Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Topaz strongly recommend noise reduction is the first thing you do for maximum results with their programme.
I have tried it both ways i.e pre and post application so far applying after normal processing seems to yield the best results ,as long as you hold back on the sharpening and detail sliders . been at it all day i.e practice makes perfect . my first attempts were I feel over sharpened its now settling into a steady workflow and I really am seeing benefits and doing stuff I would normally have binned

Topaz strongly recommend noise reduction is the first thing you do for maximum results with their programme.

.... But you can't really make it literally the very first thing you do when working in RAW (I don't shoot JPEGs) because you have to convert the RAW data file first. I convert in Capture One, do some minor adjustments and then apply Topaz DeNoise to the TIFF it creates. Then I continue working on that TIFF as needed (sharpening for example) which gets Saved back to Capture One for a final Export as JPEG.

a old shot of a k/f topaz treated with sliders held under control . getting there .several ways to do things tried quiet a few today but now getting the results I want
top post -denoise by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... But you can't really make it literally the very first thing you do when working in RAW (I don't shoot JPEGs) because you have to convert the RAW data file first. I convert in Capture One, do some minor adjustments and then apply Topaz DeNoise to the TIFF it creates. Then I continue working on that TIFF as needed (sharpening for example) which gets Saved back to Capture One for a final Export as JPEG.

From Lightroom there is no need to convert, Topaz does it for you . It may be different using Topaz from Capture One.

In Lightroom there are some default sliders which would apply sharpening as @Sootchucker mentioned (thanks for reminding me BTW, I may set up an import preset to stop those).

I know what you mean about feeling comfortable with software @Sootchucker @the black fox I keep trying to move away from Lightroom, but it’s where I’m in my comfort zone.

Last edited:
I had some success with something called Noise Ninja, presumably its still around
Lost all my details for it when my last PC crashed and never got round to buying it again (photos were backed up)

Last edited:
From Lightroom there is no need to convert, Topaz does it for you . It may be different using Topaz from Capture One.

.... A slight misunderstanding, Topaz Saves As (not 'converts') the already RAW converted file from Capture One, Lightroom, ON1 etc.

The original RAW file (which is data) is automatically converted to an editable file at the instant it is imported into RAW editing software such as Capture One, Lightroom, ON1 etc. Topaz is not a RAW converter, it is post-processing software usable either as a plug-in filter or as a standalone filter.

I haven't tried it, and wouldn't want to, use Topaz for original RAW file conversions from data to an editable form. If indeed it is even possible.

Last edited:
Jeff, there's no right or wrong way with PP in my experience, it's whatever you are comfortable with and ultimately the final image.

As a for instance, I have the full version of Capture one as well (it was an offer when I purchased by G9) and as much as I keep reading it's a better program than Lightroom and I know that Robin (aka RedRobin), uses it exclusively and to great effect with his EM1X duo. But try as I might, I'm just stuck with LR as I've used it since the first version. Technically my brain knows the Capture One is better, but it seems I'm so familiar with LR that i'm stuck, but like I say, so long as I like the output from LR, that's good enough for me.

.... I totally agree. The best software is the one you feel more comfortable with, exactly as the best camera for you is the one you feel most comfortable with. None of it is absolutely perfect but such is the nature of photography - It's always a challenge but a satisfying one.

Your experience with Topaz echoes mine. Their sharpening program is amazing too and has saved me binning some shots.

.... As already said, I also think that Topaz DeNoise AI is an amazing program (filter) but I thoroughly tested their sharpening program as a try-before-you-buy and was disappointed in the extreme! Compared with my existing methods and to my great surprise I found it to be gobsmacking ineffective when added to my existing workflow. I don't know why but don't need to learn why. I politely emailed Topaz about it and asked for help but months later I have still had no response whatsoever.

I also checked out their masking software and was not impressed. However their DeNoise AI is exceptionally good in my not so humble opinion.

Last edited:
I just did a sharp well exposed shot using my normal p.p methods , and then re-did another version using topaz de.noise AI and it’s definetly marginally better . Now keeping the sharpness and detail sliders well down to avoid over sharpening halos ,luckily I still have around 500 shots from weds session to compare and play with .
The ideal would be to get every shot right in camera ,but the nature of the beast we use I.e small sensor and a system that uses its own profile logarithms makes anything that gives a small gain worth having . I consider it all part of the learning curve

For those hesitant about buying grey, Amazon have the EM1.2 for just a tad over a grand.

snow bunting .. changed the process of doing topaz now this is done from the RAW file in photoshop instead . it seems to avoid the harshness and over sharpening that was annoying me quite pleased a much cleaner result .
sitting on the rock of the bay by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

I feel duty bound to apologise to everyone for Storm Ciara. I'm pretty sure I caused it by buying a new camera yesterday. I remember buying a 12mm Leica lens a couple of years ago and immediately causing widespread flooding. Oops.

I feel duty bound to apologise to everyone for Storm Ciara. I'm pretty sure I caused it by buying a new camera yesterday. I remember buying a 12mm Leica lens a couple of years ago and immediately causing widespread flooding. Oops.

.... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The same thing always happens to me too! My new Olympus 60mm F/2.8 Macro (120mm equivalent) lens arrived yesterday and today the weather is 80mph gusts of wind and horizontal rain.

But, this lens is seriously weatherproof like my E-M1X and so should I venture into my garden and try some 'creative' arty shots? < VERY 'creative'! In other words, buckets of motion blur!

It's a pity my Olympus STF-8 Twin Flash isn't here until later next week because that's seriously weatherproof too and today's natural light is as dull as dishwater. Like the MC-20 the STF-8 are currently in short supply in the UK.

You know what? - I am seriously tempted and as it's now only 8:30am I'll see what the day offers a bit later after bath and breakfast. Don't worry, I am in my dressing gown and not sat here stark b*llock naked.

A quick non-closeup test snap I did yesterday outdoors promises that this macro lens lives up to its reputation and is as sharp as a Japanese Katana blade! Some of you who have this lens already know this.

Last edited:
Yes the wind always gets up when I lift my macro lens off the shelf :ROFLMAO: I didn't realise the 60mm was weather sealed.

.... It's good to know isn't it. Gives peace of mind when out and about. Olympus actually state it is and also many of the Olympus Visionary reviewers say so too.

So is the STF-8 flash

.... I think its level of weatherproofing may be up to the certified E-M1X international standard known as IPX1. Olympus state the M1X is "beyond IPX1".

Either way this high standard may not seem that important when compared with other professional cameras but I have had a Canon 70D failure and a 7D-2 hiccup and a friend had a 5D-4 needing expensive repair, all just due to heavy rain.

I never want rain to stop play and actually enjoy photos showing it is raining. Most of you have already seen this pic when I was out all day in the rain :

WET WEATHERPROOFING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

And Olympus have several YouTube videos of real-world testing by their Visionaries.

Last edited:
so far I have played with what's the best term iffy files , now starting on shots that I was fairly happy with . first a redshank
pondering by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Re: the robustness of the Olympus weatherproofing?

Are there any details as to the hydrostatic pressure at which it becomes compromised?
The reason I ask/am interested is because AFAIK wind is a factor in increasing the hydrostatic pressure i.e. lack of water penetration with falling rain is no 'guarantee' of the performance when exposed to windblown rain.

one from sept .. at 6400iso think im gonna have to buy this software

.... How many weeks or even months ago did I tell you you should buy the Topaz DeNoise AI software, Jeff?

And didn't Andy (Rouse) also tell you? He's the one who introduced me to it.

Re: the robustness of the Olympus weatherproofing?

Are there any details as to the hydrostatic pressure at which it becomes compromised?
The reason I ask/am interested is because AFAIK wind is a factor in increasing the hydrostatic pressure i.e. lack of water penetration with falling rain is no 'guarantee' of the performance when exposed to windblown rain.

.... That's a good question. Perhaps I should go outside with mine today in the storm but I was planning to stay in and do some more post-processing. The wind and rain today would be a perfect test but honestly I don't feel like it as the light is so poor and all the wildlife is off sheltering. Sorry!

But apart from asking Olympus about hydrostatic pressures I would suggest investigating the IPX1 certificate to see more scientific details? I know that it resists water intrusion - Isn't that sufficient? Obviously you wouldn't aim a high pressure jet water hose at it.

Strong enough wind can stop you taking photos anyway - Image stabilisation does have limitations.

I have posted this before but to help current discussion here it is again - There are jets of water and not just falling drops in this video :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=36&v=5jpgsXzgXVU

Last edited:
.... How many weeks or even months ago did I tell you you should buy the Topaz DeNoise AI software, Jeff?

And didn't Andy (Rouse) also tell you? He's the one who introduced me to it.
you both may well have done robin , but due to having had a previous (lost forgotten password account) from years ago it wouldn't let me play .managed to get it going on Friday hence the flurry of shots

According to this website
https://www.halthass.co.nz/reliabil...esting-category/water-ingress-testing-ipx1-8/

IPX1 Dripping water
Dripping water (vertically falling drops) shall have no harmful effect. Test duration: 10 minutes, equivalent to 1 mm rainfall per minute.

So unsure how that reconciles with the mini shower Olympus show on the video???

.... Referring to the shower jets on the Olympus video, Olympus state "beyond IPX1". Although the video might only last 1 minute I am sure that Olympus ran this test rig for hours if not days or even longer as is normal practice in such tests. For example, I know first-hand when AP were developing a brake for my car and I was at their workshop (not read on the hyperinterwebbynet) that the Bugatti Veyron calipers were tested on a 24/7 rig for months < That's months, not weeks. And they also run test rigs on their carbon clutches etc for various Formula One teams.

Professional manufacturing tests always run to limits beyond what is required.

You sound a little distrustful? Personally I always think positive and anyway I expect warranties and insurance to fix my camera gear if I have a problem. Obviously we should all take some care with our camera gear when out and about but we shouldn't let it hold us back. As already said, I accidentally got one of my M1X bodies wet and very muddy on the floor of an open fishing boat in Greece recently and no problem whatsoever.

Last edited:
Jeff. Or anyone else for that matter? Any chance of sharing an image denoised the regular way in LR vs. Topaz? These look great and very clean but I haven't got around to testing it for myself yet. Need a suitable image and only got my EM5iii yesterday.
yep easy just click on one of my shots to take you to my flickrstream go back a few days and there's tons on there .I only got topaz last Friday

another from a couple of weeks ago ,definetly liking the topaz more and more ,but it has to be controlled its not perfect
rocky by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

.... Referring to the shower jets on the Olympus video, Olympus state "beyond IPX1". Although the video might only last 1 minute I am sure that Olympus ran this test rig for hours if not days or even longer as is normal practice in such tests. For example, I know first-hand when AP were developing a brake for my car and I was at their workshop (not read on the hyperinterwebbynet) that the Bugatti Veyron calipers were tested on a 24/7 rig for months < That's months, not weeks. And they also run test rigs on their carbon clutches etc for various Formula One teams.

Professional manufacturing tests always run to limits beyond what is required.

You sound a little distrustful? Personally I always think positive and anyway I expect warranties and insurance to fix my camera gear if I have a problem. Obviously we should all take some care with our camera gear when out and about but we shouldn't let it hold us back. As already said, I accidentally got one of my M1X bodies wet and very muddy on the floor of an open fishing boat in Greece recently and no problem whatsoever
#

Hi Robin

Not distrustful, just a tad skeptical.....................as I recall the video shows, as per IPX1, dripping water with the IPX1 mentioned in a text box.

In the past, I have been selling materials with guaranteed longevity based on both 'endurance testing' as well as accelerated comparative estimated lifespan. In the case of the tests Olympus do, I do not doubt the kit is resistant but the cynic in me wonders because the video is promo showreel and not IMO representative of 'test to point of failure' controlled test. (Caveat being ~ was the one shown picked from the production line at random, was it used in the field or put in a test rig to press the buttons whilst 'rain' poured over it etc)

PS yes, warranties for failures that are not deemed wear & tear and/or misuse and insurance for accidental damage but I would not rely on either in the case of water ingress damage, unless explicitly mentioned in the T's & C's ;)

#

Hi Robin

Not distrustful, just a tad skeptical.....................as I recall the video shows, as per IPX1, dripping water with the IPX1 mentioned in a text box.

In the past, I have been selling materials with guaranteed longevity based on both 'endurance testing' as well as accelerated comparative estimated lifespan. In the case of the tests Olympus do, I do not doubt the kit is resistant but the cynic in me wonders because the video is promo showreel and not IMO representative of 'test to point of failure' controlled test. (Caveat being ~ was the one shown picked from the production line at random, was it used in the field or put in a test rig to press the buttons whilst 'rain' poured over it etc)

PS yes, warranties for failures that are not deemed wear & tear and/or misuse and insurance for accidental damage but I would not rely on either in the case of water ingress damage, unless explicitly mentioned in the T's & C's ;)

.... I understand and respect you being sceptical - You're not wrong to be so.

However, I believe that the Olympus Pro system has currently better weathersealing than any other camera on the market. Coupled with the other features which caused me to switch from Canon to this Olympus flagship, a lesser degree of weathersealing was not going to be a deal-breaker and as it is it's a valuable bonus.

These are quotes from two different Olympus photographers on other forums :

"As far as weather sealing goes, I've never used a rain cover for Olympus, I've treated and miss treated the E-M1 and E-M1.2 with Pro lenses in heavy downfall, snow, drenched in ocean waves while shooting from a SAR boat and just rinsed it off afterwards under the tap. There is one area that I have absolute confidence in Olympus and that is in durability and weather sealing."

"I have thoroughly rinsed my E-M1 II with the 12-40 PRO lens attached under a running tap after a shoot at the dusty sand dunes with no problems at all. How else are you going to remove the very fine sand and dust in the nooks and corners of the camera and lens? Just make sure that your rubber gaskets are in place and not damaged in any way!"

I will of course report any weathersealing problems here if I experience any but so far so good and hours of rain soaking and a dollop of thick soft mud off my boot have already been separately experienced. I am going to be on a windswept beach among the sand dunes for a few days in December - Wish me luck!

Back