Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

bl0at3r said:
Congrats - are you planning on taking just the body, kit lens and 45 or adding to it later?

For now, just this current kit. If I do add more lenses in the future I've got a Lowepro Classified Sling 180AW I could use anyway so looking for a nice and small sling bag. Any recommendations?

Also, how do you enable the touch super panel on the OMD? I can get it up by pressing the button on right side of evf but touching the different settings don't work.

Also, how do you enable the touch super panel on the OMD? I can get it up by pressing the button on right side of evf but touching the different settings don't work.

This blog has the instructions you want.

If you do an ebay search on Antler Camera, there's a number of these on there at the moment.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-bag-Antler-/221119013278?pt=UK_Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item337bb8619e
Quite cheap, nicely made and will fit Camera + Kit lens + Hood & 7-14mm in the main compartment. The little pockets each end will take a couple of batteries or the flash, and the longer side pocket will just take 20mm + 14mm pancakes.
You will almost certainly need need the space for the extra batteries.;)

A couple more macros with the 12-50

P9030193.jpg

P9030138.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions and tips guys. And those macro images look amazing. Just trying to play catch up on this long thread....

Will be heading off for a short trip this weekend so will test it out properly then.

For anyone interested in a hood for their Olympus 75mm f1.8, I just got my Chinese copy from eBay. £27 including free postage, it arrived in a week and looks good. It matches and fits the lens perfectly. My only comment is that the screw knob should tighten a band inside the hood to secure it to the lens, but it doesn't seem to do anything. (Edit: wasn't tightening screw far enough, works fine now). However the hood fits with a satisfying 'clunk' so I doubt it could fall off. Beats £69 for the genuine article and it IS necessary under certain lighting conditions.

hood.jpg

Last edited:
I have read on another forum, that to get the best from some (maybe all) the lenses on the OM-D then you should look at a lens hood.

I think its something to do with the improved contrast, but not to sure.

I have one on order for my Olympus 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6 R Lens, so will try my theory out.

Regards

Last edited:
For anyone interested in a hood for their Olympus 75mm f1.8, I just got my Chinese copy from eBay. £27 including free postage, it arrived in a week and looks good. It matches and fits the lens perfectly. My only comment is that the screw knob should tighten a band inside the hood to secure it to the lens, but it doesn't seem to do anything. (Edit: wasn't tightening screw far enough, works fine now). However the hood fits with a satisfying 'clunk' so I doubt it could fall off. Beats £69 for the genuine article and it IS necessary under certain lighting conditions.

hood.jpg

You mean to say that a £700+ lens does not come with a hood?

You mean to say that a £700+ lens does not come with a hood?

No, it doesn't and it is a source of great annoyance to people who want or buy this lens. I certainly wouldn't give them another £70 for a metal tube.

Bad form indeed. It should cost £800 and come with free plastic hood and flimsy faux leather pouch. That's how Canon does it ;)

Bad form indeed. It should cost £800 and come with free plastic hood and flimsy faux leather pouch. That's how Canon does it ;)

Glad I don't own canon then :) All my Pentax lenses come with nice hoods! Even the primes...

The odd thing about Olympus and hoods is that nealy all of the OM series of lenses had built-in hoods, so you didn't need to buy or carry anything extra.

The only thing i found with build in hoods,they had a habit of slideing back in to easly,i use an lens hood on all my lens,i find they offer good protection for the lens awell :)

I am looking at the OM-D to replace my DSLR, but is it the right choice? I am not looking for a debate on replacing a DSLR just the best 4/3. I am worried that in a couple of months it will be a few hundred pounds cheaper and also something better will be out there? My 450d may have lost me a couple of hundred but the glass is still worth what I paid for it. I appreciate there are always developments in this market is this the right time to dip in..........

sting said:
I am worried that in a couple of months it will be a few hundred pounds cheaper and also something better will be out there?
That's always going to be the case with consumer electronics. Maybe wait a couple of weeks to see all the Photokina announcements though...

My 450d may have lost me a couple of hundred but the glass is still worth what I paid for it. I appreciate there are always developments in this market is this the right time to dip in..........
I have the same hope for my m4/3 glass! :)

I am looking at the OM-D to replace my DSLR, but is it the right choice? I am not looking for a debate on replacing a DSLR just the best 4/3. I am worried that in a couple of months it will be a few hundred pounds cheaper and also something better will be out there? My 450d may have lost me a couple of hundred but the glass is still worth what I paid for it. I appreciate there are always developments in this market is this the right time to dip in..........

I assume you mean micro 4/3, not 4/3? 4/3 are different bodies with a different lens mount...

Depends what you use your camera for - just stills or also video?

Both Olympus and Panasonic are due to make new kit announcements next week. Panasonic will announce the GH3 and Olympus will announce a new line of PENs.

The GH3 will be Panasonics top-of-the-line camera, so they'll throw everything they've got at it. The GH2 is regarded as the best videography camera in m4/3 (and better than most dSLRs) so the GH3 is much anticipated. It'll probably be a pretty fine stills camera too, but maybe not up to OM-D standards unless Panasonic have pulled something out of the bag with sensor and processing. The G5 released a couple of months ago suggests they've closed the gap on Olympus - especially with RAW - but are a touch behind and the JPEG engine isn't as respected by many.

The new PENs are likely to feature the OM-D's sensor, but not likely to have the same 5-axis IBIS (it'll probably be a refined version of the old PEN IBIS) or built-in viewfinder.

So if you want the best STILLS camera, you might as well buy an OM-D now as I doubt the GH3 will steal it's crown (although it'll come close).
If you're interested in video, wait a week for the GH3 and see what Panasonic bring to the table.

Olympus have hinted at a "pro" (yuk, hate the term) camera to sit above the OM-D for early 2013, but I would never advise waiting for 'vapourware'...

Oh, and if you have some nice Canon glass, have a look at the Canon mirrorless offering. Using your existing glass via the adaptor may offer a slightly less wallet-crunching introduction to mirrorless, and give you an easy out if you decide it's not for you.

sting said:

I think you need to ask yourself why change? What is it that's driving the desire for m43's?

I assume you mean micro 4/3, not 4/3? 4/3 are different bodies with a different lens mount...

Depends what you use your camera for - just stills or also video?

Both Olympus and Panasonic are due to make new kit announcements next week. Panasonic will announce the GH3 and Olympus will announce a new line of PENs.

The GH3 will be Panasonics top-of-the-line camera, so they'll throw everything they've got at it. The GH2 is regarded as the best videography camera in m4/3 (and better than most dSLRs) so the GH3 is much anticipated. It'll probably be a pretty fine stills camera too, but maybe not up to OM-D standards unless Panasonic have pulled something out of the bag with sensor and processing. The G5 released a couple of months ago suggests they've closed the gap on Olympus - especially with RAW - but are a touch behind and the JPEG engine isn't as respected by many.

The new PENs are likely to feature the OM-D's sensor, but not likely to have the same 5-axis IBIS (it'll probably be a refined version of the old PEN IBIS) or built-in viewfinder.

So if you want the best STILLS camera, you might as well buy an OM-D now as I doubt the GH3 will steal it's crown (although it'll come close).
If you're interested in video, wait a week for the GH3 and see what Panasonic bring to the table.

Olympus have hinted at a "pro" (yuk, hate the term) camera to sit above the OM-D for early 2013, but I would never advise waiting for 'vapourware'...

Thanks I will wait to see what the GH3 brings and make a choice

are lens hoods really needed? Always used hoods with my Canon gear but not convinced that it's worth paying these prices for the M43 lens hoods...plus they aren't small, so just adds bulk to a supposedly compact system.

Thanks, took a look. The contrast is better with the hood, but not entirely convinced that it's worth paying the extra money for a hood for each lens in the bag and then having to carry the extra weight/size. I don't think I'd be able to fit the lens hoods in the bag I have so it'd mean using a bigger bag just for the hoods. Also, do all M43 hoods reverse fit onto the lens? That one on the 75mm looks pretty big....

Thanks, took a look. The contrast is better with the hood, but not entirely convinced that it's worth paying the extra money for a hood for each lens in the bag and then having to carry the extra weight/size. I don't think I'd be able to fit the lens hoods in the bag I have so it'd mean using a bigger bag just for the hoods. Also, do all M43 hoods reverse fit onto the lens? That one on the 75mm looks pretty big....

This is what you get without a hood if you use the 75mm in extreme conditions:

Nohood.jpg

This is the hood, it is next to an AA battery

hood2.jpg

I think it is worth £27 not to spoil the performance of an £800 lens

Does anybody use the Tamrac Rally 6 Messenger Camera Bag, for there OMD kit?

I have the camera, grip, 12-50mm & 40-150mm lenses at present, but will at some stage get either the 75-300mm or the 100-300mm lens.

Link Here

Does anybody use the Tamrac Rally 6 Messenger Camera Bag, for there OMD kit?

I have the camera, grip, 12-50mm & 40-150mm lenses at present, but will at some stage get either the 75-300mm or the 100-300mm lens.

Link Here
I looked at one on the weekend and wanted it for the G5/12-35 mounted, a-n-other-body/35-100 mounted and 7-14 . I came to the conclusion it was too big for what I wanted....

I was using the Pany 7-14 with my OMD and got some nasty lens flare in some of my shots, read about this before where it's and issue with reflections inside the camera. Anybody else experience this?

I was using the Pany 7-14 with my OMD and got some nasty lens flare in some of my shots, read about this before where it's and issue with reflections inside the camera. Anybody else experience this?

Yip, you'll find discussions at mu4/3 about this.

I have decided to get the OM-D, two questions how long does everyone think it will be before a mk2 comes out? and secondly is it worth getting the kit lens or just the body and a more verstile lens such as the Olympus 14-150mm or any other suggestions?

Can't answer your MK2 question but I had the same dilemma over the kit lens.
In the end I reasoned that for £150 it was worth it, and I am very pleased that I did. It seems to be under rated and is worth having for its semi macro capabilities alone.
If you look back through this thread, if I remember correctly, there are a fair few examples using this lens.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Congratulations on your choice Neil

Rumors are that the next OM-D bodies to be released will be a cheaper model and a more expensive model, but being just rumors only time will tell.

I really wish I purchased the kit lens with the body, early reviews of the kit lens were not amazing, but real world usage has shown the lens to be very capable and with the macro capability make it very useful indeed. I'm sure any owners in here will give you more details of the kit lens.

Look forward to some shots, reminds me to post some too ;)

Welcome to the OMD club. I've just recently taken the plunge myself and went for the kit lens package as we'll as the 45mm 1.8. My personal experience is that the kit lens is fine as a general out and about lens, i find the e-zoom mode much better than manual and the macro function is useful to have, but honestly I've been using the 45mm more than the kit lens due to it's low light capabilities and excellent image quality. I also have the 20mm 1.7 panny from my gf1 but the AF is so slow on that lens it's not really had much use.

So to summarise imo, if you can afford something a lot better as a standard walkabout lens like the 12-35 f2.8 then go for body only but if you're on a budget and need a general purpose lens, the 12-50 kit lens is worth the extra £150, and get a fast prime either the 45mm 1.8 or 25mm PL 1.4 if you can stretch that much.

Second those comments from Allen, I have both the 45 1.8 and the 25 1.4, both outstanding lenses. The 12-35 is also supposed to be great, but very expensive.

Don't know about the next generation OM-D but the current model is pretty good, once you get used to the menu system (use the super control panel). I'm having fun with mine:

P9230363_zpsd06c3914.jpg

P9230455_zps7a9f516e.jpg

Last edited:
Back