Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

A long shot, and a purely hypothetical question, but has anyone moved to Olympus from the Nikon Z system? Specifically the E-M5 mk2 or 3, and for weight reasons (Camera :D ). And moreover, for landscapes rather than ornithological genres.

Might be worth dropping Phil Norton a few questions as I'm sure he still runs both alongside each other.

Last edited:
Yn preparation for the 300 pro arriving next week spent a little time reviewing and understanding technique etc I found this maybe of use to others will use the settings as a starting point

https://tonigenes.blogspot.com/2019/11/olympus-300mm-f40-autofocus-performance.html

I have read before re: Mode 2 or Mode 3 he mentioned. I have mine on Mode 2 but will have another look at Mode 3

Another thing of note (not sure if this was in the above blog?):-
When Imaging Resource tested the 300mm f4 they identified "shutter shock" using the mechanical shutter....... this disappeared when using the Electronic Shutter ;)

Enjoy your new acquisition :)

In preparation for the 300 pro arriving next week spent a little time reviewing and understanding technique etc I found this maybe of use to others I will use the settings as a starting point

https://tonigenes.blogspot.com/2019/11/olympus-300mm-f40-autofocus-performance.html
Trouble is terry every expert has there own version of what works and what doesn’t . I frequently try different things out and have just implemented some changes from this that may or may not work will have a play in the week and see . Personally I’m not yet at the stage where I feel settled with the camera ,

Perhaps there are simply to many options each work to a varying degree and just because one “expert” gets it working for him doesn’t mean it will for us .

For instance loads of people say the mk1 is no good for b.i.f ,it’s not as good as the mkii but does work .

I have also been looking today at peter fosgards ETTR settings and it’s totally different to what I assumed it to be and possibly better for the Panasonic lens as you actually have to dial in negative exp.comp thereby getting faster shutter speeds .. yet to try it though

I have read before re: Mode 2 or Mode 3 he mentioned. I have mine on Mode 2 but will have another look at Mode 3

When Imaging Resource tested the 300mm f4 they identified "shutter shock" using the mechanical shutter....... this disappeared when using the Electronic Shutter ;)

Enjoy your new acquisition :)
Have the electronic shutter set ready and waiting[emoji847]

.... So far I have always used the mechanical shutter. There are pros and cons whether you select Mechanical or Electronic Shutter.

As Jeff says :
Trouble is terry every expert has there own version of what works and what doesn’t .

What works best for one photographer doesn't necessarily work best for another.

Well, since my test and wow session ends tomorrow, I thought I'd stick a couple of shots on here from the last couple of days.

P2010719.jpg by G.A.D, on Flickr

Chimney Pots by G.A.D, on Flickr

The E-M1 ii is fantastic. A real joy to use. I think however I'm going to opt for an E-M5iii. Most of things that 'wowed' me about the E-M1ii are present on the E-M5iii though I admit the grip and ergonomics might be a miss. My usage is mainly landscape and family stuff though and I think the smaller form factor will make more sense more of the time. I briefly comtemplated getting both! Might even revisit that idea when the E-M1iii lands.

And despite how impressed I've been with the 12-100, I've ruled out buying one. They're wonderful but my go to super zoom is the 14-150ii when I want to travel very light and I think that suits the E-M5 better and will save me a few quid. My lenses will be something along the lines of 8-18 Leica, 12-40 2.8, 14-150ii, 40-150 2.8, 75mm 1.8 or m current 45mm 1.2. Probably the former as it's right up there in my top 5 all time favourite lenses. Wish I hadn't sold it. I might grab a 14mm 2.5 again as well as they're great little lenses and cheap and tiny.

Just need to shift my Nikon gear and some other bits and bobs to pay for it all!

Sorry one more. I know this won't impress anyone on here but it surprised me. Almost 80mm equivalent FL, 1s exposure hand held in very strong wind and it looks pretty good to me. Pure voodoo what Olympus does with IBIS and rumours seem to suggest that the E-M1iii will notch it all up another stop again!

Dual IS Test by G.A.D, on Flickr

Last edited:
Trouble is terry every expert has there own version of what works and what doesn’t . I frequently try different things out and have just implemented some changes from this that may or may not work will have a play in the week and see . Personally I’m not yet at the stage where I feel settled with the camera ,

Perhaps there are simply to many options each work to a varying degree and just because one “expert” gets it working for him doesn’t mean it will for us .

For instance loads of people say the mk1 is no good for b.i.f ,it’s not as good as the mkii but does work .

I have also been looking today at peter fosgards ETTR settings and it’s totally different to what I assumed it to be and possibly better for the Panasonic lens as you actually have to dial in negative exp.comp thereby getting faster shutter speeds .. yet to try it though
.... So far I have always used the mechanical shutter. There are pros and cons whether you select Mechanical or Electronic Shutter.

As Jeff says :

What works best for one photographer doesn't necessarily work best for another.

Yup, I agree no one set of settings will be guaranteed to be ideal every time for all users ;)

Having said that as shutter shock is a definable "effect" seen in a specific core action.........I wonder how and whether other none shutter settings can mitigate for it???

Just a thought.........

I wonder if in the new E M1 mark iii they have thought to include in-body charging? I hope so!!

Just a thought.........

I wonder if in the new E M1 mark iii they have thought to include in-body charging? I hope so!!

If the date/timeline is correct......................not too many more days to wait until ???'s answered :)

I think it’s like so many things, familiarity is what I need to get to grips with and stop making excuses.
I do agree that regret would almost certainly manifest itself if I pull the plug on the Oly and that’s not something I want to have.

You're not the only one struggling with Olympus menus, mate!

You're not the only one struggling with Olympus menus, mate!
That’s what worries me, I know there is an element of the ‘unfamiliar’ about it but so many people say that so many of the settings are hidden away or in places you wouldn’t think to look that it puts me off a bit.
I don’t want a camera that complicates things to such an extent that it causes me to lose interest as the opposite is really where I want to be.
I have some time on my side to compare systems and play around with ideas.

E-m5 iii has it so would seem highly likely.

Maybe, maybe not?
The E-M5 and the E-M1 series are slightly different markets......... IMO it is a maybe if the E-M1X had usb charging. Not sure if it has???

Maybe, maybe not?
The E-M5 and the E-M1 series are slightly different markets......... IMO it is a maybe if the E-M1X had usb charging. Not sure if it has???

Yes, E-M1X has it but probably more importantly, almost all if not all of the competition feature USB charging these days. I'd be surprised if Olympus don't do it but there could be a technical hurdle relating to that particular battery, I don't know.

That’s what worries me, I know there is an element of the ‘unfamiliar’ about it but so many people say that so many of the settings are hidden away or in places you wouldn’t think to look that it puts me off a bit.
I don’t want a camera that complicates things to such an extent that it causes me to lose interest as the opposite is really where I want to be.

As an example it took me absolutely ages to find "Format Card" - one of the most obvious and frequently used requests on a digital camera.

As an example it took me absolutely ages to find "Format Card" - one of the most obvious and frequently used requests on a digital camera.

This is IMO another reason for why I hope they "give it a My Menu...." In the menu and even better to add that to the MK2 menu as part of a firmware update!!!

This is IMO another reason for why I hope they "give it a My Menu...." In the menu and even better to add that to the MK2 menu as part of a firmware update!!!

It could do with something. Surprised there is not a button shortcut or something that can be added to the SCP.

I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not a fan of the menu structure either but once you have spent some time up front setting things up the menu won't be needed much. It really is worth going through the pain a bit. There are some good youtube guides that you can watch with the camera in your hand and keep pausing when needed, that's a good place to start. After that, there will be occasional things where the camera's behaviour isn't quite what you're expecting but there is usually an obvious reason why so once those sink in, all is generally fine. One example I used to get caught out by is accidentally knocking the focus clutch on lenses and then wondering why the camera was refusing to auto focus. But you do that a couple of times and it'll not catch you out again. You get the gist. You learn the quirks like any camera.

It's both a blessing and a curse that the cameras are so customisation. The sheet amount of adjustment makes deep menu structure inevitable but that's the price you pay for being able to more or less dictate the way that more or less every single control on the camera works.

Do you think you’ll stay with it?
I had a read of your blog earlier, interesting that you mentioned David Tipling as it was him that got me heading down the Olympus route in the first place.

Takes seconds I find

Takes seconds I find

Well, when you know where it is, yes it does. but why hide it away? Part of the problem is there so many options on the camera (EM1mk2), most of which are more or less unnecessary.

Do you think you’ll stay with it?
I had a read of your blog earlier, interesting that you mentioned David Tipling as it was him that got me heading down the Olympus route in the first place.

Judging by the examples on here and elsewhere, it does seem to excel in the field of bird photography, but I'm not so sure about the landscape. As mentioned earlier I haven't used it much in anger yet but the jury is definitely out on landscape. I'm sticking with it for a while, at least; swapping and changing systems is a waste of resources and it just means more learning. I'm probably more likely to give photography up completely than to change to another system - although I've still got my 6d/24-105.........

Well, when you know where it is, yes it does. but why hide it away? Part of the problem is there so many options on the camera (EM1mk2), most of which are more or less unnecessary.

Judging by the examples on here and elsewhere, it does seem to excel in the field of bird photography, but I'm not so sure about the landscape. As mentioned earlier I haven't used it much in anger yet but the jury is definitely out on landscape. I'm sticking with it for a while, at least; swapping and changing systems is a waste of resources and it just means more learning. I'm probably more likely to give photography up completely than to change to another system - although I've still got my 6d/24-105.........
I have only used 4/3 or m4/3 for my landscapes I am happy with it

one from yesterday ,messing round with some settings while bored , collared dove through double glazed window mk2 + 50-200 SWD+ ec14 tc
your collared by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

One of the advantages with Panasonic and the My Menu option, bung all the most wanted in there
Can't recall if Olympus has one, sold my E-M1 a little while ago, do remember all the hearts and diamonds lark though

Have a look at Alf Branch's landscapes, if you think they jury's still out after looking at those then may I suggest a trip to specsavers ;)

A far cry from Alf's standards, but these are some of my favourites taken with Olympus M4/3

P7092340 re-edit mono 3
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P6132016 re-edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P1250064-HDR
by TDG-77, on Flickr

P4070430-Edit
by TDG-77, on Flickr

PC014313
by TDG-77, on Flickr

some cracking shots on there toby .does prove a point ....coming from using both Nikon and canon over the years both crop and full frame with a variety of lenses I honestly cant see a earth shattering difference in i.q .. a lot depends on the skills of the photographer plus there processing ability ... in fact the only cameras to impress me at this moment in time are the latest Sony ones i.e the A92 and the A7r.mk4 plus lenses .. far out of my price range and still to heavy for my health ability as well

The a9mkII ( a7riv down sized to 24mp) and em-1x all offer great IQ and it's hard to tell any difference between them when shot at the same iso with all other settings the same even up to 3200 iso .

Its only if you really start looking close your able to say this one looks a little cleaner the a9 does but it could be the fact it's got the best AF and the stacked sensor and has the newest tec, on every day shots it's not easy to pick it out.

For birding I find the a92 files just a little bit nicer just something about them.

The a92 AF is the winner just behind it is the a7r4 and very close to that is the em_1x but it's only a few dropped frames behind the a7r4
Of cause detail goes to the a7r4 but if your not cropping much the other 2 come close enough for it to not make much difference
The em-1x wins for weight and IS is way ahead of the Sonys .
So all 3 have there great points if i had to just keep 1 it would be the a9mkII .

Lens for my test 300f4pro and 200/600 f 6.3 on the Sony,s

side note when birding as the light is going the EM-1X gives me an extra 40mins shooting 1 and 1/3rd stop over the 200/600 f6.3 .

Just my take on the systems .
Rob.

some cracking shots on there toby .does prove a point ....coming from using both Nikon and canon over the years both crop and full frame with a variety of lenses I honestly cant see a earth shattering difference in i.q .. a lot depends on the skills of the photographer plus there processing ability ... in fact the only cameras to impress me at this moment in time are the latest Sony ones i.e the A92 and the A7r.mk4 plus lenses .. far out of my price range and still to heavy for my health ability as well
Thanks very much. I've got 75cm prints in my office, 2 taken with my D750 and 1 taken with my EM10 and you can't tell which is which in terms of IQ.

Superb set Alf ,yours and robs posts do point to why more and more photographers are turning to Olympus and Sony mirrorless .. for us older and more infirm togs ,the Olympus obviously wins hands down just on equipment weight

Alf, great set of photos. I especially like the Parton Rocks Sunset - really good lead in and great light on the rocks.

Alf, great set of photos. I especially like the Parton Rocks Sunset - really good lead in and great light on the rocks.
The Patron rocks sunsetvis from the Sunday before last

Chris, good sharp detailed shot.

If you don't mind, one thing though. With animals, you are better off not cropping in so severely and always leave a little room to the side where the animal is looking. Looks more natural e.g. as the below (just a random image from my Flickr account):

Back