Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm trying to resist GAS

@Nawty 40-150 pro + TC ( don't need one ), 42.5 f1.* ( didn't use the 45 1.8 I had )

The usual daftness :D

I'm failing to resist it :) Just PXd my E-M5 for an E-M1 with MPB and just got it today so looking forward to the firmware update in Nov!

Did you get a new E-M1, or a used one and how did you find the transaction?

I am thinking of getting a quote from them for my 7D, but haven't yet quite decided what to get as a replacement. I am finding my 7D far too heavy these days...:(

Via MPB, I'd say it's used. I've used them several times and they've always been great.

I have an e-m1 and find it great. Everything that I had in a rucksack now fits in a sling ( 7.5mm FE, 12-40 f2.8, 25mm f1.8, 40-150, 75-300, a few filters, flash, 2 spare batteries + charger ) with some room to spare

Anyone used HDEW? They have the EM1 @ £515 with three year warranty, I'm guessing this is a 'grey' import?

Did you get a new E-M1, or a used one and how did you find the transaction?

I am thinking of getting a quote from them for my 7D, but haven't yet quite decided what to get as a replacement. I am finding my 7D far too heavy these days...:(

Yes it was a used one, but in excellent condition. I'd rather buy used UK product than going down the grey import route. The transaction was very straightforward - you just fill in the details of what you want to PX when you click to buy something, and they contact you with a quote, and then arrange a courier to collect it.

Yes it was a used one, but in excellent condition. I'd rather buy used UK product than going down the grey import route. The transaction was very straightforward - you just fill in the details of what you want to PX when you click to buy something, and they contact you with a quote, and then arrange a courier to collect it.

:ty: Simon.

No probs. I've used them a few times now, both to buy from and sell to, although the balance is very much in their favour :p Their trade-in prices can best be described as fair if not generous, but the process is very straightforward.

I have attached the Canon MP-e 65mm to my Olympus EM-1 using the Commlite auto aperture adapter and it only works :D So I now have my favourite all time lens on my favourite at the moment camera.

Dinner Time
by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Great shot Alby and something I am now really considering.

I have booked a last minute holiday to Japan. I have a full frame Canon which I love (5D3), but as I will be travelling whilst there, and also plan more travelling in the coming year, I am seriously thinking of buying an Olympus M5ii. In fact I have been consumed by what gear to take - hopefully I will remember some clothes! It's not a photography holiday, but I am hoping to take lots of photos, and my current gear is just too big and heavy.

So, having considered Sony and Fuji alternatives, and then thinking I might take my 5D after all, I'm now back to the idea of an M5ii, but what lens? I think ultra wide would be good - so maybe the 9-18mm?
My main question - apart from the focal lengths, is there much difference between the two kit lenses - the 12-50mm and 14-42mm? I would prefer lightness over build quality at this point, but I would like the lens to be sharp. Are the kits lenses best avoided?

I have booked a last minute holiday to Japan.

Ooooh! VERY Jealous!
A couple of things that would be on my list are the cat and rabbit islands :D

On the gear side personally I'd go for a quality camera with just the one nice and fast prime, 17mm f1.8 or something like that and a quality compact for the wider and longer stuff and for the occasions when even MFT is a bit too much.

Ooooh! VERY Jealous!
A couple of things that would be on my list are the cat and rabbit islands :D

On the gear side personally I'd go for a quality camera with just the one nice and fast prime, 17mm f1.8 or something like that and a quality compact for the wider and longer stuff and for the occasions when even MFT is a bit too much.
Ah - so you think I should stick with the 5D3 plus a compact? I only have the nifty fifty or a lump of a macro lens as primes. I have a Canon G15 which is okay. I had considered just the 25mm f/1.8 lens with the M5ii and then seeing what lenses were like out there. Although presumably there would be import duty to pay.

... and yes I feel very lucky, although I wish I'd got a bit more time to consider my gear and itinerary.

By the way - what is MFT?? I have read it a few times and this time google was not very friendly... ;)
Edit - silly me - Micro Four Thirds?

Last edited:
Ah - so you think I should stick with the 5D3 plus a compact? I only have the nifty fifty or a lump of a macro lens as primes. I have a Canon G15 which is okay. I had considered just the 25mm f/1.8 lens with the M5ii and then seeing what lenses were like out there. Although presumably there would be import duty to pay.

... and yes I feel very lucky, although I wish I'd got a bit more time to consider my gear and itinerary.

By the way - what is MFT?? I have read it a few times and this time google was not very friendly... ;)

MTF = Micro Four Thirds :D

By "a quality camera" I meant anything from MFT and upwards (Olympus or Panasonic MFT, Fuji or Sony APS-C, Sony FF) although many would say that the better compacts are good enough so maybe 1 inch sensor and larger is good enough? Personally I wouldn't take a 5D as I think that compact system cameras are easily good enough for most things these days. In August I went to Thailand and took my Sony A7+35mm f2.8 and a Panasonic LF1 as my pocket camera. In the past I've just taken my Panasonic GX7+one prime and a compact.

I've seen plenty of people with large DSLR's in Asia but my days with them are behind me and I much prefer the more compact and lighter compact system cameras now.

Last edited:
I've got the 14-150mm which is now my default walkabout/holiday lens and is the one that normally lives on my E-M10 as I'm lazy and I love the massive range it gives me - that said it's not always the sharpest (again that is probably down to my extremely lazy style and snapshot attitude while I'm out and about - I've also had some quite decent images with it as well).
I've got a couple of primes as well, the 45mm rarely gets an outing but was so cheap with cash back earlier this year that I couldn't say no. The 17mm f1.8 is the other lens that gets quite a bit of use, especially indoors or poorer lighting conditions.
The weight/size savings even over my old Nikon D90 and two lens set up is unbelievable if I'm honest.

MTF = Micro Four Thirds :D

By "a quality camera" I meant anything from MFT and upwards (Olympus or Panasonic MFT, Fuji or Sony APS-C, Sony FF) although many would say that the better compacts are good enough so maybe 1 inch sensor and larger is good enough? Personally I wouldn't take a 5D as I think that compact system cameras are easily good enough for most things these days. In August I went to Thailand and took my Sony A7+35mm f2.8 and a Panasonic LF1 as my pocket camera. In the past I've just taken my Panasonic GX7+one prime and a compact.

I've seen plenty of people with large DSLR's in Asia but my days with them are behind me and I much prefer the more compact and lighter compact system cameras now.
Yes even with the nifty fifty, the 5D weighs in at around a Kg. I was very tempted by the A7 and one day would love the A7rii :) but it strikes me that the lenses are more compact on the MFT - now I know what it means! :D

Thanks ianp5a and Chappers I've just been researching the 14-150 as I hadn't seen it for sale anywhere. I'm also struck by how tiny the 14-42EZ is - only 93g!!

I recently took my EM1 to Tokyo and was pleased about the weight saving, I would have taken my EM10 but I knew it was going to be rainy so wanted the weather proofing of the EM1.

If I'd had a EM5ii I would have taken that.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72341657@N02/albums/72157654588304948
Wow! Thank you for sharing. It looks like the 40-150 is the lens on offer with the m5ii kit here http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...ital-camera-with-12-50mm-lens-silver/p1567212 If so, I'm very impressed by the sharpness for such a low price. I wasn't thinking I would use such a long lens, but seeing your shots has made me think differently. And you have the nicer f/2.8 zoom which I don't think I could stretch to at the moment.

Did you look at the cost of lenses when you were there?

Wow! Thank you for sharing. It looks like the 40-150 is the lens on offer with the m5ii kit here http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-...ital-camera-with-12-50mm-lens-silver/p1567212 If so, I'm very impressed by the sharpness for such a low price. I wasn't thinking I would use such a long lens, but seeing your shots has made me think differently. And you have the nicer f/2.8 zoom which I don't think I could stretch to at the moment.

Did you look at the cost of lenses when you were there?

The cheap 40-150 is a stupendous lens for the money (yes same lens on offer in your link) and the zoo visit was a dark and rainy day - most of those were shot at ISO 5000 IIRC (or maybe 6400). I suppose it's fair to say that the lens was pretty showerproof too (in my experience all lenses are, actually). For a travel telephoto lens it's a no brainer, it weighs nothing.

Lenses are cheap in Tokyo although I didn't buy any; I did buy a genuine grip for the EM1, a FL-600R and a genuine battery and the total was about £260 which is the price of just the flash here!! (flash with international warranty too!). I seem to recall that they had the brand-new 7-14 pro in stock for around £6-700ish.

Bodies are cheap too but be careful as apparently most cameras you buy in Japan only have Japanese language options. Fine if you speak Japanese but otherwise a bit tricky.

I have said it many times but since getting my m4/3 kit in February this year I haven't touched my FF Nikon kit, especially as most of my photography pleasure is travel based.

Many thanks Nawty. I've just been reading through the customs info online. If I've read correctly, I'm okay bringing something in for personal use up to the value of £630, after that there is a 2.5% duty + possibly vat. So I'm tempted to get the 14-42EZ lens (for it's compact size) and body here and then buy another lens out there. Hmmm will do some phoning around tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.

Many thanks Nawty. I've just been reading through the customs info online. If I've read correctly, I'm okay bringing something in for personal use up to the value of £630, after that there is a 2.5% duty + possibly vat. So I'm tempted to get the 14-42EZ lens (for it's compact size) and body here and then buy another lens out there. Hmmm will do some phoning around tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
I like the 14-42 ez especially on the E-M5 it is nice and small.

Look at this post for a shot with mine
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/index.php?posts/6990507

Photoshop actions anybody recommend any good sites or good packs, I'm surfing ETSY and see lots, but I'm trying to get a bundle that will help with the initial make the photo pop stuff,

Macro and Motorsport specific if that exists, anybody help me.
Also my Dads 83 and forgets stuff, and I have recorded his but anything worthy of helping him would be great

Thanks guys

Like probably most of us on here, I have a multitude of various camera bags (mainly for my Full frame DSLR systems), many of which are large and heavy. For my Olympus M43 set up which I'm using more and more now, I've been using a Lowepro DSLR Video Pack 250AW, but my 40-150 F2.8 Pro lens is just a little too long to comfortably fit without a bulge in the bag top. I'm therefore looking for a decent day bag (if one exists) that is as small as possible but can comfortably carry the following please (yeah I know - I don't want much do I) :
  • Olympus OMD-EM1 with Grip and 12-40 F2.8 Pro Attached
  • Olympus 7-14 F2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 40-150 F2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 1.4 Teleconverter
  • Olympus 17mm F1.8 or Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4 (I carry either - not both at the same time).
  • Space for an Ipad Air II
  • Space for my Lee Sev5n Filter system (holder and 5 filters)
  • A "day Pack" compartment for odds and sods (cables, Chargers, spare batteries, Keys etc.)
Like I say, the current bag is "almost" perfect, just a bit too shallow for the 40-150. Anyone any suggestions please. Want to keep it as small and light as possible so that it can be my travel pack and go in overhead luggage on holidays abroad.

Thanks.

Back