Beginner Order mistake.

The 40D gets my vote as well.

Thanks all for your advice on everything. I went to a camera store today just for fun to see about, I knew everything there would be super expensive haha.

The guy had loads of nikkon in and little cannon. Got me thinking, I was so gun ho on getting a canon because someone, a friend of mine who did a photography course, told me Nikon was just that bit more complicated... I kind of just took his word on it.

What do you guys think? Feels like I'm sometimes over thinking and researching but I guess to me this is a big purchase.

Should I stick to canon, or should I do done Nikon research?

Thanks guys

yo had a play with the cameras in the shop, which one did you prefer the ergonomics of?

I have a Canon and have done so for the last 10+ yrs. I am used to the way it handles.

I tried a friends Nikon and whilst the 'getting around functionality' was different, the image quality was brilliant.

Horses for courses as they say....

(you'll have to find out what he Nikon equivalent of the 40D is - I've got the Canon and moved from a 300D to that - it was a revelation)

Should I stick to canon, or should I do done Nikon research?

No one can tell you which brand to go for, only you can decide that.
As already said, hold both brands and see which one you are happy with, have a look at the menus and again, see which you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask a dozen camera geeks which is better; Nikon or Canon... you'ff get a score of answers, in which, some-one is bound to say Olympus, at some point....
Its an argument that dates back to the stone age.. well, the 1960's ish.. I shall return to that.....
BASIC answer is there's no right one.
Personally I like Nikon... the controls are all pretty intuitive... to me...... hand me a Canon... and I have to do the unthinkable... RTFM.... they seem to need a lot of buttons prodding to make them do anything, and you have to hunt through a lot of menus to get to less common controls..... so, I do have a theory that a lot of Canon fans are camera geeks who spend more time looking at the camera rather than through it, whilst Nikon Fans are probably more likely interested in taking photos and looking through the thing.... stands back and waits for the bang.....
But, your call... go fiddle, see which you prefer and find more intuitive to use, and which fits your mitt.
Back to mention of the stone age; occasionally gets suggested that Canon make the better bodies, Nikon the better lenses, and reference made to the fact that before either made an entire lens+body camera, Nikon were a lens maker; Canon a camera maker... who for their early cameras bought in Nikon made lenses... that was over half a century ago.. now makes little odds; though Nikon do still cling to their F-Mount legacy, and vaunt the fact that a modern F-Mount DSLR will mount any F-Mount lens made since something like 1949... you can get a lot of lenses for Nikon's! Canon on the other hand vaunt the fact that they are the company behind the in-lens cylindrical linear focus motors, and made Auto-Focus work.
Practically there's bog all between them as far as technical capability; its all down to usability; from which you find fits your hand better to which has more convenient controls; which has better or cheaper or more available lenses or accessories for; and things like whether you have friends or relatives that you might borrow lenses or get user tips from will cont for as much as anything.
You shouldn't be disappointed by either...and buying in to either brand, which between them sell something like 75% of all DSLR's, you get the benefit of all the after-market support and user advice, like Buying a Ford or GM instead of say an Austin-Rover.....
So don't ask us... get hands on and make up your own mind!

Personally I like Nikon... the controls are all pretty intuitive... to me...... hand me a Canon... and I have to do the unthinkable... RTFM....
I found the same some years ago with a friends Nikon.
Having owned a Canon 450D, 40D, 50D, 600D and now an 80D, the only thing I needed to have a look at in the manual was for the new AF point system on the 80D as everything followed suite with the previous ones.
It all depends what you are use too, same as it is with Windows and Apple computers.

Back