Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Im assuming £400 delivered for an EM1 mark 1 with less than 1500 actuations and a 12 month warranty is a good deal? Can anyone tell me different? Thinking of upgrading from em10 mark 1
Assuming the condition's good then yes.

So I was wondering what settings people had found best for shooting moving children. I'm using an EM5 MKII with no plans to upgrade to an EM1 (mk1 or 2)

I've been trying to experiment with different settings

Single Shot or Sequential, with S-AF, C-AF and C-AF TR as well as using the small focus point and the larger one.

Having read quite a few reviews I started using Single Shot and S-AF which basically seemed to work reasonably well for one-off action shots though not as well as my Canon 40D.

I then tried both Single and Sequential with C-AF and this did not work well for me at all. I did not however realise you had to follow the subject around, as opposed to once the focus was locked as such the camera would do this (that is C-AF TR - my user error). So I need to try this again.

Also for all the above I was using the smaller focus point, but actually the larger focus point seems to be working better for me.

I've tried a few Sequential and C-AF TR and those seem to have worked pretty well though this has been more the boys jumping in a pool so not too much movement so more testing needed.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I'll post more once I have done a few more tests in the field!

\\ I'm far from a competent photographer so take this with a pinch of salt - someone with better technique than me will do better!

So I was wondering what settings people had found best for shooting moving children. I'm using an EM5 MKII with no plans to upgrade to an EM1 (mk1 or 2)

I've been trying to experiment with different settings

Single Shot or Sequential, with S-AF, C-AF and C-AF TR as well as using the small focus point and the larger one.

Having read quite a few reviews I started using Single Shot and S-AF which basically seemed to work reasonably well for one-off action shots though not as well as my Canon 40D.

I then tried both Single and Sequential with C-AF and this did not work well for me at all. I did not however realise you had to follow the subject around, as opposed to once the focus was locked as such the camera would do this (that is C-AF TR - my user error). So I need to try this again.

Also for all the above I was using the smaller focus point, but actually the larger focus point seems to be working better for me.

I've tried a few Sequential and C-AF TR and those seem to have worked pretty well though this has been more the boys jumping in a pool so not too much movement so more testing needed.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone but I'll post more once I have done a few more tests in the field!

\\ I'm far from a competent photographer so take this with a pinch of salt - someone with better technique than me will do better!

Basically CAF is next to useless on the EM5ii (and all Oly cameras other than the EM1 and EM1ii) so its SAF and a short fast bursts for this kind of thing. Not ideal but with practice you can 'feather' the shutter to keep up with the action.

Tracking on ALL m43 cameras and most DSLRs sucks, practice is needed to track subjects properly.

Basically CAF is next to useless on the EM5ii (and all Oly cameras other than the EM1 and EM1ii) so its SAF and a short fast bursts for this kind of thing. Not ideal but with practice you can 'feather' the shutter to keep up with the action.

Tracking on ALL m43 cameras and most DSLRs sucks, practice is needed to track subjects properly.

Thanks Ned - I find the 40D performs better - it's sort of irrelevant for me as I don't take the 40D out, just trying to see how to get the best out of them. DO you mean CAF is useless inc CAF TR, or just CAF - I have a feeling you mean the former.

I certainly realise my technique need honing.

Yep, I don't use either. I only use S-AF

Im assuming £400 delivered for an EM1 mark 1 with less than 1500 actuations and a 12 month warranty is a good deal? Can anyone tell me different? Thinking of upgrading from em10 mark 1

Can i ask where you saw the EM1 at that price?

Thanks

Last edited:
Can i ask where you saw the EM1 at that price?

Thanks

Harrison Cameras mate at https://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/used/used-digital-cameras/?filter=BRAND:USED-OLYMPUS

I have to admit Ive just finished my 12.5 hour shift come home and bought one! BUT there are still 3 left all at £395 and 12 month warranty, described as excellent, one has 2501 shutter actuations, one has 9888 and one 10343, these are all really low as I believe the shutters rated as good for 150000! oh and they are all marked down from £450 so dunno how long they will stay that low?

went to Longleat yesterday - I'm sooooo glad that we used Tesco Clubcard vouchers rather than paying the £110-or so to get in. The safari is OK ( much the same as Woburn ), no elephant to see, cheetahs under a tree, one tiger to be seen, monkeys ripping cars to pieces. Of course, they're all wild animals so the Park cannot be responsible for where they are. Food was expensive and the burgers diabolical. Train trip takes you through trees and next to the lake that you can go on a boat "cruise" to.

Anyway..

marmoset
by damianmkv, on Flickr

rhino
by damianmkv, on Flickr

oi !
by damianmkv, on Flickr

brown nosing
by damianmkv, on Flickr

necking
by damianmkv, on Flickr

hey, i saw that
by damianmkv, on Flickr

decorated
by damianmkv, on Flickr

Great shots @damianmkv - much better than I managed to get at Longleat, although my experience sounded a bit better than yours. I went during the festival of light. I didn't do the train trip and my food was great, but not from the burger bar. The Cheetah was miles away for me, as were the wolves. The rhinos only showed us their back end :( I agree with @Nawty, that Rhino is superb.

Thanks all, much appreciated. The 40-150 ( + TC ) was great, a few missed shots of the sealion but to be expected as they appear from the murk of the lake

The Longleat entrance price depends on 'when' you go.
We got our 'whole family' in for less than 4 shillings.

Last edited:
Happy birthday to my baby...... the girl, not the camera.... [emoji512] [emoji328]
49635bd9134e6f2f2598808d178e2468.jpg

Happy birthday to my baby...... the girl, not the camera.... [emoji512] [emoji328]
49635bd9134e6f2f2598808d178e2468.jpg
Lovely photo and how lucky you are to have such a beautiful subject! We only had a film camera when my daughter was small, so we have hardly any photos by today's standards. Now she's grown up, she doesn't like me photographing her.

The photos are jpegs taken straight out of the camera, the only editing done so far is cropping and straightening the elephant photo. I'm slowly working my way through the Raw files. All photos were taken in Katavi NP in Tanzania.

Drinking elephant - Katavi Day 1 by Halfw1t, on Flickr

Katavi - Day 4 by Halfw1t, on Flickr

Katavi day 4 - Lion by Halfw1t, on Flickr

I'm not sure if I prefer the whole body shot of the lion in the tree or the shot where I've zoomed into the upper part of her body.

Last edited:
@Csaba Wow! Love them all!

Were these taken with an em1ii? If so, how did you find it for moving targets? And which lens? I'm trying to decide whether to give up my DSLR

They were taken with an E-M10 Mark I and an Olympus M.Zuiko 75-300. I only had it with me as my Canon 100-400mm picked up a fault four days before my flight so I had to pinch my dad's equipment. I found it quite difficult to use for moving targets as I didn't get on that well with the viewfinder. None of my birds in flight photos came out particularly well. This could be due to my lack of experience with the camera. Personally, I'll be sticking with my DSLR for the immediate future but I wouldn't be surprised if I switched over to mirrorless in the next few years as the improvement between this camera and my dad's previous mirrorless is massive.

T.. I only had it with me as my Canon 100-400mm picked up a fault four days before my flight so I had to pinch my dad's equipment. I found it quite difficult to use for moving targets as I didn't get on that well with the viewfinder. None of my birds in flight photos came out particularly well. This could be due to my lack of experience with the camera. Personally, I'll be sticking with my DSLR for the immediate future but I wouldn't be surprised if I switched over to mirrorless in the next few years as the improvement between this camera and my dad's previous mirrorless is massive.
Oh no!!! How disappointing. Yes I have the em5ii and haven't mastered anything moving really. It's so much easier with my DSLR, but the EM1ii sounds like it might tick the boxes.

Oh no!!! How disappointing. Yes I have the em5ii and haven't mastered anything moving really. It's so much easier with my DSLR, but the EM1ii sounds like it might tick the boxes.
I had a quick play with an EM1ii at the Rutland bird fair and was very impressed. The AF speed is a huge step up from the mk1. It's just a shame it's so expensive :)

OK, this is driving me nuts.

You know the little exposure compensation meter on the bottom right of the evf and screen? why is it only present in P, S and M modes and not in A mode on the EM1?
It should be visible but it depends what customistion you have made.

Here is an E-M5II mistake I made finally updating the firmware.
Set the front dial to change aperture and the rear dial for exposure compensation in aperture priority. So here I am shooting on the beach and I try dial in some exposure compensation for my 5 stop filter. I see the compensation apear on the screen but no change in expsoure time. I got very frustrated and eventually switched to manual expsoure which sorted things for me.

Now I am just getting to the point where I need glasses to read sometimes.
I had set the rear dial to flash exposure compensation I have now sorted this out.

Last edited:
I had set the rear dial to flash exposure compensation I have now sorted this out.
It's a bit of an issue, when I first got the EM5 II I went through and set up the buttons to what I thought I'd use most. After a few rounds of this over the last year I so I was quite happy with the set-up until on holiday I wanted to video my lad surfing and I couldn't work out how to record a video and could I find which button menu I needed to change to put the record button back to video

...Here is an E-M5II mistake I made finally updating the firmware.
Set the front dial to change aperture and the rear dial for exposure compensation in aperture priority. So here I am shooting on the beach and I try dial in some exposure compensation for my 5 stop filter. I see the compensation apear on the screen but no change in expsoure time. I got very frustrated and eventually switched to manual expsoure which sorted things for me.
Ha ha! I did the same! It took me a little while to realise - I thought I had just not used it for a while so it was less intuitive, and then I realised the update had switched things around :)

aye info button didnt help, I have finally sussed it though.

Menu - Gear Icon - B Button/Dial/Lever - Dial Function

I think I'd seen this before but confused myself with it all? There seems toooooooo many options and think I got overwhelmed!

Back