Oh Dear!

LOL. Thanks Ian it gets me right 'ere... honest. :wave:

Either that's a hijacked account or the seller is very very lazy.

For a 3.5k lens you don't just put one sentence then copy the specs from the manufacturers website?

You'd be extremely wary dealing with someone posting like that AND with less than 95% feedback ...:eek:

Steer clear at all costs ... imo ...:p

This is a full frame 1D shot, and the nearest I'm going to get to a serious attempt today. Unremarkable except it was shot through tinted glass, 1/80 at F5.6 and 800 ISO with the 1.4xTC.
Gonna put it away now and RTFM. ;)

That's a cracker ... and look at what that lens has done to the bg, that's why you pay that sort of money for these lenses.

LOL. Thanks Ian it gets me right 'ere... honest. :wave:

Like bile :LOL:

/knowing nod to "Bottom" fans (of the Adrian Edmundson and Rik Mayall show type :cautious: )

That's a cracker ... and look at what that lens has done to the bg, that's why you pay that sort of money for these lenses.

Very good statement Andy.

Lovely lens and even better images Cedric, I am very envious of you.

Enjoy it mate..:)

I wouldn't like to bet money on how long it will be before you've got one Tim. ;)

Hmmm ... suppose this means your stuff just got that much better then Cedric ...:thinking:

... mighty glad Nikkor range don't got a 500 VR ... yet ...:eek:

:p

I've just done my £4.7k on the 600 tonight .... bit bizarre as I haven't even got a Canon body to use with it yet ;)

Hmmm ... suppose this means your stuff just got that much better then Cedric ...:thinking:

... mighty glad Nikkor range don't got a 500 VR ... yet ...:eek:

:p

I bet they will though. ;)

Seriously nearly all my bird shots have been quite substantial crops of necessity, but any cropping now will be mostly minor and often not at all, so there should be a marked increase in quality. Hope so Rog anyway.

LOL You mad impetuous fool. :LOL: When you gettin it?

Maybe end of the week. Just deciding what body now, maybe a 30D or a 1D MKII N, just treading water until the big one next year. The AF may persuade me to go with the the 1D... be a handy back-up body. Not sure I could live with a 30D after the D2x...and a heavy lump balances the lens better when I'm carrying it around.

Mine's a bit nose heavy on the pod at the moment even with the 1D. I need a longer Arca plate to get the weight back a bit but I'm working on it. :)

The 500 performs really well with the 20D which is really a 30D and sometimes the smaller sensor means less cropping. AF down to F8 is handy though with the 1 series (MK2) and they wont go out of fashion any time soon even when they launch the new model.

It'll be 600mm and f/4...allegedly. But I didn't tell you that, geddit?

which is probably an off white grey...we all know how 'they' like to copy the good stuff ;)
actually a white lens may make more sense in terms of thermophysics, heat can expand the components inside a lens and impair IQ (yes, really) - black loves to store heat, white less so, so maybe there is some method in the madness....

White also reflects sunlight and gives my position away to the bad guys - there's less madness in my method. And in 60C temps I don't think it'll make much difference what colour it's painted - it's all to hot to touch with bare skin.

Canon has more need to use reflective bodies than others, principally because of the fact that they use flourite based elements (well a single element because it is so expensive), flourite based glass is particularly fragile being prone to heat and shock.

One the whole, I think modern materials and build design gets around heat expansion/contraction.

Mine's getting Cammo'd up shortly anyway. ;)

OK I've sussed the focus preset thing now.. was it Oldigt who asked about it?

switch_panel.jpg

onpodsanshood.jpg

That 3 position switch is LEFT - OFF
Right - ON with a confirmation beep.
Centre- ON but you can live without the beep.

If you focus on a given subject/ range then press the 'SET' button to the left of the three position switch (partly obscured in the pic) you store that focus position in memory. You can now focus elsewhere as you please, but should an opportunity arise at your preset focus spot, then to recall the setting you just nudge the white knurled jog wheel which is towards the front of the lens. It only moves a fraction left or right, and it matters not which way you turn it, it instantly recalls your previous focus position. It's very fast and accurate and works whether you're in AF or MF Mode.

Fantastic, and potentially a really useful aid to bagging the shots, which is more than I can say for the AF Stop function.

If you look at the back rubberised band towards the front of the lens you can see a black micro switch. There are actually four of these at 90 degree intervals around the band. Pressing any of these halts the AF function (overriding the shutter button) until you release it, when AF resumes.

For the life of me I can't think of a situation where I'm likely to need it, or be able to find one of 'em in the heat of the moment, especially being so far forward on the lens. :thinking:

Time might prove me wildly wrong, but the jury's out. :shrug:

Mine's getting Cammo'd up shortly anyway. ;)

If you focus on a given subject/ range then press the 'SET' button to the left of the three position switch (partly obscured in the pic) you store that focus position in memory. You can now focus elsewhere as you please, but should an opportunity arise at your preset focus spot, then to recall the setting you just nudge the white knurled jog wheel which is towards the front of the lens. It only moves a fraction left or right, and it matters not which way you turn it, it instantly recalls your previous focus position. It's very fast and accurate and works whether you're in AF or MF Mode.

Fantastic, and potentially a really useful aid to bagging the shots, which is more than I can say for the AF Stop function.

If you look at the back rubberised band towards the front of the lens you can see a black micro switch. There are actually four of these at 90 degree intervals around the band. Pressing any of these halts the AF function (overriding the shutter button) until you release it, when AF resumes.

For the life of me I can't think of a situation where I'm likely to need it, or be able to find one of 'em in the heat of the moment, especially being so far forward on the lens. :thinking:

Time might prove me wildly wrong, but the jury's out. :shrug:

That's interesting... so, unlike my Nikon 300/2.8, the 4 focus lock buttons don't double-up as focus preset recall buttons.
Must admit, I'd like focus recall buttons down towards the camera... it can be an awkward reach when they're down towards the end of the lens. Ah well. It is a handy function though, i use it a lot.

Yeah, focus lock buttons are pretty redundant these days... modern cameras have enough focus lock options.

Thanks CT.
I agree that pre-focus button looks to be brill. So you can focus on where your next squirrel is expected to appear and then pan around looking for "baby robins" or such and be ready to get that shot when the furry critter pops his nose out. Cool. (y)(y)

4 more focus lock buttons (and long arms...):shrug:

That's interesting... so, unlike my Nikon 300/2.8, the 4 focus lock buttons don't double-up as focus preset recall buttons.

Nope - they don't have any useful function at all as far as I can see. :shrug:

I wont be sending it back though. :D

Nope - they don't have any useful function at all as far as I can see. :shrug:

I wont be sending it back though. :D

If you get a screwdriver and a soldering iron, you may be able to transfer the ring switch wires to the buttons... go on, it'll be a laugh :D

If you get a screwdriver and a soldering iron, you may be able to transfer the ring switch wires to the buttons... go on, it'll be a laugh :D

Can't find me soldering iron. :thinking:

Well... I've been set up all day - pure frustration . I knew I should have bought this lens in the summer. The light is dire, and the birds don't want to know - story of my life. ;) These are the best couple, both taken 100th at F5.6, 800 ISO and fill flash -2 stops power, with 1.4 TC. Not what I was hoping for, but they bode well for better conditions I think ?

Robin1_14_11_06.jpg

Robin2_14_11_06.jpg

here WAS an opportunity to test it out too :(

Nahh it's bust, I'd take it back. The background is all blurry and you can just about see the glue blobs under the right foot. Tch tch tch...

I take it those are not crops?
Very good. Promises to be a great spring next year.

Canon has more need to use reflective bodies than others, principally because of the fact that they use flourite based elements (well a single element because it is so expensive), flourite based glass is particularly fragile being prone to heat and shock.

That's what the ED glass in Nikkor lenses is too...

:notworthy: nice one ct nice one :notworthy:

That's what the ED glass in Nikkor lenses is too...

The thing is, I've forgotten exactly which compound is which, as two are used in optical glass manufacture, flourite and flouride. Often these are confused and even manufacturers slip-up (or stretch the truth for marketing)

One compound can be incorperated at some expense , the other is so expensive that it is not really viable for consumer products... I know from chats with my friends at Carl Zeiss, they cannot understand how Canon can afford to use this latter compound in their lenses.

To my knowledge, flourite has only been used in one or two Nikkor lenses, and they are old Nikkors.

I'll consult the Zeiss guys, as they know exactly what everyone uses.

cheers,
Andy

Back