Oh Dear!

Lifted from the Canon website - talking about the 500 / 600 f4 IS L

"One fluorite element and two UD-glass elements effectively correct aberrations resulting in sharp and excellent delineation."

Some other reading from Canon

Fluorite

Fluorite has extremely low indexes of refraction and dispersion compared to optical glass and features special partial dispersion characteristics (extraordinary partial dispersion), enabling virtually ideal correction of chromatic aberrations when combined with optical glass. This fact has long been known, and in 1880 natural fluorite was already in practical use in the apochromatic objective lenses of microscopes. However, since natural fluorite exists only in small pieces, it cannot be used practically in photographic lenses. In answer to this problem, Canon in 1968 succeeded in establishing production technology for manufacturing large artificial crystals. Thus opening the door for fluorite use in photographic lenses.

Super UD lenses

The high cost of synthetic fluorite crystal production makes fluorite lenses extremely expensive. One answer was found in the latter half of the 1970s with the appearance of UD (ultra low dispersion) glass that could provide characteristics similar to fluorite but at a lower cost. While the indexes of refraction and dispersion of UD glass do not equal that of fluorite, they are significantly lower than those of other types of optical glass. Moreover, UD glass does display partial dispersion characteristics similar to fluorite. The selection of the proper lens element combination in consideration of the intended focal length and other factors can provide close to the same effect as fluorite, (two UD lens elements are equivalent to one fluorite element). Another breakthrough was made in 1993 when Super UD glass was introduced as a new material that achieves almost the same performance as fluorite while achieving a new balance of greater cost reduction and even higher quality.

O.K. some firm details on the flouride/flourite issue (but a bit late after the excellent post above)

Flourite is CaFl it is very expensive and time consumingly cultured in the factory. It is not as fragile as it's reputation suggests, though it is vunerable to shock and the elements.

Flouride ions are used by a few manufacturers, they are introduced to the glass... expensive but viable and sensible.

Neither of the above are used in Nikon's 'ED' glass, as Nikon's 'ED' designated glass was developed as a calcium fluoride alternative, a low dispersion glass that wasn't fragile or temperature sensitive.

This isn't about what is better, it's about different methods to reach the same goal.

one of the least interesting posts on here, I suspect ;)

cheers,
Andy

Congratulations Cedric. Super images, what a lens, blinkin nice blur too.

And theirs me about to spend more money than I ever thought I would on a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR lens....but you making me feel a bit inadequate right now. :(

:LOL:

I'd love a short stabilised lens of around that length Adam. It's not gonna be this week though. :D

I take it those are not crops?

They are crops, but nothing like as drastic as I'd normally have to do at that distance, and the birds are nowhere near 1:1 reproduction which would be huge, so it all bodes well... it's just the damned dismal light. Roll on Spring. ;)

I wouldn't like to bet money on how long it will be before you've got one Tim. ;)

Well look what happenned when I saw what you did with your 180mm Macro lens..:LOL:

Is that how Mrs CT sees it :D

Well she feeds the birds every day, and loves it when I get great pics, so she thinks the new lens is pretty cool. I think she loves me as well - incredible innit? :D

Well she feeds the birds every day, and loves it when I get great pics, so she thinks the new lens is pretty cool. I think she loves me as well - incredible innit? :D

:LOL: You got it good all round then yer lucky fella ;)

A Bit of History for all you Canon-users...

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm

A Bit of History for all you Canon-users...

http://www.mir.SPAM/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/index.htm

Well stated....... :clap:

Very very nice CT. :D

I'm sure you're going to make brilliant use of it. Perhaps it might even tempt you into venturing outsideof the garden. ;)

Not that you seem to need to go further for great shots.

Can't find me soldering iron. :thinking:

Well... I've been set up all day - pure frustration . I knew I should have bought this lens in the summer. The light is dire, and the birds don't want to know - story of my life. ;) These are the best couple, both taken 100th at F5.6, 800 ISO and fill flash -2 stops power, with 1.4 TC. Not what I was hoping for, but they bode well for better conditions I think ?

You gotta look on the bright side Cedric ... at least you are getting some excellent practice in ...:D

AND of course /... we shall expect absolutely nothing but perfection next year ...:eek:

:p

Very very nice CT. :D

I'm sure you're going to make brilliant use of it. Perhaps it might even tempt you into venturing outsideof the garden. ;)

Not that you seem to need to go further for great shots.

Thanks Daz, fear not.... I've got one or two places lined up, including a nice little pool which is home to a lot of wildlife and birds, well within striking distance for me. Last time I went though I was well under-gunned, I hadn't even got the 100-400L then - no chance whatsover. :shrug:

The lens is now cammo'd up in readiness. ;)

You gotta look on the bright side Cedric ... at least you are getting some excellent practice in ...:D

LOL. Bright side? Bad choice of words Rog. I did manage this one this morning, but the light is still awful. All that dosh gets you closer, but the exposure difference still isn't as much as you'd like. This is 125th at F5.6 700mm, 800 ISO. Uncropped though! :)

squirrel_15_11_06.jpg

AND of course /... we shall expect absolutely nothing but perfection next year ...:eek:

Well that's the plan, but slip, cup, lip and all that. :D

Pure curiousity shot of the M6 at 700mm. It's a good 1/4 of a mile away.

M6.jpg

And at 1:1 ... yep he's on his ******* mobile! :wacky:

M6_life_size.jpg

Still ... looks a great bit of kit Cedric ... you must be well made up ...:D

And that squidge doesn't look like he is enjoying a grey miserable day at all ... quite bright and cheery in fact ...:LOL:

Let's see it then ...:D

Just keep me at it Rog! :D

cammo1.jpg

I still got the strips to put on the tripod mount, but I don't really fancy it as it's sticky sided, unlike the rest, which is just a real tight stretch fit. I'll just hang a bit of cammo net over the top - job done. ;)

HeHe ... anything to oblige ..:LOL:

Looks like a purty good job C ...(y)

Is it sticky stuff or just stretchy fabric ...:thinking:

Assume you're leaving enough to go over your head too ...:D

LOL. It's stretchy waterproof stuff. I'm just thinking about the cammo gear and hide poles I got rid of when I packed up pigeon shooting. :shrug:

HeHe ... hindsight is great innit ...:LOL:

Looks great anyway ... and must be excellent for those minor bumps 'n scrapes ... as if ...:eek:

looks great ct. i am jealous, i was playing with one of these on a 1dmkii on the weekend and desipte being white was very very nice, and lighter than i had expected. infact it wasn't that much heavier than my old nikkor 300 f2.8!

looks great ct. i am jealous, i was playing with one of these on a 1dmkii on the weekend and desipte being white was very very nice, and lighter than i had expected. infact it wasn't that much heavier than my old nikkor 300 f2.8!

It's not too bad to carry around, either using the tripod foot as a handle or on tbe shoulder strap. I tried hand holding it today. 30 secs is about max. If you had a lie down for 20 minutes you could probably do it again. :LOL:

Seriously it's gotta be straight up and take the shot, after that you've got no chance of keeping the AF spot on an area smaller than your average elephant.

It's not too bad to carry around, either using the tripod foot as a handle or on tbe shoulder strap. I tried hand holding it today. 30 secs is about max. If you had a lie down for 20 minutes you could probably do it again. :LOL:

Seriously it's gotta be straight up and take the shot, after that you've got no chance of keeping the AF spot on an area smaller than your average elephant.

I don't know why but my recently arrived 600/4 I.S. feels lighter than my old Nikon 600/4... technically, the Canon is a fraction heavier. I suppose it's just a case of differnet balance when carrying it.... nice to have a soft rubber grip on the tripod foot, my hands are going to appreciate that nice touch.
Trouble is, I went for a 30d as a temp camera... and it's front focussing :( Another 30d arrives tomorrow, if that doesn't work, then it's off for calibration (fortunately Canon repair HQ is les than 10 miles away)

Still, what it does focus on is gorgeous :)

Nice one on the 600 L, Fantastic lens,
first thing to come off mine was the foot, which was replaced by the low profile Wimberley one.

Nice one on the 600 L, Fantastic lens,
first thing to come off mine was the foot, which was replaced by the low profile Wimberley one.

Yep, seems to be a lens that delivers the goods... managed some cracking detail at 1/80s yesterday.

Just need to decide on camo now... either use my usual no mark fabric or go for a lenscoat. I hounded the poor guy at Lenscoat over the non-appearance of a cover for the Nikon A600/4 F-S MKI, he comes up trumps and I switch to Canon ;) So I think I owe them a sale. Not sure about that forest green pattern, the new realtree max looks more my cup of tea ;)

I decided to get the aquatech sports rain jacket, and make a camo cover to fit loosly over that, (when i get around to it) as mine is used mostly for surfing shots, and wanted a very good waterproof cover.

I will probably get just the lens hood camo the they sell here as its only £18

http://www.wildlifewatchingsupplies.co.uk/ the C60.4 one.

and then cover it in a bit of leaf scrim.

I don't know why but my recently arrived 600/4 I.S. feels lighter than my old Nikon 600/4... technically, the Canon is a fraction heavier. I suppose it's just a case of differnet balance when carrying it.... nice to have a soft rubber grip on the tripod foot, my hands are going to appreciate that nice touch.
Trouble is, I went for a 30d as a temp camera... and it's front focussing :( Another 30d arrives tomorrow, if that doesn't work, then it's off for calibration (fortunately Canon repair HQ is les than 10 miles away)

Still, what it does focus on is gorgeous :)

LOL That was quick! Congrats. (y) Hope you get the focusing probs sorted OK. I just fitted a long Wimberley plate to the 500 and the whole thing is now much better balanced on the head.

LOL That was quick! Congrats. (y) Hope you get the focusing probs sorted OK. I just fitted a long Wimberley plate to the 500 and the whole thing is now much better balanced on the head.

Yep, ordered monday night, arrived first thing yesterday.. .took the HK route in the end :)

Balances well on my 393 gimbal... I use this so the lens is hanging down uderneath, far easier and quicker attaching it that way.
Now the Wimberley has shrunk and lost some weight, I may give that a go at some stage... though I could be trialling the Jobu heavy duty black widow soon.

I usually use the Kirk king cobra, but have just picked up a mint Wimberley mk1 for silly money, the extra size and weight over the mk2 and the extra money, I decided not to bother with it.

I can definatly rate the Kirk King Cobra, built like a tank and silky smooth with a monster quick release clamp.

I'm going to decide between the Wimberley and Kirk then sell the one i decide against.

I usually use the Kirk king cobra, but have just picked up a mint Wimberley mk1 for silly money, the extra size and weight over the mk2 and the extra money, I decided not to bother with it.

I can definatly rate the Kirk King Cobra, built like a tank and silky smooth with a monster quick release clamp.

I'm going to decide between the Wimberley and Kirk then sell the one i decide against.

I've used a King Cobra, couldn't live with the side mount at all, fine with smaller lenses but I found a 600mm was very awkward and slow to get on and off, sheerly because of it's positioning... but speed is not an issue for most.

cheers,
Andy

I've used a King Cobra, couldn't live with the side mount at all, fine with smaller lenses but I found a 600mm was very awkward and slow to get on and off, sheerly because of it's positioning... but speed is not an issue for most.

cheers,
Andy

I find it as quick as the Wimberley, and smoother in action.

onpodsanshood.jpg

.....a really useful aid to bagging the shots, which is more than I can say for the AF Stop function.

If you look at the back rubberised band towards the front of the lens you can see a black micro switch. There are actually four of these at 90 degree intervals around the band. Pressing any of these halts the AF function (overriding the shutter button) until you release it, when AF resumes.

For the life of me I can't think of a situation where I'm likely to need it, or be able to find one of 'em in the heat of the moment, especially being so far forward on the lens. :thinking:

Time might prove me wildly wrong, but the jury's out. :shrug:

Well with 5 months or so behind me actually using the lens, I've had to review my hasty and disparaging comments about those AF Stop buttons!
If you rest your left hand towards the front of the lens as you're supposed to with lenses of this length, then these buttons actually fall very conveniently for your left hand.

Most of the time I shoot in servo mode and unless it's a flying subject I usually only have the centre AF point enabled. It's not always desirable to compose your shot with the critter so central. The problem is if you enable another AF point to the left or right, you can guarantee the critter will be hopping around faster than you can keep changing the AF point.

Once focus is obtained with the centre AF point, then pressing any of these four focus stop buttons, disengages the AF system (as long as you keep it pressed. As soon as you release it you regain AF) and you can recompose your shot as you like and shoot. It's not something I use all the while, but it's very handy in some situations.

Even though the buttons are now covered by the camo sleeve, it's very easy to feel the slight indentations where they are to locate them, or just fold the sleeve forward a little for better access.

So there you go - perhaps Canon actually know what they're doing after all. :D

Back