Official Talk Leica thread

Leica Vario X . Hardings Moor, Boxmoor.
Mmhjz7O.jpg

Hi, the mascots of the 2nd German State Televison channel (with enforced subscription) (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/28 f 2,8) :

L1020011_DxO-L28-28-tp.jpg

Elmarit 2,8/28 asph vs. v4 (I have both) :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/282540-28mm-elmarit-asph-or-pre-asph/

"Had the asph for a few years. Never liked it... (the much used term ¨technical¨ about this lens covers very well what I felt). Found an ¨ as new¨ copy of the pre-asph v4 (which is supposed to have a look rather close to the v3), paid pretty much the same that I got for the asph... but so much more happy now."

Last edited:
Hi, the KAUFHOF in Düsseldorf/D (Leica M9 - Voigtländer Ultra Wide-Heliar 5,6/12 v1 E39 (Schraubgewinde) f 8),
a struggling department store in a beautiful Art Nouveau building :

L1020081_DxO-v12-c-tp.jpg

full picture :

L1020081_DxO-v12-8-tp.jpg

Using a 12mm for architecture on the M9 is a little tricky. I use a level mounted in the flash shoe for untilted, horizontal positioning ... ---

Whatever one may think about ccd vs cmos...

I think it’s more m9 colours vs 240 ones

plenty of folk over on the official leica forum complaining about m240 colours, particularly in regards to skin tones

but these days the 240 is a lot of camera for (comparatively) little coin

Hi, I only write about equipment I own and use, which keeps me fairly busy. The only digital Leica I have (at present) is the M9.

I found this CMOS vs. CCD comparison interesting:

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2019/7/29/the-myth-of-the-leica-m9-ccd-vs-cmos-sensors

that’s the m10 vs the m9, the m10 appears to be a camera that leica have tried very hard to replicate the m9 colour palette with... (and the woman still looks more yellow/orange compared to the m9 in most of the shots, but not so badly that in isolation it would really bother you I think...)

that’s the m10 vs the m9, the m10 appears to be a camera that leica have tried very hard to replicate the m9 colour palette with... (and the woman still looks more yellow/orange compared to the m9 in most of the shots, but not so badly that in isolation it would really bother you I think...)

Yes, I would not make too much out of it. Higher ISO performance and live view are reasons to consider the M10 ...

I am quite happy with my M9, and will use it as long as possible - and then we shall see ---

Perhaps this is because I am a retro guy. My Mercedes S class is 29 years old...

Hi, I only write about equipment I own and use, which keeps me fairly busy. The only digital Leica I have (at present) is the M9.

I found this CMOS vs. CCD comparison interesting:

https://www.streetsilhouettes.com/home/2019/7/29/the-myth-of-the-leica-m9-ccd-vs-cmos-sensors

That’s a really good read and easily one of the better comparisons I’ve read. Thanks for sharing! They have done a good job with the M10 but those M9 colours have a certain something.

The 240 does offer a lot of bang for buck and the files do seem very workable. Saying that, so do the M9 files.

I wanted full frame - typ 240 mp came up just in price range.. Ok so no leica lens to go with it, but it is wonderful to use. Previous camera was nikon d300.
I think I would like the higher iso of the m10, but the price is out of reach. And I would like to try the leica lenses to see whether the difference is workth it... :)

Hi, the mascots of the 2nd German State Televison channel (with enforced subscription) (Leica M9 - Elmarit 2,8/28 f 2,8) :

View attachment 258383

Elmarit 2,8/28 asph vs. v4 (I have both) :

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/282540-28mm-elmarit-asph-or-pre-asph/

"Had the asph for a few years. Never liked it... (the much used term ¨technical¨ about this lens covers very well what I felt). Found an ¨ as new¨ copy of the pre-asph v4 (which is supposed to have a look rather close to the v3), paid pretty much the same that I got for the asph... but so much more happy now."

I have the voigtlander 28mm f2. I think its feel is more film like. :)
Elmarit is the leica brand, right...? So different quality levels within the range ?

Last edited:
I have the voigtlander 2mm f2. I think its feel is more film like. :)
Elmarit is the leica brand, right...? So different quality levels within the range ?

Hi, Elmarit is the version with f 2,8 (Summicron is f 2,0, Summilux f 1,4 ...), so the Elmarit is comparatively slow(er).

I cannnot find quality differences between Leica lenses. All are well made. Even the "entry-level" Summarits (of which I have 3).

In real life, my 28s (Voigtländer 2/28, Elmarit 2,8, Elmarit 2,8/28 asph.) show equal performance, the Voigtländer being faster, of course.

Rigidly controlled comparisons might bring out differences, especially in rendering, as quoted above.

P.S.: I like the colour version in your posting #2462 better.

Hi, early autumn colours in the Kurpark in Wiesbaden/D (Leica M9 - Leica Elmarit 2,8/24 asph f 2,8):

L1020170_DxO-L24a-8-tp.jpg

was lucky on Thursday this week, I went into Leica UK in Mayfair London and David Suchet (renowned English actor and Leica Shooter) came into the store for a second day of book signing of his new book Behind the Lens. I bought one for my wife who is a huge fan and he of course signed it. I was very impressed with him as a person, polite and interesting as well as interested. We chatted for a while about photography mostly. I took this candid shot of him while he was chatting to another group who had bought a book but had also collaborated with him in the production of it. One of them works in the store, (Robin the guy on the left). I sent Robin the jpg from camera to ask David if he was ok for me to post it on social media and I am pleased to say he gave permission.

David Suchet 2-1a upload LUF.jpg

This was sheer coincidence, I was only in London because I needed to get a Visa for China and they take your fingerprints for it. I had for a long time been missing one of the securing studs for the hood on my 21mm Elmarit (Canadian Version) I had been in touch with Leica UK and they had them in stock for me to pick up which is really the reason I was in the store. They (David) fitted 2 new screws to my lens for me totally free of charge, what great service and I thank them for the service and hospitality they showed me during my visit.

@wibbly Nice photo - but you posted it before (page 60) :)
@justpix : so the difference is only for pixel peepers then. Was thinking there might be a nicer feel or better quality or something to upgrade. But for some reason I just don't feel it. These lenses cover most of what I like, with the only niggle on the 15mm being the shade/chromatic appearing on the edges.
Any idea if there is an 18 or is it just the 21mm... Wondering if I might use that more, although the 15mm is very light and thin...
I liked the colour shot too, but felt a black and white might look good. Still in two minds :)

Leica typ 240 mp - comparison of lenses - area coverage
15mm, 28mm 50mm 105mm + adapter - hand held so rotation and positioning moved a little... but good enough to see the coverages...

This was something I was looking for online before i bought the 15mm. Which reminds me I still need to get a lee filter holder and adapter ring...

@justpix : 1)so the difference is only for pixel peepers then. Was thinking there might be a nicer feel or better quality or something to upgrade. But for some reason I just don't feel it.

2)These lenses cover most of what I like, with the only niggle on the 15mm being the shade/chromatic appearing on the edges.

3)Any idea if there is an 18 or is it just the 21mm... Wondering if I might use that more, although the 15mm is very light and thin...
I liked the colour shot too, but felt a black and white might look good. Still in two minds :)

Hi,

ad1) People like me (hobbyists) might not see differences, at least not, if there is no A - B comparison. I walk around with one lens mounted, and after a few weeks
with another one of the same focal length. Even with the same subjects, there is too much variation.

A professional photographer with trained eyes will see more.

Leica lenses are very good. When there is a new model, it will show improvements. But I think it is the same with cars. A 400 hp car offers more performance than one with 300 hp.
However, in normal traffic the difference might not be experienced ...

ad2) I do not have colour shift with my 15mm Voigtländer V3, using the 2,8/21 lens profile in the M9.

( I have 2 15mm Voigtländer. V1, E39 Schraubgewinde, shows slight pink corners at times (gray sky). I do not use it with the M9. The other 15mm is V3,
the latest, current version. This behaves faultlessly on the M9.)

ad3) I have the ZEISS Distagon 4/18, too, which is good lens, however bulkier than the 15mm Voigtländer.

If one does not have a favourite uwa length, one could choose the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21. However, this is used at least 3000 €. (I do not have it, because I have 15, 18 and 21mm
already covered.)

My favourite all-round focal length when visiting cities is 21mm.

UWAs have their properties, distorting buildings (Leica M9 - Voigtländer Ultra Wide-Heliar 5,6/12 v1 E39 (Schraubgewinde) f 8) ! :

crop:

L1020052_DxO-12-tp_bearbeitet-1.jpg

L1020052_DxO-12-tp.jpg

The first time I was in Düsseldorf, I had a 35mm mounted, which was not wide enough for architecture. So, a week later I went again with a 12mm lens.

In future, I might take a 21mm, and hold the camera vertically ...

Last edited:
If one does not have a favourite uwa length, one could choose the Tri-Elmar 16-18-21. However, this is used at least 3000 €. (I do not have it, because I have 15, 18 and 21mm
already covered.)
If it is 3k and each nice lens is usually around 1k or 2k... then it is worth it.
I shall keep an eye out, may be a b`day present next year, perhaps.

As to the edges on the 15mm I think its that the m9 is a crop sensor?
So perhaps doesn`t affect as much (I recall that the tokina 11-16 I had on the nikon d300 was great, but they said wouldn't work on a full frame because the sensor could 'see' more area, so maybe its the full frame senor on the m which is picking it up. But I wont know until I try some others to see if it just this lens or on all or whether the mkiii fixes it...

1)If it is 3k and each nice lens is usually around 1k or 2k... then it is worth it. I shall keep an eye out, may be a b`day present next year, perhaps.

2)As to the edges on the 15mm I think its that the m9 is a crop sensor?

Hi,

ad1) Starting with uwas (and having the funds) the Tri-Elmar is the optimum.

ad2) The M9 has a 24x36mm Kleinbild sensor ("FF").

The problems with the E39 Voigtländer may result from its pre-digital past. V3 is better. (I use the V1 only for my SONYs now.)

I was on a gig last week, full disclosure... I usually use a fuji for those, better ISO, AF if I need it... yada yada... the M9 is my me camera!

Anyway, I've lent the fuji to a mate, and the job was short notice and it was 'only' (sic) static shots of a car, so I thought fk it, I'll just use the M9 (the colours are better anyway and the ISO will be fine, it's broad daylight)

During the shoot I managed to grab this cheeky little street shot!

Green Power by Adam Bonn, on Flickr

Nice cheeky shot. Does it ruin the photo boosting the lower darker end? (guessing the shots were in a shade of a building)

Thanks

i did a bit already, it gets kinda noisy and colour-shifty, plus i was being paid to shoot that car so I’d rather keep it in shadows as I’m not sure the client would be cool with me doing personal stuff on their time

Back