Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

As others have said, that's pretty impressive!

< wanders off to download trial and see how it integrates with Capture One

.... Following trialling Topaz DeNoise AI I bought a license and had been using it as a Photoshop CS6 plug-in (via Capture One 2020) very successfully but the latest DeNoise version doesn't load in CS6 and so I now use it from within Capture One (C1) by tick-box selecting it in C1's Preferences Plug-ins list so it then becomes an option for using to edit an ORF file.

It creates a TIFF in C1 from the RAW ORF file (which I delete later after further edits).

I did not like Topaz Sharpen AI at all and know several others who feel the same. But it might work for you.

HTH

Last edited:
For give for my sins but the lure of Panamozs price £1490 was to much for me resist have used HDEW before and always had great service as I have had from Panamozs even had a warranty claim with them once sorted within 10 days
.... My first port of call for buying cameras and/or lenses is HDEW (and WEX my second port of call). HDEW tell me that they will not be putting up their prices post Brexit etc etc.

Worth checking out HDEW - I can strongly recommend them from years of direct experience.

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/mzuiko-184-c.asp

HTH

For give for my sins but the lure of Panamozs price £1490 was to much for me resist have used HDEW before and always had great service as I have had from Panamozs even had a warranty claim with them once sorted within 10 days
What you bought now terry ?

My answer would be no its not worth sacrificing the extra stop of light especially when you have the Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 as an alternative
Very good point, keep forgetting about that lens. The new Olly f4 isn't much different to that is it, I'd take the Panny all day long.
Decided to try the free 30 day trials of Topaz Labs Noise AI and Sharpen AI. I selected a pretty noisy image of a Robin shot in poor light on the EM1-X at ISO 2500. I have to say to being very impressed. Initial processing done in Lightroom as usual to my usual tastes, but then all sharpening and noise reduction in LR set to zero before using both the Denoise AI and Sharpen AI as plug ins.

Here's the full original image from Lightroom with no sharpening or NR applied, and for me, this is almost a throw away image.

Here's a 100% crop of the above

After running though Denoise AI and Sharpen AI, here are the finished images (additional branches removed in Photoshop).

and finally, here's a 100% crop of the above.

Pretty impressive stuff, maybe we don't need full frame after all for this wildlife stuff ? :D:D
Wow impressive, and a lovely final image. Just show what can be done with the right 'tools'
With regards to the new details emerging of the EM1 MK III, I must admit to being a bit underwhelmed myself if these are indeed the official true leaked specs of the MK III. As it stands, can’t really see anything that would make me want to upgrade from my current EM1X, EM1 MK II combo (or indeed my Panasonic G9).

I’m hoping this isn’t a complete list, because for a replacement for a 4-year-old body, in 2020 I would at least expect it to have at least:

• Higher resolution viewfinder (OLED)
• Higher resolution rear screen (like the Nikon 2mp ones)
• More AI tracking modes (than just the Planes, Trains and Motorbikes of the EM1-X)
• USB-C Charging
• 10 bit video (preferably internal)
• 4k 60p internal with more bitrate options
• Twin UHS-II card slots
• My menu items
• Animal AF (like the Panasonic G9)
• GPS

Let’s hope there’s more to come ?
Any links to the specs?

Last edited:
Hi Jeff

I succumbed to the 300mm pro[emoji849][emoji849] my bloody prostate cancer is back for the third time so I thought can't take anything with me so enjoy what time I have left on this planet (confidence levels are high I will be around for while yet) I still work and enjoy it working with people who I have a real laugh with. As my good lady reminds me JFDI (Just Fxxx do it)
What you bought now terry ?

Last edited:
I succumbed to the 300mm pro[emoji849][emoji849] my bloody prostate cancer is back for the third time so I thought can't take anything with me so enjoy what time I have left on this planet (confidence levels are high I will be around for while yet) I still work and enjoy it working with people who I have a real laugh with. As my good lady reminds me JFDI (Just Fxxx do it)

.... I am really sorry to hear this but you have the right attitude in my opinion and have a lady who wholeheartedly supports you. All of us have to live each day as it comes and enjoy everything we can about each day. Personally I think this is the key to Happiness. [I am 72yo but have lost a child and so know the value of life].

I have only ever used Olympus Pro lenses and so cannot offer a meaningful comparison with other m4/3 glass. However, I cannot think of any better 300mm (600mm) lens - Anything equal will weigh several times as much and also be much larger (and more expensive!).

Btw, if you don't need the clever sliding Manual Focus clutch you can disable it in the Menu. The LFn button on the lens can be useful.

P.S. - You can still register your lens with Olympus regardless of where you bought it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hi Jeff

Really sorry to hear this, I hope you make a good recovery.

Hi Jeff

Best of luck for a good outcome. I agree with your good lady, life is short so you have to make the most of it and enjoy it.

I have that lens and I love having such a long lens that is so compact. Enjoy it [emoji846]

Hi Jeff

Sorry to hear that m8 ... that’s my attitude to after last years heart failure .. still not right ... good days bad days .. medication side effects etc .. keep on fighting and enjoy what’s left to you while you can

Sorry to hear that m8 ... that’s my attitude to after last years heart failure .. still not right ... good days bad days .. medication side effects etc .. keep on fighting and enjoy what’s left to you while you can

Totally agree with you Jeff life is what you make it and for one I really enjoy everyday as a bonus My first check in the morning is there breath come out of me! anyway enough of this doom and gloom lets get this thread back on track with all things Olympus:olympus:

I had no problems tracking birds in flight although of course Pelicans are pretty big! In fact the Dalmatian Pelican is the biggest freshwater bird in the world.

Having two E-M1X bodies with me, each with a different Pro lens mounted, gave me the flexibility not to miss a variety of shots. No worries about getting my cameras splashed or muddy etc in a small open boat either.

Do I love Olympus? You bet I do!!! :olympus: [Best viewed on Flickr]

DALMATIAN PELICAN IN FLIGHT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
That’s a belter, Robin.

That’s a belter, Robin.

.... Thanks! Encouragement is always appreciated.

Btw, was my Reply #18,441 about Topaz DeNoise in Capture One any help to you?

I had no problems tracking birds in flight although of course Pelicans are pretty big! In fact the Dalmatian Pelican is the biggest freshwater bird in the world.

Having two E-M1X bodies with me, each with a different Pro lens mounted, gave me the flexibility not to miss a variety of shots. No worries about getting my cameras splashed or muddy etc in a small open boat either.

Another beaut Robin, you've really taken to the Olympus system

super shot robin about time you posted some b.i.f shots

This really is stunning Robin, absolutely brilliant shot!

Am I being defeatist?
In a little under 4 months time, I’ll be looking to buy my forever camera & lenses set up and have for some time had my heart set on the EM1X with a selection of Pro lenses but...I have always struggled with Olympus menus and their complexities so am not sure if I’m going to get grips with it Going forward.
I have in the past had high end Canon cameras with L series lenses and more recently tried both Olympus and Panasonic M43 cameras, namely the OM10 mkii and GX80 respectively.
I find the Panasonic menus easier to navigate but fell my only option in their range would be the G9 which I believe is a good camera but not as good as the EM1X.
I really don’t want to make the wrong decision as I don’t want to swap around anymore as I’ve done far too much of that in the past so I guess what I’m asking is, is it me being negative and not allowing myself enough time and effort to understand fully how the Oly menus work and where to find and understand their settings, and is familiarity with the other makers menus that is holding me back? This maybe an unanswerable question but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
I should add that my main interest lies within Bird / Wildlife photography with some landscape thrown in.

Last edited:
I have both the Olympus EM1X and the Panasonic G9 so can give you my thoughts.

The EM1X is built like a tank. Mines taken a tumble from my camera bag directly onto a concrete path from about 5 feet and just bounced (although I wouldn't recommend you try this at home kids). The G9 is also well built but not to quite the same nuclear attack levels of the EM1X. Obviously the biggest difference is that you can detach the optional battery grip from the G9 that you can't do with the EM1X, but the latter has surely got to be one of the most comfortable cameras I've ever held, and doesn't seem to weigh as much or is as big as the images would suggest. image stabilization is superb on both and I don't really notice much difference. One note though is if you plan on using Olympus Pro Lenses (e.g. 300mm F4 Pro) on the G9, then you don't' get the benefit of dual sync IS (just like you don't if you use IS Panasonic lenses on the Olympus), but in reality, I've not actually seen a massive difference either way, and they both still work great.

AF wise, I'd probably give the nod to the Olympus, as the DFD system used in the Panasonic whilst good, has an annoying shimmering effect as the AF system shimmy's for focus. It works, bt just doesn't look very pretty. Bear in mind though that the Olympus has the AI tracking modes (which really work quite well, and the aircraft setting actually manages to pick up birds), but the Panasonic recently added proper Animal AF modes and it does work really well.

I wouldn't worry about the menus on both, especially the Olympus as though whilst they might be a bit daunting at first, they are actually quite logical if not as simple as the Panny ones. Both cameras offer a "my menu" area anyway where you can store frequently used items.

Image quality is pretty much a wash between them both so that wouldn't' really be a decision factor, but the Olympus of course has the added benefits of twin High Res modes (both 80mp Tripod mode and 50mp Hand held modes), whereas the G9 only has (a very good) tripod mode with a similar 80 mp image. The EM1X also adds Live time, Live bulb, Pre-Capture (better implemented that the G9 version), tilt shift function, in camera focus stacking (which again works brilliantly).

Video wise, as good as the files off the EM1X are (max of 4K 30p or C4K 30P), the G9 (with the latest firmware) blows the Olympus out of the water with 4K 60, and the recently added 10 bit 4:2:2 modes and much more in the way of bitrates, file types, and slow motion modes. You can also pay Panasonic for an unlock serial code to unlock VLOG picture profiles and Wave form monitoring (which I haven't yet done). Also the EVF of the G9 is huge and much more detailed and contrasty than the one in the EM1X.

To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with either, but bear in mind that as of today, a new G9 is only £839 (source - camera price buster) and the EM1X is over double the price at over £2k, so that could well be a deciding factor. To be honest I use both and they are a good pair for each other, but if i had to choose one....hmm difficult.....it would have to be the G9...no the EM1X......oh buggar.....

Last edited:
Am I being defeatist?

Yes :)

I wouldn't let problems with the menus stop me buying the camera system I wanted. I have struggled with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji menu's pretty equally, and the issue with all of them was that I wasn't using the camera enough.

It's interesting how often in interviews with famous photographers, they say they take photographs "every" day just to maintain their eye and camera skills, even if it's only in their kitchen. And these are from the film days, with digital we can do this with no film costs.

The EM1X is built like a tank. Mines taken a tumble from my camera bag directly onto a concrete path from about 5 feet and just bounced (although I wouldn't recommend you try this at home kids). The G9 is also well built but not to quite the same nuclear attack levels of the EM1X. Obviously the biggest difference is that you can detach the optional battery grip from the G9 that you can't do with the EM1X, but the latter has surely got to be one of the most comfortable cameras I've ever held, and doesn't seem to weigh as much or is as big as the images would suggest. image stabilization is superb on both and I don't really notice much difference. One note though is if you plan on using Olympus Pro Lenses (e.g. 300mm F4 Pro) on the G9, then you don't' get the benefit of dual sync IS (just like you don't if you use IS Panasonic lenses on the Olympus), but in reality, I've not actually seen a massive difference either way, and they both still work great.

AF wise, I'd probably give the nod to the Olympus, as the DFD system used in the Panasonic whilst good, has an annoying shimmering effect as the AF system shimmy's for focus. It works, bt just doesn't look very pretty. Bear in mind though that the Olympus has the AI tracking modes (which really work quite well, and the aircraft setting actually manages to pick up birds), but the Panasonic recently added proper Animal AF modes and it does work really well.

I wouldn't worry about the menus on both, especially the Olympus as though whilst they might be a bit daunting at first, they are actually quite logical if not as simple as the Panny ones. Both cameras offer a "my menu" area anyway where you can store frequently used items.

Image quality is pretty much a wash between them both so that wouldn't' really be a decision factor, but the Olympus of course has the added benefits of twin High Res modes (both 80mp Tripod mode and 50mp Hand held modes), whereas the G9 only has (a very good) tripod mode with a similar 80 mp image. The EM1X also adds Live, time, Live bulb, Pre-Capture (better implemented that the G9 version), tilt shift function, in camera focus stacking (which again works brilliantly).

Video wise, as good as the files off the EM1X are (max of 4K 30p or C4K 30P), the G9 (with the latest firmware) blows the Olympus out of the water with 4K 60, and the recently added 10 bit 4:2:2 modes and much more in the way of bitrates, file types, and slow motion modes. Also the EVF of the G9 is huge and much more detailed and contrasty than the one in the EM1X.

To be honest I don't think you can go wrong with either, but bear in mind that as of today, a new G9 is only £839 (source - camera price buster) and the EM1X is over double the price at over £2k, so that could well be a deciding factor. To be honest I use both and they are a good pair for each other, but if i had to choose one....hmm difficult.....it would have to be the G9...no the EM1X......oh buggar.....
Thank you very much for a very detailed and unbiased opinion which is exactly what I am looking for.
I handled and I might add, really liked the EM1X at Birdfair last August and really had my heart set on it but having used the lesser Panasonic GX80 for a while now, I started to get comfortable and think that maybe the G9 would be a better option and given the price difference between the 2 bodies, as you state around half the price, I would be able to comfortably add the Panny 100-400lens as well as the Olympus 300 Pro which would give a lot more flexibility out in the field.
Still lots to consider but I really appreciate your superb contribution to my mind maze question!

Yes :)

I wouldn't let problems with the menus stop me buying the camera system I wanted. I have struggled with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji menu's pretty equally, and the issue with all of them was that I wasn't using the camera enough.

It's interesting how often in interviews with famous photographers, they say they take photographs "every" day just to maintain their eye and camera skills, even if it's only in their kitchen. And these are from the film days, with digital we can do this with no film costs.
I know, I should just go with my heart as I was really very impressed with the EM1X and spent some time with the guys from Olympus and David Tipling (pro wildlife photographer who switched fully to Olympus and loves it) and felt very happy looking forward.
I just don’t want to make an expensive mistake and regret it.

Chris, from my perspective I don't really drink, don't smoke and have no kids. Am in a well paid job and my other half has no issues with my buying equipment (which is why I have so much - I really enjoy having the choice). But if I'm being totally honest, if I put my sensible hat on for a moment it would have to be the G9 just due to it having all the features I need from a body, and at half the price of the EM1X. But we all know that emotion always plays a part in our buying decisions, and so whilst the EM1X doesn't really make sense from a monetary position, it's such a good camera and I've got some great shots on it already, that I don't regret getting it for one moment - but that's because I could afford it without using any form of credit.

RedRobin on here has now two EM1X's and now he has his eye in on them (he came from Canon FF), and the images he's started to post are pretty much indistinguishable from FF. Also, there are a couple of unfortunate members on here struggling with serious illnesses (cancer) and they have a fantastic attitude in that "you only live once" so enjoy it to the full. If you think on buying the G9 you would be looking over your shoulder at the EM1X, then just get it now and hang the cost :D

Chris, from my perspective I don't really drink, don't smoke and have no kids. Am in a well paid job and my other half has no issues with my buying equipment (which is why I have so much - I really enjoy having the choice). But if I'm being totally honest, if I put my sensible hat on for a moment it would have to be the G9 just due to it having all the features I need from a body, and at half the price of the EM1X. But we all know that emotion always plays a part in our buying decisions, and so whilst the EM1X doesn't really make sense from a monetary position, it's such a good camera and I've got some great shots on it already, that I don't regret getting it for one moment - but that's because I could afford it without using any form of credit.

RedRobin on here has now two EM1X's and now he has his eye in on them (he came from Canon FF), and the images he's started to post are pretty much indistinguishable from FF. Also, there are a couple of unfortunate members on here struggling with serious illnesses (cancer) and they have a fantastic attitude in that "you only live once" so enjoy it to the full. If you think on buying the G9 you would be looking over your shoulder at the EM1X, then just get it now and hang the cost :D

I don't go buying that much gear, but I do agree with your sentiments Andrew
A few years ago my old ma went out shopping, got hit by a car crossing the road and subsequently died
Changed my outlook on life a bit, you never know how quick things can change
If you can afford it and nobody else is suffering because of your spending, buy it now and enjoy whatever it is

With me its going to places my wife and I have often said we would like to see, mainly in Europe, so we have
Don't want to be one of those people who says wish I had gone there or done that when i'm too old and knackered

So Chris, yes if you think the EM1X is for you and its within agreed financial bounds, go for it and don't have any regrets.

I changed late last year Chris , I already had a g80 and 100-400 as a back up but after suffering a massive heart attack in June I found I could no longer manage full frame or crop DSLR bodies and large lenses , and when Olympus brought out firmware updates v3.01 for the mkii bodies it was worth looking into . Olympus aftercare came into as well and I managed to get 5 years 6 months full warranty by buying from LCE ..
My only regret at the moment is I can’t afford a 300mm f4 which is I feel a better lens than the Panasonic ,but it may come in the future it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks to see what the new mkiii really specs out at to .. as for menu problems if I can figure them out at 73 I’m sure you can .. do I regret changing not one little bit .. I can track b.i.f handheld and have even managed at times to shoot keepable images single handed I.e sat on a slope supporting myself with my left arm and shooting with my right hand only not bad with 800mm effective length

You’re so right Andrew, live for today and sod tomorrow has been my attitude for some time now (I know it doesn’t sound like it from my initial post) and my decision isn’t money driven, not that I’ve got a bottomless pit but I am retiring this year and have a healthy cash pot to invest in my photography.
I know deep down I really want to let my heart rule and buy the EM1X and stumble my way through the menus until I get it right, lets face it, I’ll have plenty of time to get there...but I just wondered how much of a difference there would be if I did opt for the G9 instead, and from what you’ve said it’s certainly food for thought...I am however very hungry for the X!!
I noticed you have a selection of kit and why not, life’s far too short if you have the available funds and support to go for it.
I’ve also followed RedRobin with a great deal of interest, some of his recent shots taken in a Greece are stunning and I’m very impressed.

I changed late last year Chris , I already had a g80 and 100-400 as a back up but after suffering a massive heart attack in June I found I could no longer manage full frame or crop DSLR bodies and large lenses , and when Olympus brought out firmware updates v3.01 for the mkii bodies it was worth looking into . Olympus aftercare came into as well and I managed to get 5 years 6 months full warranty by buying from LCE ..
My only regret at the moment is I can’t afford a 300mm f4 which is I feel a better lens than the Panasonic ,but it may come in the future it might be worth waiting a couple of weeks to see what the new mkiii really specs out at to .. as for menu problems if I can figure them out at 73 I’m sure you can .. do I regret changing not one little bit .. I can track b.i.f handheld and have even managed at times to shoot keepable images single handed I.e sat on a slope supporting myself with my left arm and shooting with my right hand only not bad with 800mm effective length
Thanks Jeff, I’ve followed your exploits both here and on Flickr and have seen what can be achieved with the higher end Oly systems and have to say you have achieved a lot of great shots.
My head and heart are both heading the Oly way, it’s just a lot of investment if I get it wrong for me, not the system which s proven to be superb.

I don't go buying that much gear, but I do agree with your sentiments Andrew
A few years ago my old ma went out shopping, got hit by a car crossing the road and subsequently died
Changed my outlook on life a bit, you never know how quick things can change
If you can afford it and nobody else is suffering because of your spending, buy it now and enjoy whatever it is

With me its going to places my wife and I have often said we would like to see, mainly in Europe, so we have
Don't want to be one of those people who says wish I had gone there or done that when i'm too old and knackered

So Chris, yes if you think the EM1X is for you and its within agreed financial bounds, go for it and don't have any regrets.
I totally agree, regrets are not something I have or ever want to have. I think the responses here today have settled my mind and my decision will be my original one, EM1X and lenses and I’ll just have to bloody well learn how to use it!

Last edited:
I know, I should just go with my heart...

I know you said you found the Olympus menu difficult, but I've only had an Olympus (EM5 Mk II) for a few months and still primarily use my Nikons, but I'm not finding I need to google things any more often than I have had to with other cameras.

Personally, I think I would have more chance of regretting not buying the camera I felt I really wanted, because of the menu fears. There are lots of ways to customise the Olympus operations to minimise the need to plough throw the menu system.

I know you said you found the Olympus menu difficult, but I've only had an Olympus (EM5 Mk II) for a few months and still primarily use my Nikons, but I'm not finding I need to google things any more often than I have had to with other cameras.

Personally, I think I would have more chance of regretting not buying the camera I felt I really wanted, because of the menu fears. There are lots of ways to customise the Olympus operations to minimise the need to plough throw the menu system.
I think it’s like so many things, familiarity is what I need to get to grips with and stop making excuses.
I do agree that regret would almost certainly manifest itself if I pull the plug on the Oly and that’s not something I want to have.

I think it’s like so many things, familiarity is what I need to get to grips with and stop making excuses.
I do agree that regret would almost certainly manifest itself if I pull the plug on the Oly and that’s not something I want to have.
I think there is also an issue that because so many people seem to talk about how bad the Olympus menus are, we then use that as "the" reason they are difficult rather than it being our fault for not putting the effort in.

I think there is also an issue that because so many people seem to talk about how bad the Olympus menus are, we then use that as "the" reason they are difficult rather than it being our fault for not putting the effort in.
Fair point, there are a lot of ‘half empty glasses’ out there regarding Olympus menus and it’s so easy to fall into that trap.

Image quality is pretty much a wash between them both so that wouldn't' really be a decision factor, but the Olympus of course has the added benefits of twin High Res modes (both 80mp Tripod mode and 50mp Hand held modes), whereas the G9 only has (a very good) tripod mode with a similar 80 mp image. The EM1X also adds Live time, Live bulb, Pre-Capture (better implemented that the G9 version), tilt shift function, in camera focus stacking (which again works brilliantly).

Video wise, as good as the files off the EM1X are (max of 4K 30p or C4K 30P), the G9 (with the latest firmware) blows the Olympus out of the water with 4K 60, and the recently added 10 bit 4:2:2 modes and much more in the way of bitrates, file types, and slow motion modes. You can also pay Panasonic for an unlock serial code to unlock VLOG picture profiles and Wave form monitoring (which I haven't yet done). Also the EVF of the G9 is huge and much more detailed and contrasty than the one in the EM1X.

I also have the E M1ii and G9.
For me the handling/ergonomics/menus of the G9 are far superior. The autofocus of the G9 is greatly improved with the latest firmware update. But I still really enjoy the E M1!!
Personally, from a value for money standpoint I cannot see the point of the E M1X when you can put a grip on the E M1, the added 'improvements' for me don't justify the extra cost.
The Olympus glass is very good, particularly the 40-150mm Pro - coupled with a 300mm Pro and a pair of teleconverters it makes an excellent set up for wildlife and birding.
Also consider the Pan Leica 200mm f2.8 - superior to the Oly 300mm in my opinion (I have both). The Pan Leica 100-400mm is also excellent.
I would sum up by saying you can't go wrong whichever you chose!!

I also have the E M1ii and G9.
For me the handling/ergonomics/menus of the G9 are far superior. The autofocus of the G9 is greatly improved with the latest firmware update. But I still really enjoy the E M1!!
Personally, from a value for money standpoint I cannot see the point of the E M1X when you can put a grip on the E M1, the added 'improvements' for me don't justify the extra cost.
The Olympus glass is very good, particularly the 40-150mm Pro - coupled with a 300mm Pro and a pair of teleconverters it makes an excellent set up for wildlife and birding.
Also consider the Pan Leica 200mm f2.8 - superior to the Oly 300mm in my opinion (I have both). The Pan Leica 100-400mm is also excellent.
I would sum up by saying you can't go wrong whichever you chose!!
Thank you, another interesting and valuable insight.
I have looked at the Panny 200 f2.8, the reviews are very positive and the prices secondhand are very inviting I must admit.
Whatever my final decision is, I would consider all the high end lenses and base my ultimate decision the best selection for all of my needs.

@wardy07, Hi Chris!

Regarding your concern about the 'complexities' of the E-M1X Menu, it is a learning curve like any other modern digital camera which is feature-rich with lots of options to help you fine-tune it to your needs. But because the E-M1X has choices to allocate various functions/options to many of the buttons (not all of course), you can effectively shortcut your way to those you want the most often < Edit: @myotis Graham has just posted the same while I was writing this. Doubtless the E-M1 mkII and mkIII is customisable to a similar extent but I have never used one.

Yes the E-M1X is heavier than the other m4/3 bodies but I find that I shoot it in portrait orientation quite a lot for wildlife and then that grip becomes invaluable. Also, because I never use a camera strap on the body (it gets in the way and can get caught on undergrowth etc etc) I find that the deep grips are perfect for secure balance and especially if a 300mm Pro + M-20 is mounted.

Cameras need to feel like a tactile physical extension of yourself as much as is humanly possible in order to get the best out of your potential and what feels the most comfortable can be a very personal thing. Sony, just as an example, have a truly excellent specification and performance but for me personally I simply don't like the physical feel and so they are not for me - It's that simple.

There is no such thing as a perfect camera or perfect lens and the bottom line is that only you can decide what works best for you.

Whichever camera you decide to buy, shoot with it as often as possible to help it become familiar and fluid.

@wardy07, Hi Chris!

Regarding your concern about the 'complexities' of the E-M1X Menu, it is a learning curve like any other modern digital camera which is feature-rich with lots of options to help you fine-tune it to your needs. But because the E-M1X has choices to allocate various functions/options to many of the buttons (not all of course), you can effectively shortcut your way to those you want the most often < Edit: @myotis Graham has just posted the same while I was writing this. Doubtless the E-M1 mkII and mkIII is customisable to a similar extent but I have never used one.

Yes the E-M1X is heavier than the other m4/3 bodies but I find that I shoot it in portrait orientation quite a lot for wildlife and then that grip becomes invaluable. Also, because I never use a camera strap on the body (it gets in the way and can get caught on undergrowth etc etc) I find that the deep grips are perfect for secure balance and especially if a 300mm Pro + M-20 is mounted.

Cameras need to feel like a tactile physical extension of yourself as much as is humanly possible in order to get the best out of your potential and what feels the most comfortable can be a very personal thing. Sony, just as an example, have a truly excellent specification and performance but for me personally I simply don't like the physical feel and so they are not for me - It's that simple.

There is no such thing as a perfect camera or perfect lens and the bottom line is that only you can decide what works best for you.

Whichever camera you decide to buy, shoot with it as often as possible to help it become familiar and fluid.
Thank you Robin, I follow your posts and respect your opinion and value it very much, and the quality of your photography speaks for itself.
I did like the feel of the EM1X very much when I handled it at Birdfair 2019, it felt very tactile particularly in comparison to the E-M1mkii which I also tested. I’m used to heavy DSLRs in my not too distant past and find a lot of m43 bodies too small and fiddly for my hands. I know grips can be added but I felt as you said, that having the horizontal and vertical grip as an integral feature to be fantastic.
I also agree with you, and others, that the perfect camera doesn’t exist in the real world, but having said that, if I can get close to it then happy days.
Having read and digested the many very helpful scenarios on here today, and revisited several online blogs / reviews from people who I have a great deal of respect for, Olympus is my likely choice moving forward. I will however make my ultimate decision when the funds are available to me.
Roll on May 2020, it’s the best decision I’ve ever had to make and very exciting!

Back