Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last edited:
7-14 would be nice and wide. But it's expensive and quite big compared to the pocketable 9-18mm. Which I use as a walkabout lens as well as a super wide angle.
And being light and wide it's easy to handhold at night with the EM5 ibis. Or if a tripod is required, you can use a super compact tripod. Worth buying, if you only have a big, heavy one needed for DSLRs. I sling mine over the shoulder and forget it's there.

Last edited:
I read lots of reviews and watched lots of videos and its true! You really dont get how small the EM5 is until its in your hands. The 12-50 and grip are also smaller than i imagined. Just off to pick up the 40-150 now. Damn you Amazon lightning deal!!!@#$#@...hehe

Well the 12mm prime was on my list, but I'm not sure whether to just get the 9-18... :thinking: Would make sense I guess.

I shot the photo on the bridge using my phone as I didn't want any camera shake with it being a long exposure, but the others where shot normally.

A fisheye is what you really need ;-)

I ventured out with the Tokina 300 f/2.8 and stacked converters, MC-14 and Canon 1.4x-A Extender this evening. 588 mm focal length.
RAW processed with Capture One 8

So my EM5 arrived today while I was out. Battery on charge before testing begins.

Small is definately the case !

I guess my lack of complete research made the external flash a bit of a surprise (although not necessarily a show stopper as the lack of internal flash adds to the compactness of the body) Equally the original 35mm OM cameras didn't have the luxury of an internal flash (maybe it is something I have become acustomed to using Nikon bodies).

My bigest concern nownis battery life with only one battery and £50+ for another I won't be buying one next week. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with a 3rd party battery. The web is seemingly full of woes suffed by dodgy 3rd party batteries but little postive news.

I am just very nervous as although I have always liked the look and compact size of the EM5 I just don't know what it is capable of compared to my D90 (although its probably far more capable than my talent).

People seem to get good results with cheap batteries. Many saying they don't last quite as long,but are worth the price difference. Some don't work with the Olympus charger and come with a charger. Others do. Check on the busy forums at mu-43.com.

Last edited:
These are the ones I got for mine (link) - they are for the E-M10 but I imagine there are similar for the EM5

My bigest concern nownis battery life with only one battery and £50+ for another I won't be buying one next week. Has anyone had a good or bad experience with a 3rd party battery. The web is seemingly full of woes suffed by dodgy 3rd party batteries but little postive news.

I really wouldn't worry about the battery life. I use a couple of expro white (not black) with the original and they all perform fine. It shows the bars going down etc. Clearly a battery that costs £10 isn't going to compare to an olympus one at £50. They also use the Olympus charger.

Last edited:
So my new Em5........so many things to learn. It took me about 10 mins to realise there was a button on the side of the hump to engage live view mode on the lcd! It was so funny....i thought i had a defective product at first.

Focus is crazy fast with the 45mm. I have had lots of cameras in the past but the speed of this is insane.

The Hld grip is really nice and still keeps the whole kit small.

I picked up the 45-150 with the lovely bag for £99 on sale at currys........it had gone back up to £139 on amazon.

Then also got the 9mm body cap lens for £65 on amazon.

So i know have all my shooting options covered and it all fits in my jacket pockets. Amazing!

What with weather sealing, 5 axis IS, shoot with filter and raw at same time and 7 shot bracketing this pocket rocket will open up a lot of new creative options and opportunities.

Just need to sort out battery options now like DrRusty.

I think my decision to go to the e-m10 was definitely the right one - as said above, the AF is so fast. Where the d7000 would be thinking about it, the em10 will have finished and I'd be onto the next shot.

I too need to sort new batteries...

See my post above, those are the ones I got for my E-M10, sure they don't last as long as the original and they don't give much warning they're going to run out, but two for around £8 is very cheap.

I just bought a Duracell battery for £14ish, I thought that the two for £12 must be too much of a compromise so will see how this goes and let you know.

You should be used to batteries that just die on you after loosing 1 bar with the Fuji!

If and when i buy a spare battery i will buy the ex-pro ones. Had them for both my dslr's and on both occasions they were better than the original.

Has anyone got a screen protector fitted?

Lols...

Hello David,

My name's Michelle Warwicker and I work at BBC Earth online. I would love to use your lovely snowy landscape image from the Winterwatch Flickr group (www.flickr.com/photos/73723596@N08/16135497912/in/pool-bbcwinterwatch/) in a picture gallery to be published on the site this week. However, please let me know if you have any queries about my using it.

I also wondered, should you have time to respond today or tomorrow, if you had any stories or information attached to the shot that you might be happy for me to use in the caption?

Many thanks,

Michelle

:D

Nice

When i was going through my shots from yesterday morning, i noticed that when using the app the camera takes a RAW and JPG shot. So i decided to look at both in Lr and the JPG's were noticeably less sharp with a fair bit less detail. Has anyone else noticed that? Maybe i have some settings wrong in camera?

Doesn't really matter as i will never use JPG's but just thought i'd ask. :)

You should be used to batteries that just die on you after loosing 1 bar with the Fuji!

If and when i buy a spare battery i will buy the ex-pro ones. Had them for both my dslr's and on both occasions they were better than the original.

Has anyone got a screen protector fitted?

I forgot about a screen protector, need to order one today.

Lols...

Hello David,

My name's Michelle Warwicker and I work at BBC Earth online. I would love to use your lovely snowy landscape image from the Winterwatch Flickr group (www.flickr.com/photos/73723596@N08/16135497912/in/pool-bbcwinterwatch/) in a picture gallery to be published on the site this week. However, please let me know if you have any queries about my using it.

I also wondered, should you have time to respond today or tomorrow, if you had any stories or information attached to the shot that you might be happy for me to use in the caption?

Many thanks,

Michelle

:D

Let me refer you to this thread...

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/more-redundant-photographers.571567/

... the JPG's were noticeably less sharp with a fair bit less detail. Has anyone else noticed that? Maybe i have some settings wrong in camera?
I think you must have some setting wrong. As I can see no difference in sharpness on mine . I mostly use the JPEG. Unless there are exposure difficulties.
It could be the resolution it not set to max. There is also a sharpness setting. But that is just fine tuning and probably not the cause.
The guys on the busy forums at mu-43.com will know.

Last edited:
When i was going through my shots from yesterday morning, i noticed that when using the app the camera takes a RAW and JPG shot. So i decided to look at both in Lr and the JPG's were noticeably less sharp with a fair bit less detail. Has anyone else noticed that? Maybe i have some settings wrong in camera?

Doesn't really matter as i will never use JPG's but just thought i'd ask. :)

Hi,
is there not another setting for Super fine JPG, there is on the EM1 but unless you know it's there it might be missed. on the EM1 it's in the custom menu G under colour/WB. Only had mine for a few weeks, but somebody I know has one told me about this setting

Just checked and the basic JPG uses a file of 1.3 MB, Fine is 6.94MB, Superfine is 7.5MB and the Raw is 13.9MB. quite a difference from the basic JPG to the superfine JPG

Back