Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Thanks, I have shutter speed and aperture too but if I flick the little leaver down I get ISO and white balance, I just find WB to be something I almost never change from Auto so it would be handier for it to be something else (bracketing, exposure compensation etc). The thing is ISO/WB always seem to be paired, just seems like a strange choice to me especially since lots of other things can be changed but not that

Thanks, I have shutter speed and aperture too but if I flick the little leaver down I get ISO and white balance, I just find WB to be something I almost never change from Auto so it would be handier for it to be something else (bracketing, exposure compensation etc). The thing is ISO/WB always seem to be paired, just seems like a strange choice to me especially since lots of other things can be changed but not that

Ah, fair enough. Yes, it's an odd combo, and I also find it annoying if WB gets inadvertantly adjusted.

It annoys me that they have a limited list of things to choose from when customising. It seems a bit hap hazard.
They could give us more choice without making it more complicated. Or costing any more.

Last edited:
40-150 Pro incoming...hope i don't regret it but I didn't use the 75-300ii more than 3 times a year so that was sold on Monday and the P35-100 2.8 sold today
Got a good deal on the Pro and will need to add a TC

Has anyone found a way of not having White Balance on one of the dials? I generally shoot Raw with Auto WB and would correct in Lightroom if necessary. it is annoying as I so often seem to change the WB when I mean to change the ISO.
I don't use the lever at all. In fact I can't remember what I've set it to, but I've set one of the top function buttons (Fn2) to give me ISO on the front dial and WB on the back dial (which I virtually never change). This means I can change the ISO without removing my eye from the viewfinder. Particularly useful if I'm in manual mode and want to exposure compensate.

I don't use the lever at all. In fact I can't remember what I've set it to, but I've set one of the top function buttons (Fn2) to give me ISO on the front dial and WB on the back dial (which I virtually never change). This means I can change the ISO without removing my eye from the viewfinder. Particularly useful if I'm in manual mode and want to exposure compensate.

It just seems a bit strange to me to pair ISO and WB and there does not seem to be way of changing that pairing. I'm not so fussed about which lever or button more about having ISO+SomehtingElse on the two dials. Anyway looks like I'm stuck with it so best just get over it and move on.

I just want to jump between Auto ISO and a favourite ISO and back.
I also want to jump between single frame and continuously and back. Not poss as far as I'm aware. You have to activate a setting and then scroll through them. And the same to get back.

Many times I seen an animal or bird, when on single frame. I don't want to take my eye away from the viewfinder when I'm waiting for it to pounce or take off, incase I miss that. But I really want continuous frame L or H to make the best of it.

Last edited:
40-150 Pro incoming...hope i don't regret it but I didn't use the 75-300ii more than 3 times a year so that was sold on Monday and the P35-100 2.8 sold today
Got a good deal on the Pro and will need to add a TC

Nice one, although I'm still gutted I missed out :( ......mainly due to an airshow in my town this weekend...probably wouldn't use it again for months after ( so probably saved me money really) :)

Last edited:
In that case, hoorah for me :D

I only really used it for air shows in August and the occasional dragonfly

Thanks, I have shutter speed and aperture too but if I flick the little leaver down I get ISO and white balance
On my 5mkii I have the lever set to mode 5 so it swaps between auto and manual focus, something I find a nuisance having to use the SCP for on the EM10.

40-150 Pro received...first impressions are "oooh, its big and front heavy on the E-M1" but most of its visual bulk is from the retractable hood. Lens is absolutely mint, amazing detail captured by it

Holy crap it is only after spending a day with my DSLR that I realise just how good the olympus metering is.

Now my DSLR is no slouch, a 5Diii, but the little E-M10 walks all over it when it comes to metering and auto white balance.

40-150 Pro received...first impressions are "oooh, its big and front heavy on the E-M1" but most of its visual bulk is from the retractable hood. Lens is absolutely mint, amazing detail captured by it

i do love the design of that hood.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a screen protector for EM10 II?
I have one of these glass protectors on my 10mk1 and it's excellent; went on really easy with no bubbles
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...Mwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=41c6cQyIDqL&ref=plSrch
I had the expertshield crystal clear protector previous to that, was easy to fit and tough but I caught the corner putting it in my camera bag and it pulled off and creased so couldn't be reused.
Expertshield do a lifetime warranty on their on products but I spotted the glass one and preferred the look of it.
My EM5 mkii has the Expertshield protector fitted, had no trouble with that.

I have one of these glass protectors on my 10mk1 and it's excellent; went on really easy with no bubbles
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...Mwebp_QL65&dpPl=1&dpID=41c6cQyIDqL&ref=plSrch
I had the expertshield crystal clear protector previous to that, was easy to fit and tough but I caught the corner putting it in my camera bag and it pulled off and creased so couldn't be reused.
Expertshield do a lifetime warranty on their on products but I spotted the glass one and preferred the look of it.

Thanks ordered one!

ordered some but looking at them theyre pitted so theyre matt and anti reflective so they will be going back to amazon i think!

Love the 40-150 F2.8. Here's a few shot with the lens and the EM1 of our 10 month old Cocker "Charlie", just chilling out on the lawn recently. Bokeh isn't the best but I guess that's M43 for you.

Last edited:
Love the 40-150 F2.8. Here's a few shot with the lens and the EM1 of our 10 month old Cocker "Charlie", just chilling out on the lawn recently. Bokeh isn't the best but I guess that's M43 for you.

Looks to be a great lens. I would have enjoyed it this weekend at the Isle of Wight Festival. As it is, I'm finding the 75mm 1.8 on my em5ii is superb. Here is an example. I've attempted to also show a 100% crop. Camera held above my head and used the touch screen to focus and take the shot - so not absolutely sure where I focused. ISO 800 1/100 f/3.5 It's a great camera for this sort of photography. 20160609-P6090161-4.jpg20160609-P6090161.jpg

Last edited:

I think that the bokeh is down to the lens, the aperture you set and the distances involved more than MFT cameras necessarily automatically producing unpleasing bokeh.

If you want better bokeh it is possible but maybe not with that lens at that aperture and with that scene.

Tethering answer - Yes 5 metre plus USB tethered shooting works fine with the EM5ii, in fact it even works with a 20 metre active USB repeater cable.

I've just got my first camera of any complexity: a E-M10 MkII, so most of this is new to me. I'm having difficulty understanding the section on page 20 of the full manual regarding shooting using live view, and shooting using the viewfinder. What is live view, and why would one want to use it? Most puzzling is that when I switch on live view, and press OK to go to the 'setting shooting functions' screen, the camera shuts down completely after a couple of seconds. It seems I can only wake it up again by turning it off and on again. Would appreciate any help.

Just answered part of my question myself! The camera is going into 'quick sleep mode' after three seconds. You wake it up by pressing the shutter button. Apologies for not seeing this earlier. Still confused as to what live view is actually for though.

AFAIK live view is just seeing the image detected by the sensor on the rear screen, unless Olympus has given it a special meaning. It's so you can take a picture without having your eye on the view finder..

I needed to switch quick sleep off right away on my EM5ii as I was missing shots with it on. As it was often not ready when I needed it.

Looks to be a great lens. I would have enjoyed it this weekend at the Isle of Wight Festival. As it is, I'm finding the 75mm 1.8 on my em5ii is superb. Here is an example. I've attempted to also show a 100% crop. Camera held above my head and used the touch screen to focus and take the shot - so not absolutely sure where I focused. ISO 800 1/100 f/3.5 It's a great camera for this sort of photography. View attachment 66615View attachment 66616

That could be one of the last pic's of Rick playing a live electric gig after this latest heart attack, they're quitting live electric gigs at the end of the year anyway but there's a new Aquostic album due out Oct 16th & another Aquostic gig planned for Sept 11th, though not sure if that one will come off now.

Just answered part of my question myself! The camera is going into 'quick sleep mode' after three seconds. You wake it up by pressing the shutter button. Apologies for not seeing this earlier. Still confused as to what live view is actually for though.
Live view is viewing the image on the rear screen instead of the view finder.

Surely it just means the current view, regardless of where that is being shown. The image in the viewfinder is live too. If they mean the rear screen, it makes sense to say that.

Last edited:
Surely it just means the current view, regardless of where that is being shown. The image in the viewfinder is live too. If they mean the rear screen, it makes sense to say that.

Live view is a term that originates from digital SLRs where you choose between the optical viewfinder and the 'live' view from the sensor on the rear screen.

Live view is a term that originates from digital SLRs where you choose between the optical viewfinder and the 'live' view from the sensor on the rear screen.
Ok. But as it no longer has a useful meaning with a mirrorless camera, and people are being confused by it as we've seen here, they should pick something different.

Last edited:
Ok. But as it no longer has a useful meaning with a mirrorless camera, and people are being confused by it as we've seen here, they should pick something different.
Very true.

Thanks for that will take a look.

One thing i spotted when i was trying out the remote app on my phone was the the option after Bulb called Live Time! That looks like it will come in very handy when doing long exposures using an ND filter for example. No more guessing at the exposure you can just watch the image appear.

I thought that too but then discovered the camera could meter through a 10 stop...

I use this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LARMOR-Self-Adhesive-Optical-Screen-Protector/dp/B00HF8NZ02
and after 18 months it's still like new. Great buy

Back