Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

certainly a set of cheap triggers and a couple of older flashes will get your creative juices going

I've got a couple of old minolta flashes amd triggers and the are much more fun than fitting one to the camera, particularly if you have time to compose, tweak and play around.

certainly a set of cheap triggers and a couple of older flashes will get your creative juices going
I think that's my problem at the moment. When I am unable to partake of my normal photographic interests, my mojo seems non existant, with no enthusiasm at all. I usually relish new challenges but not sure where that person has gone at the moment.
Having said that, all the responses from the folk on here are giving me a glimmer of hope, so I may check out Flickr for inspirational images, and google info for how to make best use of a flash. Thank you all for your responses. I really appreciate the help and encouragement!

Good man.

For all things flash google Strobist 101 and make a brew.
Thank you for that Paul. Looks very interesting! But you missed out the wo in front of the man at the start of your post ;) Mind you my name doesn't give many clues to my gender does it. Thank you again!

I know nothing about flash photography, but for health reasons I am considering using flash on my EM-5 MKII, and trying my hand at indoor stuff in the house. Not sure what yet, but would anyone be able to recommend a decent flash, for a beginner that isn't too pricey please?
Sorry to be so vauge, but as I say it's a step into the unkown for me, so I am hoping I will feel more enthused once I start!
Many thanks!
For indoor stuff, table lamps, torches, mirrors and bits of card are great fun. You see the effect of moving a lamp as you move it. No surprises or high-tech like flash guns.
As for subjects, start on the fruit bowl. Buy all sorts of different fruits and shoot them individually, or all together. Natural light. Low key, high key. Cloth or wood backgrounds. Cheeses with a cheese knife. Rusty shed key. Anything that comes to hand.

Ooh! That's got me thinking now....

Thank you for that Paul. Looks very interesting! But you missed out the wo in front of the man at the start of your post ;) Mind you my name doesn't give many clues to my gender does it. Thank you again!

LOL, sorry about that.

Guys anyone know date for the amazing firmwares or is it still sometime in November

Does the Olympus 7 - 14 2.8 pro extend externally when zooming ?
Thanks.

I have a question for any fellow Olympus 75mm 1.8 owners...

I love then lens, and think it's fantastic. The below photo I'm happy with, nice and sharp, exposure etc etc.

However, when I zoom to 100%, it kind of looks like a painting, there is a strange "texture" to the image. I don't know if this is just a thing with the EM5 Mark 2 sensor, the lens or something else. I can't say it bothers me, as you never know it's there without extreme pixel peeping, just curious more than anything.

Is anyone able to see this by downloading and zooming into the file? Is the file uploaded in 100% original quality?

Thanks!

_A250741.jpg

I have a question for any fellow Olympus 75mm 1.8 owners...

I love then lens, and think it's fantastic. The below photo I'm happy with, nice and sharp, exposure etc etc.

However, when I zoom to 100%, it kind of looks like a painting, there is a strange "texture" to the image. I don't know if this is just a thing with the EM5 Mark 2 sensor, the lens or something else. I can't say it bothers me, as you never know it's there without extreme pixel peeping, just curious more than anything.

Is anyone able to see this by downloading and zooming into the file? Is the file uploaded in 100% original quality?

Thanks!

[It's not a full size file so cannot comment on the image it's self except to say it does not look sharp and may have something to what you are seeing I have not found it with my images.

Taken with the E-m5 MK2 and 75mm at f1.8 @ 1/200sec. ISO 500 a 100% crop.
original.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All, I am usually a Canon man but a friend of mine got an Olympus and raved about it so I invested in a 5 Mark II, Love it so far but one strange thing, I cannot fathom out how to turn on picture preview. I take a shot through EVF, look at screen but nothing. Where do I turn that on?

Many Thanks

I have the E M10

Menu system should be much the same...

Assume the Rec View must be set to zero.

Anyway, try "menu"; "firmware (spanner icon)"; "Rec view";

Set to required time.

Hope I have helped...

Mj

Last edited:
Hi All, I am usually a Canon man but a friend of mine got an Olympus and raved about it so I invested in a 5 Mark II, Love it so far but one strange thing, I cannot fathom out how to turn on picture preview. I take a shot through EVF, look at screen but nothing. Where do I turn that on?

Many Thanks
I assume you mean you want to view the pic after you've taken it? You can set it to show automatically after a shot and the length of time it's displayed in the menu system, or you can simply press the play button on the back of the camera.

I assume you mean you want to view the pic after you've taken it? You can set it to show automatically after a shot and the length of time it's displayed in the menu system, or you can simply press the play button on the back of the camera.

Hi Yes you are correct. I can't find where in the menu :-( Not used to Olympus menu system

The Oly 75mm prime on an E-P5 shows no textural structure of the kind you describe. It is a truly awesome lens, and one I have in my Lowepro Streamline 100 camera bag along with the E-P5 and a 17mm prime or other lens.

am thinking about a 62mm ND filter for my 12-40. Initially i though of a 10 stop but then i wondered if that would be too restrictive. So I'm wondering if i'd be better with a 6 stop and using live composite ? Anyone got any experience ?

am thinking about a 62mm ND filter for my 12-40. Initially i though of a 10 stop but then i wondered if that would be too restrictive. So I'm wondering if i'd be better with a 6 stop and using live composite ? Anyone got any experience ?

I use a 6 stop Hitech square filter and while I can get long exposures I am feeling the need for a 10 stop as try and avoid Low ISO and going over f16 not tried composite though with th it.

I was thinking composite because you can start from 1/2s shutter speeds..

I was thinking composite because you can start from 1/2s shutter speeds..

What are you aiming to shoot as cloud or water movement could end up a bit wierd I think.

I use a 10 stop with step down rings (it's 77mm for my Nikon lens) and don't find it restrictive. The purpose of these types of filters is slow shutter speeds anyway.

I use 10 stop Hoya pro 62mm fits my fz1000 too. Much easier though on live comp

Quick question please- can you turn preview off in burst mode so I can follow the action whilst holding the shutter down and looking through the viewfinder?
thanks

Quick question please- can you turn preview off in burst mode so I can follow the action whilst holding the shutter down and looking through the viewfinder?
thanks
You can turn image review off via the menus, but you will still get a moments blackout between shots.

Back