Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I have an E-M1 ii on test and wow at the moment. The main reason being that I wanted to see how well it tracks the kids and dog running around on version 3+ of the firmware. If it works well, I'm going to take the plunge on either the E-M1ii or E-M5iii. However, I have a problem! I just checked and the camera is on firmware 2. And it seems that these days, you need to update via USB-C cable which I don't have. Can I not do it via a memory card? I'm going to be very frustrated if I cannot test the one thing that interested me most.

Oh, in other news I had a play with the E-M5iii and the use of plastic seems an non issue. It felt great to me.

Thanks Jeff, I’ve followed your exploits both here and on Flickr and have seen what can be achieved with the higher end Oly systems and have to say you have achieved a lot of great shots.
My head and heart are both heading the Oly way, it’s just a lot of investment if I get it wrong for me, not the system which s proven to be superb.
The only thing I can add is whichever system you decide on stick with the native lenses Olympus and Panasonic both cross operate BUT you lose some functions in doing so . So oly/oly pano/pano is the way to go .. I now have mk1 and mk2 bodies and the older one still works lovely . I know you follow my Flickr so you will also note that most of my b.I.f shots are usually grab shots and taken with single point a.f plus I have no problem tracking them in flight . You only live once go for it

I have an E-M1 ii on test and wow at the moment. The main reason being that I wanted to see how well it tracks the kids and dog running around on version 3+ of the firmware. If it works well, I'm going to take the plunge on either the E-M1ii or E-M5iii. However, I have a problem! I just checked and the camera is on firmware 2. And it seems that these days, you need to update via USB-C cable which I don't have. Can I not do it via a memory card? I'm going to be very frustrated if I cannot test the one thing that interested me most.

Oh, in other news I had a play with the E-M5iii and the use of plastic seems an non issue. It felt great to me.
Rest assured graham the mkii a/f is streets ahead of anything I have used before on canon or Nikon

Am I being defeatist?
In a little under 4 months time, I’ll be looking to buy my forever camera & lenses set up and have for some time had my heart set on the EM1X with a selection of Pro lenses but...I have always struggled with Olympus menus and their complexities so am not sure if I’m going to get grips with it Going forward.
I have in the past had high end Canon cameras with L series lenses and more recently tried both Olympus and Panasonic M43 cameras, namely the OM10 mkii and GX80 respectively.
I find the Panasonic menus easier to navigate but fell my only option in their range would be the G9 which I believe is a good camera but not as good as the EM1X.
I really don’t want to make the wrong decision as I don’t want to swap around anymore as I’ve done far too much of that in the past so I guess what I’m asking is, is it me being negative and not allowing myself enough time and effort to understand fully how the Oly menus work and where to find and understand their settings, and is familiarity with the other makers menus that is holding me back? This maybe an unanswerable question but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I should add that my main interest lies within Bird / Wildlife photography with some landscape thrown in.
What exactly do you struggle with? Is it just familiarity, if so it could just be time.

I've personally never understood the issue with Olympus menus, I find them just as easy to navigate as others tbh. Each new system takes new learning, but once learnt they're fine. Plus, when the Olympus are set up you rarely use them as everything is available through function buttons and the SCP.

Rest assured graham the mkii a/f is streets ahead of anything I have used before on canon or Nikon

Well, you're not wrong!

I found a work around so it's now on 3.1. Tweaked a few things to suit how I shoot and I've just done some testing indoors. Rather unscientific, but using AF-C +TR, I focused on a can of beer from the far side of the room (quite dim). Walked quickly towards it while rifling off shots in Cont L. It has nailed every single one! Really impressed by that. I'll try it out for real in daylight tomorrow but it looks very promising. I'd be surprised if I don't go ahead and ditch the DSLR. Biggest dilemma is likely to be E-M1ii vs E-M5iii vs wait for E-M1 iii.

Switch off the tracking and just use CAF it’s even better ,try it in different focus points as well still works the same . The only trouble is I’m now six months in and still finding new stuff it can do

What exactly do you struggle with? Is it just familiarity, if so it could just be time.

I've personally never understood the issue with Olympus menus, I find them just as easy to navigate as others tbh. Each new system takes new learning, but once learnt they're fine. Plus, when the Olympus are set up you rarely use them as everything is available through function buttons and the SCP.
I think it probably is familiarity to be honest, Panasonic is very similar to the Canon menus I am very familiar with whereas the Olympus is very different, for me at least.
I managed to some degree with the E-M10 mkii but the EM1X is a lot more in depth so I guess it’s just that, but I’m determined to get it so I’ll just have to try harder to come to terms with where everything is.
I think I just needed to be told to wake up and get used to it!

Switch off the tracking and just use CAF it’s even better ,try it in different focus points as well still works the same . The only trouble is I’m now six months in and still finding new stuff it can do

Thank you. I shall do. I must admit, I only skimmed the surface of the AF settings. My E-M5 ii is fairly complex in terms of customisability but this is a major level up! I only have it for the weekend so don't want to overcomplicate things too much.

The other problem I've given myself is that I borrowed a 12-100 as well. I have used one of these very briefly before but I was selling on behalf of someone else at the time so I didn't really put it through its paces. I was convinced that I'd stick with my super light 14-150 for travel but blimey, the 12-100 is a good lens isn't it!? Very sharp and the dual IS is pure witchcraft. It is big, chunky and expensive though. Quite a dilemma as it could replace the 12-40 and 14-150 and be the only lens I really need to carry for most landscape trips but I'm concerned that it's just too heavy for mountaineering which is where the 14-150 really excels. Much to ponder!!

I think it probably is familiarity to be honest, Panasonic is very similar to the Canon menus I am very familiar with whereas the Olympus is very different, for me at least.
I managed to some degree with the E-M10 mkii but the EM1X is a lot more in depth so I guess it’s just that, but I’m determined to get it so I’ll just have to try harder to come to terms with where everything is.
I think I just needed to be told to wake up and get used to it!
When I get a new camera I just tend to go through every menu setting and see what each thing does, most (including Olympus) have a ‘help’ button/option that tells you what the majority of the menu items do in case it’s not obvious.

I see the price of the E M1 Mark iii is £1599 body only.

https://www.43rumors.com/category/rumor/

It's at the level I was expecting - will be interesting to see how quickly it drops to £1250-£1300?
Might there be some cheap mark ii's available?
Of course we've not seen the 'proper' spec for the mark iii's yet to assess whether it's worth upgrading anyway.

I see the price of the E M1 Mark iii is £1599 body only.

https://www.43rumors.com/category/rumor/

I noticed that mentioned on DPReview forum.

So, not too long to wait for its official release with comprehensive(?) specifications......and price! If the price rumour is correct that is good news as not that much more that 'list' price of the MK2.

So as in the movie "patience grasshopper...." :)

If correct that’s sensible pricing ,and hopefully is a pointer to the mega 150-400 lens being along the same lines

If correct that’s sensible pricing ,and hopefully is a pointer to the mega 150-400 lens being along the same lines

I shouldn't build up your hopes on the price of that lens! :eek:

Last edited:
I shouldn't build up your hopes on the price of that lens! :eek:

Re: 150-400mm lens
Bearing in mind the price of the 300mm I would not be surprised to see it at a minimum of £4000 and possibly significantly north of that figure! Though the speculation of being into 5 figures would IMO price it out of the market.

PS I cannot recall the previously surmised launch date but suspect there will be E-M1X & 150-400mm combos seen at & "publicised" usage at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics ;)

Re: 150-400mm lens
Bearing in mind the price of the 300mm I would not be surprised to see it at a minimum of £4000 and possibly significantly north of that figure! Though the speculation of being into 5 figures would IMO price it out of the market.

PS I cannot recall the previously surmised launch date but suspect there will be E-M1X & 150-400mm combos seen at & "publicised" usage at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics ;)
I’d be disappointed if it’s more than £4K.

It's time they gave a EM-1 X another firmware update it is a great camera with great AF but i'm sure they could improve it a little more

Based on what Sony can do all make need to get better AF tracking.

Rob.

It's time they gave a EM-1 X another firmware update it is a great camera with great AF but i'm sure they could improve it a little more

Based on what Sony can do all make need to get better AF tracking.

Rob.

When the E-M1X came out the the MK2 got it's very much improved v3 firmware update.

Therefore, here's hoping that both of them get a 2020 firmware 'refresh' :D

FWIW

Not sure if this has been spotted or remarked upon but:-

The program dial on the new MK3 (if a full and final ready for release product?) has the same 'settings' as the E-M1X

The missing/replaced ones from the MK2 to Mk3:-
ART
iAuto

These are replaced by C4 custom position
And B (Bulb?)

Perhaps another indicator that the MK3 is a sort of "mini-me" M1X..................but when the official final specs are released I do hope they have some more of the key M1X ones onboard???

When I get a new camera I just tend to go through every menu setting and see what each thing does, most (including Olympus) have a ‘help’ button/option that tells you what the majority of the menu items do in case it’s not obvious.

Yes if you hit the info button, it will tell you more about each setting in the menu. You may know this already @gad-westy?

Last edited:
Your probably better off seeking out genuine Olympus ones to ensure a good fit .i use the mmf.3 which is fully sealed , how it all works also depends on which lenses you use .i do have a list of compatible lenses found on the web , and some still go for very good prices indeed . At the moment I have the 50-200mm f2.8 SWD and the 12-60mm f2.8 SWD plus a EC.14 tc all work well
I've managed to get hold of a MMF-2 adapter so I can try out the old four thirds lenses I have but there was a little bonus. It comes with a 12-60mm SWD attached at one end and a gripped E-M1 attached at the other. [emoji5][emoji106]

Yes if you hit the info button, it will tell you more about each setting in the menu. You may know this already @gad-westy?

Cheers. I knew but actually sometimes just finding items on the menu is a mission. Took me ages to work out how to turn image review off. These are just new camera issues though. They rarely come into play once you’re up and running.

Cheers. I knew but actually sometimes just finding items on the menu is a mission. Took me ages to work out how to turn image review off. These are just new camera issues though. They rarely come into play once you’re up and running.
Yes, it's just the odd thing that isn't named as helpfully as it could, or is in an odd place.

I recently changed a setting having watched a YouTube video. For the life of me I haven't ben able to find it again! I'm going to have to watch the video again :LOL:

The first time I got the camera I couldn't turn off those blasted helpful tips appearing on the menus either! :rolleyes: It's ingrained now.

Edit - I've just found it - on C2 - image stabilisation priority. It is now set to IS priority over FPS priority. Not something I've played with before and I'm not certain it makes a huge difference. There are so many customisations available on these cameras. (This is the EM1ii)

Last edited:
pair of ducks from yesterday ,quiet a large crop to . it looks like the M/A adjustments to the PL100-400 have worked o.k
two bright eyes by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

The program dial on the new MK3 (if a full and final ready for release product?) has the same 'settings' as the E-M1X

Perhaps another indicator that the MK3 is a sort of "mini-me" M1X..................but when the official final specs are released I do hope they have some more of the key M1X ones onboard???

.... I think it's a very good strategy of Olympus to offer the E-M1 as a smaller version of the E-M1X and as similar in spec as possible - Not everyone wants the bigger gripped M1X version. However, personally I would not have switched from Canon to Olympus unless there was the bigger M1X as I find it better balanced when bigger lenses are mounted and also I shoot in portrait orientation quite often.

Another beaut Robin, you've really taken to the Olympus system

.... Thanks Steve! And everyone else who has posted such encouraging comments and likes! I appreciate it.

Yep, the Olympus system I am shooting with increasingly feels absolutely right for me personally and I knew it probably would the moment I first handled the M1X body.

I am very lucky to have been able to visit and photograph Pelicans on Lake Kerkini in Greece as it offered me such a great opportunity to do my best. I am also feeling lucky to be able to visit another part of Greece in April and will be primarily photographing landscapes and macro minibeasts - So another opportunity to explore more of what the M1X has to offer - High-Res, onboard ND, and Focus Stacking are options I haven't tried yet.

THE PEACE OF GREECE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
A long shot, and a purely hypothetical question, but has anyone moved to Olympus from the Nikon Z system? Specifically the E-M5 mk2 or 3, and for weight reasons (Camera :D ). And moreover, for landscapes rather than ornithological genres.

A long shot, and a purely hypothetical question, but has anyone moved to Olympus from the Nikon Z system? Specifically the E-M5 mk2 or 3, and for weight reasons (Camera :D ). And moreover, for landscapes rather than ornithological genres.

.... @snerkler shoots with the Nikon Z7 but as part of his overall arsenal rather than having switched but he will doubtless offer you some helpful information.

In switching from the Canon EOS system I also switched from the EOS-R (similar to the Nikon Z7 I think) - No regrets even though I loved my Canons.

If it helps at all... and it probably wont as I don't have an Oly or a Nikon :D

I have been with MFT almost since day 1 and currently have Panasonic GX80 (16mp) and GX9 (20mp) and a FF Sony A7. My Panasonic cameras can't match the FF A7 for dynamic range and that can matter but if DR isn't an issue I often don't see much of a difference if I can avoid pixel peeping as when I do that the FF files do look more lovely. I'd be surprised if the same isn't more or less true for the Oly MFT and Nikon FF.

Size and weight are another question and as I seem to prefer the 35 to 50mm sort of length to be honest there's really not a lot in it between even a RF style MFT camera and a mini SLR style FF mirrorless camera like the A7. With some of the massive fast primes or even something longer than 35/50mm like an 85mm f1.8 there'll be a significant difference and also with some of the larger tele or wide angle lenses. Even with a compact lens I don't find MFT pocketable and if I'm putting it in a bag the chances are that taking the A7 instead wont make any significant difference to the bulk and weight but of course adding more lenses to the bag or using different ones could.

Sorry if none of that is relevant to deciding between an Oly and a Nikon but I do think you have to think maybe more about what kit you'll be carrying and how much of it and if you're the sort who wants to pixel peep and see lovely files or not.

If it helps at all... and it probably wont as I don't have an Oly or a Nikon :D

I have been with MFT almost since day 1 and currently have Panasonic GX80 (16mp) and GX9 (20mp) and a FF Sony A7. My Panasonic cameras can't match the FF A7 for dynamic range and that can matter but if DR isn't an issue I often don't see much of a difference if I can avoid pixel peeping as when I do that the FF files do look more lovely. I'd be surprised if the same isn't more or less true for the Oly MFT and Nikon FF.

Size and weight are another question and as I seem to prefer the 35 to 50mm sort of length to be honest there's really not a lot in it between even a RF style MFT camera and a mini SLR style FF mirrorless camera like the A7. With some of the massive fast primes or even something longer than 35/50mm like an 85mm f1.8 there'll be a significant difference and also with some of the larger tele or wide angle lenses. Even with a compact lens I don't find MFT pocketable and if I'm putting it in a bag the chances are that taking the A7 instead wont make any significant difference to the bulk and weight but of course adding more lenses to the bag or using different ones could.

Sorry if none of that is relevant to deciding between an Oly and a Nikon but I do think you have to think maybe more about what kit you'll be carrying and how much of it and if you're the sort who wants to pixel peep and see lovely files or not.
Thanks for these useful comments. As I said, it’s a hypothetical question ;). I was Olympus right from the E510/E1, but gradually felt that image quality, even from the E-M1, was not keeping up with the competition. So I then went Fuji for a number of years, before deciding that weight was gradually increasing, almost to smaller FF systems. Plus the IS with (only) the X-H1 left me cool. So I went Z6 ... . But meanwhile Lightroom, my processor of choice and no-one will dissuade me otherwise, had made great strides and revisiting early files did show a marked improvement. However, DR is quite important to me. I very much doubt I will swap systems again, but it’s nice to look over the fence now and again to see what the grazing is like.

I went the other way Stephen (for my own reasons), and shot a lot of landscapes with m4/3 for a lot of years. Most were taken using Panasonic cameras, but latterly I shot with an EM1 mk II. Have a look on my Flickr - theres separate albums for the various cameras I've used. Fire away with any specific questions you might have

Cheers,

Simon.

I went the other way Stephen (for my own reasons), and shot a lot of landscapes with m4/3 for a lot of years. Most were taken using Panasonic cameras, but latterly I shot with an EM1 mk II. Have a look on my Flickr - theres separate albums for the various cameras I've used. Fire away with any specific questions you might have

Cheers,

Simon.
Thanks Simon. I shall do just that tomorrow when I’m back at the hospital. In fact, it’s too much time on my hands that bring evil thoughts like this to my head! (The last week of treatment starts on Monday :banana:)

As above I run both systems. For landscapes there’s not a lot in it, although you can push the Nikon files more due to the extra DR. My main reason for keeping FF is the rendering when using wide aperture lenses, if it wasn’t for this I’d have ditched it all in favour of Olly by now.
@snerkler shoots with everything! :exit:
Lol, just Nikon and Olly although have shot with most manufacturers at some point ;)

Back