg Historic, f 8, crop):

L1018335_DxO-z50p-c-tp.jpg

Who would have thought that ? :D

Last edited:
Back