Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Within the Metabones FAQ page, there is comment about depth of field when using speed boosters, in short using a speed booster will result in an APSC senor giving broadly FF sensor results. I think it likely that an M43 sensor will produce a DOF equivalence to an APSC sensor and this will apply to any make of speed booster having the same focal reducer factor, typically 0.71.

https://www.metabones.com/article/of/faq

I think the most effective lenses to adopt are fast aperture medium to long lenses, which work well in conjunction with the MFT crop factor. I could adopt my Sigma 12-24mm lens but once adopted, it really isn't very wide 17-34mm equivalent. There is no (non fisheye) full frame lens available (8.5mm) to be adopted which results in an equivalent 12mm wide angle on an MFT camera.
TBH the DOF thing makes sense, after all focal length and subject distance play a pivotal role in this so if the adapter makes these factors the same as FF you'd expect DOF to be the same (assuming same effective aperture).
I just ordered a 40 to 150 f2.8 and 1.4X converter for £829 from HDEW.
I've been toying with the exact same purchase but I think that could well end up in a serious martial argument if I bought any more camera gear at the mo ;)

I've been toying with the exact same purchase but I think that could well end up in a serious martial argument if I bought any more camera gear at the mo ;)

It was a manager special at that price and it was ending Thursday so I went for it. It is still showing at that price which is good price second-hand

I will be selling 9- 18mm to help pay for it.

Last edited:
Watched some more videos and read some more blogs on this Sigma lens, looks great. Ideally would like the PL 42.5mm f1.2, but at half price the Sigma is looking favourable. That being said I don't get the chance to shoot portraits anyway so might just be best to go cheap and buy the 45mm f1.8 ;)

The 45mm f1.8is a corker for the price it was my 2nd lens purchase for my 4/3 system another highly recommended prime with outstanding performance if you want something longer is the m.75mm f1.8

I sold my 12-40mm f2.8 lens as I felt it too much for the EM5 MKII, I know others felt it was fine, but I felt it uncomfortable to use. I replaced it with the Panny 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 its a bit shorter and much lighter. It's a decent enough lens but now I have the EM1.2 i've been hankering for another 12-40mm. As an alternative I was thinking of the 12-100mm pro lens, seems to cover all the focal lengths I would generally use. Does anyone on here have one of these is it as good as the reviews suggest it is?

It was a manager special at that price and it was ending Thursday so I went for it. It is still showing at that price which is good price second-hand

I will be selling 9- 18mm to help pay for it.
TBH I can’t work out the sales on HDEW, stuff comes up as managers specials for a limited time but then the time comes and they’re still on managers special or (like the 40-150mm has) they end up in the normal sale section for the same price. Either way £829 for the ‘kit’ is a great deal imo (y)
The 45mm f1.8is a corker for the price it was my 2nd lens purchase for my 4/3 system another highly recommended prime with outstanding performance if you want something longer is the m.75mm f1.8
I’ve had two 45mm F1.8’s in the past ;)

So pretty much what I said then ;) :p

It got me thinking last night, I've been looking at the Sigma 56mm f1.4, but this gives me a slightly odd 112mm FOV. I then thought I could buy the e-mount version plus adapter and get a 79.5mm FOV f1.0 lens. However, £329 (grey) for the lens plus £399 for a speed booster you're then stepping into Panny Leica 42.5mm f1.2 price territory (grey), and I think I'd rather have the PL lens. Then looking into it further you can't get an e-mount to m4/3 speed booster anyway :facepalm: :LOL:

Don't know if you're interested but these are the images I found using the ROKKOR on the Pen EPL1 (about 1/3-/1/2 way down the page). They really remind me of old 35mm film pics, proper nostalgia ;) I'm wondering if it's just a 'dumb' adapter though as I can't find a speed booster for Minolta/Sony A-mount to m4/3 speed booster?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/teaboneski/albums/72157624794724784/with/4922534000/

I'd never spend that much on an adapter unless I had a bunch of lenses to suit already. The Viltrox EF-M2 can be had for about £85 now, they used to be closer to 200. Some say it's as good as the metabones, others have had issues, sample variation and all that, but Viltrox have updated the fw for it numerous times, adding more lenses to the compatibility list, including EF-S lenses [you have to perform some surgery on most of those for them to fit the M2, they will fit the M1 non focal reducer no problem] You are restricted to Canon mount for any kind of AF unfortunately. Would be really cool if they could figure how to work AF for Nikon/Sony lenses too.

Here is a Minolta to M43 focal reducer: https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Focal-Reduc...-mount-lens-to-Micro-4-3-M43-GX7/322196016669

I sold my 12-40mm f2.8 lens as I felt it too much for the EM5 MKII, I know others felt it was fine, but I felt it uncomfortable to use. I replaced it with the Panny 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 its a bit shorter and much lighter. It's a decent enough lens but now I have the EM1.2 i've been hankering for another 12-40mm. As an alternative I was thinking of the 12-100mm pro lens, seems to cover all the focal lengths I would generally use. Does anyone on here have one of these is it as good as the reviews suggest it is?

I have both; the 12-40 f/2.8 is superb and the 12-100 f/4.0 is very very close. Given that the 12-100 is effectively a superzoom, there are supposed to be compromises in IQ, but the only noticeable compromise seems to be the loss of a stop of light - I really don't know how Olympus managed to pull this off. The 12-100 is heavier and bulkier than the 12-40 though. And more expensive.

If I plan to bring 2 camera bodies, I usually bring the 12-40 f/2.8 and the 40-150 f/2.8. If I can only bring one body and I'm not shooting action, I'll bring the 12-100 f/4.0. The 12-100 f/4.0 is the ideal travel/walkaround lens for me.

I've threatened to sell my 12-40 a few times, to get a couple nice primes - but it's a hard one to let go. I wouldn't trade it for another zoom, I think it's the best option for the range for the system bar none. Someone on here had the 12-100 I believe, either way I've seen reviews for it and they were all very positive. Just know it's pretty much built like a bigger, heavier 12-40. It's got good range, but I'd rather have the 2.8 and use a lighter tele lens for when I need some reach. Maybe something like the 45-175, combined with the 12-40 that's no heavier in the bag than the 12-100 alone, but you'd have the lighter 12-40 on cam mostly. 200g less doesn't seem all that much but when it's added weight on your wrist for longer sessions you'll notice.

.............The 12-100 f/4.0 is the ideal travel/walkaround lens for me.
Thats what I was thinking too.
Maybe something like the 45-175, combined with the 12-40 that's no heavier in the bag than the 12-100 alone, but you'd have the lighter 12-40 on cam mostly. 200g less doesn't seem all that much but when it's added weight on your wrist for longer sessions you'll notice.

I have the panny 45-175 already, I've also just bought off here recently a cheap oly 40-150 f4-5.6 for comparison with the 45-175mm. If I bought the 12-100, I'd sell those and the 12-60 too. I had the 12-40mm combined with the 45-175 and it is a good combination. I may stick to my original plan and just buy another 12-40mm.

Last edited:
Anyone had the 14-140 or any of the similar lenses? Was looking at one as a walkabout, I tend to use longer lens than other people!

I've got the earlier version of the Panasonic 14-140mm lens. Mine is the F4-5.8 version, the later ones are F3.5-f5.6. My lens lived on my GH3 most of the time, I found the range to be particularly useful. Optically, it seems to be pretty good and the image stabilisation is quite good as well. However, the more I used it, the more loose the zoom control has become, such that that lens will zoom out or retract if the camera is pointed up and down. My Lumix 100-300mm also has a rather poor and stiff zoom action as well and my impression is that the lenses are not as well built as the Olympus zoom lenses or as satisfying to use, but still produce good results is in good light conditions.

Last edited:
Anyone had the 14-140 or any of the similar lenses? Was looking at one as a walkabout, I tend to use longer lens than other people!

I also had the Panasonic 14-140 f/4-5.8. IQ was OK given the zoom range, but I mainly used it for video anyway. Never had a problem with build quality, but again I didn't use it that much. I sold mine after I got the Olympus 12-100 f/4.0.

I've got the earlier version of the Panasonic 14-140mm lens. Mine is the F4-5.8 version, the later ones are F3.5-f5.6. My lens lived on my GH3 most of the time, I found the range to be particularly useful. Optically, it seems to be pretty good and the image stabilisation is quite good as well. However, the more I used it, the more loose the zoom control has become, such that that lens will zoom out or retract if the camera is pointed up and down. My Lumix 100-300mm also has a rather poor and still zoom action as well and my impression is that the lenses are not as well built as the Olympus zoom lenses or as satisfying to use, but still produce good results is in good light conditions.
I also had the Panasonic 14-140 f/4-5.8. IQ was OK given the zoom range, but I mainly used it for video anyway. Never had a problem with build quality, but again I didn't use it that much. I sold mine after I got the Olympus 12-100 f/4.0.
Thanks gents I think I will look out for a S/H one for when I am out on the motorbike (which is a lot).

If you check the Olympus website, I think Steve Gosling uses the 12 - 100mm - he's one of their ambassadors and they pay for their own kit, we are told.

Thanks gents I think I will look out for a S/H one for when I am out on the motorbike (which is a lot).

Actually I think the Olympus 14-150 might be a better bet for this. Also the second version of the Panasonic 14-140 was supposedly better than the first version as well.

Here's a few reviews:
https://www.opticallimits.com/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/645-oly_m14150_456
https://www.opticallimits.com/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/682-pana14140?start=2
https://www.imaging-resource.com/le...f3.5-5.6-asph-power-ois-lumix-g-vario/review/

Would carrying 2 lenses be an option? You could probably get the Panasonic 12-32 or 14-45 kit lens and the Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6 for the same budget and get better IQ at the cost of having to switch lenses.

Actually I think the Olympus 14-150 might be a better bet for this. Also the second version of the Panasonic 14-140 was supposedly better than the first version as well.

Here's a few reviews:
https://www.opticallimits.com/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/645-oly_m14150_456
https://www.opticallimits.com/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/682-pana14140?start=2
https://www.imaging-resource.com/le...f3.5-5.6-asph-power-ois-lumix-g-vario/review/

Would carrying 2 lenses be an option? You could probably get the Panasonic 12-32 or 14-45 kit lens and the Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6 for the same budget and get better IQ at the cost of having to switch lenses.
Yes that is an option, I am looking to "phase out" my Sony A580 and 17-35&28-135 for the summer, I think I will be going all MFT.

Anyone considering the new 12-200? I think it's a bit pricey for what it is at £799, impressive range or not! Bit dark on the long end for me at 6.3 when there's much cheaper ways to get brighter and better reach, but could be the ideal travel lens. I guess if you happened to live in a very bright and sunny location it could also be the ideal always on, do all lens. Switch to a prime when you want teh 'bokeh'

Last edited:
I was using CAF + the 5 point cross focus patch instead of the usual 9 point focus patch at Bushy Parkrun today - I don't think it was detrimental and it might have increased the number of keepers I got today slightly. Overcast conditions unfortunately. E-M1II + 40-150 f/2.8:

20190302_091532_167 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

I was using CAF + the 5 point cross focus patch instead of the usual 9 point focus patch at Bushy Parkrun today - I don't think it was detrimental and it might have increased the number of keepers I got today slightly. Overcast conditions unfortunately. E-M1II + 40-150 f/2.8:

20190302_091532_167 by Maarten D'Haese, on Flickr

I find 5 point to be the most useful of the clusters

Last edited:
I have both; the 12-40 f/2.8 is superb and the 12-100 f/4.0 is very very close. Given that the 12-100 is effectively a superzoom, there are supposed to be compromises in IQ, but the only noticeable compromise seems to be the loss of a stop of light - I really don't know how Olympus managed to pull this off. The 12-100 is heavier and bulkier than the 12-40 though. And more expensive.

If I plan to bring 2 camera bodies, I usually bring the 12-40 f/2.8 and the 40-150 f/2.8. If I can only bring one body and I'm not shooting action, I'll bring the 12-100 f/4.0. The 12-100 f/4.0 is the ideal travel/walkaround lens for me.
I’ve thought about getting the 12-100mm f4 but tbh it’s kust starting to move away from the ‘small’ walkabout system I bought the M4/3 system for, plus you lose a stop of light and that can be crucial due to m4/3 not being the best at noise handling. Most of the time on my travels I don’t have a tripod so that extra stop can make a difference. Add onto that the 40-150mm f4.5-5.6R is so light you don’t notice it in your pocket I’d rather walk about with that two lens combo. I rarely use the 40-150mm though in these situations and find 12-40mm is sufficient. YMMV.

Who says you can’t do shallow DOF with M43. This is one of my first shots with my new EM1X using my 40-150 F2.8 Pro wide open. Straight out of camera jpeg - no editing whatsoever.

Who says you can’t do shallow DOF with M43. This is one of my first shots with my new EM1X using my 40-150 F2.8 Pro wide open. Straight out of camera jpeg - no editing whatsoever.

Those who have never used the system usually, I've proven many a time it's not hard to get nice shallow DOF when you desire it - won a wildlife photo book on here a little while back for one such image [Autumn leaf with nice Autumnal bokeh backdrop]

Lovely doggy btw :)

@snerkler this just popped up on my YT feed earlier, a Medium Format focal reducer for FF - It shows a Kipon Mamiya MF to Canon EOS R adapter for FF ML to get closer to the medium format look with old Mamiya lenses:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VwtZThygs

Posting the link rather than embedding because obviously it's not M43 or Olympus related - BUT - I had a search about and the same adapter can be had for M43! I wonder how these medium format lenses would perform on our M43 bodies? It's intrigued me. We wouldn't get the same DOF or sharpness maybe, but if these old lenses are that good, we're getting the best portion, the centre - and we do get some reducing, just not as much as the EOS R in the vid would

This is the same adapter for M43: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipon-Ba...d:g:jEYAAOSwy5ZXB2qO:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

[edit] seems the new forum just auto displays the video, I did just post the link, so sorry for anyone considering it off topic

Last edited:

Those that don’t know what they’re talking about ;) Shallow DOF is easily achieved with m4/3, you just struggle to get as shallow DOF as larger formats.

@snerkler this just popped up on my YT feed earlier, a Medium Format focal reducer for FF - It shows a Kipon Mamiya MF to Canon EOS R adapter for FF ML to get closer to the medium format look with old Mamiya lenses:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5VwtZThygs

Posting the link rather than embedding because obviously it's not M43 or Olympus related - BUT - I had a search about and the same adapter can be had for M43! I wonder how these medium format lenses would perform on our M43 bodies? It's intrigued me. We wouldn't get the same DOF or sharpness maybe, but if these old lenses are that good, we're getting the best portion, the centre - and we do get some reducing, just not as much as the EOS R in the vid would

This is the same adapter for M43: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipon-Ba...d:g:jEYAAOSwy5ZXB2qO:rk:5:pf:1&frcectupt=true

[edit] seems the new forum just auto displays the video, I did just post the link, so sorry for anyone considering it off topic
Cool I’ll look at that later, thanks.

Last one from today on the footplate. Zhongi lens Turbo II and Tamron 90mm F2.5. All shots SOC except for resizing and one conversion to black and white. As a macro lens, this lens is great, but I need better weather to check the image quality for typical prime usage.

P3030023RS.jpg

Last one from today on the footplate. Zhongi lens Turbo II and Tamron 90mm F2.5. All shots SOC except for resizing and one conversion to black and white. As a macro lens, this lens is great, but I need better weather to check the image quality for typical prime usage.

View attachment 238845

This one doesn't seem to be in focus?

I’ve got a couple of questions regarding the EM1-II. Firstly, is there a way to set a button to quick access grid settings so I can quickly toggle it on and off without having to go into the menus?

Secondly, on the SCP I have a couple of empty slots as shown in the attachment (the highlighted slot and one next to it). Why is this and can I add anything to them, in fact can you customise the SCP completely?

7A616FA3-4229-4CE0-9D53-7176337CBFD2.jpeg

I’ve got a couple of questions regarding the EM1-II. Firstly, is there a way to set a button to quick access grid settings so I can quickly toggle it on and off without having to go into the menus?

Do you mean SCP Toby?
If so once it's enabled (Gear, D1, Control settings) you just hit the OK button.
I have it enabled in all modes.

As far as I know you can't edit it (would nice if you could).

Secondly, on the SCP I have a couple of empty slots as shown in the attachment (the highlighted slot and one next to it). Why is this and can I add anything to them, in fact can you customise the SCP completely?

View attachment 238855

I thought there was a way to choose more or less detail, but going through the menus now I can't find it, not necessarily specifying what.

I have the same blanks. Interesting that you've chosen a 3:2 aspect ratio.

If I needed the grid on or off, I might choose the Custom settings C1, C2 etc to save the setting, but then you save everything else with it :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This one doesn't seem to be in focus?
It's not perfect I agree, but the train was about to depart, so it was taken in a bit of a hurry! Shutter speed 1/50 sec, which should be fine, so probably my focusing error in the low light.

Back