On1 photo raw 2018

Name
Clint
Edit My Images
Yes
I am considering leaving Lightroom(5.7). ( from what I have read the Standalone 6 is no longer valid this year, does that mean an uninstalled one is no longer valid.) I don’t shoot enough to justify paying for subscription. In the past I only upgraded once about every three years and have no need of photoshop. There is a lack of information and personal accounts of On1 photo raw 2018 on the web so I would like to hear what USERS think and their opinions. Many thanks

OnOne's workflow is based on presets. The interface works
well but I see it as very limiting in the art of post-production.
I bought it and took it off my machines… lost money for me.

Serif make a better one that I don't use to process my RAWs
but only as pixel editor — very good in that… Affinity Photo!

I am considering leaving Lightroom(5.7). ( from what I have read the Standalone 6 is no longer valid this year, does that mean an uninstalled one is no longer valid.) I don’t shoot enough to justify paying for subscription. In the past I only upgraded once about every three years and have no need of photoshop. There is a lack of information and personal accounts of On1 photo raw 2018 on the web so I would like to hear what USERS think and their opinions. Many thanks

You can upgrade from LR5 to LR6 standalone version for about fifty quid on the Adobe website, not sure what you mean by not valid.
It will still work ad infinitum, same as all the old versions do, but they won't be providing any further updates.

Fortunately my cameras are covered by LR6, even if they weren't the DNG converter is available for processing RAW files

I have OnOne PhotoRaw 2018 and quite like it. I wouldn't say that the workflow is based on pre-sets any more than Lightroom is. You can certainly use presets but you don't have to. It isn't perhaps as intuitive as Lightroom, but I often use it to get the most out of specific landscape images. I use it as a plugin to LR v6 so I get the best of both worlds :)

As Rich said, LR Standalone still works. I have it and use it daily.

As Rich says, but you're not going to gain much. However 5.7 is a very capable engine and should remain so for the foreseeable future - until your latest operating system will no longer run it, maybe. Newer camera raws can be easily DNG'd for nothing.

It depends partly on how you value the LR catalogue functions.

I can't see that you will gain much by leaving LR. Even your existing 5.7 is a superb bit of kit. It will do far more than you will ask of it. You can upgrade but the improvements are slight and if you are cost conscious then not upgrading won't greatly harm your processing ability.

It will continue to run as a standalone programme for some considerable time yet. The only potential problem will come as camera systems create newer RAW files than LR can handle. Then you just use the free DNG convertor. That only adds one small step to your workflow and us not excessively onerous.

Stay with LR which you know and understand. You won't go far wrong.

Thanks to all for your thoughts but it looks like not many use On1

but it looks like not many use On1

Personally, I was trying to find a way out of Adobe. This
motivated my looking around for alternatives and OnOne
was out there… so I tried it. Although it can produce fair
results for the less enthusiasts among the photographers
community, it did not in its approach support the efforts and
commitments of the advanced or pro users.

They seemed to have taken the imagery path which is not
sufficient for involved students and ambitious advanced pho-
tographers. I gave it up.

Back