Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The 2 new lenses are also announced, the 40-150 pro f4 at £899…

I was thinking about that lens to replace my 40-150R but then I thought how many times do I shot anything at over 100mm ? Hardly ever…

i had also been thinking about getting a 12-60 because a lot of car stuff I do is in that range.

So that, along with the 40-150 f4 price, has now lead me to think do I get rid of my p12-32 ( hasnt been used for a few months ), O45 ( used once for a family wedding ), P20 ( not used since the arrival of my P25 f1.4 ) and 40-150R ( not used since last summer ) and consolidate everything to the 12-100 pro…

OK, it’s bigger and heavier but I wouldnt have all the other lenses in my bag. I’d just have 2…

Just get the 12-100, its a superb lens right through its focal range.
Yes bigger and heavier, but no messing about lens changing.
With sync is hand held speeds are better than anything else I have ever used.
Use mine all the time and its even good relatively close up.

So I've placed a pre-order for the OM-1 and the HLD-10 grip to replace my E-M1X.
At this point I'm reserving judgement as to whether I complete the order - though shipping is predicted as 7th March, so not long.
I have a 'one-off' project happening in the US this year and it will be in an environment where the IP-53 sealing will be a big plus. I had decided long ago that I will leave my Nikon kit at home and use my Olympus kit. The weight and space saving is huge.
The advantage of the new sensor appears to be in speed, and perhaps focusing prowess.
Must see what p/x value I can get for my E-M1X!

Interesting read/view. Lovely name for it!

certainly a move up from the OMD-EM1 MKII, and it looks lovely…

WEX and Park emails I received both say £1999 body only and free extra battery for pre orders
Yeah, I quickly amended my post but it looks like I was too slow for you :p

For those moving to or returning to Olympus the bundle with 12-40 is a good deal.
It’s got my attention.

One Downside by the looks of it is 2 reviewers have questioned if the old batteries will work in the new body a right pain if you are running an em1x or mkiii alongside it in the field I hope they are wrong.
Other specs look pretty impressive though.
I shall be interested in the iso capabilities if they have managed to get an increase of 1.5 to 2 stops improvement on the noise front one could find it's way into my bag in the near future.

It does look a worthy upgrade from my EM1mk2. The clincher will be if the 2-stop noise reduction claim proves to be true, but I guess we'll have to wait for real world testing to find that out.

I'm actually very pleased that they have been able to cram lots more technology into a body that is barely any larger or heavier than the EM1 mk2/3. :)

One big drawback for me is that my version of LR will not support files from this new camera. Fortunately I already have a work around in DXOPhotolab although it won't be worth upgrading until the latter supports the new camera. (Assuming I understand the technology correctly)

Last edited:
Is their any info on how they’re managing the two stops better noise performance. Is it down to sensor tech, or all processing magic?

Is their any info on how they’re managing the two stops better noise performance. Is it down to sensor tech, or all processing magic?
.... Apparently achieved by a combo of its new sensor and new more powerful processor. Doubtless plus a bit of firmware magic under the hood.

One Downside by the looks of it is 2 reviewers have questioned if the old batteries will work in the new body a right pain if you are running an em1x or mkiii alongside it in the field I hope they are wrong.
Other specs look pretty impressive though.
I shall be interested in the iso capabilities if they have managed to get an increase of 1.5 to 2 stops improvement on the noise front one could find it's way into my bag in the near future.
I've read twice now that the batteries won't be cross-compatible.

As you say, a right pain.

So I've placed a pre-order for the OM-1 and the HLD-10 grip to replace my E-M1X.
At this point I'm reserving judgement as to whether I complete the order - though shipping is predicted as 7th March, so not long.
I have a 'one-off' project happening in the US this year and it will be in an environment where the IP-53 sealing will be a big plus. I had decided long ago that I will leave my Nikon kit at home and use my Olympus kit. The weight and space saving is huge.
The advantage of the new sensor appears to be in speed, and perhaps focusing prowess.
Must see what p/x value I can get for my E-M1X!
.... Like you I am tempted to sell both my E-M1X bodies to p/x!

Everything I have read about the new OM-1 suggest it is a major upgrade, not that I am dissatisfied with the E-M1X.

Does anyone know if the OM-1 RAW file format is the same - ORF please?

Yep. The kit which includes 12-40. Also ordered the battery charger.
.... Have they told you when you can realistically expect to receive it yet please?

Hopefully supplies fulfilling pre-orders won't be as long as for the ED 150-400mm TC Pro!!!

.... Have they told you when you can realistically expect to receive it yet please?

Hopefully supplies fulfilling pre-orders won't be as long as for the ED 150-400mm TC Pro!!!
Sadly not. Hopefully early March. The free battery offer finishes on 7th March. Maybe it’ll ship soon after.

Take this as you want, but on this site (just translate to English), this chap is showing some 1:1 crops from the new OM-1 at crazy high ISO's (40,000), and to my eye at least they look superb (and not just for a M4/3 product). Do do have to be a little bit careful in the "gushing" about the camera as he is apparently an OM ambassador in Germany but still...

https://www.geh-photo.org/post/die-om-1-im-praxistest

Take this as you want, but on this site (just translate to English), this chap is showing some 1:1 crops from the new OM-1 at crazy high ISO's (40,000), and to my eye at least they look superb (and not just for a M4/3 product). Do do have to be a little bit careful in the "gushing" about the camera as he is apparently an OM ambassador in Germany but still...

With 4 photo diodes per pixel (cell) there is quite a lot of scope for adjustment calculations, to smooth the noise at a pixel level. We do not know the sensitivity of these photo diodes, they might all be the same or they could work as Fuji S5 Pro concept, where different sensitivity is applied to each diode,

Its certainly a clever box of tricks, and a computational powerhouse.

Last edited:

.... The claims I have read are that it is up to FF standard but let's not forget that the FF brands are also leaping forward and improving more.

Still, noise is my biggest criticism of the E-M1X although not helped by the subjects I shoot influencing my camera settings < But that's the real-world for me personally.

Thanks for posting. It DOES sound promising.......

.... Like you I am tempted to sell both my E-M1X bodies to p/x!

Everything I have read about the new OM-1 suggest it is a major upgrade, not that I am dissatisfied with the E-M1X.

Does anyone know if the OM-1 RAW file format is the same - ORF please?
It does sound like the complete package......................

Time to assess my kit and think maybe what to sell to offset the cost :thinking:
Much as I would like to have one in my hand tomorrow, I won't be ordering at least until the new camera's files are supported by DXOLab........ Why would you if you can't process the files?

And then there's the early adopters premium.....
Completely valid......I have downloaded an example raw .orf and as yet even FastRawViewer cannot read it let alone DxO PL5
.... The claims I have read are that it is up to FF standard but let's not forget that the FF brands are also leaping forward and improving more.

Still, noise is my biggest criticism of the E-M1X although not helped by the subjects I shoot influencing my camera settings < But that's the real-world for me personally.
Well, the online presentation at 8pm by Dave Smith & Tesni Ward I hope will cover our favourite subjects and what the OM-1 will 'do for us'.

I just hope the gushing will be kept at bay and they will show us what it truly can do :)

PS to above, I have not seen it commented on elsewhere but at last the box contains a double battery charger........though the fact that they have used a new battery design is a tad annoying :banghead:

PS to above, I have not seen it commented on elsewhere but at last the box contains a double battery charger........though the fact that they have used a new battery design is a tad annoying :banghead:
I had missed that - and even considered ordering it separately.
In fact I'm sure I have seen some of the video reviews stating that it ships without an external charger (perhaps true in other markets?).

Just spotted that AP have their review up

In fact I'm sure I have seen some of the video reviews stating that it ships without an external charger (perhaps true in other markets?).
I read it here

But have just re-read it to add the above pointer and the Box Contents have changed :mad:

USB C in camera charing is possible, as is charging from a power bank.

For charging my OMD-M1 II batteries, and the Pen-F ones, I tend to use USB chargers, not mains ones. That way I can also charge the spares from powerbanks, and not be reliant on mains when travelling.

Last edited:
USB C in camera charing is possible, as is charging from a power bank.

For charging my OMD-M1 II batteries, and the Pen-F ones, I tend to use USB chargers, not mains ones. That way I can also charge the spares from powerbanks, and not be reliant on mains when travelling.

Wonder if it will work direct from a powerbank?
I believe the E-M1 iii does, but it needs one of the higher amp output type, not just the bog standard ones.

It does sound like the complete package......................

Time to assess my kit and think maybe what to sell to offset the cost :thinking:

Completely valid......I have downloaded an example raw .orf and as yet even FastRawViewer cannot read it let alone DxO PL5

Well, the online presentation at 8pm by Dave Smith & Tesni Ward I hope will cover our favourite subjects and what the OM-1 will 'do for us'.

I just hope the gushing will be kept at bay and they will show us what it truly can do :)
.... Yep, RAW editing apps need to get up to speed superfast to be able to handle the new files.

Re tonight's online presentation, I don't know about David Smith but I have direct all day face-face experience with Tesni Ward and although she is a good photographer I am far from impressed with her sales bull.

If you are coming from a E-M1X it's very easy to understand what the OM-1 has the potential to do - It's sounding like a slightly smaller seriously upgraded E-M1X to a proper mkII full version and that is very attractive.

It looks like a substantial improvement on the current comparative model.
Unlike the E-M1 iii which I didn't think added that much over the ii and consequently got returned.

I shall take a closer look at all the features and see how many appeal or replace what I already have.
If the answer is affirmative i'll let them iron any bugs out before parting with my money.

FWIW

The AP review I linked to has ISO examples and the ISO 6400 (SOOC?) looks impressive and if 'right' when DxO get their act to together, Prime NR will 'eat it for breakfast' :D

I think it’s a very positive release, hope it does well ! Looking at Dpreview I think the images look very impressive.

I am contemplating changing my 5 mk iii for the 1 mk iii though so won’t be looking at ordering the latest model - I think :)

That'll be PL6 then :mad:
Oh you cynic...........but unfortunately you may be right......I think I will 'reach out' on the DxO forum and ask the "staff" member in charge of that area?

Back