Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The EM1 mk 2 hasn't been announced so I guess sept next year before we see anything, one thing Andrew th EM1 does stacking inside the camera, and also has bracketing. The 5 only does bracketing and you use PS or Zerene to stack them....its just a feature they gave the flagship em1.

I cAnt wait as it will help my macro heaps

Is there a way to set an over or under expose +/- with this technique?

No, I don't think so, not with a dial at any rate. The metering info is still available in the viewfinder so it's possible to move the camera around a bit (so it meters on a brighter/dimmer scene) and watch the +/- bar change, then hit the exposure lock button to effectively set some compensation before recomposing. Alternatively you could use spot metering for more precision and also lock that down when necessary.

Mostly though this technique is for when you kinda trust the metering (and it's quite accurate in non-challenging situations). If I'm working inside in variable lighting and/or with flash I tend to set my ISO exactly if I'm in Manual, rather than use Auto, or I just flip back to A or S mode and use a slightly different technique.

Thanks. Shame. Does AEL lock the ISO?

Yes, on the basis that ISO is the only thing left to lock in Manual when aperture and shutter are already fixed.

It's possible someone else might know if it's possible to use AEL in Manual? I tired mapping a button for AEL Lock and that didn't work, so perhaps Olympus don't offer this option right now. It would be useful if they did.

Yay got my screen protector, sorting a camera bag so really just now need to think of a decent strap for the em10.

What do people use? I had a blackrapid for the Canon DSLR and still have it, great strap, but way too big for the omd, so anyone got any recommendations?

I saw a family friend use the E-M1 last weekend paired with the Pro 12-40 for a 1st Birthday Party. I was amazed at how small the set-up was compared to something like a D750 24-70 set-up. He was able to get in and out and go about his business without causing too much annoyance.

I did not get a chance to test it myself nor see the end results but how good is something like the E-10 / 5 / 1 with a one prime set-up to capture and document my toddler growing up? I was looking at something like the RX100 or LX100 but these Olmpus seem to offer a lot more flexibility and aren't overly big.

I saw a family friend use the E-M1 last weekend paired with the Pro 12-40 for a 1st Birthday Party. I was amazed at how small the set-up was compared to something like a D750 24-70 set-up. He was able to get in and out and go about his business without causing too much annoyance.

I did not get a chance to test it myself nor see the end results but how good is something like the E-10 / 5 / 1 with a one prime set-up to capture and document my toddler growing up? I was looking at something like the RX100 or LX100 but these Olmpus seem to offer a lot more flexibility and aren't overly big.
I have the 12-40mm f2.8 on my EM5-II and it's an excellent lens. My issues with this set up is that in order to get any subject isolation of any kind you have to shoot wide open and it's not quite as sharp as I'd like wide open.

For 'portraits' of your toddler the 45mm f1.8 is a better option IMO assuming you have the room to shoot at 90mm eq. It's really tiny and light too. Of course if you have money to burn and want the creme de la creme the 42.5mm Noct is a stunning lens.

That being said, I still choose my D750 over the Olly for everything other than travel.

I have the 12-40mm f2.8 on my EM5-II and it's an excellent lens. My issues with this set up is that in order to get any subject isolation of any kind you have to shoot wide open and it's not quite as sharp as I'd like wide open.

For 'portraits' of your toddler the 45mm f1.8 is a better option IMO assuming you have the room to shoot at 90mm eq. It's really tiny and light too. Of course if you have money to burn and want the creme de la creme the 42.5mm Noct is a stunning lens.

That being said, I still choose my D750 over the Olly for everything other than travel.

Your point about the D750 is what I hear again and again about DSLR vs M4/3 set-up. I enjoy using my D750 with my primes and 24-70 but I always find it overkill to take snaps of my toddler rather than actual project work. I have seen the Olympus 17/25/45 and they all seem solid choices.

Essentially what I wanted was something small to take out on walks, restaurant and family visits rather than wanting to take the D750. I even purchased the 35mm F2 D to make the D750 smaller but always keep wanting something even more smaller and as capable!

Last edited:
Your point about the D750 is what I hear again and again about DSLR vs M4/3 set-up. I enjoy using my D750 with my primes and 24-70 but I always find it overkill to take snaps of my toddler rather than actual project work. I have seen the Olympus 17/25/45 and they all seem solid choices.

Essentially what I wanted was something small to take out on walks, restaurant and family visits rather than wanting to take the D750. I even purchased the 35mm F2 D to make the D750 smaller but always keep wanting something even more smaller and as capable!
I don't see why the D750 is overkill tbh. It's a very nice camera to use, and in terms of FF is one of the smaller bodies. Plus, even though they're snaps don't you want them to be the best they can be? ;)

I don't see why the D750 is overkill tbh. It's a very nice camera to use, and in terms of FF is one of the smaller bodies. Plus, even though they're snaps don't you want them to be the best they can be? ;)
It may be a nice camera but with a lens on it it's a big fat lump and at low to quite high ISO's and in prints up to... (depends on your view...) you wont see any great image quality advantage over a much smaller and lighter mirrorless camera and lens.

Each to his own and I do like my FF luxury kit but being honest with myself for a moment even if the images are as you put it, the best that they can be, the occasions on which there'll be a visible image quality advantage over a good smaller sensor camera and lens when viewing the final whole image are few and far between unless printing very large or cropping like crazy or when shooting at stratospheric ISO's. Unless you are doing these extreme things a FF DSLR could well be overkill... IMO.

It may be a nice camera but with a lens on it it's a big fat lump and at low to quite high ISO's and in prints up to... (depends on your view...) you wont see any great image quality advantage over a much smaller and lighter mirrorless camera and lens.

Each to his own and I do like my FF luxury kit but being honest with myself for a moment even if the images are as you put it, the best that they can be, the occasions on which there'll be a visible image quality advantage over a good smaller sensor camera and lens when viewing the final whole image are few and far between unless printing very large or cropping like crazy or when shooting at stratospheric ISO's. Unless you are doing these extreme things a FF DSLR could well be overkill... IMO.
I still prefer the look of FF. Sure if someone put two random images side by side then I might not tell the difference as there's a lot of different factors, but looking at my own images I always prefer my shots with the D750 over the EM5-II, even with comparable lenses. Sometimes there's not much in it, but I generally find my FF shots have more pop and depth. And if it's all in my head then so be it :p

I am very picky though, and the IQ of the EM5-II is excellent.

Last edited:
a couple of questions about the EM-1. (i've just bought one!) Do they use the same batteries as the EM-5?

and this must be the millionth time that this question has been asked so sorry but screen protector, which one? i've had a couple in the past that really alter the view of the screen.

thanks

i've been using M43 for years mainly with primes and they are great, as you say not obtrusive, with a fast prime they will do what you want and they render really well. as mentioned the 45mm is a great little lens and can be picked up quite cheaply. check them out of flickr and you'll see what it can do.

a couple of questions about the EM-1. (i've just bought one!) Do they use the same batteries as the EM-5?

and this must be the millionth time that this question has been asked so sorry but screen protector, which one? i've had a couple in the past that really alter the view of the screen.

thanks
Yes.

wow! i'm not used to that sort of common sense approach to batteries!! I was expecting they would use something different and force me to get another new spare

The E-M10 is different though

thanks

No idea on the batteries mate but I just bought this screen protector and it's a perfect fit, no issues and went on first time. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321779244502?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT does em10 and em1

Yay got my screen protector, sorting a camera bag so really just now need to think of a decent strap for the em10.

What do people use? I had a blackrapid for the Canon DSLR and still have it, great strap, but way too big for the omd, so anyone got any recommendations?

anyone?

I bought a cheap sling strap off Amazon and converted it from tripod screw to single eyelet attachment with a quick release clip.

I use mine on a BR Sport Sling strap and don't think it's too big, I just find it more comfortable to have it across my body rather than around my neck. The most comfortable neck strap I found though was the Matin Curved neoprene, way more comfortable than the original one, and straps like the Optech neoprene ones IMO.

Maybe a bit arty farty for you but etsy have some cool retro ones?

Nah, can't be doing with arty type ones, I need function not looks :)

I use mine on a BR Sport Sling strap and don't think it's too big, I just find it more comfortable to have it across my body rather than around my neck. The most comfortable neck strap I found though was the Matin Curved neoprene, way more comfortable than the original one, and straps like the Optech neoprene ones IMO.

Had optechs before and never got on with them, much preferred the sling type. I just thought my BR strap ( I have the double but only use the one half) would be too much for a m4/3 camera. I might give it a go though googles thrown up the peak designs which look nifty.

Still not hit the button on a strap but just bagged the kit f4 40-150 lens for £37 on ebay :clap: I know it's not the pro, but for now it'll open up the reach and my use of the camera :)
I got one for £100 and am just amazed at how good it is for the price/weight.

I've put a Peak Design strap on mine which I already had. It is light and works well, although I don't need the flexibility to attach and detach the strap on this camera, so may replace it eventually.

The EM1 mk 2 hasn't been announced so I guess sept next year before we see anything, one thing Andrew th EM1 does stacking inside the camera, and also has bracketing. The 5 only does bracketing and you use PS or Zerene to stack them....its just a feature they gave the flagship em1.

I cAnt wait as it will help my macro heaps

I generally shoot raw, so I guess I would have to stack in 3rd party software even on the EM1?

Still not sure which to go for, so might see if I can get a hands on somewhere. One thing too is the lack of the full flip out and swivel screen on the EM1. Missed that when I moved from Canon as it is so useful for low/odd angle macro shooting. Would the wireless shooting maybe help there though?
Other than that just want to check the actual size of the two compared to my E-PL5 as I have really got used to the small body and ease of one handed shooting occasionally.

People are divided over the 2 types of articulated screen. As they both have pros and cons. The EM1 flip up screen is quicker to pop up and pop away. And unobtrusive for candids. But the EM5ii type is better for portrait mode. And selfies! And folds away inwards protecting the screen surface.

Last edited:
I must admit I do use the flip out a lot when I'm doing macro, and in answer to your question I'm unsure I know the stacked image is a JPEG but I think you may be able to use raw... But of course you can shoot raw and stack yourself

I must admit I do use the flip out a lot when I'm doing macro, and in answer to your question I'm unsure I know the stacked image is a JPEG but I think you may be able to use raw... But of course you can shoot raw and stack yourself
I prefer the fully articulated screen type.
People are divided over the 2 types of articulated screen. As they both have pros and cons. The EM1 flip up screen is quicker to pop up and pop away. And unobtrusive for candids. But the EM5ii type is better for portrait mode. And selfies! And folds away inwards protecting the screen surface.

I rarerly use the screen for macro except when the subject is out of ordinary reach.

Last edited:
Having used both screens firstly on panasonic M4/3 and then Olympus I have to say that the fully articulated wins hands down. It's one of the things I miss from panasonic (that and easy clear menus)

A few from the other week with E-M5 and 75mm (because I didn't have anything longer!)

We went to a sealed knot re-enactment and initially I didn't get why they did it, not really my cup of tea, it didn't take long to work it out though.

Last edited:
Having used both screens firstly on panasonic M4/3 and then Olympus I have to say that the fully articulated wins hands down. It's one of the things I miss from panasonic (that and easy clear menus)
The problem with the Olympus fully articulated screen, is the EVF is off whenever the screen is open. Meaning you can't switch between them quickly like you can with the flip up screen. I hope Panasonic didn't have that limitation.

Last edited:
I prefer the tilt my old EM10 to my current fully articulated EM5-II

Back