Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Got to love my little cheap 40-150mm lens. Each evening of my ski holiday we were treated to a sunset.

In retrospect I should have upped the f no. for a better depth of field - can see I've focussed on the r.h. peak.

Almost sooc - whites raised and black lowered. 1/30s f/6.3 ISO 320View attachment 238399

Beautiful! Love the colours in the sky. The 'kit lens' tele offerings from both Olympus and Pany are both excellent, I had both they just weren't long enough for what i wanted at the time.

@Carousels Spin @Cagey75 The only photos I ended up coming home with were of the same mountains at sunset or sunrise - over several days running - but then I was there to ski really. I think this was hand held, but the next day I remembered I had my pocket tripod with me.

I do think it's an amazing lens for the money and so light!

@Carousels Spin @Cagey75 The only photos I ended up coming home with were of the same mountains at sunset or sunrise - over several days running - but then I was there to ski really. I think this was hand held, but the next day I remembered I had my pocket tripod with me.

I do think it's an amazing lens for the money and so light!

It's bizarrely light!

It's bizarrely light!
Well it was quite spectacular and this is how I remember the colours. Maybe I've overcooked it with the whites? Although they are still a long way left of the end of the histogram.

Here is the original - raw converted with no processing or sharpening. The sun was really reflecting off that one face.
190212170742-BC124118-2.jpg

Last edited:
Well it was quite spectacular and this is how I remember the colours. Maybe I've overcooked it with the whites? Although they are still a long way left of the end of the histogram.

Here is the original - raw converted with no processing or sharpening. The sun was really reflecting off that one face.
View attachment 238404
No I think your photo is great- I meant the lens is bizarrely light [emoji2]

Well I've done it....many of you will think I'm mad, but I've ordered the EM1X and it should be arriving tomorrow.

The rational was that I was never totally happy running two different Micro four thirds camera systems (The EM1.2 and the Panasonic G9). The G9 has some lovely features and feels great, but most of the things it has (that affects me), that the EM1.2 doesn't, the EM1 X has (AF Joystick, USB Charging, configurable AF arrays) etc. Also, my Olympus long glass always fitted better on the EM1.2, and had a bit of slack in the lens mount on the G9. Don't get me wrong the G9 is a cracking camera and if I didn't own so much Olympus glass I'd have probably kept it.

The deal sealer for me though was the part ex price that I got for my gripped G9 along with the additional £200 trade in allowance Olympus i running was only a few hundred below what I paid for the G9 last year. Couple with the fact that I'm also part exchanging the remainder of my Nikon gear (don't have a Nikon body anymore), then the EM1X will only cost me a few hundred pounds to change. Yes the EM1X is overpriced and will no doubt fall in price in a year or so, but I always knew it was a body I wanted when it was announced.

I'll await the berating from my dear friends on this forum who will no doubt think I need medical treatment for buying such a ridiculously expensive micro four thirds camera :D:D

Last edited:
Well I've done it....many of you will think I'm mad, but I've ordered the EM1X and it should be arriving tomorrow.

The rational was that I was never totally happy running two different Micro four thirds camera systems (The EM1.2 and the Panasonic G9). The G9 has some lovely features and feels great, but most of the things it has (that affects me), that the EM1.2 doesn't, the EM1 X has (AF Joystick, USB Charging, configurable AF arrays) etc. Also, my Olympus long glass always fitted better on the EM1.2, and had a bit of slack in the lens mount on the G9. Don't get me wrong the G9 is a cracking camera and if I didn't own so much Olympus glass I'd have probably kept it.

The deal sealer for me though was the part ex price that I got for my gripped G9 along with the additional £200 trade in allowance Olympus i running was only a few hundred below what I paid for the G9 last year. Couple with the fact that I'm also part exchanging the remainder of my Nikon gear (don't have a Nikon body anymore), then the EM1X will only cost me a few hundred pounds to change. Yes the EM1X is overpriced and will no doubt fall in price in a year or so, but I always knew it was a body I wanted when it was announced.

I'll await the berating from my dear friends on this forum who will no doubt think I need medical treatment for buying such a ridiculously expensive micro four thirds camera :D:D

The only berating you'll ever get would be from the gear head big sensor fanboys. You know best what you want and best of luck with it. Looking forward to seeing what you produce with it.

"Well I've done it....many of you will think I'm mad, but I've ordered the EM1X and it should be arriving tomorrow."
I did not know it was out to buy yet -well done I hope to order one very soon .

Rob.

To be updated then.....:p

Please post about the new Oly... we've had good info on here about the EOS R so I look forward to your review.

TBH no-one should judge other people's purchases. Hope you enjoy it, looking forward to hearing your thoughts (y)

TBH no-one should judge other people's purchases. Hope you enjoy it, looking forward to hearing your thoughts (y)

No one should judge anything they have never, and don't ever intend to use. We've seen this a lot on here, it must terrify the newcomers who come to ask questions about their compacts!

Lovely Lemur portrait there, looks a little sad though :( or maybe pondering what camera to get next so he can return the favour next time :D

@snerkler.... Toby, Your present to yourself, 40-150mm f2.8 in the classifieds. Only wants £610

Last edited:

I hope you enjoy using it.

@snerkler.... Toby, Your present to yourself, 40-150mm f2.8 in the classifieds. Only wants £610
Lol thanks. Not sure I'll be allowed to get another lens just yet ;)

Very nice indeed

Does anybody on here use the Oly 17mm f1.2? I love this focal length on my Canon cameras and was wondering what people think of it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Maarten. I am very tempted and my will power is dimmed as I had a knee operation on Tuesday... temptation... :)

Would be interested in hearing if anybody has the Sigma 16 1.4 I am very tempted by this at half the price of the Oly 17mm 1.2 and I loved my old Sigma 30mm 2.8 was wonderfully sharp.

My friend has the Sigma 14mm that he uses on a FF Canon and it is fantastic.

Last edited:
Well the EM1X arrived about an hour ago (batteries still charging).

Initial feelings are that like the EM1 MK II (with Grip) it feels great in the hand, and surprisingly is only slightly taller than a Gripped EM1 MK II and doesn't really feel much heavier. In actuality, I weighed both on our works digital scales and got these:

EM1 MK II (body only) -With battery grip, two SD cards and 2 batteries loaded - 915g

EM1X (body only - two SD cards and 2 batteries loaded 1010g

TBH, you don't notice the extra 95g but boy, the EM1X feels nice in the hands, and all the controls and buttons fall right under your hand. Had to quickly try out the hand held hi-res and really very impressed with the result, tack sharp and good detail - I can see this being used quite a bit for landscape work.

Loving the AF joysticks, and the camera currently charging via USB. Initial feelings are that everything is turned up a notch, so where as the EM1 MKII is generally very quick, the EM1X is feels like at least 50% faster - that's AF lock, writing to the cards, image display, zooming and panning an image etc. Feels quite polished.

The viewfinder is an interesting one, especially as I also have the Fuji X-T3 and X-H1 (with their 3.6mp resolution EVF's) to compare it against. I can see what the reviewers are saying. It is a bit lower resolution (obviously), and slightly less contrast to the newer panels but it's still a very good and decent viewfinder and quick a bit bigger than that in the EM1 MK II. Basically if you are happy with the one in the EM1 MK II, you will be happy with this as it's just a good but bigger.The refresh rate seems to be higher and from my very limited testing, there's none of that slight delay or "dragging" when moving the camera around quickly.

One minor thing (but again it adds to the user experience), is that now, even when still writing to the buffer, you can review images immediately and quickly without having to wait for the card to finish writing (unlike the EM1 MK II). GPS logging works very well too and also records altitude, direction and temperature (not sure why you would need that last one but hey).

Like I say, very early doors yet and actual shooting experience and image quality comparisons (don't expect much different on that front) will follow.

Initial feelings are that like the EM1 MK II (with Grip) it feels great in the hand, and surprisingly is only slightly taller than a Gripped EM1 MK II and doesn't really feel much heavier. In actuality, I weighed both on our works digital scales and got these:

EM1 MK II (body only) -With battery grip, two SD cards and 2 batteries loaded - 915g

TBH, you don't notice the extra 95g but boy, the EM1X feels nice in the hands, and all the controls and buttons fall right under your hand. Had to quickly try out the hand held hi-res and really very impressed with the result, tack sharp and good detail - I can see this being used quite a bit for landscape work.

Loving the AF joysticks, and the camera currently charging via USB. Initial feelings are that everything is turned up a notch, so where as the EM1 MKII is generally very quick, the EM1X is feels like at least 50% faster - that's AF lock, writing to the cards, image display, zooming and panning an image etc. Feels quite polished.

The viewfinder is an interesting one, especially as I also have the Fuji X-T3 and X-H1 (with their 3.6mp resolution EVF's) to compare it against. I can see what the reviewers are saying. It is a bit lower resolution (obviously), and slightly less contrast to the newer panels but it's still a very good and decent viewfinder and quick a bit bigger than that in the EM1 MK II. Basically if you are happy with the one in the EM1 MK II, you will be happy with this as it's just a good but bigger.The refresh rate seems to be higher and from my very limited testing, there's none of that slight delay or "dragging" when moving the camera around quickly.

One minor thing (but again it adds to the user experience), is that now, even when still writing to the buffer, you can review images immediately and quickly without having to wait for the card to finish writing (unlike the EM1 MK II). GPS logging works very well too and also records altitude, direction and temperature (not sure why you would need that last one but hey).

Like I say, very early doors yet and actual shooting experience and image quality comparisons (don't expect much different on that front) will follow.

Sounds good. I especially liked the button placing for back button focusing when I tried it. Good to hear about being able to review whilst the buffer is filling too. Exciting!

Would be interested in hearing if anybody has the Sigma 16 1.4 I am very tempted by this at half the price of the Oly 17mm 1.2 and I loved my old Sigma 30mm 2.8 was wonderfully sharp.

Not owned it but it was close between that and the 15mm 1.7 PL, I went with the latter and was a bit regretful as I found that lens too small and fiddly for my liking on the G80 - though it was fantastically sharp. From what I've seen and heard the Sigma might actually be a tad sharper, and it is 1.4 to boot.

Interesting, thanks for the quick review. I hope that they can somehow 'fix' the EM1-II so that you can review images whilst the buffer is filling, it's a royal PITA. I had hoped that they could bring the handheld hi res to the EM1-II but I don't think so now as I believe you need the two processors for this.

How are you finding the new control dials, I've always liked them where they are on the EM1's (although actually prefer the front one of the Mark I to the Mark II) but on the EM1-X they're no longer on top and look more like Nikon placement.

It's a shame about the VF tbh, with a flagship camera I'd have expected it to compete with the current market. It sounds as though they are still some way off Fuji and Sony in this regards :(

To be honest having used Nikon cameras for the last 35 years (up until late last year), I don't mind the placement of the control dials and my fingers fall on them just fine. TBH though, I would have preferred if the power on/off switch surrounded the shutter button like the Nikon cameras (and my outgoing G9) rather than where it is, but it's a small point, and something that the EM1 MK II doesn't have either.

One thing I have just noticed, is that in addition to the ISO Low setting of ISO 64 as used on the EM1 MK II, there is now also a Low ISO 100 as well (so 64 & 100).

Again, a very minor point, but I've also only just realised that unlike the EM1 MK II, the EM1X doesn't come with the really nice FL-LM3 tilt / swivel small flash that was bundled with that model. Sure it's not that powerful but is tiny enough to slip into a pocket and provides enough illumination for a spot of localised fill flash. Guess they felt with the "pro" perception of the EM1X, it didn't require it (not that it matters too much as I already have 2 of them).

To be honest having used Nikon cameras for the last 35 years (up until late last year), I don't mind the placement of the control dials and my fingers fall on them just fine. TBH though, I would have preferred if the power on/off switch surrounded the shutter button like the Nikon cameras (and my outgoing G9) rather than where it is, but it's a small point, and something that the EM1 MK II doesn't have either.

One thing I have just noticed, is that in addition to the ISO Low setting of ISO 64 as used on the EM1 MK II, there is now also a Low ISO 100 as well (so 64 & 100).

Again, a very minor point, but I've also only just realised that unlike the EM1 MK II, the EM1X doesn't come with the really nice FL-LM3 tilt / swivel small flash that was bundled with that model. Sure it's not that powerful but is tiny enough to slip into a pocket and provides enough illumination for a spot of localised fill flash. Guess they felt with the "pro" perception of the EM1X, it didn't require it (not that it matters too much as I already have 2 of them).
Yes for some reason a number of manufacturers don't think that pro bodies need an inbuilt (or in the case of Olly a small attachable) flash.

Yeah I like the power switch on the Nikon's too, always feels a bit awkward on the Ollies. You can set the rear mode switch as the power on/off switch instead of the actual on/off switch, but of course you then lose the other functions.

Thanks for the quick impressions, how do you compare the viewfinder with your G9 I understand the viewfinder on that is very good.

Interesting, thanks for the quick review. I hope that they can somehow 'fix' the EM1-II so that you can review images whilst the buffer is filling, it's a royal PITA. I had hoped that they could bring the handheld hi res to the EM1-II but I don't think so now as I believe you need the two processors for this.

The review while filling might be a two processor function as well.

Back